Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Asheron's Call/AC2 private servers?

Hey folks,

Has there been any buzz about Asheron's Call or AC2 possibly having private server status to keep them alive?  I wonder if WB or Turbine or whoever owns the rights would even care, considering they're shutting down both games anyway.  I heard there was some sort of crowdfunding effort to buy the rights to the game and run it privately, don't know if it's true or not.

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Would be great if companies would just advertise to sell partial ownership to a title they planning to retire, so that it can still be worked on by another party and they still make some kind of revenue. Sure an IP is important if you plan to re-use it in some form, but write a clause or something in the contract that allows the rebuying of the part offered if desired in the future.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Yeah, I hope they allow it to live on in some form.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Not that I'm for private servers, but that's what a majority of people who participate in them want or seem to want.
    Albatroes said:
    Not that I'm for private servers, but that's what a majority of people who participate in them want or seem to want.

Well, I'm against private servers that draw paying customers away from the original.  But for a cancelled, zero income game like AC, I don't see any harm.
    So any word about AC/AC2 private yet?  I don't want to believe they're dead.
    Man, there must be like, no demand for this, eh?
  • DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    You may as well just play Project Gorgon instead honestly. I wish AC1 had a p99 type of emulated server that was well populated but it's such a pipe dream and it's not even worth making now tbh. AC never had the following EQ did. :'(
    [Deleted User]Shaydryn