Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SotA Ghost Town - Steam #'s

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Last time I logged in to SotA, it felt like a ghost town.  I only saw a couple of other players on the world map and none in the main cities.  My guild was dead.  I think the info below sums up that it wasn't just an impression, but that the world is currently pretty empty.  Of course, there will be those that claim that Steam only represents a small portion of active players.  The part of me that invested in this because of Richard Garriott and nostalgia wishes that was believable.  Sorry, since the update to the forums, hitting enter no longer advances a line.  http://steamcharts.com/app/326160

RawynLeFantome

Comments

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited June 2017
    I think they are paying the price for going for that housing cash grab and that isn't something that can be reversed. I honestly believed the game would be better than what it is because Garriott but I was wrong.
    Rawynbartoni33EarthgirlGdemami
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    My impression was that they are scamming people and I will not be surprised if it is exposed as such. Anyway their own videos are pretty damning.
    blorpykinsRawynEarthgirlGdemami
    Chamber of Chains
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    No pvp ,what did you exoect? It's 2017. 
    blorpykinsAgent_JosephGdemami
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    The devs pick fights with backers on steam, reddit and here and probably other places and they go on crazy delete everything rampages and lock threads and ban people.  Way too much content behind pay walls and combat isn't fun, how did they not see this coming?
    RawynEarthgirlGdemami
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    it is just bad game,I am hide this crap in my steam library 
    RawynLeFantome
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited June 2017
    And these jokers are trying to get more money from the few suckers they got left with seedinvest. They wanna be publishers now too ROFL. They don't even have the ability to make a decent game. Who would want this company and their failures to help them publish a game?? They can barely keep going on their own as it is, hence the begathon and seedinvest begging.

Course to hear them tell it they're doing great. Yeah theyre doing so great they need to beg for money cause they only got a few more months worth money left. Lol

I challenged one of their devs to put a ticker on their main website that show how many people are playin at any given time but nothin but crickets on that from him.  He wouldn't do that because the truth on their low numbers would be there for all to see.  As someone else put it, he took his little ball and went home when he was caught lying about posters here being nothing but troll backers that were banned from their forums. They like to proudly show off a game of the year or something from years ago on their page so if their numbers were something to brag about they'd take my challenge.

Course we can log in to see hardly anyone is playing this game. During any prime time hours or off hours I've only seen a handful of people walking around. My friends list had tons of people added to it right before their July 2016 launch and I've only ever seen one or two of those people online in a year now. Game is dead as hell.

LeFantomeNildenEarthgirl
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    12 Mil ..The biggest scam in the gaming industry.

RawynGdemami

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    BruceYee said:
    I think they are paying the price for going for that housing cash grab and that isn't something that can be reversed. I honestly believed the game would be better than what it is because Garriott but I was wrong.
    Honestly, I'm marginally sure the game would have been a huge flop even without the housing cash grab.  It really is just a terrible game.

...the housing cash grab made things even worse though, of course, since housing was like, one of the few things it might have actually had that many other games didn't.
    NildenRawyn
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    LeFantome said:

I believe that it is and will continue to be a sad failure, but I don't believe the developers truly planned to scam anyone.  I can't accept that of Lord British.  Too many fond memories.
    Rawyn
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited June 2017
    LeFantome said:

Who knows, Star Citizen might want to have a word with you in the near future  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    RidelynnOctagon7711
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited June 2017
    lahnmir said:
    LeFantome said:

Who knows, Star Citizen might want to have a word with you in the near future  o:)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I'd be pretty surprised.  "Near" future doesn't sound apt for it, I think.
    Octagon7711Rawyn
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    You know, all this time I believed that EA was the sole reason the Ultima series went to shit. While I'm certain they still had a hand in that, seeing the pathetic mess of suck that is SotA has helped me realize that RG probably played a much larger role in that debacle than previously thought. 

I'll put it this way; a few weeks ago I tried playing the game and got a HUGE Ultima IX vibe from it. For those who haven't played it, that kind of vibe is in no way, shape, or form a good thing. 

RG's just a washed up has-been trying desperately to stay relevant. 
    NildenpostlarvalRawynGdemami

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Tiamat64 said:
    lahnmir said:
    LeFantome said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    We should hope that Star Citizen succeeds otherwise there will be a blood frenzy like sharks feeding.
    Nilden
    Chamber of Chains
    edited June 2017
    You know, all this time I believed that EA was the sole reason the Ultima series went to shit. While I'm certain they still had a hand in that, seeing the pathetic mess of suck that is SotA has helped me realize that RG probably played a much larger role in that debacle than previously thought. 

I'll put it this way; a few weeks ago I tried playing the game and got a HUGE Ultima IX vibe from it. For those who haven't played it, that kind of vibe is in no way, shape, or form a good thing. 

If I recall correctly, according to developer posts, RG didn't really have much hand in Ultima Online at all.  Or at least, after it was released, he didn't.  Not sure if what the devs posted included the development phase pre-release.  It kinda made me lose faith in RG even back then because he basically just slapped his name (or at least, his franchise name) on the thing and then abandoned it.

...it also made me wonder why people thought SoTA would be a worthy successor to UO when Garriot didn't have much to do with UO anyways.
    Rawyn
  • DenambrenDenambren Member UncommonPosts: 399
    IMO, Garriot should have made a pixel art game in the spirit of the early Ultimas (1-5), and it could have been a great success. Just look at the profits on a game like Stardew Valley made by one dev (over 30 million dollars apparently).

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/13384-stardew-valleys-single-developer-has-made-over-30-million#/slide/1

As Garriot is now learning, it takes a lot of manpower, time, and money to generate all the assets for an open world in 3D. I'm sure if he could go back in time knowing what he knows now, he would be far less ambitious with the project plan.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Tiamat64 said:
    lahnmir said:
    LeFantome said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I think the cracks will start to show way before actual release, if they actually manage to get out of perpetual EA/Beta/Alpha/Modules etc. They might avoid that altogether though to dodge a proper shitstorm. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    Denambren said:

As Garriot is now learning, it takes a lot of manpower, time, and money to generate all the assets for an open world in 3D. I'm sure if he could go back in time knowing what he knows now, he would be far less ambitious with the project plan.
    Thing is though Sota isn't an open world. It's filled with small little areas called scenes with hardly any reason to explore in them. U've got to go through two load screens one to go into a place and one to get out on each and every place you want to go. ( Even with ssds it's crazy too long  loading screens).

Once inside theres not much to do but grind killing  mobs and gather. There's mobs that you can see came from unity for like 15-40 bucks or so ( Also expect to see these same few mob varities for the entire game), some gathering nodes, and barriers all around the scenes. It's like putting a rat it a hat box and watching it go in circles forever in every scene. I wish I was kidding, their that small and boring.

The larger scenes are housing areas..NPC cities PRTs and POTS with trees and player houses that's it. If you want a house lot and you don't got a rent free deed from a pledge or bought from their add on store expect to pay rent daily on a lot or lose it.

This is the biggest grind game I've ever played, it puts Asian grinder games to shame, no joke. That's all there is to this game, grind and buy from their add-on store.
    Earthgirl
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Tiamat64 said:

If I recall correctly, according to developer posts, RG didn't really have much hand in Ultima Online at all.  Or at least, after it was released, he didn't.  Not sure if what the devs posted included the development phase pre-release.  It kinda made me lose faith in RG even back then because he basically just slapped his name (or at least, his franchise name) on the thing and then abandoned it.

...it also made me wonder why people thought SoTA would be a worthy successor to UO when Garriot didn't have much to do with UO anyways.
    I believe he was responsible for the birth Trammel, and literally breaking UO in two. You can find quotes with himself saying so along with others.

RG is the original Anti-PK who fathered a generation of anti-pks that refuse to let the genre move forward. While all these years systems for risk reward could have been being developed, instead the children of RG demanded better AI. 
    Rawynblorpykins
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    "The Children of RG" hahaha
    Rawyn
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    cheyane said:
    My impression was that they are scamming people and I will not be surprised if it is exposed as such. Anyway their own videos are pretty damning.
    I think many people have realized this and are backing off. They must be looking for new ways to get more money, like this...

Some poor schmuck created a character named 'Debby does SotA'. It was deemed inappropriate and they are forcing him to change it....and pay them $25 to do so. Jesus, these slime bags will find any reason to cash in on players.

Think about it.
    blorpykinsbartoni33Rawyn

• itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    LeFantome said:

Mark on my word on Ashes of Creation , its will be the same boat.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    itsover said:
    LeFantome said:

They're all going to start dropping like flies soon, SotA and AoC only being the tip of the iceberg. Hopefully, the genre will either grow a conscience and change or die out completely. If the first doesn't happen, the second should.
    Rawyn

itsover said:

Everyone quit Shroud of the Avatar for their own reasons, but I know for a fact that many quit because there were no meaningful PVP mechanics (that plus lag and shitty combat).  If games like Ashes of Creation, Chronicles of Elyria, Crowfall, and Camelot Unchained can deliver on openworld PVP mechanics they all be hits.

bcbullyRawyn
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Won't play any kind of game with bad combat.  Especially if the game is centered around advancement by combat.  
    blorpykinsRawynLeFantome

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey