Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW 2 Why the hype

2»

Comments

• PinoXPinoX Member UncommonPosts: 71
    edited May 2017
    It only took 2 1/2 months for them to basically flushed their manifesto down the toilet with the introduction of fractal and ascended. It was a slippery downward slope from there onward.
    The manifesto was one of the big reason there was so much hype.

The game is not dead in term of population. In fact, ppl will keep pointing that out to you in game, forums and reddit. 
    However, it is not worthwhile to spend money in the game anymore (ie. gemstore). This is the reason the revenue is pretty low in comparison to other NCSoft mmorpgs. In revenue sense, the game is sort of dying.
    Pvp in this game is literally dead, walking corpse. There are ppl playing, but it's not worth while and the effort. The core mechanic of combat system is just too chaotic/spamfest for pvp and niche in long term.

This game is focused on raiding now. The content resources is poured on that part of the game. Everything else feels flat.
    Living story new maps are all basically same stuffs with different skin and shape + achievements. Each new map will probably only last you a week if you played it slowly. 2 days if you blasted through it. After that, you only go there for farming, like the silly turrets farming @ Lake Doric. You'll usually end up with 2month-ish waiting for new living story contents.
    You will always see white knights of this game praising the new living story maps like it's the 2nd coming of Jesus. The reality is most ppl rarely spend time on them after the first week of their release.

They will have a chance to turn it around on next expansion. However, imo the pattern will be the same all over again like HoT xpac. Inital high burst from xpac sales then follow by low revenue streams every quarter again. This game gemstore isn't exactly anywhere close to being exciting to spend on and won't be for as long as they manage it like they always do.
    Post edited by PinoX on
    Thupliturin231Nepheth
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    GW2 is good but they screwed the people that bought the original game.
    eddieg50
  • turin231turin231 Member CommonPosts: 5
    edited May 2017
    PinoX said:
    It only took 2 1/2 months for them to basically flushed their manifesto down the toilet with the introduction of fractal and ascended.

The game is not dead in term of population. In fact, ppl will keep pointing that out to you in game, forums and reddit. 
    However, it is not worthwhile to spend money in the game anymore (ie. gemstore). This is the reason the revenue is pretty low in comparison to other NCSoft mmorpgs. In revenue sense, the game is sort of dying.
    Pvp in this game is literally dead, walking corpse. There are ppl playing, but it's not worth while and the effort. The core mechanic of combat system is just too chaotic/spamfest for pvp and niche in long term.

This game is focused on raiding now. The content resources is poured on that part of the game. Everything else feels flat.
    Living story new maps are all basically same stuffs with different skin and shape + achievements. Each new map will probably only last you a week if you played it slowly. 2 days if you blasted through it. After that, you only go there for farming, like the silly turrets farming @ Lake Doric. You'll usually end up with 2month-ish waiting for new living story contents.
    You will always see white knights of this game praising the new living story maps like it's the 2nd coming of Jesus. The reality is most ppl rarely spend time on them after the first week of their release.

They will have a chance to turn it around on next expansion. However, imo the pattern will be the same all over again like HoT xpac. Inital high burst from xpac sales then follow by low revenue streams every quarter again. This game gemstore isn't exactly anywhere close to being exciting to spend on and won't be for as long as they manage it like they always do.

What a bunch of lies. Really what is your beef with the game? It is one thing to not like a game but actually spreading misinformation about facts is another.

The fractals only have very mild gear progression from the higher levels that you only do once (no repeatable treadmills) and it is not present anywhere else on the game. It is not a breach of the manifesto. 

Ascended were added because getting exotics were too easy than originally thought. They have not added new tiers for 4.5 years and one expansion and they have no plans to do so. If the tier was there from the start none would even complain even though it would be the exact same thing.

And how is the game focused on raids? They deliver 1-2 raids per year from a team of 5-10 people out of 400 developers, when all the rest are doing other stuff. 
    So what? Are Anet CEOs are insane so they spend 90% of their salary budget on things the game is not focused on. That or booze and strippers.  

And have you thought the amazing possibility that the people that say they like the LS maps that are not white knights and actually enjoy them despite the fact that you do not? Crazy I know. 

The maps are all designed roughly the same way all the core Tyria maps are designed. It is more of the same thing. For some this is good, for some it is bad. I can understand if people find this boring after all this time. 

But complaining about how things have changed when they deliver content designed with exactly the same philosophy is borderline insane. Its like complaining of how thirsty you are while drinking water.   

PS. The game is not dying  in sense of revenue either. You are comparing them with all the other NCSOFT games that have a presence on the Asian market. If you actually read the stockholders reports you will see that in the NA/EU GW2 accounts for a bit more than 50% of the revenue of all NCsoft games and give a revenue of sth like 15 mil $ per quarter. 
    Nepheth
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    edited May 2017
    I'm guessing this refers to the sidebar 'top voted games' that used to be called hypemeter or somesuch. And gw2 is currently the highest rated one on the released page.

So
    1 it's not hype
    2 people gave it on average a very high score when it was new
    3 said score does not decay over time 

and bam, that's why gw2 is still rated so high.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Why do gw 2 has the highest hype in here ?

What is new ?
    Says free to plasy but expansion cost money..so its only half free if u ask me

It it realy worth playing ?
    Not sure about the hype part, but there is an enormous amount of content available without the expansion, so I would say yes its worth playing. If you still like the game after a few hundred hours of playing for free, pick up the expansion on a discount sale to enjoy a couple of extra class options and a bit more pve content.

I can't think of any other f2p western mmo that is better overall or has a fairer monetization system. 
    edited June 2017
    turin231 said:
    PinoX said:
    It only took 2 1/2 months for them to basically flushed their manifesto down the toilet with the introduction of fractal and ascended.

What a bunch of lies. Really what is your beef with the game? It is one thing to not like a game but actually spreading misinformation about facts is another.

The fractals only have very mild gear progression from the higher levels that you only do once (no repeatable treadmills) and it is not present anywhere else on the game. It is not a breach of the manifesto. 

Ascended were added because getting exotics were too easy than originally thought. They have not added new tiers for 4.5 years and one expansion and they have no plans to do so. If the tier was there from the start none would even complain even though it would be the exact same thing.

And how is the game focused on raids? They deliver 1-2 raids per year from a team of 5-10 people out of 400 developers, when all the rest are doing other stuff. 
    So what? Are Anet CEOs are insane so they spend 90% of their salary budget on things the game is not focused on. That or booze and strippers.  

And have you thought the amazing possibility that the people that say they like the LS maps that are not white knights and actually enjoy them despite the fact that you do not? Crazy I know. 

The maps are all designed roughly the same way all the core Tyria maps are designed. It is more of the same thing. For some this is good, for some it is bad. I can understand if people find this boring after all this time. 

But complaining about how things have changed when they deliver content designed with exactly the same philosophy is borderline insane. Its like complaining of how thirsty you are while drinking water.   

PS. The game is not dying  in sense of revenue either. You are comparing them with all the other NCSOFT games that have a presence on the Asian market. If you actually read the stockholders reports you will see that in the NA/EU GW2 accounts for a bit more than 50% of the revenue of all NCsoft games and give a revenue of sth like 15 mil $ per quarter. 

I don't have beef with the game and i still play it every now and then. It's not misinformation either.

I'm not talking about gear progression, exclusively. Fractal and ascended are vertical progression. Sure they didn't add the new tier in 4.5 years but asked yourself this question, how many times have they reset/wiped fractal progressions? Agony resistance/fractal level requirements are actually vertical progression in a sense. Ppl who has played since beginning had to redo their fractal personal levels again and again. They didn't add new tier, but there are gear grind in it. In a sense they actually keep adding new stats. Rewipe fractals and increasing infusion requirement also a part of it.
    Vertical progression is hidden in ascended and fractal.

Hell, they even hide/put trinity in raid only, which makes their manifesto looks like a joke. See, just because they put/hide it behind raid, it doesn't mean trinity doesn't exist in the game.
    Trinity is hidden in raid.

Adding ascended 2.5 months into a new mmorpg was not a decision that came out of the blue in response to exotic access level. It was planned. The game was made with ascended in mind and everything gear related has always been ascended ever since. It is BS that they made this up on the fly after only 2.5 months.
    GW2 was not truly originally designed as conventional mmorpg. The vertical progression/trinity in game are twist and turn in a weird way. They are obscuring and hiding it.
    Hence this is why i said, the manifesto was literally flushed down the toilet 2.5 months into release.

And please don't get started with the default 'everything is optional' argument. That's the most cringe worthy default argument GW2's white knight has to offer.
    You could literally run around in circle and technically still playing the game, hey everything else is optional, hrrr.

The game itself has 2 power creeps since release in a way where it didn't raise the level cap:
    1. Ascended Gears' power creep .
    2. Spec Elites' power creep which you have to pay for ... technically.
    Just because the level cap didn't increase, it doesn't mean power creeps weren't there. Most ppl just keep a close eye in this game and ignoring it.

I said they poured content resources into raid, obviously not everything. Majority should be on expansion, that is obvious. I said this because the content resource, hence creative ideas for once, is being thrown into raid. Bosses fights and mechanics. A lot of PVE balancing is based on raid.

Of course i know there are ppl that actually like the new LS maps but the amount of praises they get on every release and the amount of ppl actually spending time on them don't add up.
    And NO, the new LS maps are not the same structure with Core Tyria maps.
    1. Repeatable Heart Nodes more or less 4 of them on each map. The core for each maps.
    2. Dailies specific for each maps.
    3. Floating XP/Unbound Magic balls.
    4. Tube transport.
    5. Leyline/Updraft.
    6. Bosses/Mobs around the maps to kill for dailies.
    7. New currency nodes specific for each maps.
    These key structures/features are not in Core Tyria maps or the better part of it. You are confusing it with the skins/themes: Snow, Volcanic, Jungle, Kryta theme in Lake Doric, in which they are similar.

You didn't even bother to refute my comment on pvp aspect of the game. Yes, it is a walking corpse.

Taking an arbitrary number to suit your need saying that its actually a big number for NA/EU part doesn't make it look more impressive. It still doesn't look good as a whole. GW2 is competing with Aion at bottom of the food chain. Consistent revenue but it is not high for sure.
    I'm not saying it's bad to the point Anet will close down, but hey we are getting new xpac. And I am hoping things will turn around and change for good.
    Post edited by PinoX on
    Nepheth
    edited June 2017
    I don't have problem with this game and have accepted that the manifesto has long gone in Anet's book.

The problem I have is that there are lots of ppl going around under the impression Anet is still sticking by their manifesto, which is extremely untrue. Hence, you get to see ppl new coming in this game being told such manifesto still standing tall.

Take a good look at the recent argument/debacle in the official forum and reddit regarding the accessibility of Legendary Armor. It's freaking stupid that ppl still bringing up manifesto.

Anet hides vertical progression and trinity in a cloak and dagger way, with the excuse "optional". Hell, even buying HoT xpac to enjoy elite spec's power creep is "optional".

Post edited by PinoX on
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I thought this thread was going to be a necro from 2012.

d_20 said:
    I thought this thread was going to be a necro from 2012.
    Funny, talking about necroing stuffs from 2012.
    Not that only Anet's manifesto turned out to be pile garbage, look at Star Citizen and their fiasco from 2012 untill now. And don't forget No Man's Sky fiasco sometime in between.
    Bottom line is don't take game devs words at face value. All their promises and so called visions are not contractually/legally binding.

Ppl loves throwing money at kickstarter these days. Oh boy, Ashes of Creations sounds sweet, let see how that will turn out.