Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zone Music - Which MMO had the best overall?

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,015
    Andraxx said:
    Anarchy Online. It's 16 years old but to me still reigns as best music.

zone "Seascape"

Omg, memories. I loved noob island AO for the music and atmosphere and the leet remarks from the animals there lol.
  • 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    I have to go with FFXI as well. I still love the Rolanberry Fields Theme:
    nNo doubt about it!!
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,980
    Age of Conan by far, IMO. I really liked a few tracks from EQ2 (they used a real orchestra), but AoC's soundtrack was on a completely different level.
    Distopia
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    Music is the one area that the older games can compete with more modern offerings.  Compared to the advances in graphics processors, music is relatively unchanged.  Music is a simple enhancement to games -- if developers put in the little effort, the game gets a lot of benefits.

I did like the music in EQ1 and EQ2, with LotRO and SW:TOR in the mix as well.  Music was the only positive thing from the loading screens in games like EQ1.  Sadly, I don't recall any of the music from superhero games like CoH or CO.  A selection of memorable heroic themes would have been a great addition to the genre.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 397
    edited May 2017
    Cabal Online is by far the best one when it comes to music for me. I love every single ost in this game. 

blueturtle13
  • VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223
    My instinct was to say Jumpgate but then I remembered I had just inserted my favorite songs into the music folder.

I think I have to go with SWG. It's hard to beat John Williams. 
    Leiros
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Grizzly Hills - World of Warcraft 
    JeffSpicoli
  • InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 58
    TBH the old Runescape MIDI tracks. They made absolute art with a limited sound tool

• maksula234maksula234 Member CommonPosts: 9
    Wildstar - Far side
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 856
    Not  a zone music, but used to love to listen to the EvE in game 'jukebox' some classic songs on there
    For those that haven' theard it, this is the 68 songs that were on it back in 14, of course it , itself changed over the years ive played the game
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvNSfEu9-ww&list=PL1dI-mYumSdbWuROSu0Zg19bPaQYgJfCs

JaggaSpikes

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    Inspiring.  

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• bcbullybcbully Member RarePosts: 9,702
    edited May 2017
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,011
    No game comes close to FFXIV, it honestly isn't even a question.
    No band comes close to Metallica, it honestly isn't even a question.
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,011
    edited May 2017
    When you're in the beta of a game, test some human character, and then you first enter the local major town in a game, and you get this...

That one isn't bad either:

JeffSpicoli
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    I turn off music. I'm more interested in hearing the sounds of the environment in a game. Far more interesting to me.

• drivendawndrivendawn Member RarePosts: 2,118
    edited May 2017
    His opinion. Whats the problem? Is it because he didn't say IMO or something? Also your right about Metallica. :)
  • LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 276
    My all time top 5 MMORPG soundtracks (subject to change):

#1 Star Wars Galaxies ... it's John "freakin" Williams
    #2 Elder Scrolls Online ... the lute music is amazing
    #4 Final Fantasy XIV ... Nobuo Uematsu
    #5 World of Warcraft ... despite what people say about WoW, it earned a spot in the top 5.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member RarePosts: 5,811
    Cmmon - its not even a competition

waynejr2JaggaSpikesJeffSpicoli

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,044
    Yess I will always remember Lineage 2 Themes, FFXI, and World OF Warcraft, FFXIV Music was meh I miss the gaming days like FFXI was great FFXIV is pure garbage in my eyes because of housing and poor glamour system thats highly out of date for its development...

Better than Planet Side 2

• LogumLogum Member UncommonPosts: 13
    From all MMORPGs that i've played, Ragnarok Online had the best music for me.
    waynejr2
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,487
    Elwynn forest still brings tears to my eyes. It just takes me back to the times when WoW launched and I started it up for the first time. What an experience that was.

waynejr2JeffSpicoli
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,768
    His opinion. Whats the problem? Is it because he didn't say IMO or something? Also your right about Metallica. :)

He is right about Metallica....On Opposite Day!
    drivendawnJean-Luc_Picard
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ChrysaorChrysaor Member UncommonPosts: 110
    FFXIV -- Amazing music.
  • 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    I turn off music. I'm more interested in hearing the sounds of the environment in a game. Far more interesting to me.
    Same here, I only wanted to here sounds of skill casting sword shattering and the voice of NPC's
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,428
    When it comes to music in MMOs, it's clear a lot of games did an exceptional job. I think it would be a better question to ask, which MMO have you played that you couldn't stand the background music.
    rodingo