Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which IP would make the best MMO

Comments

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    I think "Is it wrong to try to pick up girls in a dungeon?" would make a good MMO IP.  It has everything I could think of that is needed in a MMO.  From lots of races to pick from, guilds, out of dungeon life, 60 or more levels of dungeon to play in, and cheap to way over priced weapons and aromor to buy.  Plus levels were, if you are brave enough to build your dream home or store.
    cameltosis
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    DMKano said:
    Galadourn said:
    Dragonlance
    This. The perfect setting. Factions. Dragons. Gods. Would make for a perfect MMO if implemented right

But anything would make a perfect MMO if implemented right - lore is a side dish if the gameplay is done right.
    True, but the lore building blocks of an IP can make the effort harder or easier
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited June 2017
    Dakeru said:
    Distopia said:
     gameplay isn't something that draws me in longterm
    But surely you are aware that this puts you into a niche community.
    How often have you heard people say: "The gameplay was total shit but I loved the game anyway"
    In the RPG world that's quite normal... Look at Morrowind. As well as a number of other high profile titles. 
    MrMelGibson

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Dakeru said:
    A good IP is in no way a guarantee to build "the best mmo"
    Exactly. Gameplay trumps everyhing.
    You two should go to your favorite game's cash shop and purchase a +10 potion of reading comprehension.

I guess it's hard to comprehend that lore doesn't make the game good, but gameplay does? 

Ehm - maybe you need a potion, eh?
    For a shooter, a PVP game, a platformer, etc, sure, those games are always built on game-play first. Story and lore really mean squat in those games. RPG's and adventure games on the other hand, not so much, polished game-play is rarely the draw, as they usually don't have it. Polished gameplay isn't what made Morrowind special as an example (even at the time it was rather clunky).. SAme with something like Shenmue. It's the story and atmosphere built into their worlds and backstory that make them compelling. 

Po_gg

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Terraria.  
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Eldurian said:
    Wheel of Time sounds awesome at first but I think it would be a very niche title.

"I want to play a male caster!"

"Cool so you want to play a hunted and despised character who is slowly going insane until you finally are either caught by the Red Ajah and gentled or go mad enough to blow yourself everyone and around you up?"

Not saying it couldn't be done well and be amazing. But it would have to be developed by an incredibly competent development team who are great at problem solving and extremely capable of thinking outside the box. Even then I still think it would have limited appeal.

If it was well made though I would absolutely love to do an Aes Sedai warder pair with my fiancé though.
    To be fair are there other eras you can set it in where male Aes Sedai don't have that power but even set around the books it certainly could be interesting to play someone hunted, despiced and who constantly risk becoming mad if you use to much magic.

For a storybased MMO it certainly have a huge potential. Also, there will be a show based on it, it have been licensed by Sony entertainment, the IP could become very popular with mainstream media fast if done right, worked fine for another certain IP after all....

Also, WoT  have a rather different aproach to how magic work, if you could make a good working mechanic for that you would get something that felt very different to play which is good.

But a WoT MMO would probably just be Wow or Lotro in a slightly different world and that would suck.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Hatefull said:
    Three Musketeers...now there is something worth pondering. Great suggestion.
    I been pitching for that one a long time, I am of the opinion that we could use a historical MMO without elves and magic and the IP have been very popular for the last 150 years which is rather hard to top.

But it would need a far better combat system then a game with healing and fireballs, all combat comes down to rapiers and one shot wheellock pistols (and muskets of course) so you need improvements to make things interesting and tactical.
    Hatefull
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Code club

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• RelampagoRelampago Member UncommonPosts: 445
    Forgotten Realms, DragonLance, Wheel of Time, 3 Musketeers are all ones culled from this list that would be towards the top of mine.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Robotech, Star Wars
    grimal
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522
    John Wick.  Think about it. Continental Hotels all over the world.  Centralized mission (contract) base. Fast cars, lots of guns, gear stashes, hand to hand combat. Would be a blast!
    Octagon7711cameltosisSteelhelm

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Binny45 said:
    John Wick.  Think about it. Continental Hotels all over the world.  Centralized mission (contract) base. Fast cars, lots of guns, gear stashes, hand to hand combat. Would be a blast!
    Too much like what TSW should have been

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Death Gate Cycle - by Margaret Weis/Tracy Hickman
    Dragonlance

Cryomatrix
    Hatefull
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    High School Musical
    Dakeruwaynejr2Steelhelm

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Galadourn said:
    DMKano said:
    Galadourn said:
    Dragonlance
    This. The perfect setting. Factions. Dragons. Gods. Would make for a perfect MMO if implemented right

But anything would make a perfect MMO if implemented right - lore is a side dish if the gameplay is done right.
    True, but the lore building blocks of an IP can make the effort harder or easier
    True if you have a STO, SWTOR, or any IP that has a built-in fan base.  A lot of people will play it for the name alone and even put up with bad game mechanics just to play in the theme park.  
    Distopia

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Galadourn said:
    DMKano said:
    Galadourn said:
    Dragonlance

In all fairness gameplay in MMORPGs has always been fair to middling. 

Their real strengths (largely forgotten)  lie in opportunities for socialization, player interaction (both good and bad), and a strong sense of progression.

I can do a lot of crap activities if they support the above.  In fact one of my objections to engaging action combat is it interferes greatly with socialization.

As I said in another thread, in a MMORPG gameplay is definitely not the most important thing. I'd even go so far as to suggest many LOTRO, SWTOR and ESO players are there as much if not more for the lore rather than the game play.

Kano doesn't care about such things so can't understand how a well known IP might make things easier.

It's the difference between living in virtual worlds vs just playing games.
    [Deleted User]DistopiaMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Galadourn said:
    DMKano said:
    Galadourn said:
    Dragonlance

True if you have a STO, SWTOR, or any IP that has a built-in fan base.  A lot of people will play it for the name alone and even put up with bad game mechanics just to play in the theme park.  
    I think I'd believe that a bit more, @Octagon7711, if the fans of a specific IP moved en masse.  Sure, Star Trek and Star Wars have vastly greater numbers of fans than Warcraft did, but why did World of Warcraft become more popular than STO or SW:TOR?  There are far more fans of the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises.

My answer to that is always that Blizzard successfully converted Warcraft RTS players into WoW players because the IP was produced by the same source and was of high quality.  That  helped ensure a consistency to the IP, and a dedication to quality.  Essentially, WoW didn't ask Warcraft fans to overlook bad game mechanics.  My belief is that Cryptic's interpretation of the Star Trek universe was unacceptably different from Roddenberry's Star Trek as implemented by NBC/Desilu and later Paramont Studios.  Fans didn't like the differences, and didn't play.  Probably the same happened with the Star Wars franchise.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Thoth_MosheThoth_Moshe Member UncommonPosts: 240
    edited June 2017
    Dakeru said:
    Distopia said:
    How often have you heard people say: "The gameplay was total shit but I loved the game anyway"
    I used to wait for hours just to get a group and then spend hours in one spot with the group killing one creature at a time (Usually crabs) just to get one level up, all because it was called Final Fantasy 11.
    MrMelGibson
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Mendel said:
    Galadourn said:
    DMKano said:
    Galadourn said:
    Dragonlance

I think I'd believe that a bit more, @Octagon7711, if the fans of a specific IP moved en masse.  Sure, Star Trek and Star Wars have vastly greater numbers of fans than Warcraft did, but why did World of Warcraft become more popular than STO or SW:TOR?  There are far more fans of the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises.

My answer to that is always that Blizzard successfully converted Warcraft RTS players into WoW players because the IP was produced by the same source and was of high quality.  That  helped ensure a consistency to the IP, and a dedication to quality.  Essentially, WoW didn't ask Warcraft fans to overlook bad game mechanics.  My belief is that Cryptic's interpretation of the Star Trek universe was unacceptably different from Roddenberry's Star Trek as implemented by NBC/Desilu and later Paramont Studios.  Fans didn't like the differences, and didn't play.  Probably the same happened with the Star Wars franchise.
    WoW became popular because they took what was available at the time and made a better version of MMO.   Popular IP's take into account the fan base so they push more to take advantage of the IP which ironically tends to push some of the dedicated fanbases away.  But there will always be some who play an MMO just because of its popular theme.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Dakeru said:
    Distopia said:
    I used to wait for hours just to get a group and then spend hours in one spot with the group killing one creature at a time (Usually crabs) just to get one level up, all because it was called Final Fantasy 11.
    I played 11 too and I liked the combat.
    You had plenty of time during pulls to talk to your team.
    The Job System was great fun.

Do you deny that the Job System was part of the reason why people played this game?
    Octagon7711
    Harbinger of Fools
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    Galadourn said:
    Dragonlance

Make an MMORPG about running a game company making an MMORPG.  You are competing against all other players building their MMORPG.  Fighting over resources such as staff.  Deciding if you want to push graphics beyond the current bleeding edge (pushing is expensive and costs time) and game play options.  The market place will be NPCs with various but unknown qualities that affect games they might try or stay with.   Will you try to rush your game to market or take your time to do it  "right"?
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Underworld

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Hell On Wheels

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    waynejr2 said:
    waynejr2 said:
    This is too subjective.

Yeah dude, that's how opinions work.  Anyway, I vote Dragonlance!

Imo, the best would be an original IP and forget using an existing IP.

This.
    IMO, IPs just don't lend well to MMORPGs. Worlds and stories that are centered around an individual or a small group do not translate well well to "massively multiplayer" Also, being bound by someone else's lore will limit creativity in your MMO and at some point, you end up with an MMO that, on a good day, vaguely resembles the IP it was based on.