Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to identify dubious Kickstarters, EarlyAccess and Crowd funded Projects.

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    SEANMCAD said:
    Risc1911 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    For people who are currently displeased with the games (MMO and other) that have been coming out today and also unwilling to try early access games I really feel empathy because it really could solve your woes by trying early access with an open mind.

But my gut tells me those people just complain about everything regardless
    Can't really blame them when early access games stay unfinished forever and sometimes even shadier things happen, like a polished commercial version is released or the original creator gets bored and leaves (looking at you Day Z and ARK)
    no I ABSOLUTELY DO blame them.

I keep saying this and its worth repeating, the quality of a game has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with its release status. 
    I can create a game with a large red button and all you do is hit and it says 'your a winner' and call it done. That doesnt make my game better than Ark because its 'done'
    At least you finished what you started.
    --------------------------------------------
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    SEANMCAD said:
    Risc1911 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    For people who are currently displeased with the games (MMO and other) that have been coming out today and also unwilling to try early access games I really feel empathy because it really could solve your woes by trying early access with an open mind.

Can't really blame them when early access games stay unfinished forever and sometimes even shadier things happen, like a polished commercial version is released or the original creator gets bored and leaves (looking at you Day Z and ARK)

I keep saying this and its worth repeating, the quality of a game has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with its release status. 
    I can create a game with a large red button and all you do is hit and it says 'your a winner' and call it done. That doesnt make my game better than Ark because its 'done'
    seriously?

no that is NOT a good thing given my example...not good at all in any shape or form

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The very mention of crowd funding/KS is enough to send up a red flag.

They take ZERO responsibility for their product,how can that be construed as anything but non legit?
    If a team is industry vets and supposedly can make a great game,they can most certainly secure their OWN funding with REAL investors where they have to answer to people and be responsible for everything including where the money goes.

"release date" They have got around that with he idea of "stretch goals".They can claim they WOULD have got a game out but the fans wants more so it will be delayed and usually for a VERY long time lol.

As long as money keeps coming in,there is zero incentive to FINISH a game,after all that is the purpose of these BUSINESSES "to make money".Only when money stops or begins to trickle down then they move to the next marketing approach...BETA testing "pay money to be insured a part in the test".Then the official RELEASE party,pay early to get an early start and run off ads on every big name website to promote their game,even though it has already been in the media for 3/4/5/6 years.Example SC already into year 5+,hard to believe ,even i forgot how long it has been.
    Octagon7711Rawyn

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Risc1911 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

seriously?

no that is NOT a good thing given my example...not good at all in any shape or form
    Does it do what was advertised to do, and is it finished, so yes its a good example, personally i would rather buy a finished game than one which is still in early access, because yes a finished game can be considered to be better than an unfinished one, and just because its 'simple' doesn't mean it can't be popular, take fidget spinners for example. :p
    YashaX
    Phry said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Risc1911 said:
    SEANMCAD said:

seriously?

Does it do what was advertised to do, and is it finished, so yes its a good example, personally i would rather buy a finished game than one which is still in early access, because yes a finished game can be considered to be better than an unfinished one, and just because its 'simple' doesn't mean it can't be popular, take fidget spinners for example. :p
    no its not important.

this insane obbession with daddy promises is silly.

Is the game fun? if yes continue else dont buy

DONE...no execptions, alterations, additions and otherwise. That is the single most important part of the game and I am telling you guys you are missing out of the best gaming experiences EVER in the history of gaming because your hyper sensitive on what the developer says or does not say

• Risc1911Risc1911 Member Posts: 78
    edited May 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    no its not important.

DONE...no execptions, alterations, additions and otherwise. That is the single most important part of the game and I am telling you guys you are missing out of the best gaming experiences EVER in the history of gaming because your hyper sensitive on what the developer says or does not say

Or the other option is that we save money to spend on real games that are finished, polished and fun. I take that over just fun any day!
    YashaX
    “I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.” ― Stanisław Lem

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer,
    the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" ― Derek's Law
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited May 2017
    Risc1911 said:

Do you have anything yo add to the list? Let me know in the comments.
    I don't have to even go through that entire list to know.

Every game I've backed thus far has been released.

with the exception of Camelot Unchained still in development.

Seems pretty simple, who is doing it, how much do they show and does the amount of money, given past projects, that they are asking seem reasonable.

Are they unknowns but they show a lot? Then that to me is a good bet that they can do it. Are they world famous but show nothing? Then I don't give them a dime.

I should amend that: If they are known developers, show very little but have a "kickstarter history" in releasing games then I'll give them money.

[Deleted User]Gaendric
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited May 2017
    Risc1911 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    no its not important.

Or the other option is that we safe money to spend on real games that are finished, polished and fun. I take that over just fun any day!
    but that is the thing you are missing out on here.

THEY ARENT FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

these unfinished games are:

MORE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

feature for feature, game play to game play these games that are in early accces are MORE FUN than those that are not. So when I read stuff like people are suggesting here it reads to me that its being suggested that I should STOP PLAYING a fun game and instead START PLAYING and UNFUN game.

put down 7dtd and stop playing it and instead play archeage....

no fucking way in hell

YashaX

SEANMCAD said:
    Risc1911 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    no its not important.

Or the other option is that we safe money to spend on real games that are finished, polished and fun. I take that over just fun any day!

feature for feature, game play to game play these games that are in early accces are MORE FUN than those that are not. So when I read stuff like people are suggesting here it reads to me that its being suggested that I should STOP PLAYING a fun game and instead START PLAYING and UNFUN game.

You can stab yourself in the head with a fork all day if that is your definition of fun. No contention here, just don't assume others find that fun or try to convince them it is fun.
    YashaX
    “I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.” ― Stanisław Lem

the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" ― Derek's Law
    edited May 2017
    Risc1911 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Risc1911 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    no its not important.

You can stab yourself in the head with a fork all day if that is your definition of fun. No contention here, just don't assume others find that fun or try to convince them it is fun.
    and what exactly is my definition of fun?
    Compelling game play

Whats people definition of fun around here?
    'completed games'

I am currently playing My Summer Car which is made by one person, the controls are terrible, its glitchy and often buggy but the game experience itself as in you know that part of the game where what you do in the actual game as a game character? you know that part we all forget out because we are busy looking for bugs? yeah...that part is very compelling and enjoyable.
    Archage (which I played) was not compelling game play ..ever...anywhere

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

SEANMCAD said:
    Risc1911 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Risc1911 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    no its not important.

Compelling game play

'completed games'

I am currently playing My Summer Car which is made by one person, the controls are terrible, its glitchy and often buggy but the game experience itself as in you know that part of the game where what you do in the actual game as a game character? you know that part we all forget out because we are busy looking for bugs? yeah...that part is very compelling and enjoyable.
    So do you stop playing a game once it fully releases?
    not intentionally no, but in the case of KSP I did because I had already played it enough.

again, not sure what that random point has to do with what I am saying here.
    I am saying the gaming experience comes first regardless of its release status

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Have to agree with @SEANMCAD . The little guys get stepped on hard in these conversations. I would understand if some megacorp studio was holding a fundraiser (Why the hell would they need to fundraise?) but the little guys that would never get the chance otherwise have a chance to get funded and published because of fundraising such as kickstarter. 

Not every game is a gem, but that little guy would sure appreciate your money for his hard work and hopes of making a living for the months and years of time and effort they put into it. 

Don't bash the method, it's just silly man. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. Would you enjoy the flack from threads like this? 
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerusYashaX

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    edited May 2017
    Have to agree with @SEANMCAD . The little guys get stepped on hard in these conversations. I would understand if some megacorp studio was holding a fundraiser (Why the hell would they need to fundraise?) but the little guys that would never get the chance otherwise have a chance to get funded and published because of fundraising such as kickstarter. 

Not every game is a gem, but that little guy would sure appreciate your money for his hard work and hopes of making a living for the months and years of time and effort they put into it. 

Don't bash the method, it's just silly man. Put yourself in their shoes for a moment. Would you enjoy the flack from threads like this? 
    I agree general bashing is unwarranted.
    A project can easily avoid me bashing them, by not running a KS campaign only based on some grand out of scope ideas and a landscape demo an 8 year old who just downloaded UE or Unity could make in a day. Yeah it looks very pretty, but there is absolutely 0 own skill or effort included. Unless we count pressing download buttons as skill.

That applies to the small guys just the same. 
    If someone truly has a dream, he is surely motivated enough to invest some time&effort in order to show us he can do it, before asking for money.
    Showing passion and willingness to go through the inevitable grind is the best way convince me to support that dream and the person behind it.

That's my rule anyway.
    If someone shows skill&effort from the getgo.
    Because that sets the tone for the rest of the dev cycle.

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    edited May 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Risc1911 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Risc1911 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    no its not important.

Compelling game play

'completed games'

I think the thing that gets you into so many contentious arguments here is that you think that your personal opinion is some kind of objective, universal fact. It is not. 

Every gamer on this forum has a different opinion about what makes a game fun and compelling. None of them are wrong, they are all just opinions. It's why I love the state of gaming right now, there is something out there for just about everyone.

ps... 7d2d is an awesome game, ugly as shit, but awesome.

Edit... just realized i quoted the wrong post.. meant to quote your post before that one.

edited May 2017

I think the thing that gets you into so many contentious arguments here is that you think that your personal opinion is some kind of objective, universal fact. It is not. 

Every gamer on this forum has a different opinion about what makes a game fun and compelling. None of them are wrong, they are all just opinions. It's why I love the state of gaming right now, there is something out there for just about everyone.

ps... 7d2d is an awesome game, ugly as shit, but awesome.

Edit... just realized i quoted the wrong post.. meant to quote your post before that one.
    It is true that gamers find fun different things however unless those different things are 'game is complete' then they dont talk about it (what is fun)

See, they dont say 'those games in early access are not fun AND not complete' they never talk about the fun factor unless of course its somehow universally understood that 'complete' is fun.

So maybe focus on the real point, not worry about getting offended, think about things when you know your wrong, and say so and move on.

edited May 2017
    Gaendric said:

I agree general bashing is unwarranted.
    A project can easily avoid me bashing them, by not running a KS campaign only based on some grand out of scope ideas and a landscape demo an 8 year old who just downloaded UE or Unity could make in a day. Yeah it looks very pretty, but there is absolutely 0 own skill or effort included. Unless we count pressing download buttons as skill.

That applies to the small guys just the same. 
    If someone truly has a dream, he is surely motivated enough to invest some time&effort in order to show us he can do it, before asking for money.
    Showing passion and willingness to go through the inevitable grind is the best way convince me to support that dream and the person behind it.

That's my rule anyway.
    If someone shows skill&effort from the getgo.
    Because that sets the tone for the rest of the dev cycle.

but see people dont talk about what is it in these games they consider not good. for many people (A large number of people) games like Rust IS fun...So just because its an early access game or a kickstarter like Rust, 7 Days to Die, Kerbal Space Program, The Forest, Ark, Life is  Fuedal, Space Engineers and so many doesnt mean its not fun or that they just learned how to code yesterday. 

Again I suggest that many people who critize the system are somehow not aware of the amazing games that are out there. Now if people want to talk about how they feel these games are not amazing outside of 'its early access' then we can have that conversation. In fact I would LOVE that conversation. I would like for gamers to start talking more about what they find compelling game play rather than fixated so much on business model and in so doing never even talk about the game play 

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    1. No release date.

I am highly suspicious of any crowdfunded mmo that posts a release date at launch of a crowdfunding campaign. There are simply too many variables. Crowdfunding alone is not enough to fund an MMO, generally speaking. You need big investors/venture capital.

Before you've funded a kickstarter, you don't even know what level of support you are going to have to start the project, let alone finish it. In most cases (all), you will need to obtain further funding beyond kickstarters and crowdfunding to complete the project. To prognosticate at the starting point tells me you're either trying to fool me, or you're fooling yourself.

I agree, without gameplay or some sort of demo to demonstrate capability to create the game you're seeking funding for, no trust should be given. This was the cause of my trepidation with Pantheon's original kickstarter, which they have since rectified.

The same with failing to provide technical details, and a succinct development and design overview. This was why I did not buy into Chronicles of Elyria, which still has not provided a coherent plan as to the technology and way they will achieve what they claim the game will offer. (see their talk of dynamic personal storylines)

The rest of the points are meh. Who promotes from a boardroom? Obviously details and progress should be shown, not talked about.

edited May 2017

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Risc1911 said:

(3) You will often hear things like: "We can not talk about Feature X because competition will steal the idea". This is bullshit because if you had a great Feature or idea that is so new and revolutionary that others would steal it then you as a company should copyright/patent it immediately. An idea like that is a potential money printing machine if you have the patent/copyright. No company would let this opportunity go.

Minor correction.  You can't patent or copyright an idea, only the implementation of an idea.  The idea isn't a "potential money printing machine", even if the finished product may be.  Almost every proposed project tries to keep it's game secret, but the idea becomes freely available when that becomes known.  All they can hope to achieve is protecting the head-start they have on implementing that idea.

So, keeping quiet about features and details does not protect their money.  The developers have to implement their ideas before they have something to sell.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ZionBaneZionBane Member UncommonPosts: 328
    @SEANMCAD

I understand what you are saying, but, this is just my feels on it. If a developer is not willing to admit their game is "ready" or at least "Live", then, to me, that is akin to eating a half cooked pancake, while having the audacity to charge me for it.

Not to be rude, but, if you are gonna charge money, own up that the game is live, with all it's flaws as is, in the state it's in.. Hiding behind "Open Beta" or "Early Access" is a developer just being a coward as far as their game goes, if it's as good as it's gonna really get.. lace that sucker up and wear it.

If they are gonna chicken out with trying to use excuses like "Open Beta", then they are not worth real money. Own what you got, and put it out there, saying "take me as I am bitches!" is the game is good, then it will stand on it's own at that stage, if it needs a metric crap-ton of work, then.. you should not be peddling half-cooked pancakes.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited May 2017
    There's an easier method to identify dubious game development.......
    If it says.......

Kickstarters, EarlyAccess and Crowd funded Projects

I'm not getting invested. But that is just me.

If they can release a game, I'll look at it. Otherwise........

There is no game.
    ZionBaneYashaX
    ZionBane said:
    @SEANMCAD

I understand what you are saying, but, this is just my feels on it. If a developer is not willing to admit their game is "ready" or at least "Live", then, to me, that is akin to eating a half cooked pancake, while having the audacity to charge me for it.

Not to be rude, but, if you are gonna charge money, own up that the game is live, with all it's flaws as is, in the state it's in.. Hiding behind "Open Beta" or "Early Access" is a developer just being a coward as far as their game goes, if it's as good as it's gonna really get.. lace that sucker up and wear it.

If they are gonna chicken out with trying to use excuses like "Open Beta", then they are not worth real money. Own what you got, and put it out there, saying "take me as I am bitches!" is the game is good, then it will stand on it's own at that stage, if it needs a metric crap-ton of work, then.. you should not be peddling half-cooked pancakes.
    Early Access is indeed just a way to weasel out of the responsibility by relying on the Steam policy that you have no obligation to ever finish the game. You can drop it like a hot potato once money stops rolling in.

In fact, there is no reason why you would ever make a final release because you gain nothing from doing so. It's a system that is broken and needs fixing.
    Slapshot1188ZionBane

edited May 2017
    GUYS!

1/2 of the top 6 top selling games on Steam are Early Access titles.
    3 titles (I think Ark, Rust and 7 Days to Die combined) have more sales then Witcher 3 on ALL platforms (Witcher 3 is considered one of the best selling games ever)

I came here on this topic in a hopeless attempt to help those who are unhappy with their current gaming selection to point out a HUGE list of games that are 1. doing very well. 2. many find a lot of fun. 3. are solid. 4. are well recieved. 5. One has to live in a cave to not know what these game titles are.
    If you dont want to try them then fine I should just let people be in the depressed state that they insist on being in.

I do feel however, if you are unhappy with your game selection and unwilling to try these very successful games in early access because of business practices you dont agree with then you should just STFU..my opion only
    alkarionlog