Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Richard Garriot games and RMT

blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
How big of a deal was RMT in Ultima Online?  I never played UO so I can't speak to how ingrained RMT was for that game, but I do know from experience with Shroud of the Avatar that it is being designed around RMT.  Even the developers have been known to talk about the importance of RMT regarding the game economy.  Just a few minutes in the official player market and anyone will see how big of a deal RMT is in Shroud of the Avatar.  They are even pushing a really strange looking Trusted Trader program and now with this recent post by Richard Garriott, it kinda seems like he's using RMT as a point to rally early backers to his new equity crowdfunding campaign.

Richard Garriott says: "Portalarium is working with SeedInvest to position ourselves to best support the game in a live environment. We need finance and marketing people as well as cash to spend on advertising to bring new players into the game. This will make all the early backer efforts pay off all the more, as the more players in the game, the more fun, the better in game economy, etc."

I would argue that a really awesome game experience would do all that too.  Not a big fan of RMT myself.

Comments

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited June 2017
    Richard didn't have much to do with UO. He left just under three years after it released. The rest of the seventeen years are EA's doing.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    They can spend as much money in advertisement as they like, but bottom line is; the game sucks.

They should invest the money in redesigning the core of the game so people who already bought the game (like me) can enjoy it and spread the word (free marketing).
    I also don't want to play with the Whales, so an extra Whale free server would be appreciated.

RexKushmanRawyn

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    ste2000 said:
    They can spend as much money in advertisement as they like, but bottom line is; the game sucks.

They should invest the money in redesigning the core of the game so people who already bought the game (like me) can enjoy it and spread the word (free marketing).
    I also don't want to play with the Whales, so an extra Whale free server would be appreciated.

I might actually go back and play if they did that.

It's not that they're whales...it's that they are the drip-tray of the community.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited June 2017
    I believe the difference is in UO RG didn't realize players would pay real money for virtual goods such as housing or gear.

So there was a thriving RMT industry that exploded aound but outside of UO but the devs didn't get anything directly from it.

At first there were vigorious efforts to combat RMT but when it became too much effort to fight it developers decided to join in and direct the money their way.

With the shift from steady sub income to a cash shop payment model devs quickly learned to design their games to strongly encourage players to spend and in fact some players go all in for thousands a month.

SotA isn't the cause of this RMT phenomenon, just one severe example of a monetization strategy most devs are following today. (to a greater or lesser degree)

RG and team didn't "start the fire" but they are clearly out there fanning the flames. ;)
    RawynEarthgirl

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    So last week it was they needed money to become publishers and this week they need money for marketing. Always spinning it. There's nothing good about what 11-18 mil already spent on this piece of poop and them needing even more money now? Anyone that was gonna play this game is already playing .. a few hundred people. They made a crap game and wasted millions of dollars and all they have left is the whales they catered to.

Enjoy your time in your big empty player owned towns and ghost town of a game until they go bankrupt and have to shut down.
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Rawyn said:
    So last week it was they needed money to become publishers and this week they need money for marketing. Always spinning it. There's nothing good about what 11-18 mil already spent on this piece of poop and them needing even more money now? Anyone that was gonna play this game is already playing .. a few hundred people. They made a crap game and wasted millions of dollars and all they have left is the whales they catered to.

Enjoy your time in your big empty player owned towns and ghost town of a game until they go bankrupt and have to shut down.

Their series A investors, that gave them $7 Million aren't giving them any more money for marketing... hello!
    Rawyn
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited June 2017
    Rawyn said:

Their series A investors, that gave them $7 Million aren't giving them any more money for marketing... hello!
    I guess peeps with real deep pockets are onto them, I don't blame em. There a few hundred whales left I expect they'll make at least 500k on the seedinvest from those suckers lol. How anyone could still believe this game will get millions of people to play it just plain sad but hilarious at the same time. I just can't feel sorry for stupidity lol.

ste2000