Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of starting ESO

cd_bluecd_blue Member UncommonPosts: 14
I bought ESO during a random Steam sale right as Legion hit. Truthfully, I never got past tutorial. Not from lack of enjoying the game it was I had two characters raiding in two different raid groups on WoW and I decided hand over my guild to someone else go on "break". Well during this break (now on it's 6th month and im not going back any time soon) I have been through many games I got through Steam sales I never touched. Oblivion (again), Skyrim (again), Witcher, GTA5, and bunch other games I missed due to giving all my gaming time to WoW. I am loving that freedom.  I been playing mmorpgs before EQ1 got it's first expansion and been raiding on and off for years. I swear off raiding, then jump right back in.

ESO online though when researching it around Dec seemed extremely solo friendly game (duo friendly too I play with my wife). I just wrapped up Skyrim (yet again) and thought hey I should try ESO now.

Low and behold there has been expansion released lol. I know ESO was never Skyrim Online but my question is... Now that the expansion is out have they moved into the "You need to raid now" direction like they took GW2 (Well when last checked)? AKA to have competitive guild/character would I need to schedule my nights around raiding. Honestly, it's deal breaker for me. I know even if that carrot is there and I swear it off I'll end up doing it lol. Or can I play solo and build up a character just doing solo/duo or even 4/5 man group content and have comparable character to "raiders"

I love open world games, I love crafting, pet collecting, but I also like social aspects of MMORPGs. I am just really curious for mostly single player (sometimes duo) is ESO still fit for someone who might just want to join social guild and mess around in an open adventure world while sometimes jumping in dungeon?

Thanks for any advice :) Would really appreciate it. I know I can just jump in at any time but with expansion out now I have no idea really what to expect or what changes it brought to the game as a whole.

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited June 2017
    If you want to sub all the DLC and other bonuses are open to you except for Morrowind and the Warden character, which is considered an expansion.  I don't raid but there are PvP zones with faction wars that you can start at lvl 10.  Yes, you can play the base game without the DLC and purchase them later if you're interested and don't want to sub.

It's also a very pet and mount friendly game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This new addition doesn't change game play in any fundamental way. It is just as solo friendly as it ever was.

The biggest change came last fall when they made all mobs, in or out of dungeons, the same level and if you're below the mobs' level (which is level 50, Champion 160) you get bolstered up to their level. You can also go to any zone in any order.

Dungeons unlock at level 10 and you can do them together with anyone of any level. The abilities you learn are also not tied to level but rather progress at their own rate depending on how many from a particular skill line you slot and use.

The better abilities and their morphs do, of course, take longer to unlock. That's where the progression is, not so much in your level progression.

After you reach level 50 you start acquiring Champion points which you can assign to passive buffs that up your damage, mitigate more damage, lets you heal better, and so on. The champion points are also account-wide so you can use them in whichever different way you wish on your alts.

I did a very basic guide here a while back that you may want to have a look at to get you started:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/457732/the-fundamentals-of-developing-a-character-in-eso#latest
    xyzercrimeMrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    You can solo, duo,  group or co-op.

It has been full open world: go where you want from day 1 - since late last year. You and mobs are scaled to a level. You do become more powerful / versatile over time however.

A lot of guilds tend to focus on trading, raiding, crafting or just being social. Finding the one(s) that suit you however is the same as in all games - a crap shoot!

PvE or PvP (realm based, different types of campaign).

Some dungeons are solo challenges; some are public; most are intended for 4 players. There are bigger raids. 

There are some pets to collect - and ZoS will sell you more!

And some other stuff as well - it started as a big game and has gotten bigger. A lot to do if it interests you.
  • cd_bluecd_blue Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Thanks all it appears from what I am reading here it's pretty much open world type game looking for :) Gonna have to give it a shot for sure.
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I have ESO for PS4 and PC but don't have Morrowind. Is Morrowwind a must to play now like does it add more levels or mandatory content, or I can play without it just fine? 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DeadSpock said:
    I have ESO for PS4 and PC but don't have Morrowind. Is Morrowwind a must to play now like does it add more levels or mandatory content, or I can play without it just fine? 
    No. It's just a new zone that you can do at any time or skip, PVP battlegrounds and a new class, the Warden. The game plays just fine without it.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    DeadSpock said:
    You can play fine without it. However, it's an excellent expansion or whatever they are calling it so if you enjoyed the single player game you just might enjoy it.

You should play the game a bit and if you think you are going to stay a while, get it.
    DeadSpock
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    I played the hell out of Morrowind when it came out in 2002ish and for a long time after that. I loved it. I bought the Expansion in ESO and .. when I got off the boat in Seyda Neen I was floored. When I got to Vivec city.. I was floored.. Balmora, I squee'd like a little girl. I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Plus, it's a whole different story line if you start a new character there, no cold harbor, you're still firmly in possession of your soul, etc. I'm 'meh' on the Warden but a lot of people like it. So, basically, I'm getting my money's worth for sure. And when I stop getting my money's worth I'll cancel my sub, but I have this sneaking suspicion that this won't happen (again).
    KyleranMrMelGibson
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    didn't the Federal Gaming Commission rule that ESO is like the best mmorpg EVER!
    NagilumSadow
  • TrandTrand Member UncommonPosts: 234
    SaunZ said:
    didn't the Federal Gaming Commission rule that ESO is like the best mmorpg EVER!
    #FAKENEWS!

:p 
    DOAC is still the MMO I judge other games by, My first and still my favorite.