Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does VR mess with your brain?

2»

Comments

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Looking at any screen long term effects cause damage. Simple eye strain can cause problems when its long term. Thinking that VR would not cause some effect is shortsighted. Question is, will it be something noteworthy? How large a segment of the population will have problems? We do things to ourselves every day that causes damage to one agree or another.
    dude! I have estimated I have aprox. 81,000 hours of being behind a computer screen. holy fuck!

I think we have direct proof of the negative effects of long term screen use based on this post. 
    so there you are, based on what you said VR will take around 24 years of every day use before it becomes a problem. Thanks for contributing 
    it's called a joke.
    well its good that you can prove my point and be humors about it as well. that takes skill
     If that's proof of something other than I made a joke, and proof of said joke, you're reading into it too much. 

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Looking at any screen long term effects cause damage. Simple eye strain can cause problems when its long term. Thinking that VR would not cause some effect is shortsighted. Question is, will it be something noteworthy? How large a segment of the population will have problems? We do things to ourselves every day that causes damage to one agree or another.
    dude! I have estimated I have aprox. 81,000 hours of being behind a computer screen. holy fuck!

I think we have direct proof of the negative effects of long term screen use based on this post. 
    so there you are, based on what you said VR will take around 24 years of every day use before it becomes a problem. Thanks for contributing 
    it's called a joke.
    well its good that you can prove my point and be humors about it as well. that takes skill
     If that's proof of something other than I made a joke, and proof of said joke, you're reading into it too much. 
    regardless, thanks for agreeing with me and I hope you do not suffer eye strain while reading this

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Is there a point? Eye strain is a real thing. ....
    I never said it wasnt. 

what specifically are you suggesting the risk differentiator between a PC monitor and a VR headset is. because that is the only thing worth talking about in the context of VR specifically and its risks.

Not pointing out (while looking at a monitor) something we all do daily for decades.

Think about this. You actually took the time to look up that information and write a response while doing it behind a computer monitor and you never even understood the point. I think (but not sure) that is defined as cognitive dissonance

Do you ever get the context of a post? Or do you just reply after reading the first line? Im for the most part agreeing with you. 
    Nanfoodle said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Is there a point? Eye strain is a real thing. ....
    I never said it wasnt. 

what specifically are you suggesting the risk differentiator between a PC monitor and a VR headset is. because that is the only thing worth talking about in the context of VR specifically and its risks.

Not pointing out (while looking at a monitor) something we all do daily for decades.

Think about this. You actually took the time to look up that information and write a response while doing it behind a computer monitor and you never even understood the point. I think (but not sure) that is defined as cognitive dissonance

Do you ever get the context of a post? Or do you just reply after reading the first line? Im for the most part agreeing with you. 
    I try to stop when it gets ridiculous. The original assertion for the reasons given is beyond asine

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Nanfoodle said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Is there a point? Eye strain is a real thing. It depends on your age, existing eye conditions/problems. Long term eye strain can cause...

The above problems long term can cause other problems. But if you read my post you replied to. Most things we do cause damage and problems. My point is, how much of a problem is it. Is it smoking bad, or eye strain bad? 

One thing I feel like gets overlooked (ha ha) whenever eye strain comes up in the context of VR is the benefit of stereoscopy; you are not looking at one focal length as you do when viewing a 2d monitor. There is depth perception. Another way of thinking about this is that you are not looking *at* a screen you are looking *through* a screen (two screens, really).

So, while it's easy to go 'oh good, a screen less than 3" from your eyes, must be bad for them'... is it?

It's not natural light, so there is that. I always turn my screen brightness to a minimum before wearing the headset. However, if eye strain occurs I don't think it will be from lack of adjusting ocular muscles. Although technically you do have a pair of OLEDs very close to your eyes, that's not what it "looks" like. Objects appear naturally distant: anywhere from less than a meter away to the far horizon.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited November 2016
    VR made them do it!

When asked by an "investigative hack" whether  "VR disorientation" was the reason they had "done it" 100% of those in police custody replied "absolutely; it wasn't my fault". QED.
    gervaise1 said:
    VR made them do it!

When asked by an "investigative hack" whether  "VR disorientation" was the reason that the people in police custody had "done the deed" 100% said absolutely; it wasn't there fault. QED.
    I think fanstatical (yeah I know) reasoning which may or may not end up being accurate can be fun and just as helpful as anything pulled out of the ass can be which is what we are doing here anyway.

So with that I think VR useage will clearly increase the chance of Alien Attacks

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Nanfoodle said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Is there a point? Eye strain is a real thing. It depends on your age, existing eye conditions/problems. Long term eye strain can cause...

The above problems long term can cause other problems. But if you read my post you replied to. Most things we do cause damage and problems. My point is, how much of a problem is it. Is it smoking bad, or eye strain bad? 

One thing I feel like gets overlooked (ha ha) whenever eye strain comes up in the context of VR is the benefit of stereoscopy; you are not looking at one focal length as you do when viewing a 2d monitor. There is depth perception. Another way of thinking about this is that you are not looking *at* a screen you are looking *through* a screen (two screens, really).

So, while it's easy to go 'oh good, a screen less than 3" from your eyes, must be bad for them'... is it?

It's not natural light, so there is that. I always turn my screen brightness to a minimum before wearing the headset. However, if eye strain occurs I don't think it will be from lack of adjusting ocular muscles. Although technically you do have a pair of OLEDs very close to your eyes, that's not what it "looks" like. Objects appear naturally distant: anywhere from less than a meter away to the far horizon.
    My guess is the negative effects would be no worse than using a PC monitor, fact you would use a VR headset allot less (time wise) makes me think it cant be that bad. My only point is almost everything cases some damage to us. Even smoked meat has the chance to give you cancer. At what point do we put ourselves in a bubble to do no damage. Even then the bubble may have CFCs in it lol. 
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906

I been playing vr for about 6 months now and doesn't seem to bother me at all.

Are you onto something or just on something?
  • fujikayfujikay Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Not interested much in VR. Just when I wear VR glasses, it makes me stunned on my brain and eyes. I guess we can not wear it for a long time. Just have a experience for it.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Need more data from long time usage and right now not yet available let it become more mainstream then there will more data for them to determine any affects if any.
    Chamber of Chains
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I get pretty severe motion sickness from VR (sadly) but it's the exact same motion sickness I get from trying to play many first-person games, it just sets in faster.  I don't think there's anything unique about VR sickness, I just think people are noticing it for the first tie because they are resistant to mild forms of motion sickness.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Nanfoodle said:

My guess is the negative effects would be no worse than using a PC monitor, fact you would use a VR headset allot less (time wise) makes me think it cant be that bad. My only point is almost everything cases some damage to us. Even smoked meat has the chance to give you cancer. At what point do we put ourselves in a bubble to do no damage. Even then the bubble may have CFCs in it lol. 
    I think it's a little more complex than that.. We really don't know the patterns yet to determine how the majority uses a headset.  

We're focusing specifically on eye strain in this portion of the conversation, it definitely has some other negative effects in other physical areas,  but that being said,  it could be that people are moving their eyes MORE in a VR set because the set is so close, it could be less because people are turning their heads to see things instead of moving their eyes...  and it could all be dependent on the activity.

Personally I cannot and refuse to watch Netflix or Hulu on a headset.  It actually makes it tougher, because they expect you to watch it like a regular TV in a fixed position, and that removes all benefits of having a screen on your head.   But aside from that when you normally watch a show you can flick your eyes around quickly because you have a broader view of the screen and that is irrespective of your actual face, head or neck position. 

When I watch a show with a headset on, slight adjustments to my positioning and the sheer size of the screen in the set makes it uncomfortable.  Think about always watching a show on an IMAX screen in the 3rd row.   

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Sorry for exhuming this 7 month old thread, but I couldn't find a more appropriate place to share this:

https://goo.gl/photos/oZLsPYjmdxgMsHyv8

NBC Nightly News did a 2 minute spot on VR and how it may help with chronic pain.  What was most interesting about the video to me was how the doctor would have the patient move his healthy arm in real life, but in virtual reality the patient's injured(?) arm was moving, and this resulted in chronic pain reduction.

Or... "rewiring the brain" :smile:

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Sorry for exhuming this 7 month old thread, but I couldn't find a more appropriate place to share this:

https://goo.gl/photos/oZLsPYjmdxgMsHyv8

NBC Nightly News did a 2 minute spot on VR and how it may help with chronic pain.  What was most interesting about the video to me was how the doctor would have the patient move his healthy arm in real life, but in virtual reality the patient's injured(?) arm was moving, and this resulted in chronic pain reduction.

Or... "rewiring the brain" :smile:
    yeah and there are multiple examples of things like this in the field of Psychology which does also suggest it must have a large impact on gaming experience as well.

I know it does for me, that said I use it less then I thought I would for four reasons
    1. its a pain to setup and how my PC is I would have to change setup when playing VR vs not.
    2. Content is still just at the 'experience' level. There is one game I am watching that looks like it could meet my person demand for great game depth but its not even in early access just yet
    3. I am getting friggin old. VR is exhausting, fun and amazing but exhausting it does take a lot out of me when talking about gaming for 4 hours or something (although I have done it).
    4. The amount of game content currently in my eco-system (early access/indie) is HUGE...once i see one title, I see another, then another, all very deep and compelling so I spend a lot of time that way
    Phaserlight

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Well the medical disclaimers and legalese are getting bigger and bigger as more and more people are having severe medical issues while using VR. I own the PSVR and its been collecting dust pretty much since I bought it. The nausea, perception distortion, balance issues for as long as 2 hours off the set, migraines, and eye spasms even after short 1 or 2 hour sessions pretty much ended my VR adventures. While I did dust it off to give Farpoint a try throwing up after only an hour of play put my headset right back into the dust bin.   
    psiic said:
    Well the medical disclaimers and legalese are getting bigger and bigger as more and more people are having severe medical issues while using VR. I own the PSVR and its been collecting dust pretty much since I bought it. The nausea, perception distortion, balance issues for as long as 2 hours off the set, migraines, and eye spasms even after short 1 or 2 hour sessions pretty much ended my VR adventures. While I did dust it off to give Farpoint a try throwing up after only an hour of play put my headset right back into the dust bin.   
    those are just people who use it while drunk I wouldnt be too concern with those reports

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275
    I do not know if the army still does it, but in the past they banded troops that did VR training sessions from piloting or driving for 24 hours.

So just to be on the safe side, do not drive, pilot or use dangous equipment for 24 hours after a VR use untill we can get more medical research studies and the after effects of VR use.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited May 2017
    I mean it can for some people just like different wave lengths of light can keep a person up all night example computer monitors...

If something is making you sick can either keep doing it, or give it a rest and see what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CVN5FRl5F8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CVN5FRl5F8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCZlMw8Q27c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CAntTufqtI

As for VR, Its only a matter of time until there is a functional HUD's up display in Real Life talking Military Applications, as well as possibly use for the General Public such as Taking Photos, as well as a future where there are no more traffic accidents for example, total automation etc.

Imagine being able to look through a contact out of your eye and put one inside of a Deer your hunting taking it down with one shot 100% of the time with movement prediction programs through a HUD's up display in the real world, as well as Real World health monitoring, complete automated systems to detect many illnesses, diseases, and so on, this stuff already exists and is in development, so talking about VR, or Augmented Reality, or Bionics, yes it can have many effects on the Real World...

Yes its real.
    Acornia said:
    I do not know if the army still does it, but in the past they banded troops that did VR training sessions from piloting or driving for 24 hours.

So just to be on the safe side, do not drive, pilot or use dangous equipment for 24 hours after a VR use untill we can get more medical research studies and the after effects of VR use.
    or for that matter eat donuts

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited May 2017
    All the sitting (and sometimes standing around) so we can comfortably use the computers is probably doing more harm to us than the VR, or as much. Sedentary living didn't start with comptuers, but they make it worse.

Lets be blunt. Humans, or modern life, is an experiment. It'll never be perfect. You can never prevent every mishap or inconvenience.
    Phaserlight