Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looks like ESO is now over the 10 Million units sold mark

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited June 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    I think the game is solid and their pricing model is actually fair.  To sell 10 million copies is a nice achievement.  I remember back in 2012 when EA was hyping SWTOR because it had sold over 2 million copies.  Ark is a solid game and has only sold around 5 million copies.
    1. Ark has been avaible for purchase for less time
    2. Ark is an Early Access title which alone scares a lot of people off
    3. Ark doesnt remotely have in the same universe level of marketing spending and stradegy as Elder Scrolls title has and YES that makes a huge difference
    4. Ark doesnt have name branding like 'elder scrolls'

its more accurate to compare Ark to Flappy Birds
    It is more accurate to compare MMORPG sales to other MMORPGs.
    no its not.

comparing the sales of Wurm to the sales of WoW or ESO is silly. THose games easily have marketing budgets larger then the entire development of a game like Wurm. 

its delisional to think the two are in the same playing field when it comes to marketing
    You do go all over the map. You didn't mention WURM, you put forth several non MMORPGs as examples to downplay the ESO figures 

So lets compare it to all of the indie MMORPGS which have wildly successful sales with no marketing budget.

Wait, you can't.  Now if you want to compare the success of GTA (all 5 versions) to Minecraft, go for it.
    ExcessionConstantineMerusMrMelGibsonNyghthowler

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Xodic said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    I think the game is solid and their pricing model is actually fair.  To sell 10 million copies is a nice achievement.  I remember back in 2012 when EA was hyping SWTOR because it had sold over 2 million copies.  Ark is a solid game and has only sold around 5 million copies.
    3. Ark doesnt remotely have in the same universe level of marketing spending and stradegy as Elder Scrolls title has and YES that makes a huge difference

no its not.

comparing the sales of Wurm to the sales of WoW or ESO is silly. THose games easily have marketing budgets larger then the entire development of a game like Wurm. 

its delisional to think the two are in the same playing field when it comes to marketing
    If it's delusional to compare Wurm to Wow when it comes to marketing, why would you compare games that are in completely different markets?
    oh so we can only compare MMO to MMO and only to a specific market.

sounds like special snowflakism to me
    CalexNebilimpostlarval

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I predicted 10 million before launch... JS feel free to scroll through discussion  ;)
    SlyLoKBislobo
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    edited June 2017
    Ironically a colleague at work purchased this game for him and his son to play about a week ago and he is a pretty casual gamer.  He comes up to me today and says wow, ESO is nothing like skyrim, they sure took a big step backwards.     How do people accept this after skyrim was released?  I told him its a different type of game explaining a MMO and single player experience.  He said well these mmo's have  a way to go.   I just let it go but my point is there are many people out there just like this who don't understand the basic differences.  Remember on here were are the small percentage of a much larger community.
    [Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    This is good news for a great game. I think any good news in this genre is good for the genre as a whole.
    [Deleted User]BisloboExcessionJeleenaNyghthowler
    Chamber of Chains
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Great.. slowly climbing the sales ladder.
    Bislobo
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ironically a colleague at work purchased this game for him and his son to play about a week ago and he is a pretty casual gamer.  He comes up to me today and says wow, ESO is nothing like skyrim, they sure took a big step backwards.     How do people accept this after skyrim was released?  I told him its a different type of game explaining a MMO and single player experience.  He said well these mmo's have  a way to go.   I just let it go but my point is there are many people out there just like this who don't understand the basic differences.  Remember on here were are the small percentage of a much larger community.
    It's like WOW was 10 years ago in the sense that it's bringing many into MMOs for the first time. And not just because it's on consoles.

I think it's partly because it's Bethesda and many players have played either ES and/or Fallout games so there's some brand name recognition. It's more likely to be at least glanced at my those who don't play MMOs.

That and the fact that the original release negativity is 3 years in the past and they mostly get good press these days because it has matured pretty well.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited June 2017
    Xodic said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Xodic said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:

no its not.

If it's delusional to compare Wurm to Wow when it comes to marketing, why would you compare games that are in completely different markets?

OK, so in your bout with deductive reasoning, you compare a mobile game, a survival game and an MMORPG in order to quantify marketing - without ever considering that they're completely different markets?

Carry on then.
    I would try to explain how its reasonable and extreemly common place when talking about sales in games to not restrict the conversation to sub-types within those games but dont think these forums can understand despite how common place it is both proffesionally and unproffesionally.

now in the meantime I am going to look at some top 10 game sells charts and see how many ways you would suggest those lists need to be parased

CalexExcession

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    SEANMCAD said:
    Xodic said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Xodic said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:

no its not.

OK, so in your bout with deductive reasoning, you compare a mobile game, a survival game and an MMORPG in order to quantify marketing - without ever considering that they're completely different markets?

Carry on then.
    I would try to explain how its reasonable and extreemly common place when talking about sales in games to not restrict the conversation to sub-types within those games but dont think these forums can understand despite how common place it is both proffesionally and unproffesionally.

now in the meantime I am going to look at some top 10 game sells charts and see how many ways you would suggest those lists need to be parased

You are correct on one point for sure, there is nothing professional about this conversation.

CalexMrMelGibsonExcessionJeleenaNyghthowlerConstantineMeruspostlarval

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Xodic said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Xodic said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Xodic said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:

no its not.

Carry on then.

I know, you must be tired of dealing with simple folk.

I'm not saying you can't paint a picture with the color you're using. I'm saying that your "delusional" comment about what @Kyleran suggested was in the window of a Ford Taurus adjacent to left field. If you truly believe that you can't compare Wurm to Wow when it comes to marketing, then surely you must concede that comparing completely different markets is just as faulty.

I assume you would have a strong argument, if every single person who played a mobile game or survival game were also interested in MMOs. If the MMO market wasn't as saturated as it is with what feels like more games than there are people willing to play them, then I wouldn't have a problem with your reasoning.
    There was reasoning in his replies?  Lol, color me surprised.  I try to imagine him as a pretentious teenager.  That way I can at least understand why he acts the way he does.  
    ExcessionKyleranRexKushmanNyghthowlerConstantineMerus
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    didn't the Federal Gaming Commission rule that ESO is like the best mmorpg EVER!
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited June 2017
    Every single person I know who bought ESO no longer plays it ... from me and friends on pc through the wife's kid and friends on console.

Great metric? Think not.

The game's f2p model earns vastly higher amounts through the cash shop. F'ing mounts cost more than the game sells for.
    MrMelGibsonNebilim

You stay sassy!

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    this metric showing you only know like 3 people shouldn't get you down... I am sure you are a nice person.
    Octagon7711KyleranMrMelGibsonConstantineMerus
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    All I know is the game is far from empty and I've played it back when you would seldom see another player.  

I don't even have a Steam copy.
    http://steamcharts.com/app/306130#All
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited June 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    SEANMCAD said:

ESO is 100000000% the baby child of everything Zenimax in house
    I meant the battle in court for the rights over a FO mmo where the 3 companies fought themselves over it.
    Nyctelios said:

Isn't ESO existence itself a result of BethesdaGS fighting against Bethesda and Zenimax against the latter making a FOmmo?
    Mhhhh.... that's not what happened.

Zenimax Media owns Zenimax Online, Bethesda Game Studios, Bethesda SoftWorks and ID Software.
    The legal battle you mention was between Zenimax (Bethesda Softworks) and Interplay who was the original owner of the Fallout IP.
    Basically Interplay sold the rights to Bethesda but retained the MMO rights with the condition that they would make a MMO within 2 years or else they would lose the license.

Interplay failed to produce a MMO within this time frame, being able to show only a tech demo.
    Bethesda argued that the tech demo wasn't enough to justify an extension of the license beyond the 2 years initially agreed and sued Interplay who lost the case and the IP.

IselinMrMelGibson

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited June 2017
    Iselin said:
    My question is, are they counting PC-to-console account transfer as a new purchase as well?
    If those of us are not included then good job on selling 10 million copies.
    There were never any "transfers" as such. There were just account copies made for those who qualified ata certain point in time. If you did that, then you have a PC copy and a console copy and you can play either or both so yeah, you would count as 2 units bought.
    The account copy was $20 bucks, that was like paying for a server transfer on other mmos and those IMO shouldn't count as copies sold since thats just an account service.

I just find it weird. They would count me as 2 buyers when i just bought and play one copy of the game and paid to "transfer/copy" my account to another platform without buying the game again.

But the game is successful and that's what matters.
    Wow! 2 people talking each other about who theory is better and presents them as 100% real, yet ... none knows exactly if any are right, lol. 

If any of you could point out any links that you count as 2 accounts , then do so. Else just shut up and stop debating conspiracy theories.

About ESO .. I had my doubts that it will succeed in the long run, yet .. here we are . ESO seems one of the few remaining MMO's with a very active playerbase and with good updates . Keep it up!
    Iselin

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Enough! Stop this bickering or I'm gonna turn this web site around and go home... ;)
    SaunZDistopia
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    My question is, are they counting PC-to-console account transfer as a new purchase as well?
    There were never any "transfers" as such. There were just account copies made for those who qualified ata certain point in time. If you did that, then you have a PC copy and a console copy and you can play either or both so yeah, you would count as 2 units bought.
    The account copy was $20 bucks, that was like paying for a server transfer on other mmos and those IMO shouldn't count as copies sold since thats just an account service.

I just find it weird. They would count me as 2 buyers when i just bought and play one copy of the game and paid to "transfer/copy" my account to another platform without buying the game again.

Wow! 2 people talking each other about who theory is better and presents them as 100% real, yet ... none knows exactly if any are right, lol. 

If any of you could point out any links that you count as 2 accounts , then do so. Else just shut up and stop debating conspiracy theories.

About ESO .. I had my doubts that it will succeed in the long run, yet .. here we are . ESO seems one of the few remaining MMO's with a very active playerbase and with good updates . Keep it up!
    There's no "theory" to this. It's just some of us know WTF we're talking about and others don't:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/04/09/elder-scrolls-online-sends-out-console-transfer-offer-for-older-accounts/

For a limited time, Elder Scrolls Online is offering a deal to allow PC players to copy (not move) their accounts to the upcoming Xbox One or PlayStation 4 version of the game for $20.

Emails have gone out to qualifying gamers notifying them of the one-time offer, which can be found on the ESO account store page and will continue until May 9th. After that, ZeniMax says that PC players will be unable to move their characters over.

To qualify for the offer, you had to have purchased and activated the game by June 30, 2014. You can choose to copy your characters to one or both console versions, but be aware that certain things like crowns and friends lists won’t make the jump. Once the transfer is purchased, the studio will send out an email with a code and more instructions. The console editions of Elder Scrolls Online will release on June 9th.

MrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

There's no "theory" to this. It's just some of us know WTF we're talking about and others don't:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/04/09/elder-scrolls-online-sends-out-console-transfer-offer-for-older-accounts/

For a limited time, Elder Scrolls Online is offering a deal to allow PC players to copy (not move) their accounts to the upcoming Xbox One or PlayStation 4 version of the game for $20.

Emails have gone out to qualifying gamers notifying them of the one-time offer, which can be found on the ESO account store page and will continue until May 9th. After that, ZeniMax says that PC players will be unable to move their characters over.

To qualify for the offer, you had to have purchased and activated the game by June 30, 2014. You can choose to copy your characters to one or both console versions, but be aware that certain things like crowns and friends lists won’t make the jump. Once the transfer is purchased, the studio will send out an email with a code and more instructions. The console editions of Elder Scrolls Online will release on June 9th.

Wtf ? And where the heck it is writen that you are counted as 2 account out of 10 millions ,instead of one if you have done the ..transfer ?!
    KyleranIselin

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

Wtf ? And where the heck it is writen that you are counted as 2 account out of 10 millions ,instead of one if you have done the ..transfer ?!
    Do your own research if you're interested.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

Where is written the opposite?
    Apparently those of us who have bought 3 copies of the game and have 3 accounts (2 on the PC + a PS4 account) don't know WTF we're talking about. But random casual thread tourist does.

And as I already said above, it's not something that enough of us have done to detract from the 10 million units sold.
    ConstantineMerus

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

Apparently those of us who have bought 3 copies of the game and have 3 accounts (2 on the PC + a PS4 account) don't know WTF we're talking about. But random casual thread tourist does.

And as I already said above, it's not something that enough of us have done to detract from the 10 million units sold.
    I don't really care how many accounts you bought ( of course you will be counted as 3 if you buy 3 copies !!! ) . What I care is that you are trying to say that 1 PC account , after you will transfer it to PS4 , will count as 2 accounts . Link me where it says exactly what you are trying to say , and we are all good. 

And no , don't "google it" . You come up with this idea, you back it up!

Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

Where is written the opposite of what I said ?!
    Iselin

Nyctelios said:
    Iselin said:
    Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

I want to believe he's just being naive. 
    Naive and asking questions is one thing and I'm usually glad to answer their questions politely.

But when they say:

"Wow! 2 people talking each other about who theory is better and presents them as 100% real, yet ... none knows exactly if any are right, lol." 

That's just someone trying to ridicule the sidebar discussion @rojoArcueid and I were having based on sheer ignorance.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited June 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

I don't really care how many accounts you bought ( of course you will be counted as 3 if you buy 3 copies !!! ) . What I care is that you are trying to say that 1 PC account , after you will transfer it to PS4 , will count as 2 accounts . Link me where it says exactly what you are trying to say , and we are all good. 

And no , don't "google it" . You come up with this idea, you back it up!

Nyctelios said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:
    IceAge said:
    Iselin said:

Where is written the opposite of what I said ?!
    First: No need to go edgy.
    Second: You'll take their word and that's it?

They can release something about it, but that is their word and nothing else.

And seriously do you really expect the company would be transparent and tell "We used numbers from multiple purchases from different platforms due copies in promotions owned by the same player to inflate it and make it sounds better to appeal the masses"?

So, of course if there is any statement about it then it would be saying the opposite - but, again, you would just nod and swallow their numbers?

That's all it takes to you?

You are sure naive.
    Thanks for proving that you are actually discussing conspiracy theories. 

Sure, we can't really take all of what they are saying as being 100% true, but trust me, I will also not take your theory into consideration simply because you are just assuming , with no real evidences. 

So yeah! My point stands. You 2 were talking theories and acting like it's the .."truth" . Otherwise, if you want to prove your point, do it with real evidences and not just some "random" texts and then throw it like it's true. 

Iselin said:

Naive and asking questions is one thing and I'm usually glad to answer their questions politely.

But when they say:

"Wow! 2 people talking each other about who theory is better and presents them as 100% real, yet ... none knows exactly if any are right, lol." 

That's just someone trying to ridicule the sidebar discussion @rojoArcueid and I were having based on sheer ignorance.
    Naive or not , just .. bring the proof's , please? Else, just .. keep come up with theories !
    Iselin

IceAge said:

Naive or not , just .. bring the proof's , please? Else, just .. keep come up with theories !
    What theory exactly would that be? I honestly don't even know WTF you're on about.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED