Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

STO2 and why is this game stuck?

meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
I play the game but I've gotta say it leaves alot to be desired. Gold pressed latinum is a joke. Each DLC that's launched is subpar there's a single questline that has delayed sets that really don't do much I play a science for example with maxed out drainage and the nausican disruptor set is terrible which came from the questline they introduced regarding the lukari.

What gets me is each new DLC has nothing but a new reputation what are we at now? 9-10? I don't think they really go off as well as we think they do (speaking of the passives).

They need fresh blood over there at Cryptic, the management has been failing to bring proper elements to this IP to make it worth it in the story side of things, the beginning of the game is awesome, but once you get to max level you see that there is a serious end game gap.

I'm honestly tired of doing STFs (dungeons) to raise to max my reputations just to have passives and a max rep skill. That's all this game has become is Scroll Bars online where you simply add to a rep or crafting mission and then wait and wait and wait. It's really sad that they can't do something better especially in exploration.

There are several game developers who have made the exploration thing wonderful. One scifi mmo in particular has you talk to an NPC and choose the exploration elements you'd prefer to play for rewards that matter. The instance is then loaded with the parameters you pick such as do you want to gather do you want to defend do you want to do diplomacy if this game had that as an option that you could actually play through it wouldn't be half bad!

I'm hoping that somehow someway they realize what they've done wrong and fix it for the sake of the IP or it might just be time for another developer to make a take 2 on star trek online.

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    One of the issues with Cryptic is they just dont have the money to produce good content.  They lost money on CO and STO and Atari sold them off.  Since PWI purchased them, they still dont seem to be doing very well.  In a previous financial statement PWI cited their North American operation (Cryptic) as the reason they for a disappointing year.

Many of the original people who put the game together have either left or been moved to business positions like Zink and Stahl.  My opinion is the game is running with a skeleton crew and the only thing they can come up with is reputation grinds every year or so.

Could have been a great game with some time and money.  Still, their FTP model is one of the best out there.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Talonsin said:
    One of the issues with Cryptic is they just dont have the money to produce good content.  

Could have been a great game with some time and money.  Still, their FTP model is one of the best out there.
    Those two statements contradict each other. O.o

More important than a F2P model that the players are happy with is a F2P model capable to financially sustain future development. This reminds me of Guild Wars 2 model that strives for balance but underperforms financially.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    They seem to sell alot of stuff in the cash shop. Those 30 dollar ships fly off the shelf. And people in this game love the lockboxes too. 9 or 10 rep grinds should tell you they got nothing else. The lights will stay on as long as the whales keep buying those ships.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Hariken said:
    They seem to sell alot of stuff in the cash shop. Those 30 dollar ships fly off the shelf. And people in this game love the lockboxes too. 9 or 10 rep grinds should tell you they got nothing else. The lights will stay on as long as the whales keep buying those ships.
    Well this depends on how well it performs of course. But most importantly, if they are reinvesting profit into the game or pocketing the money to other stuff, what could also lead to having a small maintenance team supporting the game.