Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you arent playing Vanilla WoW in some capacity right now, your doing yourself a disservice.

124»

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited April 2017
    I never liked vanilla WoW. It did all the things I never liked about MMO's.

- Having to run from point A to B and back a gazillion times for quests in a vast world clearly made with mounts in mind. When do you get mounts, at lvl40. Will you have the coin by then, no way, not on your first toon if you also buy recipes for crafting. A talented adventurer, too stupid to learn to ride a horse. The mount at lvl40 was not a reward, it was getting rid of a penalty.

- Gold sink after gold sink after gold sink because of dumb economy model. This is where it all went wrong and all those other themepark MMO's had to have ridiculous gold sinks too. The only people loving this were goldfarmers.

- Annoying drop RNG for simple quest items.

- 10 bars with abilities, more then most ever use.

- No need to look at whats happening in front of you as healer, just look at those hp bars all the bloody time.

- Stupid tank mechanics with their aggro magnet taunts. Omg I so hated holy trinity back then, it was mindnumbly boring. And even with this very clear combat system, you still had those idiots who pulled mobs left and right, expecting to be saved.

- Gear based PVP. Grind PVE to be able to be competitive in PVP. I knew this could be done better.(After getting into Guild Wars 1 pvp, I learned I was right).

Annoying mechanics like these prevented me to get familiar with the awesome world in WoW. I played it for 2 weeks and then I quit to never look back again untill WotLK. When WoW finally became interesting :/

Anyway, after playing Anarchy Online and Star Wars Galaxies, vanilla WoW just felt wrong in every way.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Come back with your enthusiasm when you run out of things to do in a few weeks.
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    edited April 2017

Thorkune said:

Folks who actively seek out older gameplay are less likely to be flightey content locust type (although there are clearly still more of that type).

Also - a few weeks?!? This is Vanilla we're talking about! Even the neckbeards get bogged down longer than that unless they refuse to play alts.
  • shawnpatshawnpat Member UncommonPosts: 74
    talk about having nothing to do at max lvl.... that's vanilla wow, not to mention its such a basic game, people don't wanna do the same thing over and over nowadays, they crave new content, yer gonna be logging in less and less over the next few months, from boredom
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Thorkune said:

This thread was created over 3 months ago.  Just checked the Elysium server population...  Almost 7000 concurrent users online right now.  I'd say you are WAYYYYYY off.

Don't worry, judging from all the shit-talking in this thread about vanilla WoW's appeal, I'd say you're in good company...  You're all wrong, but at least there's more than a few of you, right?

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    You forgot the part where people might not like the gameplay, the story, the art or anything else that might make it not fun playing WoW.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    There are many "socializers" in this thread and MMORPGs in general. Most people who like old games I figure are gamers and play WoW because it's a more complex world in some ways than single player games. These two types cannot be reconciled, but I will say it anyway (dust in the wind) little about World of Warcraft was noteworthy at all for being old. It used the same concepts as MUDs had 15 years before (never mind that these were not new concepts). Anyway the way the socializer would have it games are always reduced to the barest minimum in order to facilitate socializing. There is no point arguing this or that. If it presents any difficulty (or even if it seems old) I figure the socializer opposes it. I say figure, I do not know for sure. World of Warcraft was a good game, but I wouldn't waste my breath discussing what was "old" or "classic" about it. Those who do (in a negative way) want something entirely different from games than I do. I don't even read their posts. I have a good suspicion that these people are the majority of the players that play MMORPGs and have driven the change all throughout the years, from the changes in UO to EQ to World of Warcraft. As for the The Burning Crusade, what of it? It was not an improvement or anything special. It was part of the gradual incessant change that has affected that game from early on. And it has always moved in the same direction. I was one of those poor saps known as gamers who read every patch notes with boiling blood. MMORPGs have always courted the wrong types of players. Read newsgroups from 2000 with Everquest players complaining about the level cap. "If they don't raise it, I will leave." This flighty, novelty-seeker has always plagued these games. And Everquest went bad before WoW. That is why I came to WoW from the first. In the end, if the game is not changing, being made easier, etc. then the short-term crowd will be flying away. It has always been this way in MMORPGs, though we reached the end result years ago.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I played the hell out of Vanilla WoW during it's hey day.  It was a lot of fun, but I could never play on a private server like this.  I mean, what's there to look forward to?  Part of the fun in mmos for me is getting content updates, added classes, added abilities, new gear, continuation of the story and tiers of raiding etc.  On a Vanilla server you already know everything that the game has to offer and if you already played that to death.  Then there isn't much motivation to keep playing.

I personally would rather play something new.  But I hope for those who are playing this that they are enjoying themselves if that's what they want.  Especially if they aren't enjoying any of the newer mmos.  Me?  I'm like a pig in shit with all the overwhelming amount of awesome mmos and single/mulitplayer games available today.
  • shawnpatshawnpat Member UncommonPosts: 74
    take forever to get to max lvl, only to find that theres nothing to do but the same stuff I did years ago........no ty, and btw BC was WoW at its finest, NOT vanilla
    MrMelGibson
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Vanilla WoW was a unique experience. However, it's time to move on imho...
    shawnpat said:
    take forever to get to max lvl, only to find that theres nothing to do but the same stuff I did years ago........no ty, and btw BC was WoW at its finest, NOT vanilla
    I've always thought the same.  Never understood the admiration of Vanilla.  BC imo was 10x better.
    Kunai_Vax said:
    It's strange that people in vanilla feel the need to "group to do it right". I never felt the need to group back in 2004 when I leveled my first druid. Either those third party servers have screwed up their balance, or, well... I'm just good at soloing (including that spider in the night elf starter area).

Something I definitely don't miss compared to vanilla is the utterly awful grind for fire resistance, and later nature resistance, before being able to get to the good stuff.
    Half the quests in hinterlands require a group. No way you're telling me you solo'd that. 
    I solo'd the vast majority of Hinterlands on my Warrior in Vanilla.  Other than 1 or 2 quests.
  • pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    MrMelGibson said:
    I played the hell out of Vanilla WoW during it's hey day.  It was a lot of fun, but I could never play on a private server like this.  I mean, what's there to look forward to?  Part of the fun in mmos for me is getting content updates, added classes, added abilities, new gear, continuation of the story and tiers of raiding etc.  On a Vanilla server you already know everything that the game has to offer and if you already played that to death.

Galadourn said:
    Vanilla WoW was a unique experience. However, it's time to move on imho...

shawnpat said:

------

"Vanilla?" How did that word catch on, so that three different people (at least, I assume they are different, they seem to think the same) use it?

Anyway, these posts, in some strange way, remind me of the large people I see in Wal-Mart and outside of Little Caesar's.

I am not sure I want to exchange words with passionate World of Warcraft players. I heard some of the voices of them over microphone in TBC and that was enough for me. These people did not play MUDs and whatever "stuff","gear", and "content" they hunger after following their consumption of WoW, I am sure those who patronize private servers like Project1999 and this one will gladly relinquish to them.