Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - Stormblood Job Impressions - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - Stormblood Job Impressions - MMORPG.com

It’s been a big week for Stormblood news — Square Enix have essentially pulled the veil off the expansion, and we know almost everything there is to know about the game without playing it.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    graphically it looks very nice, still the combat system is outdated and feels bad.
    marganculos[Deleted User]ScellowKajidourdenGobstopper3DDeadSpock
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    u didnt talk about Sam or Rdm ....both can take a slot , sam has way more chances tho , rdm has to fight with Blm that now can move way more and Smn that is still have tons of aoe burst and can have even more burst with Bahamut , still think blm will remain king for aoe
  • derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I'm so excited for Stormblood!
    ZephyrjinxSoulsemmer

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Lvl 58 atm hope I can make it with all the storyquests done.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited June 2017
    Great changes, though I'm confused as to how a gap closer being added to monk matters outside of PvP. There are no knockback mechanics in the game really, and in that case you would need to wait for the tank to grab agro rather than gapclose and go nuts while the tank runs towards the enemy/uses ranged taunts which would move the enemy anyway.

For PvP though I could see that being very nice.
  • Spankster77Spankster77 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Is the combat system still slow and clunky? I played quite a bit when Heavensward dropped but after getting all 3 tank jobs to 60 I just couldn't get use to the slow paced 20 button rotations. If they actually decreased skill bloat and the GCD this game could be really fun.
  • darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383

Warlyx said:

u didnt talk about Sam or Rdm ....both can take a slot , sam has way more chances tho , rdm has to fight with Blm that now can move way more and Smn that is still have tons of aoe burst and can have even more burst with Bahamut , still think blm will remain king for aoe

So yes and no, Sam is playing a game of greed, they bring practically nothing to the raid, they have a slashing de-buff but so does nin, and war. Same goes for BLM they bring burst but little to nothing else. Honestly my guess is sam will take a back seat to mnk and blm will take a back seat to bard, with smn and drg being the others.
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Now I'm a big fan of the game, it's my main mmo.
    But damn developers, what the heck have you done with the WHM?

This rng lily mechanic is awful. A simply terrible idea whichever way you look at it.
    20% chance to proc a lily by spamming skills not many healers use. Then carry on spamming for another 20% chance to get 2 lilies, then yet more spamming for the third 20% lily - but by this time you've exceeded the time of the first lily buff. What on earth where you thinking of?

Added to this is the removal of basically all the individual class utilities, meaning the other two healing classes - Ast & Sch - can bring far more to the group and with better healing.

Rng allied to a basic healing mechanic is wrong. There's a place for rng - ftp lockboxes -  and that's it.
    It should never appear in standard class mechanics. It was bad enough with the Ast lucky dip card draw - but at least that's peripheral to their main healing skills.
    Now they put it into WHM healing - absolutely wrong.

I don't know what they're thinking with the changes to WHM - but they urgently need to reverse these decisions. Otherwise the game will see an abandoning of the class, together with increased reservations about ordering Stormblood while these kind of class ruining decisions are being made.
  • AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665

JudgeUK said:

Now I'm a big fan of the game, it's my main mmo.
    But damn developers, what the heck have you done with the WHM?

This rng lily mechanic is awful. A simply terrible idea whichever way you look at it.
    20% chance to proc a lily by spamming skills not many healers use. Then carry on spamming for another 20% chance to get 2 lilies, then yet more spamming for the third 20% lily - but by this time you've exceeded the time of the first lily buff. What on earth where you thinking of?

Added to this is the removal of basically all the individual class utilities, meaning the other two healing classes - Ast & Sch - can bring far more to the group and with better healing.

Rng allied to a basic healing mechanic is wrong. There's a place for rng - ftp lockboxes -  and that's it.
    It should never appear in standard class mechanics. It was bad enough with the Ast lucky dip card draw - but at least that's peripheral to their main healing skills.
    Now they put it into WHM healing - absolutely wrong.

I don't know what they're thinking with the changes to WHM - but they urgently need to reverse these decisions. Otherwise the game will see an abandoning of the class, together with increased reservations about ordering Stormblood while these kind of class ruining decisions are being made.

Yeah, I watched some breakdown vids on all the changes. WHM seems like one of the worst. I don't see the advantage of WHM when you can use an AST or SCH. Perhaps the appeal will be in stronger base potency since they haven't finalized a lot of the numbers.

I was thinking of running Bard for the expansion but second guessing it now. A lot of people like the changes but I don't see the appeal. Our refresh songs will now be 30sec long with a 3min CD. In its place we get 3 songs that that you will keep up consecutively. The base bonus they apply is 2% crit. This seems weak and crit is inconsistent. Things like Troubadour will help with utility but it will be pretty random which song you have up at the moment at any given time. It doesn't help that this will have a 3min CD as well.

I'll have to wait and see once all the numbers are finalized. I thought I was going to go Bard but now after seeing more in-depth looks into the changes I am pretty 'meh' about most of them.