Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zone Music - Which MMO had the best overall?

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Music is the one area that the older games can compete with more modern offerings.  Compared to the advances in graphics processors, music is relatively unchanged.  Music is a simple enhancement to games -- if developers put in the little effort, the game gets a lot of benefits.

I did like the music in EQ1 and EQ2, with LotRO and SW:TOR in the mix as well.  Music was the only positive thing from the loading screens in games like EQ1.  Sadly, I don't recall any of the music from superhero games like CoH or CO.  A selection of memorable heroic themes would have been a great addition to the genre.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited May 2017
    Cabal Online is by far the best one when it comes to music for me. I love every single ost in this game. 

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223
    My instinct was to say Jumpgate but then I remembered I had just inserted my favorite songs into the music folder.

I think I have to go with SWG. It's hard to beat John Williams. 
    Leiros
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    Grizzly Hills - World of Warcraft 
    JeffSpicoli
  • InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 66
    TBH the old Runescape MIDI tracks. They made absolute art with a limited sound tool

• maksula234maksula234 Member CommonPosts: 9
    Wildstar - Far side
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859
    Not  a zone music, but used to love to listen to the EvE in game 'jukebox' some classic songs on there
    For those that haven' theard it, this is the 68 songs that were on it back in 14, of course it , itself changed over the years ive played the game
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvNSfEu9-ww&list=PL1dI-mYumSdbWuROSu0Zg19bPaQYgJfCs

JaggaSpikes

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Inspiring.  

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited May 2017
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    I turn off music. I'm more interested in hearing the sounds of the environment in a game. Far more interesting to me.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    My all time top 5 MMORPG soundtracks (subject to change):

#1 Star Wars Galaxies ... it's John "freakin" Williams
    #2 Elder Scrolls Online ... the lute music is amazing
    #4 Final Fantasy XIV ... Nobuo Uematsu
    #5 World of Warcraft ... despite what people say about WoW, it earned a spot in the top 5.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963
    Cmmon - its not even a competition

waynejr2JaggaSpikesJeffSpicoli

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Yess I will always remember Lineage 2 Themes, FFXI, and World OF Warcraft, FFXIV Music was meh I miss the gaming days like FFXI was great FFXIV is pure garbage in my eyes because of housing and poor glamour system thats highly out of date for its development...

Better than Planet Side 2

• LogumLogum Member UncommonPosts: 13
    From all MMORPGs that i've played, Ragnarok Online had the best music for me.
    waynejr2
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Elwynn forest still brings tears to my eyes. It just takes me back to the times when WoW launched and I started it up for the first time. What an experience that was.

waynejr2JeffSpicoli
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    No game comes close to FFXIV, it honestly isn't even a question.
    No band comes close to Metallica, it honestly isn't even a question.
    His opinion. Whats the problem? Is it because he didn't say IMO or something? Also your right about Metallica. :)

He is right about Metallica....On Opposite Day!
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ChrysaorChrysaor Member UncommonPosts: 111
    FFXIV -- Amazing music.
  • 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    I turn off music. I'm more interested in hearing the sounds of the environment in a game. Far more interesting to me.
    Same here, I only wanted to here sounds of skill casting sword shattering and the voice of NPC's
  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited May 2017
    Y´all heathens need some Phantasy Star Online series stage/zone music.
    Most of them are actually voiced in English!

Moonlit Sonata, sung by the very misguided villain you are traveling to kill.
    Song starts properly 45 seconds in.

Neon Days!
    Theme of Las Vegas (During the day) in the alternate universe Earth of PSO2

Neon Nights!
    Same zone during the night.

First Stage of the raid against  Space Battleship YAMATO. (Sadly event no longer available)

Emergency Quest: Burning Rangers.

Tokyo Zero G Theme.

I could be posting music for hours, considering the thousands of songs this game has.

And this is just zone music.
    The boss battle themes are just insane...

Like this one against Dark Falz.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    edited May 2017
    FFXI. Nothing even comes close, IMO. 
    +1 , lufaise meadows (i still remember the 1 time we beated the promys and traveled there, this song started and i was WOAHHHHHH all the way to the city , telling ppl to shut up so i can hear the music (they were woahhing too hahaha and commenting look at this mob , lets kill it is just a to tough!............oh wait link HELP ME OUT PLEASE! hahahah  )

ronfaure , sarutabaruta , ZITAH , tons of god themes ...

exping on colibris ....thanks altana that they let u turn of battle music :P

traveling on ship  :D

p.d Naoshi Mizuta /salute /bow

[Deleted User]
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I most enjoyed the music in original Everquest. It evoked emotion, set a mood, made you feel like something was about to happen, and added an air of mystery that made you want to explore. 
    EronakisMendel

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• netglennetglen Member UncommonPosts: 116
    edited May 2017
    I love a lot of the music from Final Fantasy XI. One of my favorites is the town music for San d'Oria.
    https://youtu.be/FaGaGqejQqI

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Anything from vanilla to Lich King WOW was just amazing, Nothing comes close to what Blizzard does with their music imo.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited May 2017
    Andraxx said:
    Anarchy Online. It's 16 years old but to me still reigns as best music.

zone "Seascape"

login screen

My number two would be Age of Conan,  and number three is LoTRO.

Anarchy online 
    Earth & Beyond
    Neocron
    All sifi mmo's with amazing music. Hearing Anarchy Online really hits me hard as it was my first mmo back in 2001.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    last year thread but heck a good one
    recently ran across the extended version of WoW classic molten core music   and it gets my vote