Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to play expansion what do i need to catch up on?

JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
Is this like when the last expansion came out? I remember i had to catch up on the story quuest before i could even zone into the new content in heavensword. Also will my proffesions be screwed if i dont max them out as well?
I really want to play the expansion but id like to just jump in when it launches or is stormblood similiar to heavensword ?
  • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

DeadSpockMrMelGibson

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited May 2017
    you can now pay your way right thru to the current ... Lame .. but so many tears from those lacking the intestinal fortitude to actual play the game ...
    Viper482
  • DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Sounds like a bait post...
    JeffSpicoli[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Scorchien said:
    you can now pay your way right thru to the current ... Lame .. but so many tears from those lacking the intestinal fortitude to actual play the game ...
    All i want to know is do i have to do the story like i did for heavensword, which im fine with BTW lol I love questing in FFARR. The crafting jobs not so much and thats what i dread. Will i have to grind in heavensword content to bring my crafting jobs up to par?
    DeadSpock
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• kallenskallens Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Crafting and gathering jobs will be going to level 70 in the new expac. If you want to do the moogle beastribe crafting quests ( helpful in leveling crafters) that start in Heavensward, you'll need to have a crafter at level 50 and of course a combat class around the mid 50's. You'll also need to fly to gather mats in HW, so you'll need to open all the aether currents in all the zones. You can do your grand company daily turn ins to help level your crafters as well, but yes, leveling the crafting classes is going to be a lot of work. You can PM me for more info if you'd like
    [Deleted User]JeffSpicoli
    edited May 2017
    kallens said:
    Crafting and gathering jobs will be going to level 70 in the new expac. If you want to do the moogle beastribe crafting quests ( helpful in leveling crafters) that start in Heavensward, you'll need to have a crafter at level 50 and of course a combat class around the mid 50's. You'll also need to fly to gather mats in HW, so you'll need to open all the aether currents in all the zones. You can do your grand company daily turn ins to help level your crafters as well, but yes, leveling the crafting classes is going to be a lot of work. You can PM me for more info if you'd like
    Thanks for the response, Im not quite that far behind lol I have flying and all the aether currents unlocked. I cant remember exactly how far into the quest i am but i did quit a month or 2 after the golden saucer was released so im caught up to story at that point.

Something about the crafting in heavensword felt like such a grind, In the base game i had no problem leveling them to max but when heavensword hit i struggled. Anyway i should be able to get them caught up in 3 or so weeks

[Deleted User]DeadSpockMrMelGibson
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Scorchien said:

You're righ. Doing hours and hours of fetch quests makes me want to puke. 
    DeadSpock
    edited May 2017
    In case anyone is in the same boat as me here is link to the main questline in heavensword http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/quest/?category2=1&page=2. I logged in, checked my "completed" quests under main scenerio heavensword and then looked up online where to find the next quest with the link i gave
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Hoping they release some info about where crafting and gathering is headed, the fact that you have to level all 8 crafters to be able to do 4 star crafting is so ugh.  
    JeffSpicoliMrMelGibson
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    edited May 2017
    Scorchien said:

The fact you think it takes "intestinal fortitude" to grind through a ton of run here, kill this, fetch this quests is incredibly laughable. You enjoy your MMO badassery...I'll stick with my real-life accomplishments.
    kallens
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Viper482 said:
    Scorchien said:

The fact you think it takes "intestinal fortitude" to grind through a ton of run here, kill this, fetch this quests is incredibly laughable. You enjoy your MMO badassery...I'll stick with my real-life accomplishments.
    I already won at real life , That was the easy part...looking for better challenges:)
    MrMelGibson
    why are people always at each others throats on this website? I thought it was me for awhile but the more i read other posts the more i realize everyone that uses this website behaves like they have a giant stick wedged up their ass
    forcelima[Deleted User]Ridelynnmonochrome19Setzerkallens
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    thunderC said:
    why are people always at each others throats on this website? I thought it was me for awhile but the more i read other posts the more i realize everyone that uses this website behaves like they have a giant stick wedged up their ass
    I'm not sure at all why this thread turned this way.  You asked reasonable questions imo.  In fact, I'm glad you did because I had similar questions.  Not sure if I should come back now to catch up, or just wait till the expac launches.  

To answer your question.  I believe it's just the age old tribalism.  There are those who love their mmo so much they attack anyone who they feel might be attacking it.  Even when it's just legitimate questions.  Not sure what the solution for this is.  I just know being here for a while that it's nothing new.
    JeffSpicolinatpick
    thunderC said:
    I'm not sure at all why this thread turned this way.  You asked reasonable questions imo.  In fact, I'm glad you did because I had similar questions.  Not sure if I should come back now to catch up, or just wait till the expac launches.  

To answer your question.  I believe it's just the age old tribalism.  There are those who love their mmo so much they attack anyone who they feel might be attacking it.  Even when it's just legitimate questions.  Not sure what the solution for this is.  I just know being here for a while that it's nothing new.
    Well, all we have to do is look and see who derailed the thread with their negativity, and wonder why is it allowed to continue, where are the mods?  
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Was also wondering about the OPs questions. Was wondering what it would be like to start fresh. Hadn't played this game in a long time. Didn't know you could buy your way, not sure how I feel about that.
    mcrippins said:
    Was also wondering about the OPs questions. Was wondering what it would be like to start fresh. Hadn't played this game in a long time. Didn't know you could buy your way, not sure how I feel about that.
    There are tons of people on my server starting fresh, my server had a que last night, which has never happened so a ton of people are coming back or trying out the game. I myself started fresh with a friend, we both got to 60 in about 3 weeks. The game does start out slow, the combat can feel underwhelming and they take their time getting you to the other areas. 

I think you can get to 50 and have access to Samurai and Red Mage, and take them through Heavenwards, I don't what class you're interested in, but I don't believe those classes will be gated behind getting to level 60 to access them.  Getting to 50 isn't too bad, there are some quest that are considered filler, and are annoying to say the least, these are mostly in Mor Dohna and take about a day to complete, but once they are done, things pick up pretty quickly.  

Heavenwards was really well done, the music and atmosphere is great, the dungeons were really fun too, especially The Vault. You can get through Heavenwards in about a week playing casually and just focusing on the MSQ.  

There are three different jump pots, you can only use one pot to get a character to 60, one pot is for skipping the ARR MSQ and one if for skipping the Heavenward MSQ. They are about 20 bucks each...if you buy all three it will pretty pricey, plus the expacs. 

I'd check out the FF14 reddit, there are guides about starting fresh and returning, what to focus on etc. I can only speak for myself but the game is really great.

mcrippinsMrMelGibson
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    Awesome info - The Samurai is actually what I was interested in. Are the prereqs for that job only to have a level 50? It doesn't seem to have a base job like others.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I really like to get back into this game. The thing is I don't know anyone playing it. Anyone wants to be my friend? I'm such a delight to play with. 
    MrMelGibsonJeroKane
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    They are getting rid of cross class abilities, and Samurai starts at 50, so I don't think the new classes will have a base job or a need to level a job for any shared skills. Not sure if the older classes will still need to level another class to 15. To get Sam you need a level 50 and have reached 2.0 in the MSQ and of course you need StormBlood. 

Samurai will be sharing gear with the Monk class, up to what level I don't know, I'd assume to level 70.  They'll have to add in a Sam weapon. Monk uses "Striking" gear post 50, I know a lot of people are leveling Monks for this purpose. Once you hit 70, you'll get your Artifact gear which will replace the best level 60 gear, everyone will be starting on the same footing at 70. The newest 24 man raid tier will be set in Ivalice, and the 8 main raid tier will be based on Omega. They aren't releasing this raid until two weeks after Heavenwards launch so people have time to get they new classes up to 70.

mcrippinsJeffSpicoli
    edited May 2017
    I just want to update my own post but i was crusing along finishing story quest after story when i hit the cock block . Just keep in mind you will need a ILVL of 230 to finish the story which really blows. Basically if you are not 230 you will need to grind for tome's to buy the gear. The good news is the grind is fairly casual and you should be able to get the gear needed in under 2 weeks. For me that sucks cause i wanted to blow through the story in the next few days in order to be able to grind carpenter and botanist to 60 before storm blood, Guess that wont be happening. 

I like the idea you need to finish the story but they should really soften the requirments to buy 230 -265 gear, reduce the tome cost because this gear will be obsolete when the xpac hits anyway.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

Hey Thunder, have you opened the 24 man raids? Weeping City gives you i230 armor and all the gear is uncapped so you can grab a few pieces each run if your rolls are lucky. There are the Alex raids as well, you can get your 220 accessories from the Midas floors, its a great time to do them since there are a flood of people online, You also get tomes from these raids. If you're okay with Palace the dead, you can get a ilevel 255 kinna weapon, it takes some time, but faster than the tomes.
    JeffSpicoli[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    kallens said:
    Hey Thunder, have you opened the 24 man raids? Weeping City gives you i230 armor and all the gear is uncapped so you can grab a few pieces each run if your rolls are lucky. There are the Alex raids as well, you can get your 220 accessories from the Midas floors, its a great time to do them since there are a flood of people online, You also get tomes from these raids. If you're okay with Palace the dead, you can get a ilevel 255 kinna weapon, it takes some time, but faster than the tomes.
    Im not even sure if i have 24 man raids, but ty for the suggestion im going to look into them.
    kallens
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    I really like to get back into this game. The thing is I don't know anyone playing it. Anyone wants to be my friend? I'm such a delight to play with. 

A lot of people are currently catching up in the game and as such a lot of FC's are recruiting ingame as well. So keep an eye out.
    Joining a nice FC (guild) will greatly enhance your experience ingame.
    ConstantineMerusJeffSpicoli
    Looks like Cactuar is going to be the next big server on the Aether data center, so if you're looking for a big community, start there!