Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Difficulty choosing a class

furion1025furion1025 Member UncommonPosts: 45
Hey folks,

so since Morrowing came out, I decided to give it a go, since I absolutely love the exploration in TESO. Oh, it also "feels" like an MMORPG. Probably the visuals. Matter of taste I guess.

Anyhow, I've had difficulty choosing a class... it's been a pain. I like swords and bows and healing, by the way.

Warden - looks like a very loveable class, but boy did I hear it's shit. Yeah, I'm not a min/max type of dude, but playing a class I know won't be too popular in dungeons is a no for me. Feels like a time waste, since it seems like they won't be accepted later on in the game.

Sorcerer - probably a closest option. It heals, it deals damage. I also loved the sorceress elf chick from the trailer. They really good all in all?

Templar - no. I like swords and bows. They just make up spears?

Dragon Knight - swords, bows. Check. Healing???

Nightblade - OK, but... healing?

Appreciate any comments!

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've leveled every class, play mostly PvE, no crafting, and just using gear and weapons from quests and drops.  So far Warden is pretty good.  Took about two weeks to get him to 50 taking my time.  I usually play every class to lvl 20 and then go with the one I like the best.  If the questing is good I lvl each class up.  If this is a game you plan on playing for years just pick the one that matches your playstyle.  
    furion1025LucienRenebartoni33

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Templar - no. I like swords and bows. They just make up spears?

Templar uses swords and/or bows. There are no spears though I think you are thinking of one of their skills.

My Templar uses a 2 hander.
    MrMelGibsonbartoni33
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The Warden is definitely not shit lol. They rock in dungeons whether tanking, healing or DPSing with a stamina/melee build or magicka ranged.

What you have heard is the end-game min-maxers talking about how they can't match the DPS that other classes can do. Which is true enough but also very exaggerated.

I've leveled two to CP 610 and I've never had even a hint of anyone not wanting me in normal or veteran dungeons.

I don't do trials so I have no idea how they do there.
    AvarixLucienReneMrMelGibsonbartoni33
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• puchiiipuchiii Member UncommonPosts: 2
    All classes can heal and use all weapons. Mainly as a stamina player, ur gonna have "vigor" and "rally" for healing, which all classes get access to.
    For main bow builds, i think nightblade has the best kit. 

furion1025
  • ConquerorWormConquerorWorm Member UncommonPosts: 10
    edited June 2017
    Templar is the best class hands down.
    All classes use the same weapons.
    Templar have a spear class skill that rocks but is not a required skill to use. Best healers in game, darn good dps builds.
    Dragon Knights have the worst class animations in game. I hate their wimpy flame whip animation. I hate their flying rock fist that gives you a mud outfit. I hate their spike crap armor. I hate their beating heart heal animation.
    Sorcerer has really annoying lightning effect buffs and I hate hate hate pet classes.
    Nightblade has good skill animations but all healing is done with leeches or resto staff. Great dps, and most vampirish for roleplaying a vamp.
    Warden from what I have played seem ok except I hate pet builds so their perm summon bear is a big no for me.

To each their own, but for me that is by far the Templar.

LucienRenefurion1025Phry
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Tank = DK
    DPS= Sorc
    Healer= Templar

Anything outside of the meta will mean not being taken seriously in endgame.  One of the games weaknesses tbh.
    LucienReneSlyLoKfurion1025MrMelGibsonMargrave

Warden from what I have played seem ok except I hate pet builds so their perm summon bear is a big no for me.

Which is why very few high level wardens use the bear.

For magicka the Blue Betty that gives you +20% damage is considered a pet for purposes of the Necropotence 5-piece bonus. My magden ultimates are Northern Storm and Elemental Rage.

My stamden slots Rend and Flawless Dawnbreaker.

The bear ultimate is OK for leveling and that's about it. It's only a pet build if you want it to be. Every summon other than the grizzly is just a temporary graphic effect.

Oh and BTW, whenever one of the temporary pets is used for DPS (or even when the free-to-cast netch expires) you get 1.6-2.4K passive self heal. The only summoning ability that doesn't proc that heal is the speed buff.
    furion1025MrMelGibsonbartoni33
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• furion1025furion1025 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    So apparently Warden ain't that bad after all.

Hm. Sorc or Warden, Sorc or Warden, Sorc or Warden?

Try them both to level 20 and then decide, but...

You'll probably pick the second one of the two you try because you'll be more familiar with the game so the second one will feel more comfortable :)
    Kyleranfurion1025Arglebargle

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    I'm loving my warden, i think it would be a great class choice for a new player tbh.
    furion1025bartoni33
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • furion1025furion1025 Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Thanks!
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I LOVE my Frost Tank Warden!

furion1025
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Personally,  I'm not feeling the warden.  Having a whole class skill line dedicated to healing is boring to me.  It's not a terrible class at all, just not for me I guess.  I love my Sorcerer and night blade the most.  Templar and DK are good too.
    furion1025
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    :gasp:  you better FEEL the Warden
    MrMelGibson
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    SaunZ said:
    I might give it another shot eventually.  Frost tank sounds decent.  
    SaunZ said:
    I might give it another shot eventually.  Frost tank sounds decent.  
    It's good in PVP but sort of lacks the mob gathering CC that DKs have with talons and the chain pull in PVE.
    MrMelGibson

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TaneonTaneon Member UncommonPosts: 53

I don't exactly understand why you don't go with Templar if you like healing. Hands down best healing class and don't know where you got the idea you cant use sword or bow (and there is no spear weapon in TESO). I actually prefer bow on my Templar healer as a secondary weapon to do some damage in dungeons.
    And while Warden can be a decent healer, in my experience Sorcs are very limited as healers, especially in end game veteran dungeons or trials.
    Phry
    Taneon said:

I don't exactly understand why you don't go with Templar if you like healing. Hands down best healing class and don't know where you got the idea you cant use sword or bow (and there is no spear weapon in TESO). I actually prefer bow on my Templar healer as a secondary weapon to do some damage in dungeons.
    And while Warden can be a decent healer, in my experience Sorcs are very limited as healers, especially in end game veteran dungeons or trials.
    Just curious... are you running a hybrid healer spec? Running a weapon that takes its damage from stamina and weapon damage on your second bar sounds pretty odd to me.

My Templar healer and most every healer I see in dungeons runs resto/destro ( and typically a lightning destro to set enemies off balance) as their weapons. Elemental drain from the destro skills is pretty well expected as a debuff that also restores magicka to anyone attacking that target. Also the destro staff abilities that do damage use the same resources, magicka and spell damage, that a healer wants to stack for healing.
    MrMelGibson

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    I'm still leveling the warden and here's my setup on it so far. I'm magicka with destro/resto adding 5/1 magicka/health for my stats. I'm in full light armour but haven't tried for farm set pieces yet. I'm just playing storyline, world quest, public dungeons, dolmans, and that sort of stuff. 

Bar 1 is Destro (lightning): enchanted growth, swarm, winter's revenge, screaming cliff racer, scorch, and feral guardian

Bar 2 is Resto: enchanted growth, healing seed, regeneration, swarm, screaming cliff racer, feral guardian

Bar 1 is where I spend most my time. Bar 2 needs a rework but is mostly for public dungeons if others need healing. If I really needed I could put secluded grove on there, but no content I've done has really warranted it. Bar2 has saved my bacon a couple of times solo but mostly if I can't self heal off the shrooms and animal skills I'm probably going down or retreating anyway.

Overall I like the class a lot. The bear could be better but is actually great for leveling and hits decently. Warning though it will not obey your "don't hurt innocents" flag. This came in handy on a stealth quest to talk to the Scarlet Judge. I just healed the bear and let him kill the guards as an experiment.
    You should do some questing in Rivenspire and get 5 pieces of Necropotence. It gives you a lot of extra magicka (and damage) whenever you have a pet out. My magicka warden is running around with 45K magicka and that's with just green and blue Necropotence garbage drops. That's equivalent to 4500 spell damage.

And when you get the Blue Betty, it's a game changer: +20% damage, + magicka regen and best of all, it counts as having a pet out for the purposes of the Necropotence 5-piece bonus.

The Warden still needs more of a buff (and apparently it's coming) to make its DPS competitive at the highest end PVE but it works just fine even in its current state in less demanding content including veteran dungeons.

Oh, and if you really want to have some fun in those trespassing quests in Vvardenfell, take a side trip over to Anvil just long enough to complete the Dark Brotherhood's quick little intro quest. You get rewarded with the Blade of Woe that let's you kill those guards in one shot without getting any kind of bounty or heat as long as you're not seen doing it.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited June 2017
    Torval said:
    @Iselin thanks for the tips, especially the dark brotherhood.

I've been doing the random pilfering and I may dabble with the thieves guild, but I've not yet done any dark brotherhood content. I'm trying to reconcile the experience and story with my character's persona and being a warden (which I have a hard time imagining as an assassin), but it's coming together.

I'll make a detour to Rivenspire on my way back to Vvardenfell. I had to spring rescue Lyris and Abnur Tharn (read I ran a few harborage quests for cheap skill points) on the side. I sort of hate going to a zone to try and farm set pieces, but I would really love to have a good set of gear.
    Yeah I'm not much of a grinder either. I got my Necropotence pieces just questing through the zone naturally which is my preferred way to do content. 

Some of the pieces come as quest rewards. Delve and Public dungeon bosses can drop them. Any treasure chest you find can have them as well as dolmen chests and Thieve's Troves. You can also get them every now and then from regular mobs anywhere in the zone.

Just doing the zone normally you can't help but end up with 5 or more pieces.

Edit: And BTW, the Rivenspire zone story line is one of the better ones in the game,
    Post edited by Iselin on
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    My favorite builds are the ones where I go against the typical expectation for the class or race. Just pick a race and class you like, and mix it up! 
    MrMelGibson