Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zone Music - Which MMO had the best overall?

EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
So I found a hidden gem on youtube, from all of the classic Everquest music. It brought back a ton of nostalgia. I have to say that overall Everquest's score was the best. I found it really fitting the game and the tone of the game. What made Everquest's music immersive for me was the ambient wildlife. You could hear the bugs, the birds, the howls ect. I think the only thing it was missing was wind. 

I have to say that I would rather prefer ambient music over zone music most of the time because to me it helps with immersion. However, I think if you're deep in the wilderness ambient music is most warranted or if you're near a settlement or a town perhaps music would be warranted. 

Post your favorite zone music/soundtrack that relaxes you, helps your immersion and/or brings back nostalgia so others can enjoy. 

Also tell us do you prefer zone music or ambient or a little bit of both?

Here is my video, for your Everquest Vets, enjoy: 
AmatheJeffSpicoli

Comments

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    edited May 2017

Heartbreaking music, moved me the second I zoned in to the lush landscape. There's plenty I can think of GW had some astounding pieces too.
    EronakisPo_ggSteelhelmDistopiaGorwe

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I tend not to experience immersion in MMOs and I usually get bored with the music pretty quickly so often turn it off. I'm also a group-focused player so will usually play with a headset on, chatting to guildies, so by necessity I have to have game sounds turned down or off. 

That said, LotRO did some good things with zone music. It was never particularly overbearing but tended to add just a sublte undertone to whatever zone you were in. 
  • EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    EvilGeek said:

Heartbreaking music, moved me the second I zoned in to the lush landscape. There's plenty I can think of GW had some astounding pieces too.
    That's fantastic, thanks for sharing! 
  • BlurBlehBlurBleh Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Granado Espada was famous for having top notch soundtrack, still the best I've heard in any MMOs.
    SovrathAllerleirauhLazarus71Akulas
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I can only repeat what I post in the ever-returning "music in MMOs" thread every couple months :lol:  (no offense)
    Knut's 2 AoC soundtracks, as EvilGeek posted above, and
    Chance's 3 LotRO albums. Not in order, both guys on a shared 1st place.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Everquest 2 had amazing music.
    It's a big part of the reason I kept coming back to play.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    LOTRO had so many nice zone music and of course Tom Bombadil theme comes to mind.

EronakisOctagon7711AllerleirauhJeffSpicoli
  • EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    edited May 2017
    Maurgrim said:
    LOTRO had so many nice zone music and of course Tom Bombadil theme comes to mind.

I absolutely agree, LOTRO would be a very very close second for me, but the nostalgia of Everquest's soundtrack just sets it above for me.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Not going to claim a best.  I like:  EQ2 theme, wow has tons of great music.  City of Heroes has great music as well.
    laxie
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    I think I have to give the award to the LoTRO, only time I have not turned music down/off in an mmo.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Anarchy Online. It's 16 years old but to me still reigns as best music.

zone "Seascape"

login screen

My number two would be Age of Conan,  and number three is LoTRO.

someforumguyHariken
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    FFXI. Nothing even comes close, IMO. 
    [Deleted User]Warlyx
  • Kaisen_DexxKaisen_Dexx Member UncommonPosts: 326
    edited May 2017
    I have to go with FFXI as well. I still love the Rolanberry Fields Theme:
    [Deleted User]Eronakis13thBen
  • koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    LOTRO may not be a great game, but it clearly has the best musical score in terms of an actual arrangement.  The choir voices were real, but the rest was probably done on a computer but it is top notch.  Well, there are some clunkers but most of it is well done.

SWTOR used all the music ever associated with any Star Wars game or movie, plus I think all that was done live.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I loved Lineage 2 music.  Each town and city had its own theme.  Plus the grinding music was very rhythmic and relaxing which is one of the reasons I played it for years even though I prefer PvE.
    Lineage 2 Music: Town of Dion

[Deleted User]EvilGeek

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    LOTRO may not be a great game, but it clearly has the best musical score in terms of an actual arrangement.  The choir voices were real, but the rest was probably done on a computer but it is top notch.
    Actually... nope. If you don't believe me (and why should, I'm too just a random poster :lol: ) there was a countdown before the Anniversary, from 10 to 1 every day Chance posted one of his favourite tracks, with some background tidbits on the side about the birth of that track. It was pretty cool... for example:

"This music track, “Heart of a Hero”, tries to convey some of those ideals. I open with broad, open harmony in the strings. The pipes and whistle echoing off in the distance conjure images of green hills and a happy homeland far away. Fiddle and cello round out the palette, organic, resonant, touching on Shire themes I created in my earliest early days of scoring LOTRO.

Some great performances here. Daron Bradford plays all the woodwinds on this piece. Aaron Ashton performed the solo fiddle. Nicole Pinnell played the cello. The Utah Film Orchestra played everything else, conducted by Judd Maher." - Chance Thomas"

And since I missed to add links on my previous post and OP specifially mentioned that, here's the 10 tracks Chance selected for the Anniversary: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp8-eNYOqZmNadm16eTRK6ZFvpRc97q43
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Guild Wars 2 had a lot of score per area of the map, though their soundtracks were a bit strong to the environment vibe soundtrack.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I loved Lineage 2 music.  Each town and city had its own theme.  Plus the grinding music was very rhythmic and relaxing which is one of the reasons I played it for years even though I prefer PvE.
    Lineage 2 Music: Town of Dion

I agree. Nothing comes close to Lineage 2. 
  • Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    ok not an an mmo but gotta have a mention for Diablo III some of the zone music 
  • jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    edited May 2017
    Vanilla WoW had some nice music themes and ambiance soft music

But I also remember LOTRO had a some music that stuck forever

But I remember there was another version of this dwarf song in one of the zones which was basically the same melody but different

AH this one! (starting minute 4:43)

MaurgrimLazarus71JaggaSpikesJeffSpicoli
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Listening to eq1 music just brings back good memories, for its time I think it did a good job portraying the mood and feel of the zones. Overall though, out of all games, I think the FF games do a fantastic job pretty much in all areas.
    Eronakis
  • monochrome19monochrome19 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    No game comes close to FFXIV, it honestly isn't even a question.
    sweetangel20RealizerMaurgrim
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Andraxx said:
    Anarchy Online. It's 16 years old but to me still reigns as best music.

zone "Seascape"

Omg, memories. I loved noob island AO for the music and atmosphere and the leet remarks from the animals there lol.
  • 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    I have to go with FFXI as well. I still love the Rolanberry Fields Theme:
    nNo doubt about it!!
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Age of Conan by far, IMO. I really liked a few tracks from EQ2 (they used a real orchestra), but AoC's soundtrack was on a completely different level.
    Distopia