Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What exactly is v3.0?

Risc1911Risc1911 Member Posts: 78
edited May 2017 in Star Citizen
So i decided to check up on StarCitizen because i heard a lot of talk about the game changing version update (v3.0) coming. I googled some info and found a lot of contradicting information. 

There is info from last year saying that there will be Plantes to land on jobs like miner and trader and it will release in December but current version is 2.6.3. I did some more research and found that on the website they have development plans. But there is now talk about Moons, are they adding Moons for the Planets? Are they adding Moons without Planets (because that would be a little silly, what do they orbit LOL!)

I am also missing information about jobs, like miner and trader. Maybe i overlooked it. In any case. Can someone give me a quick overview what is going to be in this 3.0 update because i am thinking about joining if there is content like exploration, mining and trading.

Thanks.

EDIT: Spelling
“I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.” ― Stanisław Lem

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer,
the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" ― Derek's Law

Comments

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    I think that if you look at their site you will find most of the answers to your questions. 3.0 is mostly, from what I have heard and read, about landing on planets and a more fleshed out start for the Persistent Universe. There was a video out a while back that showed some of the things they were attempting to do. Again, check the site.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• InebriatedSkunkInebriatedSkunk Member UncommonPosts: 66
    In 3.0 there's going to be the addition of the 3 moons that surround Crusader (Yela, Daymar, and Cellin) as well as a host of new jobs and tech. A "quest giver" of sorts named Miles Eckhart is going to be put in GrimHex who will give basic jobs that will be the foundation of Trading and Exploration. As for mining, IIRC you can select mining jobs on your MobiGlas if you have a ship capable of it (i.e. the MISC Prospector also coming in 3.0) Also included in the update is the cargo mechanics (of couse) and the first implementation of "Grabby Hands" which will allow you to pick up and place objects in your surroundings. There is also Item System 2.0 which allows objects to interact, such as parts of your ship or certain functions of stations.

I know I probably missed some features, so be sure to give their schedule report a look at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report
    Kyleran
  • Risc1911Risc1911 Member Posts: 78
    In 3.0 there's going to be the addition of the 3 moons that surround Crusader (Yela, Daymar, and Cellin) as well as a host of new jobs and tech. A "quest giver" of sorts named Miles Eckhart is going to be put in GrimHex who will give basic jobs that will be the foundation of Trading and Exploration. As for mining, IIRC you can select mining jobs on your MobiGlas if you have a ship capable of it (i.e. the MISC Prospector also coming in 3.0) Also included in the update is the cargo mechanics (of couse) and the first implementation of "Grabby Hands" which will allow you to pick up and place objects in your surroundings. There is also Item System 2.0 which allows objects to interact, such as parts of your ship or certain functions of stations.

I know I probably missed some features, so be sure to give their schedule report a look at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report
    So the Moons orbit a Planet called Crusader? Can you land on the Planet too?

The rest still has me as much confused as their webpage. So there will be mining, exploration and trading?
    “I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.” ― Stanisław Lem

the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" ― Derek's Law
    Gruug said:
    I think that if you look at their site you will find most of the answers to your questions. 3.0 is mostly, from what I have heard and read, about landing on planets and a more fleshed out start for the Persistent Universe. There was a video out a while back that showed some of the things they were attempting to do. Again, check the site.

As i said in my OP, i did go to their Page and used Google but the information is different pretty much every month. First it was 2 or 3 Planets. Now it is 3 Moons for example.

I would not have asked for a quick overview if i had the time to wade through 50 videos and 200 pages all saying different things. The current webpage has a lot of information yet it is unclear what some of it is and what it means for the 3.0 version update.

Thanks.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    It is a leaking container for all the dreams an wishes of people easily deprived of their hard earned cash.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited May 2017
    Risc1911 said:
    So the Moons orbit a Planet called Crusader? Can you land on the Planet too?

The rest still has me as much confused as their webpage. So there will be mining, exploration and trading?
    Crusader is a Gas Giant, you'll never land on it, but it will have a landing zone, not on 3.0, first the PG tech will have to support the generation of such unique planets.

There is one considered planet/planetoid to be on 3.0, being that Delamar and its landing zone.

There won't be mining, was never confirmed for 3.0, only for 3.1 (last year).

There will be some degree of exploration (either that is missions or you finding deleretics/outposts by yourself).

There will be trading, based on the cargo transportation mechanics.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited May 2017
    3.0 is the next version of their alpha.  It has significantly more features than the older versions.  Exactly what those features are, however, is something that's been in flux (typically cut). 

You can look at a list of what's slated for 3.0 right now at the website, but I honestly wouldn't bother or worry about it too much cause it's probably going to get shortened or cut or something with a few new things added (such as more ships) anyways so it's probably better to just find other things to do until it's finally out in whatever amount of months/years and then make an assessment of it after that.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited May 2017
    It started with a space station around the Gas Giant Crusader in the Stanton system. There was also a refuelling station, a security station and several comsats nearby. Also an asteroid belt near the moon Yela.

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Stanton_system

Then they added a pirate asteroid station (GrimHex) in the middle of the asteroid belt.

The next step is to flesh out the moons around the Gas Giant Crusader

http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Crusader

They are called Cellin, Daymar and Yela. It will be possible to explore these moons.

Then they add the other planets of the Stanton system:

ArcCorp  - one of the landing zones there can  already be visited

Hurston

and MicroTech. Details about those planets and what to expect in the landing zones can be found under the link at the start of this post.

Together with many more space assets this will complete the Stanton system. Many of the professions and game mechanics will be tested in that full system setting. Trading, Mining, Security etc.

For those that prefer watching over reading -

Have fun

PS:
    >> The current webpage has a lot of information yet it is unclear what some of it is and what it means for the 3.0 version update.>>>

Google (or Youtube) is thy friend ... there are plenty of v-bloggers that have gladly compiled all the information you might want in their streams and v-blogs.

The Star Citizen Wiki also puts most of the information you will ever need in one place.

If you just want to know what is in Alpha 3.0, there are again many that are happy to help you with a summary e.g.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited May 2017
    Risc1911 said:
    So i decided to check up on StarCitizen because i heard a lot of talk about the game changing version update (v3.0) coming. I googled some info and found a lot of contradicting information. 

There is info from last year saying that there will be Plantes to land on jobs like miner and trader and it will release in December but current version is 2.6.3.

<snip>
    Couple of general points that should help understanding first:

1. Most developments - not just games - involve several strands of activity happening more or less at the same time. SC is no exception there are multiple teams at work on multiple fronts.

2. Version numbers - for games and other stuff - are simply "lines in the sand", collections of stuff declared complete. The numbers used are arbitrary. There core purpose is to control development by providing a record.

Last year RSI hoped to release a "collection of stuff" that would "significantly" move the alpha forward. And - to promote the game presumably - they hoped to call the release "version 3.0". 

So what happened come the end of 2016?

Well RSI's 2017 plan shows some networking stuff that "finished" towards the end of 2016 being "reworked". For whatever reason the networking strand of activity didn't meet whatever standards they had set.

So Christmas is coming, lots of planned stuff is finished but some networking stuff is not as good as they wanted for 3.0. Their options:

- Release nothing to alpha. Keep all the finished stuff under wraps. (Huge backlash).
    - Release what they had. Call it version 3.0 anyway- remember the number used is arbitrary.
    - Release only the finished stuff but call it something less than 3.0.

Obviously they opted to go the 2.6 route - it was very well received as a significant step forward although maybe(?) not what they were aiming for. 

Fast forward to today and - essentially - you have the same situation. 

Version 3.0 is a (new) collection of stuff that they aspire to release. Some stuff will be "must have" - presumably some of that "networking stuff" that didn't make the grade at the end of 2016. And there will be other stuff as well that they aim to have finished.  

And at some point - once whatever stuff they consider "must have" is complete - a guillotine will come down. And they will start to write up the release notes prior to pushing it out.

Inevitably - because this is just an update of the alpha and not the final game - some stuff they were not planning to have will have finished early whilst some stuff they were hoping for won't be finished. So the version 3.0 they end up releasing won't exactly match what their aspiration for 3.0 was a few months ago. It will be about the same but differences are "inevitable". Still alpha so no big deal.

Unless they call it 2.7 or 4.0 of course!
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    BeansnBreadRisc1911
    gervaise1 said:
    Risc1911 said:

There is info from last year saying that there will be Plantes to land on jobs like miner and trader and it will release in December but current version is 2.6.3.

<snip>

Couple of general points first:

1. Don't try to bullshit me. It's insulting.
    2. See #1

Babuinix

Erillion said:

loads of things and videos.

Thanks for the effort but a short to the point answer what 3.0 is would suffice. It seems to me that you don't know, the streamers don't know, not even CIG knows. If that is the case, JUST SAY SO.

Thanks again for your help, i guess.
    Babuinixkikoodutroa8

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    3.0 is the next big update that will allow us to go from space to landing on big stuff. Planets, moons, stations. Add NPC's and quests, Introduce Cargo/Trading/Pirating/BountyHunting and start the push for more complex activity's.

Have fun!

kikoodutroa8
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    3.0 is usually the 2nd major update for any released software.

In this case it is a developer giving software in alpha status big version numbers to imply big leaps of progression. It is like having a marketing department handling software version numbers. The release version will probably be >9000.0 or something like that.
    Risc1911
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    Since the Star Citizen builds are publicly ALPHA and they are given to the backers to test way before conventional "Alphas" that's a non issue.

Don't forget that Star Citizen is not an Early Acess tittle on steam and it allows for Free Play Tests regularly .
    edited May 2017
    Babuinix said:
    3.0 is the next big update that will allow us to go from space to landing on big stuff. Planets, moons, stations. Add NPC's and quests, Introduce Cargo/Trading/Pirating/BountyHunting and start the push for more complex activity's.

Apparently you are misinformed as there are no planets. In fact. No one, not even CIG themselves know what 3.0 is. So unless you are a time traveler you are just making shit up.

Thanks for trying though.

PS: I got my Answer, so i am out. Thanks everyone for trying to explain.

edited May 2017
    Risc1911 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Risc1911 said:

<snip>

2. See #1

So "sorry" @Risc1911 if I thought you were asking a genuine question. How silly of me.

You talked about lots of contradictory info and how you read that 3.0 was to release last December but the current version is 2.6.3.

So I gave you an answer. And what I described is what happens (in simple terms as there is a lot more to it). In lots of industries. If you think its bullshit then I suggest you stay away from development / design type work.

And don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    Risc1911
    gervaise1 said:
    Risc1911 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Risc1911 said:

<snip>

2. See #1

So "sorry" @Risc1911 if I thought you were asking a genuine question. How silly of me.

You talked about lots of contradictory info and how you read that 3.0 was to release last December but the current version is 2.6.3.

So I gave you an answer. And what I described is what happens (in simple terms as there is a lot more to it). In lots of industries. If you think its bullshit then I suggest you stay away from development / design type work.

No, you did not give me an answer. You tried to gish-gallop me with made up nonsense just to make the very obvious incompetence of CIG look better.

They had slides showing what will be in 3.0 and announced it for last December.

If i compare that to the current plan they have on their webpage it is pretty clear that under no circumstance whatsoever could they have ever released that last December especially since now the features of the new 3.0 have shrunk dramatically, especially the much praised network improvements to actually make this mess playable above 30 FPS.

Don't worry, the expensive space door that you as backer paid for can't hit me.

MaxBacon

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    3.0 is just the next 'big' thing to keep this disaster relevant. Once it comes out (in whatever form) it will then become the latest example of the incompetence and overselling of a waste of 150 million (and counting,allegedly) by people backing it.

Then it will all be about 3.5 or 4.0 or whatever other make believe 'version' they try and sell as THE 'game changer' for this project.

But I think if they release something they believe no one can criticize and people still criticize it (beyond the haters) then they might just go all in on the 'minimal viable product' release. But of course they will still have their marketing set ups for the conventions which will be coming shortly after they put 3.0 out there for everyone to play with.
    MaxBacon
    rodarin said:
    3.0 is just the next 'big' thing to keep this disaster relevant. Once it comes out (in whatever form) it will then become the latest example of the incompetence and overselling of a waste of 150 million (and counting,allegedly) by people backing it.

Then it will all be about 3.5 or 4.0 or whatever other make believe 'version' they try and sell as THE 'game changer' for this project.

But I think if they release something they believe no one can criticize and people still criticize it (beyond the haters) then they might just go all in on the 'minimal viable product' release. But of course they will still have their marketing set ups for the conventions which will be coming shortly after they put 3.0 out there for everyone to play with.
    I would not be so negative. They have a whopping $150 million ($450 million by Chris Roberts napkin math that crowdfunded money is worth 3 times publisher money) so chances are they can produce something at least resembling a game. What irks me personally is the constant delays, flood of useless videos and moving of goalposts.
    MaxBacon

edited May 2017
    I guess we found a new couple. hehehe :D

And the space doors and coffee machines rise again!
    Erillion
    MaxBacon said:
    I guess we found a new couple. hehehe :D

And the space doors and coffee machines rise again!
    Please don't assume my gender, my sexual preference or who i am a couple with. It's offensive and this is not the place to discuss it.

I don't see what a coffee machine has to do with this.

Try to stay on topic please or don't comment at all.

Thank you
    MaxBaconErillion

edited May 2017
    Risc1911 said:
    Please don't assume my gender, my sexual preference or who i am a couple with. It's offensive and this is not the place to discuss it.

Thank you
    Did I? reference though hahaha

You're the one who already made derails with Space Doors and CIG's incompetence instead of the question you asked.

But hey, it's fine, as long it's hating on Star Citizen it's aaaall fine. Oh dejavu!
    Erillion
    Risc1911 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Risc1911 said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Risc1911 said:

<snip>

2. See #1

No, you did not give me an answer. You tried to gish-gallop me with made up nonsense just to make the very obvious incompetence of CIG look better.

They had slides showing what will be in 3.0 and announced it for last December.

If i compare that to the current plan they have on their webpage it is pretty clear that under no circumstance whatsoever could they have ever released that last December especially since now the features of the new 3.0 have shrunk dramatically, especially the much praised network improvements to actually make this mess playable above 30 FPS.

Don't worry, the expensive space door that you as backer paid for can't hit me.

Ah you are just a troll!

Why not go and find what they listed as the features in 2.6 were. Oh wait there wasn't going to be a 2.6. 

Version numbers are purely arbitrary. The current "3.0" is not what was planned for the end of last year. Do you need someone to spell out what the word arbitrary means?

Anyone who has been involved in design / development / management of such / version control etc. knows how these things are managed professionally. You clearly don't and seem to be going out of your way to make it abundantly clear that you don't.

You have no idea whether I have backed the game. 

And that "expensive space door" looks like increasingly cheap advertising.
    edited May 2017
    MaxBacon said:
    Risc1911 said:

Thank you
    Did I? reference though hahaha

You're the one who already made derails with Space Doors and CIG's incompetence instead of the question you asked.

But hey, it's fine, as long it's hating on Star Citizen it's aaaall fine. Oh dejavu!
    I am not interested in your personal attacks or generalizations of people as being "haters"
    Neither do i approve of your vilification of everyone that does not agree with you and i will therefor cordially invite you to my ignore list.

I appreciate your candor.
    MaxBaconScotchUp

gervaise1 said:
    Ah you are just a troll!

Bienvenue à ma Ignorer la liste