Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people think computers are expensive?

Comments

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503

I was thinking while I went snowmobiling yesterday,  I have a really old low end snowmobile 1998 xcr 600, it's worth like a grand. People went by me on the trail with 10 to 15 grand machines. Now where I live snowmobiles are useable like 1s to 2s a year maybe. Some times not at all. Yet here are people who have 15 grand machines for thier hobby. 

I don't understand why people think a computer like a 7700k 1080ti are expensive. It's like 1400 if you make it your self, or most 2000. Maybe 2500 if you buy a higher end 4k monitor. A computer is usefully 24 7 , most people who have one use it 5 through 14 hours a day. They last up to 5 plus years.

So are the majority of gamers just generally more poor compared to every one else? Or what is it. I mean snowmobiles are just one. Race cars, 4 wheelers, sports cars, hunting, intact almost every hobby is 10 times more expensive than pc gaming.

Your problem is you are trying to use an example of stuff that doesn't have anything to do with this hobby as a monetary value.  Most people that have those other things most likely are not most likely into gaming as a main hobby.  They most likely would drop a couple hundred on a console and call it a day as far as gaming goes.  That is why they consider it to be to costly to buy a $4k rig which is what a high end system runs these days.  For those that use gaming as their main hobby I don't think $4k every 5 or so years is that expensive, but that is my opinion.  The reason I say this is because if you break it down that $4k system basically cost around $67 a month if you were to save up for it over those 5 years like I tend to do myself for my replacement computers. It also boils down to people that have patience and wait and buy things when they can afford them or the price drops vs. those that go out and have to have the new shiny right away but can't afford it and get frustrated because they can't afford it.  I usually sit back and laugh at anyone who buys first generation hardware the day it comes on the market myself as they are basically the testing dummies for those with patience.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

mgilbrtsn said:

Price is relative.  A 1k computer is cheap to one person while expensive to another.  It doesn't make one view accurate and the other not.  It's all from the buyers perspective.

I guess. But if you compare prices for an average mid gaming PC today and 25 years ago with the average salary of a worker it have actually gotten cheaper today. People need to spend less time at work to afford it now.

That doesn't mean the same as cheap and what you use your PC for have changed. 15 years ago it was your link to the Internet, today more and more people use other devices for that and just game on their PC and I guess the less you use it for the more expensive it feels. 

High en gaming gear have always been rather expensive, be that a Vodoo II 3D card  20 years ago or  a 1080 TI today. Everything is like you say relative but the last 20-30% in performance increase raises the price a lot and have always been so.

A cheap low end PC is cheaper today then ever so everything depends on what you need.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I stopped upgrading my pc about 5 years ago. Mostly as i got older other things are more important.
  • KrynKryn Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Bottom line.  Computers are not  more expensive compared to almost anything else.  I know people that spend the price of a computer on one monthly payment on their car.  Why?  That is what they chose to spend their money on.  Also, life is not fair.   If you are living check to check..then dont by a computer.  Simple.  Feed your kids...period. 

There are different classes of people in the world.  Get where you fit...as mean as it sounds its been that way since the beginning of time.
    Horusra
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    In my younger days I used to live in a efficiency apartment and spend all my money on fun vacations, I just did not care about a fancy apartment but loved traveling all over the World. Today I live in a average house I have my $1,500 computer because the games look great to me, I still go on great vacations
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Loke666 said:

Some gamers are poor but I think the problem lies elsewhere: When I was a kid a C-64 was more expensive then an average PC today, it cost like a high end gaming rig (like $2000 today or so) but it wasn't as big problem since we didn't need much other stuff, a pair of Jeans with a not too embarrassing brand and a WASP LP and I was happy.

Today kids need the latest Iphone, an IPAD and a whole bunch of other crap and the Iphone just is as expensive as a good PC and need to be replaced faster. And just the frigging shoes kids like are expensive.

At the same time are living expenses up and many people have more then 1 job and barely scrapes by anyways.

You want loads of more things then just a PC and you can't afford everything, and what people need is constantly getting more and more.

As for games, they actually cost about the same now as 1984, they were around $60 then and are actually often cheaper today and you have way higher salary now. Of course almost all C-64 games were pirate copies so few people bothered much about prices back then...

MUCH better use of an iPhone example than the poltical statements awhile back comparing the choice of Health Care or an iPhone to be a reasonable one.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited April 2017
    I dont know how old many of you are but at least for me as I get older and I see friends, family and co-workers getting involved in various hobbies pretty much anything PC gaming has to offer even on the high end level is still crazy cheap compared to things like Horseback riding, breeding, hunting, hell even boat fishing, sports, golf,or even just going out on a friday night.

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621

SEANMCAD said:

Loke666 said:

Some gamers are poor but I think the problem lies elsewhere: When I was a kid a C-64 was more expensive then an average PC today, it cost like a high end gaming rig (like $2000 today or so) but it wasn't as big problem since we didn't need much other stuff, a pair of Jeans with a not too embarrassing brand and a WASP LP and I was happy.

Today kids need the latest Iphone, an IPAD and a whole bunch of other crap and the Iphone just is as expensive as a good PC and need to be replaced faster. And just the frigging shoes kids like are expensive.

At the same time are living expenses up and many people have more then 1 job and barely scrapes by anyways.

You want loads of more things then just a PC and you can't afford everything, and what people need is constantly getting more and more.

As for games, they actually cost about the same now as 1984, they were around $60 then and are actually often cheaper today and you have way higher salary now. Of course almost all C-64 games were pirate copies so few people bothered much about prices back then...

MUCH better use of an iPhone example than the poltical statements awhile back comparing the choice of Health Care or an iPhone to be a reasonable one.

Are you being serious about some one saying they would buy a iphone over health care?
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    My new pc cost me 2300 Eu and i still need a 1080 card using 2x 970 sli..and a 2/4 k screen

SEANMCAD said:

Loke666 said:

Are you being serious about some one saying they would buy a iphone over health care?

Here in the US (not sure where you are from) the suggested replacement Health Care Plan would for most people cost more. When asked about that some spokesperson for the administration said 'one has to decide between an iPhone or Health Care sometimes'
    Gdemami

• teradungeonteradungeon Member CommonPosts: 6
    in my country, a regular pack of computer (include the monitor, CPU, speaker, mouse, keyboard) cost twice the monthly salary of average people (sorry for my english, it's not quite well)
  • caseyfloyd6caseyfloyd6 Member CommonPosts: 1
    It depends on our need if someone is just want to buy a computer to play games than according to him computers are expensive for that he can buy any gaming gadgets and if you are utilizing your pc correctly than their is no need to take any assignment help assistance than you have to manage your time between studies and games.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    i would love to upgrade , but i just cant.....is buying a new PC or going on vacation with my GF ,or not eating food for a while , not going out everynow and then , saving money for whatever comes later on (Car, House or something comes up)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    A reasonably powerful gaming PC isn't really that much more expensive than a Console, particularly when you take into account that for a console to work, you need a television for it, combined price of a decent TV + Console is relatively comparable to a gaming PC + Monitor
    for instance even a half decent 48' television would rush you for about £450, price of an XB1/PS4 is around another £240 or so, or altogether, about £700 which i think is the best part of $1000.
    There is though the feature that PC's have that Consoles don't, which is hardware upgradeability, which drastically increases the shelf life of a PC well beyond that of a Console. :/
    Gdemami
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    What a shitty ignorant thread to start... wake up u monkey! 
    why do consolites think its cool to advertise themselves as the bargin bin deal of gaming?

• chukekle1chukekle1 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I was thinking while I went snowmobiling yesterday,  I have a really old low end snowmobile 1998 xcr 600, it's worth like a grand. People went by me on the trail with 10 to 15 grand machines. Now where I live snowmobiles are useable like 1s to 2s a year maybe. Some times not at all. Yet here are people who have 15 grand machines for thier hobby. 

I don't understand why people think a computer like a 7700k 1080ti are expensive. It's like 1400 if you make it your self, or most 2000. Maybe 2500 if you buy a higher end 4k monitor. A computer is usefully 24 7 , most people who have one use it 5 through 14 hours a day. They last up to 5 plus years.

So are the majority of gamers just generally more poor compared to every one else? Or what is it. I mean snowmobiles are just one. Race cars, 4 wheelers, sports cars, hunting, intact almost every hobby is 10 times more expensive than pc gaming.
     Not everyone still lives with mommy and daddy.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    There are a few problems to overcome.
    1 - The manufacturers have worked HARD to convince people that desktop PCs suck.  They are too big and unwieldy and are not portable at all.

2 - So many PC gamers make it sound like if you don't drop 3 grand on a leet uber machine that you are wasting your time.

3 - Gamers look at game like the latest DOOM (or any other high end game) and are convinced that they would never be able to afford a PC that could play it.

So, my answers

1 - How many people drop over a grand on a gamer level laptop that they hardly ever unplug?  For over a grand you can get a solid gaming PC for under $600, plug it into your TV and have plenty left over for a nice tablet and a keg.  Then you will be too drunk to leave your gaming chair!  :D The main reason the manufacturers want you buying laptops and tablets instead of PCs is that you can't really upgrade a laptop or a tablet, so after 3 years you need to drop $$$ on a new one.  It used to be second nature for computer gamers to upgrade their vid or memory or hard drive.  But the manufacturers don't want it so easy for us!

2 - A thousand dollar gamer PC will play almost anything out there as well as a 3000 dollar rig.  The difference is how well they match up in 3 or 4 years.  The three grand machine is still running at max settings.  But if you are THAT concerned about it, buy a 1000 buck machine now, and in 3-4 years get another 1000 buck machine.  The new one will be faster than the 3-4 year old 'leet' machine, and you spent a total $1000 less, and hardly missed a beat on your PC gaming.  A grand will buy a nice tablet and SEVERAL kegs!

3 - This is the least excusable.  A decision based on ignorance is not a decision.  It only takes a little research to see that you can drop $400 on a decent rig, add a $200 video card, plug it into your 1080p TV and have a machine that will play DOOM very, very well.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• nlipicanlipica Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Be kind enough to donate me i7 7700k, mobo + 16gb ram <3
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited July 2017

You just said it yourself, you have a 20yr old sled and it still does the job. PCs are good for 2-4 years, so you'll have 5-10 PCs in the time you've had 1 sled.

Gdemami
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    The only reason consoles are as cheap as they are is because the companies making them generally lose money on them.  A PS4 costs more than $400 to make.  Companies lose money on the hardware and make it up on the software.  In the long run, 2 or 3 years, PC gaming can actually be cheaper because you can get so many great games for the PC much cheaper (or free, even) than on a console.  The up front cost for a PC is much higher because you need probably around $1000 to get a good gaming PC compared to $400 for a console.
    Gdemami

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    In 1985, a computer was nice, but hardly a necessity.  People were getting into the kitch of doing some bookkeeping on a computer and word processing was a huge leap over the typewriter which was put into the attic.  Thing is you could get something like a commodore 64 or Texas Instruments 99/4A fairly cheaply (say $300 or less) which could do a lot of what a $3,000 IBM PC AT could do.  Most people who owned a PC had to program at least somewhat to make it work well.

In 1995, a computer was a centerpiece of entertainment for many.  It was the day of don't copy that floppy and such.  They were a lot more mainstream, but the cost of entry was higher.  You could now pay $5,000 on a cutting edge box, while most computers were more like $2,500, and a $999 special couldn't run what you wanted.  If you had a modem, you used it to call the BBSs that were around, or that brand new internet thing with telnet and ftp.  No ebay or such, but you could finally get mail around the globe within a reasonable time if you wanted.  Coding ability was helpful but not necessary.

In 2005, the net was taking off like a rocket.  It wasn't close to the net of today, but it was starting to take today's shape.  People actually started to know ebay existed.  $1,000 was still around the baseline for a PC.  There were some that were cheaper but they didn't do much of what you wanted.  $1,500 though could net you a much more competitive machine than even $2,000 would in 1995.  And yes an enthusiast could spend $5,000 but there wasn't quite as much a difference.  Most people with computers couldn't code at all. 

Today the net is everywhere.  The PC is more a device that lets you access the net, but it is far more likely you are going to use the PC to browse than figure the value of pi.  The gaming PC has split off tremendously from the normal PC(which is more often a laptop even or tablet).  For those of us who still use a "box," $2,000 buys a beast of a machine.  $700 buys an adequate gaming machine barring video card shortages.  A $400 portable handles most non-gaming tasks.  The computer for many people is a "I'd like the orange one," affair as opposed to hand-selecting components.  Almost nobody codes whole applications, and very few can even script the net and those seem magical to those who can't.

From 1995 on, computers have gone in one direction pricewise, down.  The expectation for say 2022 would be to buy a beast of a machine for $1500 or a good gaming PC for $500.  I don't see it being able to break out of that and all of a sudden be a $5000 appliance, barring something drastic like optical computing making a huge stride.  Actually the $2,000 PC from 2012 is comparable to a $1,200 PC from 2017, and some people are actually running PCs into the ground rather than buying new ones because "it is so much faster than what I had."  This is a bit scary actually. 

The market price point for computers could be higher, but what you can get isn't advancing much anymore.  With no huge advancement likely in the future, but things getting cheaper to make, the pressure will be for them to get even cheaper even faster.  Profit margins will also increase. 

Computers are becoming more like a standard appliance every day. 
  • Jamesw30Jamesw30 Member CommonPosts: 10
    computers get cheap and the specs go up
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Its not just PC, its PC, Smart Phones, Streaming Services like Google Play Music, Spotify, Netflix, Disney +, Hulo, HBO all getting unique content. Also most companies no longer let you pay for their software, you have to sub. So a program that used to last with one payment for years, you are paying out monthly or yearly. 

Smartphones alone, over a life time people will spend $75,354 on cell phones. You start to add this all up and our modern life get very expensive. Then you take into account parents with 2-4 kids. This gets very expensive. 
    GdemamiAlBQuirkyGorwe