Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Housing in MMORPGs: What Black Desert did right, and what is your favorite housing system?

Comments

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 2,829
    ESO housing suits me fine. Four free single-room homes available by a quest (1 quest per character, homes are account-wide) which means I can use them for porting straight home to a convenient merchant when I'm finished with a dungeon.  That's as far as my interest goes as I never bother furnishing homes in games.  It's just a pity I can't store things there.

It will be of some interest checking out the housing in BDO though, even if I might never use it.
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 20,647
    The node system is awesome.

Housing however is instanced/phased setup that is completely immersion breaking as 100 players all go into the same door and all of their rooms are phased.

Non instanced housing is my preference, but other games could learn from the node system.

starstorm777Nyctelios
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I am torn over this.  I did really love the housing system in SWG and the way I could drop a house where I wanted to.  On the other hand I hated driving around and having to dodge the cluster-F of houses that were all over each planet.  There were a lot of ghost towns that were a pain to go around and it did keep people out of the cities.

I did like the housing in BDO and felt it was an interesting trade off.  I could pick a house in any city I wanted on the side of town I wanted and it was in the city so players still needed to come there.

I felt the housing in BDO was more immersive than in games like Rift or Wildstar.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 94
    FFS You are talking abt BDO housing where every decoration in the house is being bought with real money ??? You are even bringing up the damn p2w disgusting game where players put tons of money for just dressing up their toons-horses-houses-pets and a zillion more for getting a decent gear to just PvP ?
    That game has the players by the balls just for living in a well designed (poorly optimized) world.
    It's not what an MMORPG should ever be and  god I wish we don't go down that road where we have to pay for every damn thing just to play a game.
    Xodicstarstorm777DraemosTsiyaYashaX
    "We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing"

Benjamin Franklin
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member RarePosts: 2,565

How is it done in the real world?  Zoning laws.   Business here, industrial there, personal housing in that place, etc.  

For all the bitching about item decay, abandoned open world housing should have decay as well, and perhaps even be subject to being sold for taxes.  Or looted for materials.  Or set on fire.  Though heaven help you if they institute something similar to Home Owners Associations.

All housing systems are going to have drawbacks, depending on the abstractions used.   Nodes may be one of the better solutions.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Home Owners Associations aren't even a good idea IRL. If you have enough time on your hands to worry about the length of someone else's grass you are someone who truly needs to get a life.

Zoning Laws are a good idea IRL and a good idea in-game though.
    JeffSpicoli
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 653
    I can appreciate the distaste for unorganized housing sprawl with in world house but I still prefer it to the garbage that is instanced housing with 500 people walking into your front door with u...barf
    starstorm777
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,755
    edited May 2017
    Eldurian said:
    Home Owners Associations aren't even a good idea IRL. If you have enough time on your hands to worry about the length of someone else's grass you are someone who truly needs to get a life.
     Try selling your home with a next door neighbors front lawn that looks like jungles of south America and you'll see why HOA's are very good. Basically HOA's are meant to keep the trash out,  clean  up after the trash 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 351
    edited May 2017

Honestly, my favorite housing system was (as I remembered it) in Wurm Online. I didn't go that deep with it (only played about a week), but I remember me and others just going to the middle of nowhere, start terraforming and then building our own houses. If you stopped taking care of your house it would decay, and later disappear. I think there was a possibility of putting up totems in the middle of the village that slowed down the decay. 10 years ago since I played it, so I don't remember the details any more.

I understand the arguments against owning houses out in the open world, but for me nothing breaks immersion more than countless of people having their rooms in a house that by the looks of it shouldn't be able to handle more than 10 people.

Edit: I did start with BDO a few days ago. Only around level 20 though, so haven't seen that much of it. I really like it so far though.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    UO first, even though it just became a tool griefers used to ruin other player's fun. EQII second, just for the amount of customization and management you could do. Also in EQII, most things you places in your house had an effect on your character. Useful housing.

I like the housing in BDO. Unfortunately the rest of the game, not so much.

The ability to block access for other users = annoying &&|| BS.  The UO housing bug was bad until they fixed their issue with house contents getting sent over the net.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

thunderC said:
    Eldurian said:
     Try selling your home with a next door neighbors front lawn that looks like jungles of south America and you'll see why HOA's are very good. Basically HOA's are meant to keep the trash out,  clean  up after the trash 
    IMO the trash is anyone who has so little of a life they care. Unless it's noisy or smells AKA it's actually having some kind of impact on my life I just don't have enough time to care what other people do with their lives and property. And I actually appreciate things like when people let their lawns dry up and die in areas with chronic water shortages. If it isn't edible and it can't survive via natural rain in the area you live in you shouldn't be putting water on it.

So many real problems in the world. The state of your neighbors lawn isn't one of them.
    JeffSpicoliGdemami
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Eldurian said:
    thunderC said:
    Eldurian said:
    IMO the trash is anyone who has so little of a life they care. Unless it's noisy or smells AKA it's actually having some kind of impact on my life I just don't have enough time to care what other people do with their lives and property.
    You'd care if you were a homeowner. The value of YOUR property is impacted by what the people next door are doing...or not doing. 
    JeffSpicoliEldurian

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 6,748
    I like the sandbox aspect of housing but made logical within building. Also renting houses within cities and such outside that sphere, kinda a mix of both.
  • TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 335
    SWG was the one I spent the most time with. I loved it. I do agree on the ghost towns being an annoyance, they could have handled that better (well that goes for a lot of things :p). Towns with an active community were awesome.
  • BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 343
    I don't play anymore but EQ2 housing was great!!!
  • NycteliosNyctelios Member EpicPosts: 3,336
    From the ones I played LoTrO and Gw2.

Gw2 housing is an entire zone, like a district where you character lived. And certain rewards from events are things that goes there - I like the concept, but I do think it is not well executed.
    Steam ID Discord ID: Night # 6102 - GoG ID - 

"There is a fine line between consideration and hesitation. The former is wisdom, the latter is fear." Izaro Phrecius, Holy Emperor of the Eternal Empire, Last of Royal Phrecius Family.
    edited May 2017
    Eldurian said:
    thunderC said:
    Eldurian said:
    IMO the trash is anyone who has so little of a life they care. Unless it's noisy or smells AKA it's actually having some kind of impact on my life I just don't have enough time to care what other people do with their lives and property.
    You'd care if you were a homeowner. The value of YOUR property is impacted by what the people next door are doing...or not doing. 
    The great part about living in an area not full of pretentious snobs is that the property values are cheap when you move in too. And you can have chickens. Having pets who shoot breakfast out their butt is totally worth any "property value loss" we suffer from not having neighbors with perfectly manicured lawns. ;)

I suppose you can live an area where you are told how to live your life if that's what appeals to you but just like I choose to avoid those areas IRL I wouldn't touch a game where housing had homeowners associations unless it was a very small percentage of the land in the game.
    Gdemami
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    thunderC said:
    Eldurian said:
    right...

so we should not have housing in real life...oh wait.

yes...looking at real life as a baseline model for how to make a game feature is often a good idea. not only does it add to immersion but typically the questions of does it work? and how? have already been answered.

and no...'baseline'...does not mean exact. it means just that, baseline to start thinking of design, even more so if the problem in game is the exact same problem that exists in RL and has been battletested in real life.

use real life as a baseline model

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Eldurian said:
    Eldurian said:
    thunderC said:
    Eldurian said:
    The great part about living in an area not full of pretentious snobs is that the property values are cheap when you move in too. And you can have chickens. Having pets who shoot breakfast out their butt is totally worth any "property value loss" we suffer from not having neighbors with perfectly manicured lawns. ;)

I suppose you can live an area where you are told how to live your life if that's what appeals to you but just like I choose to avoid those areas IRL I wouldn't touch a game where housing had homeowners associations unless it was a very small percentage of the land in the game.
    In real life you have both. both for both kinds of people, why not in a game?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 163
    Wildstar housing hands down. Nothing comes close to it. It could fit so many needs of your character or just let you go crazy with your imagination. "Well that breaks the immersion" - kind of. Wildstar had its style so radically in their models that no matter what configuration your house was in, it was part of the Wildstar verse.
    edited May 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Eldurian said:
    Eldurian said:
    thunderC said:
    Eldurian said:

In real life you have both. both for both kinds of people, why not in a game?

Like I said. I'm fine with it as long as it's small percentage of areas. If I start finding I have to play by other people's rules on my own property in a game to live in any of the desireable areas I'm not going to very interested in the game.

Then again given that the areas I find desirable IRL and in-game are areas where I have some distance between my neighbors and I probably already naturally gravitate to the areas that wouldn't have them.

I'd probably be the guy in-game who will literally show up on his lawn with a blunderbuss and open fire on on you if you come tell me how tall the grass in my lawn can be.
    Gdemami
  • warlunhardtwarlunhardt Member CommonPosts: 2
    Thats easy Wildstar, Although ESO housing is good its just a copy of WildStar but not as flexible as WS Housing was and its more difficult to control and place even though the controls are the same.
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,430
    No other MMO has yet to compare to Star Wars Galaxies in terms of size and scope. Dozens of buildings with multiple cultural styles. The only true sandbox game that allowed you to build just about anywhere as long as it wasn't near a major NPC city.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,026
    edited May 2017
    I enjoyed BDOs the best in an MMO setting. I feel collecting items as you progress is good MMO design. So being able to use every building in the game and changing them to suite your level is ideal. I do remember a mmo where you had a Magic Mushroom House you carried with you everywhere. You can plop it anywhere in the world and people can come in. It was an interesting idea.
    I never enjoyed MMOs with houses in the game world where a person has to purchase it and pay rent on it in order to keep it.
    BDOs housing system is probably it's main drawing point and time sink. As a player you want to own every node. The most efficient way to do that is with multiple play through. Collecting them is also rewarding enough to make it worthwhile. To me the pacing of the game is a little too fast, and the collecting aspect slows it right down to manageable.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,628
    They could have just advertise it as a fucking SIM game. If I wanted to build a Fucking house with all the fucking decorations I would have to went back to playing The SIMs.

@Juan_Luc_Picard, I like you man, you makes some great agreements and some great points, seriously not this time. Without a doubt they almost nailed it like they almost nailed it like my mom on prom night. If they did I would been born a decade early.

You want me to buy the shit you craft and decorate my shitty house then I shouldn't be going to 10 level higher zones to PVE or grouping with folks for a damn scroll that summons a fucking boss.

No instance housing/Open world House?...I call Bullshit! When 20 other folks buy the same residence or having to wait until 1 of the 20 is finally available it's hardly OPEN or non instance.

Fix your game, if not I'm not coming back for all the automation shit folks do when they are away from the game. t=Though, I do find it funny how automation is not acceptable in some MMOs, but it's ok in others---->BDO.

Gdemami
    Real Fans of Chess don't get bored!
    Real Fans of Soccer don’t get bored!
    Real Fans of Baseball don’t get bored!
    Real Fans of MMORPGs don’t get bored!
    What's your excuse?