Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Take-Two shuts down popular GTA mod toolkit Open IV

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/300088/TakeTwo_shuts_down_popular_GTA_mod_toolkit_Open_IV.php

'Open IV, a hugely popular set of modding tools for Grand Theft Auto V, will no longer be distributed after the creator received a cease and desist notice from publisher Take-Two. '

My guess is that this is a long precursor to a 'paid mods' model. its very much the wrong approach but I think its what they are doing. They will just let it fester for a year or so. 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

bartoni33

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    My guess is somehow money is driving this action.
    Vrikabartoni33MrMelGibsonConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Kyleran said:
    My guess is somehow money is driving this action.
    the question is how. how does shutting down a very popular mod tool make them money

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    No different than Blizzard shutting down Nostalrius... all about redirecting the player base to their newer titles and away from the older ones.  

Money money money, must be funny, in the rich man's world.
    Kyleranlaxie
    edited June 2017
    btdt said:
    No different than Blizzard shutting down Nostalrius... all about redirecting the player base to their newer titles and away from the older ones.  

I am still a little unclear.

Your saying that Take Two is wanting to shut down the service because the do not want people playing GTA 5 as much anymore and instead divert those players to switch other titles?

it seems like a very non-direct and somewhat risky path. Maybe the players instead of leaving GTA 5 for another Take Two Title they instead go play a different game from a different developer. If I was sitting on the meeting of evil ways to make money I would tell them to come up with a better more sollid reliable idea would you?

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    btdt said:
    No.

Pirate server players have not paid and will never pay Blizzard anything for playing on that private servers, whereas GTA V mod users have paid the full price for the use of GTA V.

This would be more comparable to Blizzard shutting down Starcraft II Map editor to make more money.
    bartoni33KyleranMrMelGibson[Deleted User]

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited June 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    btdt said:

Your saying that Take Two is wanting to shut down the service because the do not want people playing GTA 5 as much anymore and instead divert those players to switch other titles?

it seems like a very non-direct and somewhat risky path. Maybe the players instead of leaving GTA 5 for another Take Two Title they instead go play a different game from a different developer. If I was sitting on the meeting of evil ways to make money I would tell them to come up with a better more sollid reliable idea would you?
    Your link is talking GTA 4 not GTA 5

IV=4

V=5

edit: my apologies the mod tool also works with 5

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited June 2017
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    btdt said:

IV=4

V=5

oh wow...intresting. tell me more

what does III stand for? is that 6 not sure.

the mod is IV (which is 4 in roman numeral) but its for GTA 5 (or V if in roman).

I think that is what the article is saying

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    btdt said:

IV=4

V=5

oh wow...intresting. tell me more

what does III stand for? is that 6 not sure.

the mod is IV (which is 4 in roman numeral) but its for GTA 5 (or V if in roman).

I think that is what the article is saying

When I say "my apologies"

It means: " I'm sorry, I fucked up"
    CecropiaConstantineMerus

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Vrika said:
    btdt said:
    No.

Pirate server players have not paid and will never pay Blizzard anything for playing on that private servers, whereas GTA V mod users have paid the full price for the use of GTA V.

This would be more comparable to Blizzard shutting down Starcraft II Map editor to make more money.
    so it really leaves the question open.

I dont see how Take Two makes money off this move.

I still think its to create pain in which later a 'paid mods' model will fix. Not sure though

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    SEANMCAD said:
    btdt said:

Either Take Two has worries about OpenIV Devs making money off of their product or the moders themselves that use said product making money.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    btdt said:

Either Take Two has worries about OpenIV Devs making money off of their product or the moders themselves that use said product making money.
    Maybe,  but why worry about either unless it damages Take Two in some fashion?

I know they said security issues but I would guess it isn't the tool of choice by serious hackers. (or is it?)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

bartoni33 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    btdt said:

I have to agree with Kyleran. That reason doesnt make good business sense they dont make more money by making sure modders dont make money. And more importantly the number of player counts might drop considerably which means no more 'mod of the month!' style articles on gaming sites reminding people that the game is still around.

I dont know how Take Two does business but I know Zenimax just likes to be random dicks and thus far it seems like Take Twos motivation is just to be a dick, nothign else

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179
    And now Steam is flooded with negative reviews for GTA V for shutting down the (single-player) modding tool that helped make the game so popular on PC. And this comes one week before the annual Steam summer sale, which may have meant more sales for Take Two (for those that have not yet bought the game already). It's just poor decision making, or at the very least poor timing. 
    [Deleted User]
    ReesRacer said:
    And now Steam is flooded with negative reviews for GTA V for shutting down the (single-player) modding tool that helped make the game so popular on PC. And this comes one week before the annual Steam summer sale, which may have meant more sales for Take Two (for those that have not yet bought the game already). It's just poor decision making, or at the very least poor timing. 
    oh nice...

I guess the took a short crash course at zenimax on how to just be a dick using the law.
    [Deleted User]

Turns out my guess was right, the reason IS because of a 'paid mod' plan

https://www.pcinvasion.com/creation-club-openiv-shutdown-pressure-pc-mods

Kyleranbartoni33Octagon7711

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Modders aren't making any money so this is basically a shit dick move.
    [Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    Modders aren't making any money so this is basically a shit dick move.
    gotcha!...yup.

they actually spent coding time to create something that people didnt want and took away something that was being created for free that people did want.

takes talent to screw up that bad

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Could this have anything to do with the rampant use of mods and hacks in the online portion of the game? It's a huge problem and has made the online mode extremely frustrating for some people.  

Possibly an attempt to make sure any mods used in game conform with some uniform standard? 

edited June 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    Could this have anything to do with the rampant use of mods and hacks in the online portion of the game? It's a huge problem and has made the online mode extremely frustrating for some people.  

Possibly an attempt to make sure any mods used in game conform with some uniform standard? 
    No. This mod tool does not work on mp, just single player.

And it is made in a way prevents hacking or opening scripts.

wait so they spend code money making a mod creator that is less effective then the one the community was making for them for free so that people would not hack a single player game? AND sent a legal notice to the creators of the free version

WHAT THE FUCK?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited June 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/300088/TakeTwo_shuts_down_popular_GTA_mod_toolkit_Open_IV.php

'Open IV, a hugely popular set of modding tools for Grand Theft Auto V, will no longer be distributed after the creator received a cease and desist notice from publisher Take-Two. '

My guess is that this is a long precursor to a 'paid mods' model. its very much the wrong approach but I think its what they are doing. They will just let it fester for a year or so. 
    People who cheat I have no problem with shutting down, but personally F*** court orders if it was me getting the court order sure, I would comply with a shut-down however before closing down and reading it I would leak all the stuff I ever created including source code public  (A Little Birdy Mysteriously did it years ago, then destroy everything and shut down as the court order says.)

I wouldn't let stupid court orders which are in my book unconstitutional, tell me what I can and can't do regardless of courts decisions that is just me, and there are very few Legal principals I really agree with or live by but that is just the way I feel about situations like this.

For these actions I will not be buying anymore games from *TakeTwo* Interactive unless they drop it.

Hopefully others see this the same way.

There is a difference between modding single player games, and hacking in GTA 5 which is a different story.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Welcome to the new era, Modding shall be a business.

And make no mistake, if this works out for Take Two and Bethesda, the other major companies will make note.  They are testing new grounds for the sake of control modding.

It seems profits of billions per year aren't enough...  O.o

Octagon7711
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    Doesnt have anything to do with paid mods, Take Two just really hates mods.

They've been shutting down mods for GTA for years.
    Nyctelios said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nyctelios said:

No. This mod tool does not work on mp, just single player.

And it is made in a way prevents hacking or opening scripts.

wait so they spend code money making a mod creator that is less effective then the one the community was making for them for free so that people would not hack a single player game? AND sent a legal notice to the creators of the free version

WHAT THE FUCK?????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Yes. The situation is way "dire" than you guys think.

They got a legal Cease and Deist order.

This is legal shit. Not them asking things to stop. They are forcing it to shut down. 
    and now it will make any mod maker of anything nervous to do so.

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    • lol im counting how many people say "im not buying anything from take two ever again!" well see how that changes when Red Dead 2 comes out next year...

anyway..shitty and greedy move by Take Two, I did some more research on this and it seems like they are shutting this down because it has a large user base and they cant make money from it. I don't think it has much to do with Hacking considering its not a Multiplayer thing. Also TT has shut down mods before in the past but i think since the PC community around 5 is way bigger than any other title they have they figure they should monetize it the same as Bethesda. I would not be surprised if they launch their own bethesda net style mod platform this year
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

edited June 2017
    thank god for the current indie scene is all I can say...for now.

guys just go play The Forest instead...seriously
    laxie