Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Artifact Knowledge Cap Lowered & Community's Mixed Reaction - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageArtifact Knowledge Cap Lowered & Community's Mixed Reaction - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

World of Warcraft News - The World of Warcraft team has posted news about a rather large "hotfix" being applied to the game today in North America and tomorrow in Europe. The hotfix involves the reduction of the Artifact Knowledge cap from 50 to 40.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Can they just announce the next expansion already so this meaningless system can be done with?
    Ozmodan
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited May 2017
    Albatroes said:
    Can they just announce the next expansion already so this meaningless system can be done with?
    If only. The fact that even more grind on top of egregious RNG is being added is just mind-boggling.
    AlbatroesOzmodan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

DMKano said:

SBFord said:

Albatroes said:

If only. The fact that even more grind on top of egregious RNG is being added is just mind-boggling.

RNG and grind are the heart and soul of all time MMORPGs ;)

Fixed it for you..

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

SBFord said:

Albatroes said:

I actually liked Asmongold's idea to counter the rng to a degree in pve which is similar to how they did with pvp. He was suggesting that blizzard allowed players to obliterate unwanted raid gear and use whatever "currency" (similar to the pvp stuff you get from obliterating pvp gear) and use it to boost the ilvl/version while also having caps per raid version to make each raid version feel useful. Pretty much meaning that each raid version (normal/heroic/mythic) would have a base that could not be exceeded into the next version due to excessive rng, but you can also obliterate undesired gear to boost stuff of the same version. For example, you may get a regular trinket that could potentially be BoS but its a lower version. So the theory is to be able to obliterate other gear you do not want and use that currency to boost the version of the trinket you liked to warforged/titanforged etc.

He explained it a lot better but in the video he talked about it, it was pretty long covering a bunch of other things too, but I'll link it anyway:

As for the legendary system, one word....garbage.
    SBFordBeezerbeezTheely
  • TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    They spend so much time messing around with irrelevant things.

They never stick by their designs and systems.
    They seem to believe that people are fond of RNG. Maybe they look towards gambling sites and decide that WoWs whole player base are the same crowd?

I cant quite understand how in this time an age with all hell breaking lose in the RL world all over the place, how, how a billion dollar company can get the idea that people who have played their game steadily for a decade or more, would in any way be another crowd, than the common person, that desire safety and predictability in their choices, whether it be in life or in game.

And yes I understand some gamblers play WoW too, but cant Blizzard try and find their common nominator as the foundation for their player base among people of the more average kind.

People dont want to rely on RNG, people want to be in control of their own fate and actions.
    Is it really so hard to understand.

And this whole teenage tantrum they are throwing at their player base, always going in the opposite direction, using the "our way or the highway" and pulling everything into reverse when the players are not quietly fitting into their designs.
    Its getting really boring and wearing down on peoples patience.

And yes I understand some people are content, the raiders in particular. Except all those who complain about the Warforge and Titanforge shit.

But this game used to be for a broader audience than just raiders. Guess we can piss off now, which we'll then do.

Blizz used to be so great. I for one have never predicted they would turn into such a discount company, grasping for money at every turn without giving anything worthwhile in return.

They are genius at making money and they can make quality content if they want, they just decide to spend tons of man hours fiddling with crap.
    Bunch of timewasters.
    metareal
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190

TENTING said:

They seem to believe that people are fond of RNG. Maybe they look towards gambling sites and decide that WoWs whole player base are the same crowd?

Blizzard has Activision backing and WoW money - that is it. Look at the exodus of all their vet developers; people who have been there for 20+ years! They are not the well polished, well oiled machine like they were. They have the same style, no imagination, and rarely take risks like they did to make themselves big. You can predict any move they make. They are the Apple of the video game world. Games look great, can play great, has zombie like fan base, but they are overpriced and just take everyone else's ideas and claim them as their own.

I was a HUUUGE fan boy til Diablo 3 - The release of that game showed their true colors...

They have people who love games that work there no doubt - but their games are made for you to waste the most amount of sub time on "features" or gamble with loot boxes. A fun solid game that makes money is not the product they want - they just want to find a way to milk their fans as best as possible.
    metareal
  • TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Phixion13 said:

TENTING said:

Blizzard has Activision backing and WoW money - that is it. Look at the exodus of all their vet developers; people who have been there for 20+ years! They are not the well polished, well oiled machine like they were. They have the same style, no imagination, and rarely take risks like they did to make themselves big. You can predict any move they make. They are the Apple of the video game world. Games look great, can play great, has zombie like fan base, but they are overpriced and just take everyone else's ideas and claim them as their own.

I was a HUUUGE fan boy til Diablo 3 - The release of that game showed their true colors...

They have people who love games that work there no doubt - but their games are made for you to waste the most amount of sub time on "features" or gamble with loot boxes. A fun solid game that makes money is not the product they want - they just want to find a way to milk their fans as best as possible.

I agree.

One thing Id like to add though is, that Blizzard have always checked out other MMOS, this is true, but I have never minded.
    Their creation and succes is after all a result of using inspiration to their benefit. Most artists do that, the inspiration and building upon it, broadening it, it has worked really well for Blizz also.

In fact I have always been thrilled to see how Blizz would pick something nice from another game, then make it even better and then add it to WoW.

Or so that was how it used to be.

Now they pick things, do a casual drawing of an idea and toss it watered down into the game.

So it went from using inspiration from other games in a good way and on to: "We cant really be bothered, we'll toss something in a pot and throw it out there, the fans will eat what ever gets served anyway".

But the rest you write is taken right from my mind. They charge more for less and they have no shame either.

The whole lets watch the servers die out and let people pay to migrate to the few living servers, really?

What kind of cynical way is that to treat people, who will walk on fire to defend their brand and have done so for years?

metareal
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Can't wait for the next expansion because I honestly love wow but in its current state it's just awful.
    As people said - what's there to be done if you aren't a raider... nothing.
    Pvp used to be good but now... dear lord.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I don't think they could have borked this expansion any more then they have.  I play Eve and I have no problem with the complexity, Wow on the other hand is constantly changing so many things if you are gone a month or two you will have a hard time understanding the game.
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    They put all this horrible RNG in place because the game as it is today pretty much has zero difficulty and very little longevity to it.

Every piece of content now is accessible to everyone on their preferred difficulty, with the easiest difficulty being mind numbingly easy, and this is the path most people take now.

They needed a way to stretch out their content, because the bulk of their casual player base is just blowing through the content faster than they ever have before. Hence the reason for Artifact weapons and the horrible RNG gearing systems. In the past slow leveling,  slower gearing, lack of the LFD and LFR, and reliance on the community of your server to see end game raids made the game have much more longevity to it. 

The game as it is today just flat out sucks, the barrier to entry is so low now coupled with the anonymous grouping tools pretty much made WoW into a easy lobby game, that really doesn't lend itself to a traditional sub MMO. The developers literally can't keep up with the pace at which players are devouring this easy content. In my opinion, stripping away a lot of the MMO aspects of the game has only made this issue worse. 

They need to go back to their roots of slower player progression, tougher world content, and having their raids be exclusive to organized groups only, as well as getting rid of some of those raid modes. I never understood why a modern MMO needs four versions of the same raid, that is just flat out BORING! 

• mike32927mike32927 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Basically all that's left in this xpac is raiding, and the RNG system for raiding sucks big time. Not one piece of usable gear in my past two Night Hold raids, let alone a tier piece, and that includes bonus rolls. Yes, I wasted hours and hours of time, thousands of gold for food, flasks, repairs, etc., and didn't receive one upgrade, isn't that fun Blizz ?
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    edited May 2017
    The Artifact, Artifact Knowledge and Artifact Power turn players into junkies, Artifact Power repetitive gain is like a narcotic being given to the cold turkey player by a drug dealer. I'm out and have looked at other games like EVE Online and played in my pew pew spaceships for a while. It's sad to see how WoW has turned out.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    edited May 2017

nyxium said:

The Artifact, Artifact Knowledge and Artifact Power turn players into junkies, Artifact Power repetitive gain is like a narcotic being given to the cold turkey player by a drug dealer. I'm out and have looked at other games like EVE Online and played in my pew pew spaceships for a while. It's sad to see how WoW has turned out.

That has always been the case with wow.

I have had RL friendships in other MMOs turn bad after jumping ship tot wow because the other side got addicted to the Purple Craze to the point I actually had to fire some of them at the offices because they didn't even show up for work anymore, calling themselves in sick and play the game instead.

And others ruining their marriages because they have to please their guild leader by playing/preparing for- raids from 6pm-midnight daily after coming home from work at 5:30pm so they could get a purple item they wanted so badly. Maybe. They kicked me from a 10y old community & guild because I refused to do the lvl 60 endgame craze daily and preferred (world) pvp instead.

Seen that happen a LOT of times.

It's not a good game, but they streamlined it very well so that ppl got addicted to pve endgame.
    Go talk to any wow player and count the seconds till they mention the R**ding word. 1-3s TOPS.

That was already in Vanilla. Go figure.
    metareal

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"