Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - Could Stormblood Cure My Love/Hate Relationship with FFXIV? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - Could Stormblood Cure My Love/Hate Relationship with FFXIV? - MMORPG.com

I’ve got a love/hate relationship with Final Fantasy XIV. I’ve had the pleasure of interviewing Naoki Yoshida from the early days of the effort he lead to rescue the game, through to its successful re-release with A Realm Reborn. The man and his team are incredibly passionate about the work they’re doing and continue to do. FFXIV is gorgeous and I even enjoy the “slower” combat, and yet, I just can’t stick it out with FFXIV.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    Similar feelings. My biggest quip is being forced to do a dungeon to advance MSQ. I generally don't sit and play for 2 hrs straight in order to get into Dungeon finder and then run the dungeon itself. Yes I'm in a guild that would help but I tend to play off-hours.
    [Deleted User]MikeBaCi11i3srojoArcueid[Deleted User]JeroKaneMrMelGibsoninfomatzMiresbartoni33
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Seems you want to make it a 10 button game... why not a 1 button game... having all those options at your fingertips is the charm of a game like this.. get an MMO mouse and play the game like it is...
    [Deleted User]Viper482Theely

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    combat wasnt fun to beginn with, lets hope this changes. Also mount movement speed has been incrased by 150%. I dont need to use speedhacks anymore. finally. Still not sure if i will join.
    MikeBJeroKaneMrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2017
    Leveling has never been the real problem with the game, especially since they have Palace of the Dead, which of course is mindless but does quite a bit for new players. The real problem is the forced gating. You can hit cap without doing a single story quest beyond unlocking palace of the dead (which is linked to being unlocked via the story in a way) but beyond that, you'll still have to slog through 500+ quests (ARR+HW combined) well unless you buy their 25 potion which they wont be including in stormblood btw like games like WoW/Rift/etc would to get people caught up. Also the story skip only does the story, it doesn't give you levels, which there's a separate potion for that. The prices for the skipping are cheaper than WoW/Rift but its pretty stupid to have it seperated to such a degree. Anyway, the whole point is, they are trying to make money off of a problem they could easily fix, which is not forcing so much behind the story. WoW is a prime example of doing things right in terms of expansion progression because if you hit a certain level, you can automatically do the next expansion's content. They could easily quell this by making things unlock at certain levels but they choose not to. Instead they want to make money off of a flawed game design. I do love some of the community's response as to why it wouldn't work such as "It would make people not understand the story" or "That's great for games like WoW, but FFXIV is a heavily story focused game" like WoW isn't???? WoW has 1203910293 more lore than FFXIV but it doesn't forced it down your throat and honestly has more attention to detail like it being heavily voice acted. FFXIV's story is great at parts if you actually read it, but the 25% voice acting just shows they dont care as much about the story as people think they do. Even the story boss voices (very few) are poorly done audio wise as opposed to WoW which are both triple A games.
    AuroronoireAgnhar
  • aCi11i3saCi11i3s Member UncommonPosts: 54
    How is leveling a problem in this game? Every single quest line actually provides a story, that for the most part, fits in with the msq. Running dungeons as part of a msq? How about WoW making u run them just for a chance to get a crafting mat. I have stopped playing this game, as I wanted to focus more on pvp games, but when I return, the questing will be the most fun part. Listen to the dialog...read the quests...it's Final Fantasy people! The story is the best part!
    KalebGraysonAvarixViper482Ricardo58sweetangel20
  • aCi11i3saCi11i3s Member UncommonPosts: 54
    And if u cant conquer a dungeon or raid as part of a msq, then maybe your not the hero that Eorzea needs
    [Deleted User]Dagon13sweetangel20infomatz
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    I just can't stand the global cool down after each skill. Makes the combat feel so slow.
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430

mcrippins said:

I just can't stand the global cool down after each skill. Makes the combat feel so slow.

Play a Monk? I hear their rotation reduces that global cool down time.

Albatroes said:

...I do love some of the community's response as to why it wouldn't work such as "It would make people not understand the story" or "That's great for games like WoW, but FFXIV is a heavily story focused game" like WoW isn't???? WoW has 1203910293 more lore than FFXIV but it doesn't forced it down your throat and honestly has more attention to detail like it being heavily voice acted. FFXIV's story is great at parts if you actually read it, but the 25% voice acting just shows they dont care as much about the story as people think they do. Even the story boss voices (very few) are poorly done audio wise as opposed to WoW which are both triple A games.

1. I think FFXIV has MORE lore. First Release: Warcraft: Orcs & Humans: November 23, 1994 vs. First Release: Final Fantasy: December 18, 1987.

2. The Final Fantasy Story is just so much better than WoW. I mean seriously, Legion...nuff said.
    sweetangel20Agnhar
  • AuroronoireAuroronoire Member CommonPosts: 1
    Final fantasy games are always about the story. Doing the MSQ is part of the game, and if you chose to level without doing the story, then you're not really playing the game the way it was intended, so of course you're not going to like it. Ffxiv is not WoW, so making comparisons to it is ignorant. The game isn't designed to appeal to everyone, and instead of playing it to just then write a whiny review about the things you don't like, go play something else.
    KalebGraysonViper482sweetangel20Agnhar
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Similar feelings. My biggest quip is being forced to do a dungeon to advance MSQ. I generally don't sit and play for 2 hrs straight in order to get into Dungeon finder and then run the dungeon itself. Yes I'm in a guild that would help but I tend to play off-hours.

if u are doing a dungeon because MSQ u are on the priority queue , so even as dps u will be put first, the issue is when u have 300 dps doing the MSQ for the first time too , but is rare , everytime i queued for a dungeon that was a req for MSQ i was inside before 10min sometimes even instantly (as DPS)
    Avarix
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited May 2017
    If they remove the dungeon requirement for the Main storyline (or make it solo) i'd be all over this game again. I wont re-subscribe and waste the whole month in queue for Garuda because nobody is playing it (can't progress the story without killing those bosses).

Change that failure of a system and i'll come back. I will not skip story either. I play RPGs for the story and FF is an RPG.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    If they remove the dungeon requirement for the Main storyline (or make it solo) i'd be all over this game again. I wont re-subscribe and waste the whole month in queue for Garuda because nobody is playing it (can't progress the story without killing those bosses).

Change that failure of a system and i'll come back. I will not skip story either. I play RPGs for the story and FF is an RPG.
    I actually got stuck on Garuda for a long time as well. Titan was another where after a long wait I would finally zone in and half the group would say 'Nope!' and leave immediately. I think besides those two the last one I ended up having that issue with was Moogle Mog. It's a shame. So many people say they want a challenge but when presented with it they bail.

All I can say in it's defense is it's worth those frustrations, at least it was for me.
    infomatz
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    I leveled my first character as a Ninja, I had a 2hr 30m Chrysalis queue. My recommendation, don't start as a dps class, it's pure agony in terms of queue times. Honestly a better solution would be to allow us to use our squads as npc party members to fill roles as needed. But that would require a bit of work, and that's probably not going to happen, at least not for old content.

That being said I enjoy the game, DRK fills the desired APM I was looking for, plus instant queues.
  • dtan27dtan27 Member UncommonPosts: 32
    I'm probably in the minority here, but my biggest turnoff is how most encounters eventually boil down to a DPS race. If you can push out enough DPS it makes the encounter much easier. Which brings me to my second biggest gripe, this notion that in order to succeed well your healers and tanks MUST DPS, if I wanted to DPS I would play a DPS class.
    AvarixMrMelGibson
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    This whole "stuck on blah" and "wait in queue" have to be people that didn't play the game long. I recently returned and my PFs for the story mode dungeons and trials have taken maybe 10 minutes to fill up and all the ARR stuff you can do it unsyced. Google and learn stuff, people; the internet is for more than just lazy complaints.
    KalebGrayson[Deleted User]sweetangel20Agnhar

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• MetroboMetrobo Member UncommonPosts: 31
    edited May 2017
    Removing dungeons from the MSQ would kill the game for me. They are part of the story, whats the point of having a dungeon if it doesn't have a reason to be? FFXIV has always been about the story, and granted i will say that for "new players" to go through all of FFXIV to catch up to stormblood would take long so a story skip is nice for them, and the people that are just there to play for the fuck of it. Its optional and thats good now.
    And as far as a grind, thats practically non-existent now. PotD gives you two things to work towards at once, leveling and the weapon. Easy peasy.

My only gripe is you stopped at level 40, which in ARR was 10 levels away from max...just 10. You made it through to 40 but the last 10 levels needed to 50 killed that. Now if you picked it up during heavensward i understand, thats 20 more levels. 50-60 has been long but still not grindy because there is so much to do and work on. People to hang with and new players to help out, crafting if that is your thing. There is also collecting minions, triple triad, mount collecting if you are extreme. If you are into fashion and want to please that inner fashionista, you can hunt out items or craft your perfect look and dye it. Chocobo raising, racing, breeding. There is literally so much to do if you do not want to grind all the time. That does leave it to be said if any of those are things you aren't interested in, or just not into them at all then at the end of the Stormblood after you get through all the MSQ you'll be back in the same place of not having anything to do.

Its like if leveling is a job, like actually feeling like work then you gotta find a hobby in game to relax and chill from the all the grind. Having an active FC helps or good friends who are looking to progress because maybe, just maybe it will spark an idea of something you might want to do.

I have an FC member who has been fashioning up all his classes because it expresses himself well. Like each time he changes classes, they are not looking like their normal class armor.

Thats just my take, if you feel like Stormblood is gonna fix certain things for you, i think looking at the bigger overall picture of the game is something that needs to be done. Because if you think at the end of Stormblood all of that is not going to still be there, that same endgame then you might find yourself wrong. It will fix things for a while till that point but then you'll be back where you are.

Find your fun in the game, don't wait for the game to present you with "fun" because everyones idea of fun differs.

I hope you all have fun in Stormblood and before Stormblood, i know i am. Only have 3 more classes i like to play to get to 60. and they are at 50 except Dark Knight thats 45 but i'm getting there.

My classes: MCH- 60, Nin -60 , LNC - 50, Drk -45, MNK -52

I am looking forward to the new role action stuff, i don't have level the other classes to get the tank skills i need. Dark Knight is the only tank class i like.

Long post, sorry just had a lot to say. Let me know how ya feel.
    [Deleted User]
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    I rerolled a brand new toon 2 months ago.  Leveled a Ninja first because it's a friggin Ninja!!!  Then leveled a Dragoon because their armor looks amazing.  My que times as a dps never exceeded 20 mins for any dungeon.  I'm on Behemoth.  Seriously guys, if you're looking for a good game this is the place.  
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

mcrippins said:

Gets a lot better later on with gear that has skill speed bonus that reduced the GDC quite a bit.
    mcrippins
  • AberiusAberius Member UncommonPosts: 37
    I don't even want to talk about the content of the article or the game... I just want to say that Michael Bitton is my hero for correctly saying that something PIQUED his interest. Drives me crazy when people say something "peaks their interest". arglarglarglargl >.<
    MikeB
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

mcrippins said:

Albatroes said:

...I do love some of the community's response as to why it wouldn't work such as "It would make people not understand the story" or "That's great for games like WoW, but FFXIV is a heavily story focused game" like WoW isn't???? WoW has 1203910293 more lore than FFXIV but it doesn't forced it down your throat and honestly has more attention to detail like it being heavily voice acted. FFXIV's story is great at parts if you actually read it, but the 25% voice acting just shows they dont care as much about the story as people think they do. Even the story boss voices (very few) are poorly done audio wise as opposed to WoW which are both triple A games.

1. I think FFXIV has MORE lore. First Release: Warcraft: Orcs & Humans: November 23, 1994 vs. First Release: Final Fantasy: December 18, 1987.

2. The Final Fantasy Story is just so much better than WoW. I mean seriously, Legion...nuff said.

If you like whiny sexually frustrated teenagers who look like they crashed their car into the nearest Hot Topic, sure Final Fantasy lore is better. 
    DistopiaAgnhar
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    As displayed here in these comments, the FFXIV community is just absurdly stubborn. I enjoy the group content of the game, I don't give a crap about your story. That is MY preference. I am with the author, the game makes you do too much boring crap to progress. Glad they are offering mechanics to skip it and get to what I want to play, not what other players THINK I should play. Get over yourselves.
    KalebGrayson
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

mcrippins said:

Albatroes said:

If you like whiny sexually frustrated teenagers who look like they crashed their car into the nearest Hot Topic, sure Final Fantasy lore is better. 
    Lol, somebody struck a nerve. :p I have to say though yeah over all story and lore wise FF wins hands down. Sure some of the more modern ones had some emo characters but other than that some of the stories and character were bad ass.
    I preferred the simple storytelling of the early games like FFIII. I think taking the franchise as a whole, I'd agree with you, but I haven't been able to stand the storylines of the more recent games. I think the last Final Fantasy story I enjoyed was FFXII.

The Witcher series sort of ruined me coming from being a very avid JRPG fan when it comes to what an RPG storyline could be. 

I like the story in FFXIV conceptually, but the delivery is pretty disappointing throughout a large portion of it. I ended up watching it on Youtube because it was more cohesive. 
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

mcrippins said:

Albatroes said:

Lol, somebody struck a nerve. :p I have to say though yeah over all story and lore wise FF wins hands down. Sure some of the more modern ones had some emo characters but other than that some of the stories and character were bad ass.
    I preferred the simple storytelling of the early games like FFIII. I think taking the franchise as a whole, I'd agree with you, but I haven't been able to stand the storylines of the more recent games. I think the last Final Fantasy story I enjoyed was FFXII.

The Witcher series sort of ruined me coming from being a very avid JRPG fan when it comes to what an RPG storyline could be. 

I like the story in FFXIV conceptually, but the delivery is pretty disappointing throughout a large portion of it. I ended up watching it on Youtube because it was more cohesive. 
    ARR's story line was ok but the delivery and the fetch quests (aka titan banquette) were over the top and grindy. However they really did do a way better job in Heavensward. The story itself was a lot better plus got rid of the ton of fetch it quests. Also the fact that there was a lot more voice acting added and better voice acting at that. SE said they would refine this even more for Stormblood.
    Yeah, with the Jump Potions, I'm coming back and playing HW and eventually Stormblood. I just can't grind through ARR.
    [Deleted User]MikeBmonochrome19Viper482

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    THis MMO was not love at first sight for me...While the game is pretty enough, I didnt like the way it forced you to follow the quest path and even blocked you from entering other areas....Way too quest driven and restrictive for my tastes.
    pantarobeebop500
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Two things made FFXIV unenjoyable to me:

1) The dungeon requirements, especially the need to repeat the same dungeons over and over on a constant basis.

2) The way the main quest made you run all over hell's half acre like a do-boy.
    pantarobeebop500