Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over $3.2M Pledged by More Than 19k Backers - Ashes of Creation - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    jdnewell said:
    Call me old but I just cant wrap my head around people paying an avg. of $167 for a game that may or may not be released. Paying up front with no assurance of a release even happening.

They aren't paying for a game that may or may not be released. They are backing the development of a game that they hope to have released. It's a subtle difference.

Anyone who gives money to these things "should" know what they are doing; they should be clear on what they are giving their money to. They should know they aren't "buying a game" but supporting a developer.

Also, a $167 isn't "that" much money when you put it in perspective. How many games have we purchased over the years where we knew we were on the fence about buying it and it turned out they were bad purchases?

Agreed. I supported the game but not at that high of an amount. I realize I may never get my money's worth out of this project. Heck I may never even get a game out if it at all but I knew that going in. If I don't? That is a shame but no biggie. Yet it may turn out to be a great gaming experience. There is risk in all gaming support. Either supporting crowdfunding, early access or even fully released games. 
    I do have to wonder though... when a game is going to be funded regardless of its KS outcome, as Intrepid has said about Ashes, what exactly are you supporting and not buying?
    Stretch goals mate lol
    Oh yeah them stretchies. The spandex part of the development plan :)
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerusShaighAgnhar
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    As of right now the game is vaporware but it definitely has me interested. My biggest issue is they have yet to open any kind of alpha so I can't justify myself pledging money. I would rather wait until they give us something to check out before I hand over money.
  • Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487

jdnewell said:

Call me old but I just cant wrap my head around people paying an avg. of $167 for a game that may or may not be released. Paying up front with no assurance of a release even happening.

Are people that desperate for video game entertainment? Or is it just hope for an MMO that will fill the void in the genre they think is missing?

For me the game looks promising for sure. I will follow it and if it looks worth it will gladly pay $60 on release and a monthly sub for it. But I just cant throw money at something so early in development as to not even know when ( or if ) its releasing.

I have enjoyed games of all types since I was a kid. Tabletop, board games, video games, ect. I very much enjoy them as an adult and will likely continue to do so. This trend of micro transactions, F2P, Early access, kickstarter, ect. is just something I dont understand.

But I am older and remember when you just paid for a game once it released. Times change I guess...

jdnewell said:

Are people that desperate for video game entertainment? Or is it just hope for an MMO that will fill the void in the genre they think is missing?

For me the game looks promising for sure. I will follow it and if it looks worth it will gladly pay $60 on release and a monthly sub for it. But I just cant throw money at something so early in development as to not even know when ( or if ) its releasing.

I have enjoyed games of all types since I was a kid. Tabletop, board games, video games, ect. I very much enjoy them as an adult and will likely continue to do so. This trend of micro transactions, F2P, Early access, kickstarter, ect. is just something I dont understand.

But I am older and remember when you just paid for a game once it released. Times change I guess...

jdnewell said:

I agree. However, the genre is kind of in a huge slump the past few years. I have GW2, WoW, BDO, ESO, FFXIV, and a few other MMOs installed and none of them have me stoked to log in.

It's also sad that none of the up coming MMOs have release dates set.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Iselin said:

Sovrath said:

jdnewell said:

They aren't paying for a game that may or may not be released. They are backing the development of a game that they hope to have released. It's a subtle difference.

Anyone who gives money to these things "should" know what they are doing; they should be clear on what they are giving their money to. They should know they aren't "buying a game" but supporting a developer.

Also, a $167 isn't "that" much money when you put it in perspective. How many games have we purchased over the years where we knew we were on the fence about buying it and it turned out they were bad purchases?

Agreed. I supported the game but not at that high of an amount. I realize I may never get my money's worth out of this project. Heck I may never even get a game out if it at all but I knew that going in. If I don't? That is a shame but no biggie. Yet it may turn out to be a great gaming experience. There is risk in all gaming support. Either supporting crowdfunding, early access or even fully released games. 

I do have to wonder though... when a game is going to be funded regardless of its KS outcome, as Intrepid has said about Ashes, what exactly are you supporting and not buying?

I backed the project for 2 reasons. To see the game release with more content and to make sure I'm in beta so I can give feedback to be a small part of development.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Nanfoodle said:

Iselin said:

Sovrath said:

jdnewell said:

I backed the project for 2 reasons. To see the game release with more content and to make sure I'm in beta so I can give feedback to be a small part of development.
    Good reasons, though I've always felt devs in these situations pay attention to player feedback more or less directly proportional to the amount of money they've spent.

I suspect the players who bought into the special royalty club will have the greatest influence.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Kyleran said:

Nanfoodle said:

Iselin said:

Sovrath said:

jdnewell said:

Good reasons, though I've always felt devs in these situations pay attention to player feedback more or less directly proportional to the amount of money they've spent.

I suspect the players who bought into the special royalty club will have the greatest influence.

I did say small part. I know I don't have a seat at the development table but my voice will be spoken if nothing more.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    BruceYee said:
    Why is everyone on this site defending this game so hard when 3.2 mil is chump change for MMO development? It's one thing to excuse not having a playable demo but associating crowdfunding games with hook words like "hope" and suggesting that this is the new norm and should be accepted is shocking to see among some of you MMORPG vets on this site.

@Slapshot1188 said above that "Steven is a fairly smart cookie when it comes to marketing" and that is exactly what this bombardment of "news" over the past few days has been...marketing.

Again with these people who just write things out of the blue and have no idea what they are talking about.