Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What should you use for thermal compound? Basically, just don't use Chocolate.

GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
edited May 2017 in Hardware
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
PhryMrMelGibson

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    I usually use ArcticSilver but good to know that I can use a dollop of mayo in a pinch!!

PhryMrMelGibson

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    What about peanut butter and jelly?
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    I go with arctic silver ceramique 2, but might give mayo a try next time

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited May 2017
    My heavens this is quite bizarre . What possessed anyone to try this ? MacGyver anyone?
    Post edited by kitarad on
    MrMelGibson

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I think I still have a tube of AS5 that's about 10 years old now that I still use. 

I have used toothpaste in a pinch, I can confirm that one does work.

Basically as long as you have anything in there filling in the microscopic gaps in the metal, but not so thick that it acts as an insulator, it's going to work.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited June 2017
    thermal grizzly kryonaut   I hear this works great but looks to be more for use in watercooling scenarios.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    edited June 2017
    Mayo is as good as the Noctua thermal paste I used that came with my cooler. :s

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The proper takeaway is that what matters is not so much which thermal paste you use as that you use thermal paste properly at all.  Air is a terrible conductor, and having microscopic amounts of thermal paste replace tiny air pockets makes a huge difference.  That one thermal paste is a little better than another is a rounding error by comparison, as they both conduct heat about a hundred times better than air.

You usually shouldn't resort to using random household liquids and gels as thermal paste.  The danger is not so much that they won't work initially as that they won't be stable over the course of years of thermal cycling or that they'll damage the heatsink or CPU heatspreader.
    GruntyOzmodan
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The thing to remember about thermal paste is that, while it's an excellent conductor as compared to air, it's a terrible conductor as compared to the aluminum or copper that heatsinks are made out of.  Thermal paste might have 100 times the conductivity of air, but it's only about 1% or 2% of the conductivity of aluminum or copper.  So you don't want a thick layer of thermal paste separating the CPU's integrated heatspreader from the heatsink, as that would effectively be an insulator.  You want as much metal on metal contact as possible.  The thermal paste is only there to replace microscopic air bubbles.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Quizzical said:
    The proper takeaway is that
    You usually shouldn't resort to using random household liquids and gels as thermal paste. 
    Unless you have Rosewill thermal paste.
  • jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    That's a great comparison for 12 hours. What about 5 years down the road? 
    Thermal paste is so cheap why wouldn't you buy something that's decent.
    Personally I have used arctic silver 5 for all of my builds. Have one old pc that's going on 7 years old and still cooling fine.
    [Deleted User]
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    jdnewell, you won't believe this but... I had to re-apply Arctic Silver 5 once. I bought a tube in 2005 and used it in my build in 2010. It lasted until 2015 then the temps started to get abnormally high. Re-applying the thermal paste (Same tube from 2005) fixed the temps.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    Cleffy said:
    jdnewell, you won't believe this but... I had to re-apply Arctic Silver 5 once. I bought a tube in 2005 and used it in my build in 2010. It lasted until 2015 then the temps started to get abnormally high. Re-applying the thermal paste (Same tube from 2005) fixed the temps.
    I was wondering if that unopened tube of as5 in my closet was still good..guess I have my answer lol

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited June 2017
    kitarad said:
    My heavens this is quite bizarre . What possessed anyone to try this ? MacGyver anyone?
    Using mayo is more of a MacGruber thing.

Ridelynn