Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What exactly is v3.0?

Comments

• AonevmAonevm Member UncommonPosts: 26
    just give it a shot during the next FreeFly event, it's still in alpha and yeah overly optimistic timelines but she's getting there  :smile:
    Erillion
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Risc1911 said:
    I am not interested in your personal attacks or generalizations of people has being "haters"
    Neither do i approve of your vilification of everyone that does not agree with you and i will therefor cordially invite you to my ignore list.

I appreciate your candor.
    Dejavu indeed, this reminds me of months ago when a guy who registered on MMORPG with this very same narrative...

What happened next was one site admin finding the user was ban evading and his account I think got directly deleted.

This just happened so often that it's hard to tell who is a legitimate new user, and who just register on this website to instigate drama on the Star Citizen game forum... =/
    Erillion
  • Risc1911Risc1911 Member Posts: 78
    Aonevm said:
    just give it a shot during the next FreeFly event, it's still in alpha and yeah overly optimistic timelines but she's getting there  :smile:
    Thanks, i will either wait for 3.0 or a free fly weekend. Whichever comes first. I agree, overly optimistic is pretty accurate.
    “I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.” ― Stanisław Lem

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer,
    the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" ― Derek's Law
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Risc1911 said:
    Aonevm said:
    Thanks, i will either wait for 3.0 or a free fly weekend. Whichever comes first. I agree, overly optimistic is pretty accurate.
    Make sure you have a fast internet connection cause if they push minor patches then you have to redownload the entire game client unless they've actually figured out how to implement a proper patcher after however many years
    MaxBacon
    Aonevm said:
    The next free fly seeing how often they do them is likely going to be before 3.0 is live.

I wouldn't think they will do a free fly right after releasing 3.0, but sometime after sure.

Kefo said:
    Risc1911 said:
    Aonevm said:
    Make sure you have a fast internet connection cause if they push minor patches then you have to redownload the entire game client unless they've actually figured out how to implement a proper patcher after however many years
    Wait, what? You have to download the full game every time? Does Lumberyard not come with an incremental Patcher? Holy crap, this is worse than i thought.

You have to be joking.
    MaxBacon
    “I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.” ― Stanisław Lem

the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" ― Derek's Law
    Risc1911 said:
    Kefo said:
    Risc1911 said:
    Aonevm said:
    Wait, what? You have to download the full game every time? Does Lumberyard not come with an incremental Patcher? Holy crap, this is worse than i thought.

You have to be joking.
    I haven't heard anything different since they "switched" to lumberyard so I assume they still haven't figured out how to code a patcher
    Octagon7711MaxBacon
    edited May 2017
    Kefo said:
    I haven't heard anything different since they "switched" to lumberyard so I assume they still haven't figured out how to code a patcher
    Turbulent is working on delta patching now, as they do are building the new launcher, that is part of spectrum's desktop app, nothing to do with lumberyard (it doesn't have that feature either, same as Cryengine)

Last month's turbulent update on it, it's said to still be months away, it's not part of 3.0, neither is the new launcher (spectrum).
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2017
    Risc1911 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Ah you are just a troll!

Bienvenue à ma Ignorer la liste
    Doesn't worry me in the slightest. Must be a big list!

You started a thread:

"So i decided to check up on StarCitizen because i heard a lot of talk about the game changing version update (v3.0) coming. I googled some info and found a lot of contradicting information. 
    Read more at http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/464365/what-exactly-is-v3-0#7mT6xs2424zxYqKS.99"

I am so confus.....ed.

And people - not just me - took the time to explain stuff. 

You either want info or you don't and are just trolling the game. Doesn't worry me in the slightest.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    edited May 2017
    He, he. Hard to believe that it is closing in on two years since they first promised 3.0 before x-mas. Luckily they didn't really say xmas what year, giving the white knight brigade way to defend CIG for not breaking any promises ever.

OK, that is a lie, but whatever... Truth seems to be overrated these days.
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    Turbulent is working on delta patching now, as they do are building the new launcher, that is part of spectrum's desktop app, nothing to do with lumberyard (it doesn't have that feature either, same as Cryengine)

Last month's turbulent update on it, it's said to still be months away, it's not part of 3.0, neither is the new launcher (spectrum).
    Haven't they been working on it for over a year now? I'm no programmer but is it really that difficult to program a patcher?
    edited May 2017
    hfztt said:
    He, he. Hard to believe that it is closing in on two years since they first promised 3.0 before x-mas. Luckily they didn't really say xmas what year, giving the white knight brigade way to defend CIG for not breaking any promises ever.
    2 years in your imagination, that was Aug'16, 3 months to complete 1 year, and likely released by then, seeing how the production updates are playing out.

gervaise1 said:

You either want info or you don't and are just trolling the game. Doesn't worry me in the slightest.

Yeah but we can't ever mention that, otherwise we are the "evil ones" when it comes to calling out this sort of BS.
    Kefo said:
    Haven't they been working on it for over a year now? I'm no programmer but is it really that difficult to program a patcher?
    Depends on factors, how many people working on it, how much time is put on it, and what priorities are taking over it. There was a large discussion on this here.

Seeing on that very same update they talk about implementing the stuff being done in Frankfurt, then this comes from the engine team, so no surprise if things are taking priority over it all the time.
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

It's actually pretty simple and any programmer should be able to write a simple parity based patcher in less than a day. There are of cause more complicated approaches but they are not needed in game development.

I have written patchers myself for big client/server applications (pretty much the same as a game).

A parity patcher works like a raid array. A certain amount of data can be restored based on the size of your parity data. You create a new parity set on your patched version, send the parity files to the client, which will then automatically patch the changes. The biggest advantage of this method is that it is version agnostic, meaning a client that is v1.1 and one that is v1.3 can both be updated to v1.5 with the exact same patch file.

Binary diff patchers are more efficient in terms of size and speed but they are also not version agnostic however just as easy to implement.

I am really puzzled by this. It's so basic, an IT student fresh out of university could write this in a couple days. A professional developer should have no issue doing it in a couple of hours.
    ScotchUpkikoodutroa8

Risc1911 said:
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

It's actually pretty simple and any programmer should be able to write a simple parity based patcher in less than a day. There are of cause more complicated approaches but they are not needed in game development.

I have written patchers myself for big client/server applications (pretty much the same as a game).

A parity patcher works like a raid array. A certain amount of data can be restored based on the size of your parity data. You create a new parity set on your patched version, send the parity files to the client, which will then automatically patch the changes. The biggest advantage of this method is that it is version agnostic, meaning a client that is v1.1 and one that is v1.3 can both be updated to v1.5 with the exact same patch file.

Binary diff patchers are more efficient in terms of size and speed but they are also not version agnostic however just as easy to implement.

I am really puzzled by this. It's so basic, an IT student fresh out of university could write this in a couple days. A professional developer should have no issue doing it in a couple of hours.
    Nothing is ever easy with CIG. 
    ScotchUp
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    Depends on factors, how many people working on it, how much time is put on it, and what priorities are taking over it. There was a large discussion on this here.

Seeing on that very same update they talk about implementing the stuff being done in Frankfurt, then this comes from the engine team, so no surprise if things are taking priority over it all the time.
    Thanks for the read but it seems like more guessing at what the issues are then any actual concrete evidence. For an open dev game something like this you would think should have a bright spotlight on it
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    There is no issue with the patcher, game is in development, if CIG feels the patcher is not a priority then it's not a priority. If you have internet cap you shouldn't even be downloading betas much less alphas lol
    Odeezee
    edited May 2017
    Kefo said:
    Thanks for the read but it seems like more guessing at what the issues are then any actual concrete evidence. For an open dev game something like this you would think should have a bright spotlight on it
    There's nothing to spotlight, this is backend stuff, not shiny assets to showcase. In one of the past months ATV there was on in-depth talk about what is the status and what they are doing.

If this was as easy as some say, they would have done it by now, and here's why:
    • If it was that easy, no way the engineers that created CryEngine in the first place wouldn't have the ability to have done it by now.
    • If it was that easy, no way  CIG would be willing to go through the downsides of having to release multiple builds of the game forcing all 4 studios to download the entire game multiple times a day.
    • If it was that easy, no way they would be willing to pay millions to amazon in bandwidth costs from the size and amount of people downloading game builds.

That's how I see it, it's just something they are working on that is on their case, not as easy as some are interpreting and it might be taken over by other priorities (especially if requires engine engineers attention), or might be a daunting process until it's ready to use the new process. When it's done it's done. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    There's nothing to spotlight, this is backend stuff, not shiny assets to showcase. In one of the past months ATV there was on in-depth talk about what is the status and what they are doing.

If this was as easy as some say, they would have done it by now, and here's why:
    • If it was that easy, no way the engineers that created CryEngine in the first place wouldn't have the ability to have done it by now.
    • If it was that easy, no way  CIG would be willing to go through the downsides of having to release multiple builds of the game forcing all 4 studios to download the entire game multiple times a day.
    • If it was that easy, no way they would be willing to pay millions to amazon in bandwidth costs from the size and amount of people downloading game builds.

That's how I see it, it's just something they are working on that is on their case, not as easy as some are interpreting and it might be taken over by other priorities (especially if requires engine engineers attention), or might be a daunting process until it's ready to use the new process. When it's done it's done. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    If this is open development then shouldn't the back end stuff also be showcased off? Why is only the pretty and shiny shown off? open development is open, not only selectively open.

If they are paying millions to Amazon due to bandwidth costs then perhaps it should take a priority unless they enjoy wasting backer money but that's just my 2 cents.
    OdeezeeScotchUpRisc1911
  • AonevmAonevm Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited May 2017
    on the patcher:

it's not the patcher itself but the way engine was made long ago that the 2gb pak files have to be replaced in whole when patching. and since most patches are many little files inside the many pak's it usually needs to overwrite close to whole game sadly.
    ErillionOdeezee
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:

If this is open development then shouldn't the back end stuff also be showcased off? Why is only the pretty and shiny shown off? open development is open, not only selectively open.

If they are paying millions to Amazon due to bandwidth costs then perhaps it should take a priority unless they enjoy wasting backer money but that's just my 2 cents.
    It did seem strange for the Devs to mention there is a list of things they can't talk about in a game that has open development.  Probably saving it for the convention to hype it up.
    Odeezee

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited May 2017
    Kefo said:
    They can't showcase something that is not yet working... Especially a backend piece of tech. The progress and explanation on what they are doing and its status is clearly being done.

This month we worked on the new Delta patcher as you guys have called it and so we are responsible for building the actual application that hosts the patching libraries and so we’ve done a bunch of progress this month in getting this new application setup. It’s using a whole new application stack you guys might be familiar with, it’s called Electron Shell, we’re also using React and Redux like we do for Spectrum within this new application and so we’ve worked on our native bindings to get the patching libraries that the Frankfurt guys are working on. So we’re currently able to patch the game data with this new launcher. It’s also used internally so we’re really excited about this project, it’s going to bring a lot more dynamism in how we release patches and so we’re really excited to get this moving and integrate it into this new app and hopefully we’ll be able to release that to you guys in the next coming months.
    (last month's update)
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    They can't showcase something that is not yet working... Especially a backend piece of tech. The progress and explanation on what they are doing and its status is clearly being done.

As this is part of the new launcher, they will show it off once Turbulent reaches that point.
    This month we worked on the new Delta patcher as you guys have called it and so we are responsible for building the actual application that hosts the patching libraries and so we’ve done a bunch of progress this month in getting this new application setup. It’s using a whole new application stack you guys might be familiar with, it’s called Electron Shell, we’re also using React and Redux like we do for Spectrum within this new application and so we’ve worked on our native bindings to get the patching libraries that the Frankfurt guys are working on. So we’re currently able to patch the game data with this new launcher. It’s also used internally so we’re really excited about this project, it’s going to bring a lot more dynamism in how we release patches and so we’re really excited to get this moving and integrate it into this new app and hopefully we’ll be able to release that to you guys in the next coming months.
    (last month's update)
    Isn't that what a concept demo is?  A showcase of what's not working?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Moxom914Moxom914 Member RarePosts: 731
    Risc1911 said:
    So i decided to check up on StarCitizen because i heard a lot of talk about the game changing version update (v3.0) coming. I googled some info and found a lot of contradicting information. 

There is info from last year saying that there will be Plantes to land on jobs like miner and trader and it will release in December but current version is 2.6.3. I did some more research and found that on the website they have development plans. But there is now talk about Moons, are they adding Moons for the Planets? Are they adding Moons without Planets (because that would be a little silly, what do they orbit LOL!)

I am also missing information about jobs, like miner and trader. Maybe i overlooked it. In any case. Can someone give me a quick overview what is going to be in this 3.0 update because i am thinking about joining if there is content like exploration, mining and trading.

Thanks.

EDIT: Spelling
    the one change you wont see, is playing the actual game. maybe that will be version 9.4.
    Isn't that what a concept demo is?  A showcase of what's not working?
    Tech demo is what that is known for. Yet again, how are they supposed to showcase delta patching? The launcher is being built so there's nothing visual to showcase.

This is like asking them to showcase the network serialization or something similar, just ain't happening.

Perhaps a flowchart? O.o