Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LFGame: MMORPG, not one of the big 4

paleocatpaleocat Member UncommonPosts: 12
edited June 2017 in LFGame
So let me get this out first, I do NOT want to play:

FFXIV
GW2
WoW
ESO
Wildstar

I am not into any of those, so throw them out of the discussion please.

I am looking for (in order of importance):

Age: 2012 or newer (I am a fan of really nice graphics but good gameplay would make this a non-issue)
PvE focus (PvP can be there, but don't force me to do it to get anything done)
Mounts
Housing
Decent story (Sorry, Tera, your story is basically non-existent imo)
Decent crafting 
Action-like combat
Fantasy I prefer fantasy but would give something else a try, just not really a fan of FPS in general anymore
Solo ability- I'd prefer to not interact with the "community" at all if possible, so being able to do things on my own is a big plus. If I have to, I guess I have to but it'd be great if I could be by myself.

Things I like to do in MMO's:
Beat the crap out of rare/elites/BAM's by myself, craft, gather, put stuff in house, if I can find a guild full of people who aren't dramatic all the time I enjoy grouping and raiding, PuG's on occasion. Also I tend to play hunter's (with pet if possible) first, tanks and healers after that.

Now to my reasons why I don't like the first 5:
FFXIV- while this game is really one of the best games I've ever played, I am not fond of how some parts of it are implemented. Housing for example. Unless you're on a zero pop server and have amassed billions of gil, you won't get a house. You can possibly find an apartment that you can't even log back into once you log out. However if I could find another game with such emphasis on story, I'd be in.

GW2- No real sense of accomplishment with just clearing some hearts on a map. 

WoW- Well...it's WoW. Actually, I tried to get back into WoW not too long ago. Community is crap. Trying to figure out everything after being away for 4 years is crap. 

ESO- I hate the fact that there is no real auction house and I have to be part of a guild to use one or to put things up on there. Dumbest thing I've heard of in all of my life. Yes I know I can use the black market or whatever it's called and pay an exorbitant amount in fees to buy things off there but why should that even be a thing? Terrible. Also for some reason, the "classes" just don't work for me. They just do not compute in my head. 

Wildstar- just not into it. 

Rift- so I thought about going back to Rift, and I did try it again. The combat isn't all that great, I mean it's not... impactful? Let's call it that. And I have always hated the art style. I played this when it first came out for a LONG time and I have always hated the art style. But coming back to it after all this time, the combat just isn't doing it for me.

Comments

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Lol, big four. 

So EQ2 and Lotro come before most of them and EQ2 came before all of that list. 

Anyway there are two to add to your list. EQ2 time line server is right up your street. Content wise there is no mmo that comes close except perhaps WOW and older mmo like EQ1. 

• xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    LoL, big four (even though he listed FIVE MMOs)... :smirk:

Btw, Black Desert is the only thing that comes to my mind. Give it a shot, at least for next one month.

Kyleran

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I would say Black desert online, but I am still a low level (22) in that game.  I bought in on steam with the explorers pack for only $30 (normally was like $120).  I have played a lot of MMOs and it is overwhelming especially at first.  Only thing I dont like are the mobs are so easy to kill, but I hear that changes once you get to higher levels.  There are no dungeons (currently), but at higher levels there are hard mobs to kill. 
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    OP you are basically describing BDO...your search is over.

KyleranAzaron_Nightblade

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    jitter77 said:
    I would say Black desert online, but I am still a low level (22) in that game.  I bought in on steam with the explorers pack for only $30 (normally was like $120).  I have played a lot of MMOs and it is overwhelming especially at first.  Only thing I dont like are the mobs are so easy to kill, but I hear that changes once you get to higher levels.  There are no dungeons (currently), but at higher levels there are hard mobs to kill. 
    hmm i wonder when that is at lvl 47 , i have yet to die and it hasnt changed , The PVE is awful , maybe the worst i have experienced , And am almost always fighting mobs a 2-5 levels higher .. Its a shame , the game has some good features .. But the PVE is just awful
  • paleocatpaleocat Member UncommonPosts: 12
    edited June 2017
    I meant 5 but was too lazy to change my title so I just left it there. I have BDO, and I played it a bit, but I had been hearing awful awful things about it from some of the reviewers, so I left it alone. Things like you have to do grinding for months only to get shit on with RNG and have to go back to grinding again, basically wasting time and energy for nothing. I have no luck. RNGesus and I are old enemies. I really do not want to waste 3 months trying to get one thing only for that one thing to be completely awful (this doesn't include games having expansions making your old gear outdated, that's a necessary evil). 

However, I will give it a shot again. I might as well I do have the explorer's pack as well.

Edit: BDO is NOT it. I had forgotten that you are PvP on at lvl 45.  No ty. I'd like to enjoy my gaming experience, and forced pvp is not it.
    Post edited by paleocat on
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    Scorchien said:
    jitter77 said:
    hmm i wonder when that is at lvl 47 , i have yet to die and it hasnt changed , The PVE is awful , maybe the worst i have experienced , And am almost always fighting mobs a 2-5 levels higher .. Its a shame , the game has some good features .. But the PVE is just awful

I hear 50+ but i dont know
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    swtor if you havent tried it
    Gorwe

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    paleocat said:
    I meant 5 but was too lazy to change my title so I just left it there. I have BDO, and I played it a bit, but I had been hearing awful awful things about it from some of the reviewers, so I left it alone. Things like you have to do grinding for months only to get shit on with RNG and have to go back to grinding again, basically wasting time and energy for nothing. I have no luck. RNGesus and I are old enemies. I really do not want to waste 3 months trying to get one thing only for that one thing to be completely awful (this doesn't include games having expansions making your old gear outdated, that's a necessary evil). 

However, I will give it a shot again. I might as well I do have the explorer's pack as well.

Edit: BDO is NOT it. I had forgotten that you are PvP on at lvl 45.  No ty. I'd like to enjoy my gaming experience, and forced pvp is not it.
    You can choose to not do the PVP quest and freeze your level which some choose to do.

Also the penalties for ganking are pretty steep so occurances are rare and normally only occur in a few of the high traffic leveling areas.

Or so I've read.

Azaron_Nightblade

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    paleocat said:

To be fair, PvP rarely happens outside of grindspots. If you like gathering and crafting, you're practically never going to be attacked.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Wildstar doesn't count because it is a ghost town with 2 people who speak chinese at the starting zones and some afk max level sitting in town.
    paleocat

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• SaelemSaelem Member UncommonPosts: 31
    edited June 2017
    Akulas said:
    Wildstar doesn't count because it is a ghost town with 2 people who speak chinese at the starting zones and some afk max level sitting in town.

Which is kind of sad since I feel it outclasses a lot of more popular MMOs. I've always thought it was a really well done game. It just can't catch fire after the bad start and now they can't afford to properly expand it due to such diminished resources.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited June 2017
    DMKano said:
    Trove.

It will surprise you after you get over the voxel graphics. Seemingly simple but has lots of underlying features
    Just remember if you try it, its ran by Trion Worlds.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul