Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtual Reality coming to Macintosh

PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
In the shape of the HTC Vive:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/6/5/15741644/mac-virtual-reality-vr-support-htc-vive-high-sierra-external-gpu

https://uploadvr.com/specs-inside-first-vr-ready-imac-pro/

A top of the line package will include an 18 core processor, 22 teraflops, 27" 5K retina display, and a $5k price tag.  Personally, I may be eyeballing this solution in 2020.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited June 2017
    But as a developer, why would you ever invest in a Mac VR game? If Mac supported Vulkan, then great it's possible. Unfortunately Apple had to do more unsupported proprietary bullshit with Metal. So not only are we looking at a niche VR market, we are also doing it for an already niche consumer segment ($5000 Macs). They might get a couple developers to make one game and shelve it.
    Metal as an API isn't even close to as robust as Vulkan. So it would also be less capable.
    MrMelGibsonzerokaionPhry
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    This seems destined to fail.  Not a fan of any Apple products so it won't affect me either way if it's successful or not.  But I don't really see a huge market for $5000 Macs when you could have an insane PC for half that price.
    Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    This seems destined to fail.  Not a fan of any Apple products so it won't affect me either way if it's successful or not.  But I don't really see a huge market for $5000 Macs when you could have an insane PC for half that price.
    Sometimes i think Apple should market their Mac's as being half the power of a PC for twice the price. ;)
    MrMelGibson
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Just to clarify (I didn't realize this either when I started the thread), the $5k rig is meant to be a developer workstation.  Entry-level models begin at ~$1,300 and will also run VR:

https://www.apple.com/imac/

Those gasping at the price tag may wish to remember the SE-30; $5,000 in 1989:

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    has any Apple Product failed? not that I know of
    has any Microsoft Product failed? a lot

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    SEANMCAD said:
    Well, there were some that didn't really take off. The Newton (way ahead of its time) and the cube. Keep in mind I'm a huge fan of Apple's products.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited June 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Lots of Apple products have failed
    and one of them would be?

sorry but dont you think on a claim like I made that a response might list an actual product? at least one maybe? although 1 is not plural but still

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

edited June 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

sorry but dont you think on a claim like I made that a response might list an actual product? at least one maybe? although 1 is not plural but still

I just posed them ;)
    ggggg

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Sovrath said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Well, there were some that didn't really take off. The Newton (way ahead of its time) and the cube. Keep in mind I'm a huge fan of Apple's products.
    The cube was a joke lol remember the Pippin? Apple actually made a failed game console ugh terrible.
    Or the Tam? Killed off in one year
    Or the Mighty Mouse? Which was surprisingly worse than their failed hockey puck mouse.
    Or their 3rd gen ipod shuffle? terrible technically and commercially. 
    Or even the 2015 macbook.
    Noone bought that thing and Apple admitted after terrible sales and community reception "We need to go back to the board" lol  
    kinda like Microsoft entry into that small little market called cell phones

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I haven't been bullish on VR in the past, and I'm not there yet (neither is VR!), but I think some of you are ignoring Apple's ability to influence the market and getting people on board.

You might not like Apple devices for whatever reason, and that's fine, but a lot of people do. And those same people are maybe a bit crazy/cultish in that they jump in line with whatever Apple gives them.

In the Windows side of the computing world, someone makes something and everyone lines up to say, "What's in it for me? Get out of here with that!"  In Apple's world, they release $150 bluetooth earbuds and their fans salivate. Look at that silly $350 siri speaker, that thing will sell like hotcakes. Just because Apple.

Few things would be more beneficial for VR than for Apple to get on board and promote it. One key thing that VR desperately needs, is mass consumer interest. It's really difficult to encourage devs to produce VR stuff if there's no market to buy it. But Apple brings a market. A market full of people with discretionary cash and a proclivity towards spending money on apps.

Don't get me wrong, VR still has to prove itself. But you need a market to sell to. This is a progressive step for VR otherwise they're stuck hoping there's enough early adopters like SEANMCAD out there who are willing to dive in and sit through the growing pains and/or potential failure.

Monument Valley VR - iVisor in Rose Gold. That's all it would take. 

Phaserlight
    edited June 2017
    Rusque said:
    I haven't been bullish on VR in the past, and I'm not there yet (neither is VR!), but I think some of you are ignoring Apple's ability to influence the market and getting people on board.

You might not like Apple devices for whatever reason, and that's fine, but a lot of people do. And those same people are maybe a bit crazy/cultish in that they jump in line with whatever Apple gives them.

In the Windows side of the computing world, someone makes something and everyone lines up to say, "What's in it for me? Get out of here with that!"  In Apple's world, they release $150 bluetooth earbuds and their fans salivate. Look at that silly $350 siri speaker, that thing will sell like hotcakes. Just because Apple.

Few things would be more beneficial for VR than for Apple to get on board and promote it. One key thing that VR desperately needs, is mass consumer interest. It's really difficult to encourage devs to produce VR stuff if there's no market to buy it. But Apple brings a market. A market full of people with discretionary cash and a proclivity towards spending money on apps.

Don't get me wrong, VR still has to prove itself. But you need a market to sell to. This is a progressive step for VR otherwise they're stuck hoping there's enough early adopters like SEANMCAD out there who are willing to dive in and sit through the growing pains and/or potential failure.

Monument Valley VR - iVisor in Rose Gold. That's all it would take. 

Out of the three 'hardware connected' VR headsets (my own choice of words to described the headsets that are not for phones), the Sony VR is the least advanced, least sophisticated and least powerful however by a large margin they are selling more. This does not surprise me because the power of marketing and product loyalty is often grossly under estimated.

meaning, Apple is in a market position where they can release a sub-par device and I can assure everyone it will have a stronger chance of success then a better device published by someone else...including...microsoft

that is my more detailed explaination

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I know some people that only buy Apple products and won't even look at anything else....Personally I've never been all that thrilled with their stuff....Most of it seems to be made for the masses, but this sounds more niche for sure.....Also Im not on board yet with VR.
  • btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    This is merely a PR stunt... no different then when they used Pixar back in the day or demonstrated their machines being used as a supercomputer cluster.

Unlike Microsoft, that has literally bought game companies to force them to develop exclusively for their devices, Apple has no such game companies in their pocket.  Gaming on iOS devices is exploding... gaming on their desktop machines has been shrinking on a pretty grand scale.

It has never been about whether the machines were capable... it has always been about the desire to do so.  Most developers are pretty exclusive to the PC and console market.  Bootcamp allowed them to continue to do so... and will allow them to continue to do so.  Even Blizzard opted not to port Overwatch to the Mac from the onset.  Macs all over the world are running Overwatch under bootcamp.  Why spend the resources to write a native version of the game when you known all they have to do is boot into Windows?

No one buys a Mac for gaming.  And even the keynote only showed someone developing VR on a Mac... not developing VR for a Mac.  Big difference in the message.

And for the record, I'm typing this on my Mac.  

btdt said:
    This is merely a PR stunt... no different then when they used Pixar back in the day or demonstrated their machines being used as a supercomputer cluster.

Unlike Microsoft, that has literally bought game companies to force them to develop exclusively for their devices, Apple has no such game companies in their pocket.  Gaming on iOS devices is exploding... gaming on their desktop machines has been shrinking on a pretty grand scale.

It has never been about whether the machines were capable... it has always been about the desire to do so.  Most developers are pretty exclusive to the PC and console market.  Bootcamp allowed them to continue to do so... and will allow them to continue to do so.  Even Blizzard opted not to port Overwatch to the Mac from the onset.  Macs all over the world are running Overwatch under bootcamp.  Why spend the resources to write a native version of the game when you known all they have to do is boot into Windows?

No one buys a Mac for gaming.  And even the keynote only showed someone developing VR on a Mac... not developing VR for a Mac.  Big difference in the message.

And for the record, I'm typing this on my Mac.  

VRs future is actually not in gaming. I mean yes VR games will exist no doubt. But the mass market its very likely going to be narrative experiences

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Dude, I'm the biggest Apple fan ever and I'm willing to admit they have had many products fail. One of the unique things about Apple is that each product has a devoted following, but that doesn't make it a success. Case: Mac mini

The Mac mini had a chance to become a great small form factor desktop, but Apple misjudged what owners would want to do with them and made them underpowered in graphics, speed, and features. Just read any Apple forum and you'll get an idea of why.

Apple missed the boat on GPU, also misjudging that people might want to play games on their Mac. Their devices are just now getting powerful enough to smoothly run high-end graphical games. 

I hated the fact that I've always needed two computers. I hate Windows. I use it to play games and my MacBook Pro for everything else.

Just bought the new MacBook Pro and it will arrive on my doorstep June 20th. Most of the games I regularly play have Mac clients so once it arrives we'll see if I can use my PC laptop for target practice, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for VR, I couldn't care less. I'm sure the new iMac Pro ($5.000) due in December will handle it and the new Mac Pros (once they get around to updating those) will as well. I have doubts about other models though unless Apple changes their strategy.

As for Microsoft product failures. One word: Zune

SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Dude, I'm the biggest Apple fan ever and I'm willing to admit they have had many products fail. One of the unique things about Apple is that each product has a devoted following, but that doesn't make it a success. Case: Mac mini

The Mac mini had a chance to become a great small form factor desktop, but Apple misjudged what owners would want to do with them and made them underpowered in graphics, speed, and features. Just read any Apple forum and you'll get an idea of why.

Apple missed the boat on GPU, also misjudging that people might want to play games on their Mac. Their devices are just now getting powerful enough to smoothly run high-end graphical games. 

I hated the fact that I've always needed two computers. I hate Windows. I use it to play games and my MacBook Pro for everything else.

Just bought the new MacBook Pro and it will arrive on my doorstep June 20th. Most of the games I regularly play have Mac clients so once it arrives we'll see if I can use my PC laptop for target practice, but I'm not holding my breath.

As for VR, I couldn't care less. I'm sure the new iMac Pro ($5.000) due in December will handle it and the new Mac Pros (once they get around to updating those) will as well. I have doubts about other models though unless Apple changes their strategy.

As for Microsoft product failures. One word: Zune
    I do not follow Apple that closely but in the product universe they seem to be overwhelmingly more successful than microsoft which which is why I said that.

Microsoft and being in a major player in the cell phone market seems to be about as natural as anything one could ever expect. they had to actually work hard at fucking that presence up.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited June 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Didn't it take a 150 million dollar bail out by none other than Mr Bill Gates to keep Apple from Bankruptcy

https://www.wired.com/2009/08/dayintech_0806/

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited June 2017
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Didn't it take a 150 million dollar bail out by none other than Mr Bill Gates to keep Apple from Bankruptcy

did that happen in this technology era that we live in and have to address existing product questions about or was that more than 20 years ago?

I would think (and correct me if I am wrong in detail) that in the context of the dicussion meaning products of most recient era as well as under existing management would be the focus here. Not trying to determine the success and failure of two companies that not only now exist in a completely different era of technology but also radically different management

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Because Bill Gates knows a good investment when he sees one, which is why he didn't bother investing the money back into his own company?

or...

They had money left over once they realized there was no future in cell phones?

edited June 2017
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Because Bill Gates knows a good investment when he sees one, which is why he didn't bother investing the money back into his own company?

or...

I think in the era of technology looking at the actions of 30 years ago while at the same time ignoring the patterns of the past 10 years is well...idiotic.

In the consumer product space Apple has a considerably higher success rate then Microsoft does covering about  the past 15 years or so.

For a company like Microsoft to not get strong into cell phone market successful if flat out blind blowing. Its 'grab them by the P**y' level floored stunning.

Microsoft getting beat out on sales by Sony is a bit odd as well but not as much as above

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:

or...

I think in the era of technology looking at the actions of 30 years ago while at the same time ignoring the patterns of the past 10 years is well...idiotic.

In the consumer product space Apple has a considerably higher success rate then Microsoft does covering about  the past 15 years or so.

For a company like Microsoft to not get strong into cell phone market successful if flat out blind blowing. Its 'grab them by the P**y' level floored stunning.

Microsoft getting beat out on sales by Sony is a bit odd as well but not as much as above
    It was 20 years ago not 30

Anyways... You asked the question "has any Apple Product failed?"

Since the company in 1997 was facing bankruptcy, I would conclude that yes they did have some failed products.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee