Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4k tv and pc gaming "do you?"

cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345

Awhile back I was inquiring about replacing my monitor with a 4k monitor hoping to see some improvement with my new 1080 ti founders edition card. After mulling over and listening to everyones advice, I decided to  keep on with my Dell Ultra Sharp U2713HM. Of course that was until my living room tv died and I bough a Samsung 55 inch 4k UN55KU6290FXZA. So I decided to hook up the pc for giggles and was blown away by the quality. Felt like a whole new gaming experience. One problem though damn its to closed at 4 feet away. Does anyone game like this on a PC? Do you have a desk sitting back more that 10 feet to use it? The quality is amazing.

Comments

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999
    Just sit at normal distance and it is like vr without the headset hassles. 
    Octagon7711
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I use a 46" 4k tv exclusively for my flight simming. 

Perfect application for it.
    [Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    edited June 2017
    I run 27" 2K myself and sit relatively close but 4K looks great on large screens. For less then 30" it is more of a gimmick though.
    PhryOzmodankitarad
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I have a 55" Aquos I run games on sometimes.  It's nice but depends on the quality of the game.  Just as it does with running games on three monitors.  I usually just run them on one 24" monitor as I like to have other stuff playing on the TV, as well as other things running on the other two monitors.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Have a 4k Monitor, but not a 4k TV. :p
    Kilrane
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Had a 4k monitor, but sold it and bought a widescreen 2k and like it much better.  Some games struggle at 4k even on a 1080 while at 2k everything runs at max with no issues.
    [Deleted User]
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    edited June 2017
    Ozmodan said:
    Had a 4k monitor, but sold it and bought a widescreen 2k and like it much better.  Some games struggle at 4k even on a 1080 while at 2k everything runs at max with no issues.
    In my case it is that I really can't see the difference below 30" and using extra resources for something you don't see is not very clever (if you can see it that is great but to me it looks about the same).

And as you say, 4K uses far more then 2k. Still worth it for 30"+ though. :)
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Still ahead of it's time unless spending copious amounts of cash. After much research I agree with others that 4k is largely a gimmick at this stage until proper support from software through hardware properly merges. 

I currently play games on a 1080p 120 Hz tv because it's a multi-media box. I won't upgrade to 4k until every single service fully supports both it and the tv having the full capacity in performance/size to maximize each multi-media source. Anything short of that capacity is money wasted in my view. 

You stay sassy!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited June 2017
    I always game on my big TV now, never my monitor. I don't have a 4k one yet but I plan to get one soon. Sat in my recliner with my Roccat Sova and a massive TV is just the shit.

I sit about 5 ft away from a 50 inch. For some games, where the UI isn't scalable, I find it hard to read UI elements properly or text. I can't imagine going any further back for that reason alone.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
    yea I hate to admit it but playing ESO on this screen is by far hands down better than my Dell Ultra Sharp U2713HM27. I have it eye level at about 4 feet from me on the wall and "just wow"
  • ChikaraxSistineChikaraxSistine Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited June 2017
    Seeing as its a TV I'd sit a bit farther back, when I play games on my TV I'm usually 5ish feet back or so. Eye strain will be real if youre too close but being too far would just be annoying. Maybe test out a few distances and see for yourself. All eyes are different
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I've thought about it. I have a 43" LG 4K in the bedroom and I've been tempted to drag my PC in there and try it out for some console-type gaming from the bed. But my wife would call me a lazy slob (and I already have a Steam Link in there, which is awesome, but she won't let me play it often because she has to watch "her shows").

But for use on my desk, my 24" really just feels about right. I could probably do 27" and not notice a huge difference, but going past that, where I sit at my desk, I feel like I'm swimming in monitor and have to turn my head to see the entirety of the monitor in my peripheral.