Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained - The Longest Inch - A Beta Update of Sorts - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageCamelot Unchained - The Longest Inch - A Beta Update of Sorts - MMORPG.com

This Week Tim Eisen looks for Beta clues in the latest Dose of Design from the Camelot Unchained Newsletter.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    edited June 2017
    Hey Tim's back! i was actually going to post and ask where your columns went! I need your glass is half full take on things to balance my glass is 3/4 empty outlook.

I guess I should patch up CU and see how they are doing...
    [Deleted User]itchmonfrancis_baudPottedPlant22jimmywolfmeddyck

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    I have been trying to figure out what stage of development this game is in for a long time so I can buy access to it. Does anyone know?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Not in a playable state yet...but "Soon"

Asheram

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    "when it's ready" just doesn't cut it any more. This has become the go to phrase when your project is stuck in an endless development cycle with no real end in sight. Imagine going to work and when your boss asks when a certain report or project will be completed you just say every time "when it's ready" You can probably guess how long that will fly until you are back in the unemployment line.

The longer these projects take, the more expensive they get. Generally speaking, when a project lingers on for too long people lose interest and move on. The cash flow dies down when the hype fades, and the project stalls. We have seen this over and over so the only thing worse than a game rushed to release too early is a game that withers on the vine and never releases at all.
    WizardryjimmywolfMightyUncleanMitara
  • TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    edited June 2017
    That first picture doesn't really convey a love for their product to me. Did they forget to hire artists?
    Viper482Alomar
  • Hashcow101Hashcow101 Member UncommonPosts: 105
    I'm loving the idea of this game but it seems like they are stuck in a devolpmennt bind they need to speed up progress if they expect this game to survive us backers won't wait forever
    MightyUncleanMitara

"May Your Head Explode And Blood Swell From The Wound"
    - Hashcow

• Moguy3Moguy3 Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Bring it on!
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited June 2017

Kyleran said:

Not in a playable state yet...but "Soon"

francis_baud[Deleted User]
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    donger56 said:
    "when it's ready" just doesn't cut it any more. This has become the go to phrase when your project is stuck in an endless development cycle with no real end in sight. Imagine going to work and when your boss asks when a certain report or project will be completed you just say every time "when it's ready" You can probably guess how long that will fly until you are back in the unemployment line.

The longer these projects take, the more expensive they get. Generally speaking, when a project lingers on for too long people lose interest and move on. The cash flow dies down when the hype fades, and the project stalls. We have seen this over and over so the only thing worse than a game rushed to release too early is a game that withers on the vine and never releases at all.
    I agree to a point but not entirely.

There should be somewhat of a timeline but no way committed to that timeline if the game is not ready.
    The only reason i can think of for no target in sight is if the team has no real definitive team but more so contracting whenever it get's some money to do so.So if it is about money there would be no definitive timeline but merely a waiting game.
    IMO it does have a Beta target but have we seen anything that says the game should be that close?I don't even remotely think so,so is the Beta merely a marketing tool as such an idea usually does create instant interest to shore up some money.

No matter what Mr.Jacobs is up to,i have not seen any indication of a solid game ready for any testing phase.It doesn't mean such a game does not exist but i highly doubt it.
    Gdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065

Hey Tim's back! i was actually going to post and ask where your columns went! I need your glass is half full take on things to balance my glass is 3/4 empty outlook.

I guess I should patch up CU and see how they are doing...

Prepare to be disappointed. I know I was. I am no game dev, but this game still looks what I would consider to be pre-alpha. I'm still prepared to wait however long it takes.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • JinhJinh Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Was super excited now it feels it's too late. The waiting took too long by the time this comes out it will be just something to try out for a month then done. Because that fresh feeling just isn't here any more. Sadly. Too much too late.
    AlomarMitara
  • ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    imho, it's just a bridge too far, with their limited funding but grand goal of building their own engine, obviously this gonna take lots of time and money guess which is the show stopper huh??
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
     This is exactly why CU doesn't need to be hyped till it's ready. These guys are the Heroes we deserve making their own Engine and their own game. Not simply copy pasta assets and so on. 

The average hype train rider unfortunately doesn't understand enough about development to differentiate a good project from one that's not. I don't mean to be offensive to those who just see the surface, but there's much more to this project than is initially visible. 

Hopefully they make it over the slumpish phase of adding their Washington location and start cranking out the polish sooner than later. 
    AlomarPottedPlant22
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited June 2017
    I misread the title as the longest itch and it made more sense.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    trying to develop their own engine was not smart... they should have chosen one of the commercial off the shelf available ones...
    CopperfieldKyleranAlomarSlapshot1188RealizerCalexDiegoMarquezMarcus-
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    Galadourn said:
    trying to develop their own engine was not smart... they should have chosen one of the commercial off the shelf available ones...
    the best part of CU is that they have their own engine.. which is build from the ground up with in mind of large scale battles

im happy im supported CU.. and in no hurry for launch..

i respect them for doing something different with everything homemade.
    KyleranAlomarCalexMarcus-
    Galadourn said:
    Because clearly there are so many good ones out there that well support large scale PVP battles. Not.

Lilely if they actually manage to create one they probably could make more money licencing it to other companies than they will from their own game.
    GdemamiAlomarRealizer

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Galadourn said:
    Because clearly there are so many good ones out there that well support large scale PVP battles. Not.

Lilely if they actually manage to create one they probably could make more money licencing it to other companies than they will from their own game.
    Who's Lilely? Is she your new girlfriend?! >:(

You think I joke and derail, but I made more sense than some of the comments. 
    AlomarjimmywolfRealizerMarcus-
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Kyleran said:
    Galadourn said:

they should just develop the back end server code and not the entire gfx engine from scratch, that's all I'm saying. Plenty of better solutions for gfx out there...
    Slapshot1188Realizer
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Galadourn said:
    Kyleran said:
    Galadourn said:

they should just develop the back end server code and not the entire gfx engine from scratch, that's all I'm saying. Plenty of better solutions for gfx out there...
    Seriously?  None of the engines out there handle large scale battles where you have more than 10 people on the screen.  None.  This game depends on such, they had no choice but to make their own.  I see many of these games being made with the Hero engine or Unreal 4.  Both of those really start tanking once you start loading up the screen with characters and/or NPCs.  It is not just the back end server code that needs adjustment either, it has to work smoothly with the front end too.

I find the team making this game has a much better handle on what a game like theirs needs than many of these other development teams.  I personally think this game is head and shoulders ahead of many of the other games being developed out there because they are very aware of the foibles of developing a MMO.  There is a lot of hype with other games which is not warranted as most are oblivious to the failing of the available engines.

Oh and the developers have said many times they are funded.  I am glad they are taking their time with the game, too many of these games get rushed out the door and never get finished.

ConstantineMerusGdemami
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Hype peaked years ago, game MAY be in trouble.  I'm not their CFO, but I bet that the funds are trickling in at this point.  From some quick, sloppy research on the internet, CU has raised a max of $4 million, maybe less.  You're telling me that that's enough to create your own engine from scratch and at the same time develop an MMO, even a PvP-based one?  Of any quality?  SotA had four times that budget, bought an engine and a ton of assets, and still couldn't manage to produce anything remotely decent.  And now, SotA is almost out of cash.  Star Citizen is stuck in eternal development with a budget of over $140 million.  I want CU to succeed because I loved DAoC, but I'm getting more and more skeptical as the months, and years, tick by.  Sometimes, "when it's ready" means never.
    DiegoMarquezste2000
  • NegativeJoeNegativeJoe Member UncommonPosts: 213
    game aint in any trouble because of delays, or lack of hype.

no one has a good game to play right now and i dont see anything big coming out in the next 2 years thats going to distract from a CU beta/release,

if this game comes out next year or in 3 years, if its good people will play it.
    if this engine handles 70 hibs assjamming a 100 alb/mid battle (ill learn the new names when beta comes) inside some keep walls with siege blowing up all around you..hype isn't going to be a problem.

no ones going to sit down at their computer in december 2018, see this is hitting open beta and saying..."nah it took longer than i wanted, im downloading this 'new' game that came out in asia 3 years ago instead. "

the rest is just forum filler.
    RealizerCalex

::::26:: ::::26:: ::::26::

Hype peaked years ago, game MAY be in trouble.  I'm not their CFO, but I bet that the funds are trickling in at this point.  From some quick, sloppy research on the internet, CU has raised a max of $4 million, maybe less.  You're telling me that that's enough to create your own engine from scratch and at the same time develop an MMO, even a PvP-based one?  Of any quality?  SotA had four times that budget, bought an engine and a ton of assets, and still couldn't manage to produce anything remotely decent.  And now, SotA is almost out of cash.  Star Citizen is stuck in eternal development with a budget of over $140 million.  I want CU to succeed because I loved DAoC, but I'm getting more and more skeptical as the months, and years, tick by.  Sometimes, "when it's ready" means never.
    Mark has previously hinted at having aceess to around $10M in funding and confirmed he's not planning on spending $20 to $30M.

Not saying that's enough to deliver their vision but he's never set up any beg-a-thons or even tried to hit me up as an alpha backer to increase my pledge.

No referral programs, no financial offerings, tier funding requests or sales on new spaceships. ;)

I have my doubts and suffer from impatience as some others do, but I still respect what they are trying to accomplish.

Funny thing is I doubt I'll really enjoy it being more of a PVE guy, but my long time friends will be there which may make it worth playing 

Slapshot1188LeFantomemklinicDiegoMarquezAgent_JosephMarcus-

edited June 2017
    Nyctelios said:
    Just to know, with "large" how much large are you guys talking about?
    They've discussed successful tests of a little over 1000 players/bots on the field, with the alpha code of course.

Remains to be seen if they can hold to that number at the time of final delivery when all of the players will be in the wild.
    [Deleted User]Agent_Joseph