Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is "Monetization" a Millennial trigger word?

124»

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Abuz0r said:
    Something I've noticed over my painful experience of reading Millennial opinions when it comes to money and game development is that the single largest issue surrounding a video game is how much money they DON'T have to spend to play it.  

where the fuck have you seen that complaint actually happen?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Distopia said:
    laserit said:
    Gdemami said:
    laserit said:
    Most people by the time they get to middle age have figured out how the World goes round.

The ones who don't are lost causes.
    ...that's what I said - lost causes ranting about "P2W and other nonsense.

The ones that "figured out how world goes around" have no problem with cash shops, F2P and alike "inequality".
    Na....

The "lost causes" are the ones who are old enough to know better, but have to be supported by society because of their irresponsible life decisions.
    What does this have to do with game monetization? At least attempt to stick to the topic at hand... Internet bills, costly gaming PCs, etc... Are out of most of those folks range in terms of expenses, the poor folks I know are lucky enough to have a used 360 hooked to a 20 inch TV . Let alone having money to support the f2p method. They are in no way the intended audience.

I have to agree with Gdemami here as it's mostly the older audience that just seem oblivious or outright hostile to the ideas of commerce and how monetization trends work. They're dollars are no longer sought, their popular trends have been passed by. 

Most of the younger generation don't even play MMOs let alone have much of an opinion on f2p vs P2P. It's also not like they're any less willing to pay for their entertainment. They just like to pay differently and on different things. In a lot of ways they like to pay more for their luxuries. When we were young we went for the dollar (slice of pizza) as an on the run snack, they go for the 20 dollar one (expensive drinks, and artisan delis). We had a non expensive beeper they have state of the art phones and pads. 

So it's certainly not an issue of freeloader (mils) vs the spender (older crowd). They certainly spend. And they spend a lot on even rudimentary things. 

Where I'd split with Gdemami is that F2P is a direct result of the older gen who actually played MMOs in abundance at their height, as well as a result of their changing lifestyles. Regardless of you or anyone else's anecdotal reality that posts here. We're most likely the exception not the rule in most gaming situations. Most aren't going to pay a sub for something they have little time to devote to. Hence F2P is perfect for that type of crowd. 

It has everything to do with game monetization.

My comments were/are geared toward the dark side of F2P, most prevalent in the mobile market. Some of the models are very predatory. Just like alcohol, drugs and gambling, some people have serious issues with it. 

My comment you quoted means that most people learn from life experience but some never do. The ones who don't, end up having to be subsidized by the rest of us.

This can be true whether it be alcohol, drugs, gambling or gaming.

It doesn't have anything to do with Millennials vs older crowd, people are people. I've read many a story of people our age getting themselves into financial trouble with some of these games.

When people get themselves into financial problems it's their problem. The ones where it gets so bad that they need to be subsidized, it then becomes your and my problem.

Not all F2P models are created equal, it's the predatory ones I take issue with. 

Gdemami

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

edited May 2017
    The number of people who ACTUALLY complain (and post so that we can see it) that they 'dont have enough money' (which is DIFFERENT than saying 'think prices are too high') is near zero.

so building a very large complex well thought out thesis on something that at its root is not even factual is a waste of time

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    SEANMCAD said:
    The number of people who ACTUALLY complain (and post so that we can see it) that they 'dont have enough money' (which is DIFFERENT than saying 'think prices are too high') is near zero.

so building a very large complex well thought out thesis on something that at its root is not even factual is a waste of time
    Near zero is not the same as zero.

Just last week in the Ashes "I'm a believer" thread someone posted they "couldn't" toss $10 to the KSer campaign due to money issues.

I have previously seen posters claim they can't afford $15 a month for a monthly sub, or $25 to buy a headset with a mic.

Some folks live in countries where the price of games is quite high (Australia) or the standard of living is much lower (Brazil, Malaysia)

Fact is there is quite a large population of gamers out there who can't spend as much money on gaming as many of the posters here.

We call them console players. ;)
    cameltosis

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Just last week in the Ashes "I'm a believer" thread someone posted they "couldn't" toss $10 to the KSer campaign due to money issues.

I have previously seen posters claim they can't afford $15 a month for a monthly sub, or $25 to buy a headset with a mic.

Some folks live in countries where the price of games is quite high (Australia) or the standard of living is much lower (Brazil, Malaysia)

Fact is there is quite a large population of gamers out there who can't spend as much money on gaming as many of the posters here.

Ahhhhhhhhhh, that's why console players are always complaining about the price of their 40 hour $50 expansion, lol. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited May 2017
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:

if you want to continue to build a well thought out thesis that orbits around the OP saying 'all these' when you know its 'very few' I guess have at it and have fun with that.

Kyleran

CrazKanuk said:
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Ahhhhhhhhhh, that's why console players are always complaining about the price of their 40 hour $50 expansion, lol. 
    again...I say this claim is fantasy. I dont read it here or anywhere else

• kingperrin1kingperrin1 Member CommonPosts: 3
    I agree with the poster. The sooner people realize making games is a means to make money and if money isnt being made then no games come out, the better games we will get.
    Iselin
    edited May 2017
    I agree with the poster. The sooner people realize making games is a means to make money and if money isnt being made then no games come out, the better games we will get.
    I do agree that people complain that they feel something costs too much or that the developer is greedy.

I dont agree however that many people claim to not have the money. There is a difference and that difference overtime can taint the debate in a wrong direction if not careful. and I should add there is no harm in the OP just fixing that and moving on.

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Yes, the new commandments for gaming includes "Thou shall not make money!" 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Yes, the new commandments for gaming includes "Thou shall not make money!" 
    and that I do agree with is a pervasive view among gamers

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    SEANMCAD said:
    I do agree that people complain that they feel something costs too much or that the developer is greedy.

I dont agree however that many people claim to not have the money. There is a difference and that difference overtime can taint the debate in a wrong direction if not careful. and I should add there is no harm in the OP just fixing that and moving on.
    Well except being a 9 month old thread the OP may not be following it anymore.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    "Monetization" is not even a word.  You won't find it in a printed dictionary.  Just saying. ;)
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    dougha1 said:
    "Monetization" is not even a word.  You won't find it in a printed dictionary.  Just saying. ;)

Oh its a real word. Your printed dictionary is just way out of date, thats all.

There are lots of real words that are probably missing out of your printed dictionary.

Is covffe in it?
    cameltosis
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    dougha1 said:
    Monetize is a word.  If it isn't in your abridged dictionary (short and incomplete), then go to a public library and ask to be shown an unabridged dictionary (complete, one of those 12 inch thick dictionaries).  If you have a dictionary that you can hold in one hand, that is not all the words in the English language.  And just because a word is not in your personal dictionary, doesn't prevent that word from being a word in the English language. The word has been part of the English language since 1875.  I hope your statement was meant as a joke, and not to be taken seriously.

I certainly can forgive spelling errors.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I see it as more of a societal issue than a generational issue.....I just think its a reflection of 2017 more than anything.
  • pkpkpkpkpkpk Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited June 2017

I am a millennial and it does not trigger anything for me, because I do not know what it means. I started online RPGs with Legend of the Red Dragon and Usurper around 1994 and was near done with them by 2009. The only ones I've played since were TERA (had to upgrade my computer for this, and it wasn't worth it, except for the BAMs (which I think is a curse word if spelled out), yet the quests spoiled this game) and revisiting EQ by Project1999. I consider the stuff you're talking about after my time, even Darkfall, which was a deranged kinsman of Shadowbane. I mention Darkfall, because this game seems to betoken a new kind of MMORPG. The MMORPGs that I grew up with were not sundered into PvP or PvE or "sandbox" or "theme park", and so the kind of feeling that I assume pervades Kickstarter was not present. Vanguard was probably the last one to target the center, and the last one I followed seriously. Pay-to-play games then were mostly Korean, and in many cases were quite good, being that western RPGs were changing dramatically during the period. When compared to the tumultuous change of World of Warcraft at the time or the flabby mood of Warhammer Online, games like Shaiya and ArchLord promised a stable, traditional game. Then again, millennial is a broad term. When I was in Jr. High from '94 to '96 you could count on two hands those of us who logged onto bulletin boards and Telnet in a given grade. My how things have changed!