Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo MMO(A)RPG?

IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Posted today on Blizzard's Career page.

Production Director, Unannounced Project

"Production Director, Unannounced Project

Production Director roles at Blizzard Entertainment do not come around often, nor does the opportunity to lead the developers of one of the industry’s bestselling, genre-defining RPGs of all-time -- Diablo!

Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a Production Director to bring the Diablo franchise into the future. We’re looking for a well-practiced producer, deeply familiar with the art of game development, our industry, and the AAA environment. The right fit for this position must have the veteran experience and leadership skills to continue keeping the team speeding along, harnessing their creativity, relentlessly clearing the way forward, all the while maintaining clear and constant communication with stakeholders throughout the organization. We believe that for the right person this can be a career-defining opportunity. We’re hoping to hear from the select few that meet the requirements and possess the track record, leadership, and culture fit needed to make an immediate impact on the team. If you share our passion for making the best gaming experiences possible, and are excited by the challenge of helping shape and evolve a world-class development team bursting with energy and imagination, then reach out and let’s talk!

Responsibilities

• Direct game production while successfully partnering with other functional teams, such as finance, marketing, licensing, international, quality assurance, and customer service to deliver an epic gaming experience.
  • Lead production in project scheduling, resource allocation, budgeting, setting appropriate priorities, task tracking, and problem solving.
  • Evangelize efficient processes and policies to team leadership, and internal support organizations.
  • Create and maintain a creative environment, resolve personnel challenges, motivate qualified developers, serve as custodian of team health, and foster a culture of success.
  • Work with international regions to ensure relevant teams have an understanding of market conditions, challenges, player behaviors, and rollout strategies.
  • Involved in P&L, forecasting, budgeting, and business design.
  • Direct strategic analysis of market trends and competition.
  • Coach, and guide the rest of the production team toward achieving their career goals.
  • Stakeholder in studio level strategy, and provide an active voice in resolving global issues.

Requirements

• A minimum of 5 years’ directing video games
  • Shipped multiple AAA products
  • Outstanding communications, project management, and relationship-building skills
  • Recognized ability to grow, guide, and produce large development teams
  • Able to work well in a team environment, and manage multiple complex projects with various groups, such as creative development, marketing, legal, development teams, etc.
  • Experience formulating product messaging and marketing plans, as well as experience with a wide range of business models and monetization methods
  • Exhibited ability to coach and mentor employees at all levels of an organization
  • Bachelor's degree, or equivalent work experience

Pluses

• A passion/interest for developing online video games

Massive multiplayer game development experience

• Strong knowledge of the software / game market and platforms

Required Application Materials

• Resume
  • Cover Letter telling us why you are interested in working at Blizzard and specifically Diablo

**Only submittals with Cover Letters will be considered. "

---

So ! That "Massive Multiplayer game development experience" Pluses .... I LOVE IT! :)

What do you think ? 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited June 2017
    Same birthday wish every year. It seems the gods of Candle Blow have finally granted it.
    SBFord
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited June 2017
    Well, I will say it now : Welcome Diablo MMO. May you raise and shine like your big brother WoW !!

..but the sad part is , we might be able to play it in around 3-4 years :) .. ok ok, 5 :) , since by then, WoW will fade away at an increased speed in comparation with today's .."fade away"!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    They are all about re-using what they have atm so it is possible since all the classes + lore is already made.
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    It could simply mean something more like the current ARPGs, or like Diablo 3.  They had the online multiplayer but weren't true MMOs.  They had massive playerbases online, though ;)
    I think this likely leans more towards a Diablo 4, probably.  I'd be surprised to see Blizzard dive into an MMO after abandoning the genre for easier money.

I have to say, though, the classes in D3 were great, for the most part.  It was the rest of the game that fell short.  So, certainly the classes would be a nice base for an MMO.  Monk class in D3 was incredible.
    D3 is no doubt nearing its end of life after the Necromancer update.  It seems like the time they'd be building a D4.

BTW, haven't they already been hiring for the Diablo team for a while now?
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited June 2017
    With Bioware officially announcing Anthem, it seems that the Destiny type games (what are we calling those? MMO Shooters?) are in full swing.  You have Destiny, The Division, Destiny 2 in September, and Anthem in 2018.  Could Blizzard be using the Diablo IP to create a similar style game?  That would totally be a Blizzard move to use a popular idea and Blizz it up.  Just look at how Overwatch turned out.  I find it hard to believe that Blizzard of all developers wouldn't be trying to capitalize on the "new hotness."  Personally, I think the Starcraft IP would make a much better setting for that kind of game, but neat to consider at any rate. 

Lokero said:

BTW, haven't they already been hiring for the Diablo team for a while now?
    Yes they did, but primary for a HD remake of D2. This is the first time Blizzard is adding "Massive Multiplayer" for a Diablo game in their job description page. Plus, we are talking about a Director position , which clearly says that they already have the project on-going for some time by now.

wanderica said:
    With Bioware officially announcing Anthem, it seems that the Destiny type games (what are we calling those? MMO Shooters?) are in full swing.  You have Destiny, The Division, Destiny 2 in September, and Anthem in 2018.  Could Blizzard be using the Diablo IP to create a similar style game?  That would totally be a Blizzard move to use a popular idea and Blizz it up.  Just look at how Overwatch turned out.  I find it hard to believe that Blizzard of all developers wouldn't be trying to capitalize on the "new hotness."  Personally, I think the Starcraft IP would make a much better setting for that kind of game, but neat to consider at any rate. 
    It might , but it wouldn't make sense because as you said, Starcraft IP would of makes a much better sense for a game like this.

Heck, he might see a survival Massive Multiplayer Diablo game , but I personally just want a real MMO. A real Diablo MMO with 3D person view + Action combat ? That sounds awesome :)
    Tsiya

DMKano said:
    Just because MMO experience is a plus on a resume, it doesnt mean that Diablo MMO is in the works.

This is a great example of people taking one thing way out of context and making it into something thats not really happening.
    While you might have a valid point, I personally don't see the need of "Massive Multiplayer Experience" as a plus in the job description if they are not going to make a "Massive Multiplayer" Diablo game. 

They will need to come up with another MMO in the next years , as WoW will slowly go down to a point where they will really need to bring up a new MMO. 

Also , they learned their lesson with new IP Titan in regards to MMO's. So they will follow the WoW route, meaning they will make a MMO based on one of their most successful game of all time , Diablo. Just think of how many copies they sold with D3. Now , think how successful a Diablo MMO would be for them in terms of revenues. 
    Tsiya

edited June 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    DMKano said:
    Just because MMO experience is a plus on a resume, it doesnt mean that Diablo MMO is in the works.

This is a great example of people taking one thing way out of context and making it into something thats not really happening.
    Second this.

They could make it a mobile thing and the mmorpg experience is for knowledge on player retention.

They have WoW. They wouldn't compete with themselves.

This could be Diablo 4, but Diablo mmorpg? I don't think so.
    They have Starcraft 2 and still , they are making a HD version of Starcraft 1, which , believe me, will be more successful then SC2 !

Also they will make a HD version of D2, so your point is not quite valid. 

Keep in mind that , if they are really working on a Diablo MMO , we might see it happen in around 5 years from now. WoW , believe it or not , will not last forever. 

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    So does that mean it will be even more of a piñata experience than WOW?
    [Deleted User]

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    There is not going to be a Diablo MMORPG if WoW is still alive.
    It would not make any sense (from Blizzard point of view).
    They will try to cover another niche of the gaming market.
    They have a MMORPG, they have a MOBA, they have a Card Game, they have a Multiplayer FPS game.
    So Diablo can be anything except those genres they already cover.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I see a bright future for a mobile Dungeon Hunter game with a Diablo skin, joy.......

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Nyctelios said:
    DMKano said:

Second this.

They could make it a mobile thing and the mmorpg experience is for knowledge on player retention.

They have WoW. They wouldn't compete with themselves.

This could be Diablo 4, but Diablo mmorpg? I don't think so.
    They have Starcraft 2 and still , they are making a HD version of Starcraft 1, which , believe me, will be more successful then SC2 !

Also they will make a HD version of D2, so your point is not quite valid. 

Keep in mind that , if they are really working on a Diablo MMO , we might see it happen in around 5 years from now. Wow , believe it or not , will not last forever. 
    They are not making. It is made.

It is more successful because KR hates SC2. Everyone knows that.

My point is quite valid, it seems you too live in some sort of alternate reality. Open a portal I want to live there, because I want a Diablo MMORPG too, but ain't gonna happen. I'm sorry.
    Fair enough. But would like to see your point of view as to what they are currently working on? As this is an unannounced project which they are working on. And no , it's not D3 related, as this position its for a Director , which means something brand new it's in the works.

DMKano said:
    IceAge said:
    DMKano said:

While you might have a valid point, I personally don't see the need of "Massive Multiplayer Experience" as a plus in the job description if they are not going to make a "Massive Multiplayer" Diablo game. 

They will need to come up with another MMO in the next years , as WoW will slowly go down to a point where they will really need to bring up a new MMO. 

Also , they learned their lesson with new IP Titan in regards to MMO's. So they will follow the WoW route, meaning they will make a MMO based on one of their most successful game of all time , Diablo. Just think of how many copies they sold with D3. Now , think how successful a Diablo MMO would be for them in terms of revenues. 

The reason why MMO experience is a plus is because thats what Blizzard development culture is like.

They want devs that are familiar about developing on a massive playerbase scale, not single player game devs - its a different mindset, different game design.

Even a game like Diablo3 - which as far as battle.net integration supports millions of players on the back end via server clustering which is something that only MMO devs would have experience with.

Those are the real reasons why Blizzard wants MMO devs as all of their online games have millions of players on the server back end
    Wrong, or at least I see it that way. From my point of view, there is a difference between Massive Multiplayer and Massive Playerbase. 

They could of said "Experience with Multiplayer Online Games" or some short of. 
    SlyLoK

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    ste2000 said:
    They have a MMORPG, they have a MOBA, they have a Card Game, they have a Multiplayer FPS game.

My guess is that if they did make a Diablo MMO, it would be targeted at the console crowd and would thus allow them to target a new market segment in comparison to WoW. 

Combined with the top down experience and action combat, it would be a very different beast to WoW and so could work well for them without diminishing WoW by much. 
    CrazKanukIceAge
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    ste2000 said:

My guess is that if they did make a Diablo MMO, it would be targeted at the console crowd and would thus allow them to target a new market segment in comparison to WoW. 

Combined with the top down experience and action combat, it would be a very different beast to WoW and so could work well for them without diminishing WoW by much. 

Agreed, Marvel Heroes is certainly not WoW. I think it's been shown in the last couple years that this is a "real thing". Between Marvel Heroes, Devilian, Guardians of Ember, etc. I just wonder what the model will be. So many free options in this space, does a B2P actually survive? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    On some level Diablo survival MO makes sense as well.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711
    Probably some sort of mobile based game

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
    Roguewiz said:
    Probably some sort of mobile based game
    Nope! They have King for that .

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    This post is irrelevant. We all know that Blizzard has a pathetically long development cycle. It will easily be 15 years before the supposedly "Blizzard MMO" even enters beta.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Blizzard isn't going to make MMORPG's like WoW anymore. That time has passed after Titan's cancelation.

MMORPG development is too big a risk these days.

Massive Multiplayer experience doesn't mean anything other than having experience in the field of Online games with large infrastructure.
    Destiny has this. Overwatch has this. Diablo 3 has this. All three no MMO's, but are basically Massive Multiplayer due to sheer scope and size.

It will most likely be just Diablo 4 with a stronger Online component or a Diablo eSports type of game, since that seems to be Blizzard main direction these days. eSports, eSports and more eSports!
  • InsaneD2InsaneD2 Member CommonPosts: 2

2017 Insane D2 Mod for Diablo II LOD

• Design of i-D2 is to farm Act 1 - 5 and cow level, party playing is good, but solo playing is ok.

• High Resolutions patch supported, <= 1920x1080

• Custom Unique & Set Items

• Monsters / Elite Monsters / Uber Monsters / balanced, increased random affixes

• Stats and affixes, full balanceds  [ by master starcraft 2 player ]

• Characters, Skills, skill effects, update from A to Z

• D2 PvP is a fun experience + full updated skills, items, effects

• no any pay-to-win, no rewards, no items, no commercial purpose, no impact in game

• New Characters Skills

Examples:

- Barbarian: Whirlwind = powerfull deadly cleave attack, you can use Whirlwind cleave + Frenzy/Stun for example

- Sorc: Fire Orb

- Necromancer: summons in hell cast spells, for example, Wizard Skeletons cast frozen orb, 

you can summons some powerfull dps summons : 

Zombies: cold/poison Spells and attack

1 Chaos Monster lightning spells,

Golems = Summons 2, 3 Fire Golems, based on the skill level, or Iron Golem a strong summon with good unique items, % procs

• Insane D2 Youtube Vids

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    nah , they will make something anything but not another MMORPG
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395

An MMORPG based on Diablo?   I found their story and lore to be pretty poor and pedestrian.  Not worth pumping up into a full MMO.  Not a big fan at any level, so it has no resonance personally.

Alomar

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

An MMORPG based on Diablo?   I found their story and lore to be pretty poor and pedestrian.  Not worth pumping up into a full MMO.  Not a big fan at any level, so it has no resonance personally.

Well , I didn't read any of Diablo books , but I know that there is a lot of story and lore behind Diablo. 

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Diablo_book_series

Plus , some others which are not there , plus internal unreleased lore & story .

Anyway , we are talking about Blizzard after all. Look at Overwatch. 

So yeah! They have lore and story to make a Diablo MMORPG easily :) They will make it? I don't know, I hope so , but Blizzard has start working on the next Diablo game , be it MMORPG or not. 

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Maybe it'll be another arpg but with emphasis on larger party synergy.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Aren't several WoW skills or classes basically variants of Diablo's already, anyways?  At least last I checked some of the skills, but it's been years since then...
    Myrdynn