Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - Preparing for Stormblood - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - Preparing for Stormblood - MMORPG.com

The pre-expansion season is always a weird time to play an MMO. If you’re anything like me, then you’re probably stuck between having things you still want to do on FFXIV and thinking that nothing you do now will matter once Stormblood comes out anyway.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    my biggest gripe with this game is having to do the entire main storyline before I can do almost any of the endgame.
    [Deleted User]TheocritusXophViper482pantaroSetzerScott_Jesliskallens

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    i quitted in HW, way to many quests, around 300h main story till mid HW storyline. I dont have the patience anymore for that.
    Viper482Scott_Jeslis
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    At least both Red Mage and Samurai are available IN the ARR world , so you won't have to finish Heavensward to use them.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    my biggest gripe with this game is having to do the entire main storyline before I can do almost any of the endgame.
    The game is way too story driven for my tastes...i burned out on that years ago.
    Viper482pantaro
  • KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430
    But the story is so good! (the main story anyways)
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    It's a FF game and you all are complaining about the story. Must be new to video games.
    infomatz
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Will i need to catch up on the main quest to play stormblood the same way i had to for heavensword? Also all my proffesions are wayyyyy behind is there any catch up system that will allow me to farm in stormblood or no?
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Some people like story some don't. However if you don't then this game is a no go. However I believe they will have jumping potions so you can get right to Storm Blood. Seems silly to if you don't like the story driven aspect though. Seeing how Storm Blood will be just as story driven.
    I have to strongly disagree with you on this one, I hate story in my MMO's but love this game, I dont play  FFARR for the lame anime story, i play for the immersive world they have created and the fun crafting and raiding.I would strongly recommend this game to anyone that enjoys/enjoyed wow.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited May 2017
    "True, few games are as proud of old content as FFXIV, which seems to try and get people to do stuff from prior patches as much as possible"

True, few games are as proud of old content as FFXIV, which forces you to do stuff from prior patches as much as possible, at times making it near impossible for you to catch up to current content.

Fixed it for you.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!

Some people like story some don't. However if you don't then this game is a no go. However I believe they will have jumping potions so you can get right to Storm Blood. Seems silly to if you don't like the story driven aspect though. Seeing how Storm Blood will be just as story driven.

I don't dislike story, I just don't play just for the story. I am fine with doing the current content story, I just got tired of slothing through the old story solo. It isn't that good.
    unfilteredJW
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    I love that theres story, this game has a lot to do, and why in such a rush anyways?

[Deleted User]kallens
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    I wouldn't mind the story if it weren't such an absolute slog to get through. Presentation and pacing is very important when it comes to story, and MMORPG's generally suck at it. Being in the middle of a seemingly important quest and then getting sent to play message boy or kill 10 wolves is quite jarring. 

Having a lot of story does not excuse the lack of compelling gameplay. The Secret World did story right. FFXIV does not. 
    pantaroViper482Setzerexile01
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

I wouldn't mind the story if it weren't such an absolute slog to get through. Presentation and pacing is very important when it comes to story, and MMORPG's generally suck at it. Being in the middle of a seemingly important quest and then getting sent to play message boy or kill 10 wolves is quite jarring. 

Having a lot of story does not excuse the lack of compelling gameplay. The Secret World did story right. FFXIV does not. 

I will admit that during ARR there was problems with that and the story didn't pick up good till after titan. However to me and many reviewers a lot of that was cut out in Heavensward and more voice acting was added which was another big complaint in ARR (Not to mention bad ass dragon story of course opinion) . SE said there will be more voice acting for Storm Blood and I am betting the main story flow will be even more refined. :)
    I'll be honest. By the time I got to Heavensward, I was so burned out with doing endless kill/fetch quests that I couldn't have cared less about the story. Parts of the story were great, but the gameplay that accompanied them let the storytelling down. That's a complaint against FFXIV, but really no MMORPG gets it right. 

Viper482AlomarMrMelGibson
  • SetzerSetzer Member UncommonPosts: 261

This is why I stopped playing. I love story and while I did enjoy the main storyline I thought the pacing and presentation weren't very good at times. Some of the quests were downright boring and like you said, an absolute slog to get through. I tried to work my way through quests to get into Heavensward content but I just wasn't enjoying it. I'm the savior of Eorzea and they want me to pick up Chocobo crap. Yeah, no thanks.
    Viper482BuschkatzeMrMelGibson
  • kallenskallens Member UncommonPosts: 39
    There are some really slow parts to the story line that you must do to progress, but to be fair, it's easily done and there are things you can do like crafting and gathering, side quests, to break things up. If you're looking to speed run to Heavenwards, well that is your choice and you can do that, but to complain about it or refuse to play because you are "forced to quest" is short sighted. Just a reminder but the game has been out for years and people have have two years to complete Heavenswards, and SB was announced months ago, so I don't feel bad for the whiners, also there are always catch up patches, and content is released in ways that always allow everyone, if they are willing to put some effort into, to be able to do the newest content.
    Viper482[Deleted User]
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

Viper482 said:

"True, few games are as proud of old content as FFXIV, which seems to try and get people to do stuff from prior patches as much as possible"

True, few games are as proud of old content as FFXIV, which forces you to do stuff from prior patches as much as possible, at times making it near impossible for you to catch up to current content.

Fixed it for you.

I think its only really "proud" of the story. You can skip most of the content and it becomes irrelevant and mostly abandoned very quickly. Lucky for people who like doing basically the same thing with new skins...this game does that often.

FFXI for ages kept its content relevent, constantly played and always came out with pretty different types of content each expanion. They also did the story much better in terms of design. It did not force it, you could do plenty all the way to endgame without touching it but kept the incentive to do it with good story and great rewards (gear or access to special areas like sky or sea).
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

Nyctelios said:

I started playing FF14 when Heavensward launched and I don't get this "reach the actual content" thing.

Isn't "end game grind" most of complains these days? FF14 is not a game about reaching lvl cap, but enjoying the ride.

It's ok, you can dislike it and play something else. It won't hurt.

You can play something else which will always be true, but games like early EQ/FFXI are non existent now (save for something upcoming like Pantheon). The games themselves have changed dramatically and basically everything out as of late has been standard post WoW design or gimmicky Korean games that constantly pop up.

I think the other side of that is if you enjoy parts of a game but other parts you really don't, which really can suck. You have a desire for it to change those parts so you can full dive into it and get lost in the game for years on end. Sadly at a point like how FF14 is...its pretty much has its formula and likely will never stray much.

Nyctelios said:

I started playing FF14 when Heavensward launched and I don't get this "reach the actual content" thing.

Isn't "end game grind" most of complains these days? FF14 is not a game about reaching lvl cap, but enjoying the ride.

You are completely missing the point. This game is a on the cusp of yet another expansion, yet if you start it now you will be forced to slog through obsolete content while the majority of the player base will be enjoying current content. Blizzard knows how to attract new players, include a leveled toon to get to the newest "where it's at" content. No doubt the newer content is much more entertaining than the old crap. Not to mention good luck with the forced group content when 99% of the population is in expansionville. This "ride" you speak of is simply not very fun. The game opens up more in Heavensward, and with my max level toon I had prior to the expansion coming out I found out I would have to jump through a crap-ton of boring hoops just to enjoy the expansion. There is no reason for that. Now I am going to be two behind, no way.

If SE doesn't want to do this, fine. They are the ones missing opportunities to attract new or returning players. Eventually they will have to do it, by that time better options will hopefully be out.
    kallensBuschkatzeMrMelGibson

kallens said:

There are some really slow parts to the story line that you must do to progress, but to be fair, it's easily done and there are things you can do like crafting and gathering, side quests, to break things up. If you're looking to speed run to Heavenwards, well that is your choice and you can do that, but to complain about it or refuse to play because you are "forced to quest" is short sighted. Just a reminder but the game has been out for years and people have have two years to complete Heavenswards, and SB was announced months ago, so I don't feel bad for the whiners, also there are always catch up patches, and content is released in ways that always allow everyone, if they are willing to put some effort into, to be able to do the newest content.

I don't need you "to feel bad" for me dude, get over yourself. I don't play to "put effort" into games, I play for fun. Blizzard gives you a level 100 if you buy Legion so new or returning players can enjoy current content with the majority of the population. This is a smart business decision, if nothing else. But wait...you are part of that "I worked for it so should you" crowd right? ROFL. You people really need to get over yourselves. Work is what you should be doing 40 hrs per week to earn the money to pay the sub in the game you want to have fun in. Grinding through obsolete content solo is not fun.

Like I said though, not really my problem. Eventually SE will be begging for new players and offering all kinds of crap to get them. All MMOs get to that point, esp the ones that let "pride" get in the way.
    kallensBuschkatze
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited May 2017
    doh , i have still 3.4 and 3.5 to do >< , but so bad is the queue for Void ark? :/ what about alex normal? i guess i could ask for a rush on my FC ...
    [Deleted User]
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388

Viper482 said:

Nyctelios said:

You are completely missing the point. This game is a on the cusp of yet another expansion, yet if you start it now you will be forced to slog through obsolete content while the majority of the player base will be enjoying current content. Blizzard knows how to attract new players, include a leveled toon to get to the newest "where it's at" content. No doubt the newer content is much more entertaining than the old crap. Not to mention good luck with the forced group content when 99% of the population is in expansionville. This "ride" you speak of is simply not very fun. The game opens up more in Heavensward, and with my max level toon I had prior to the expansion coming out I found out I would have to jump through a crap-ton of boring hoops just to enjoy the expansion. There is no reason for that. Now I am going to be two behind, no way.

If SE doesn't want to do this, fine. They are the ones missing opportunities to attract new or returning players. Eventually they will have to do it, by that time better options will hopefully be out.

It is true and real if you join a guild. Have you tried that by any chance? I am not trying to be rude either by asking this question. I took a break from the game for almost six months (Got caught up in Project Gorgon :p) and when I got back my guild helped me catch up. We also have people who join that start from scratch and get them caught up in no time. Also of course as you know jumping potions at launch of of Storm Blood.

This. I came back 2 weeks ago. Joined an FC and I went from 2.0-3.0 in three days.
    [Deleted User]kallens

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    in middle of ARR i downloaded a speedhack and moved 100% faster. That way i could progress like i wanted. Still when i hit HW, i had to quit. I just couldnt enjoy those fetch quests and the dungeons and bosses where almost similiar in mechanics just different skin.
    Buschkatze
  • JinxysJinxys Member UncommonPosts: 488

That's kinda why I am scared of coming back into FF. I haven't even finished my FIRST main story yet. Let alone the Heavensward expansion. I feel I might of left it too late. And unfortunately due to my timezone the Siren server is always dead when I'm online
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    edited May 2017
    While I don't agree with people wanting everything to be quick, easy and immediate, I do agree the game could become even better with a little 46-50 quest and experience restructuring. Those were made when they were a strict deadline, and the first couple of patches were moreso tests of what works and what does not work.

Eliminating / altering some of the 2.1-2.3 quests, making it so that the level 49-50 ARR story / dungeons are level 46 and allowing the restructured 2.1-2.3.5 quests to be used as the best way to level your first class 46-50 would improve the flow the old 2.0 game dramatically as we move into new expansions. From there, increase the experience gained from 2.4-2.5 while it both leads one into Heavensward content and allows them to get up to level 52 or 53 before starting HW quests for similar amounts of experience. Then giving Heavensward (which I think they are doing, anyway), the same treatment they gave 2.0 content in that main quests give double the experience.

They are already making it so Samurai and Red mage are playable without completing ARR or Heavensward (only requirement being level 50, since they start at level 50 as a job). So that would be among the best ways to help anyone that doesn't just want to have fun and play a game. Some just can't get past a WoW mentality that the only content is at the end.

With enough feedback they may restructure one day, as they are doing with the Samurai and Red Mage being accessible early compared to the HW jobs. Though they will likely just stick with potion that allows you to skip ARR content as spending development time and all that might not be the best option for creating new content, even if their budget was tripled over HW and they're adding new EU servers (and locking a dozen overpopulated ones) due to stable growth.

Though as a whole they add a lot of new systems to the game consistently, and even without expansions.  Some promote playing old content and helping new players for additional chances at optional systems and some are independent.  Though there's almost always people looking to help new players out since they'll be immensely rewarded by different systems at once that they can opt into or out of at any given time.  Heck, even if you use the new cross-server party finder and state that it's your first time in a dungeon, you'll likely get people joining quickly for the benefits they get for helping.

Just have to be social and use the systems available, join a FC (guild) or even ask in chat and mention you're new / have the first time bonus.  The soloist "I want to do it quick and easy" attitude isn't really suited to the game.
    Post edited by Yaevindusk on
    Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • SeffaerSeffaer Member UncommonPosts: 5
    The massive amounts of quests needed to be finished in order to "catch up" as a newer player has absolutely slaughtered my hopes of enjoying this game. I got to max level and promptly quit.

This game literally forces you into doing old content alone in order to do current-tier story quests. It's not fun and it's not a good feeling being so behind the curve. My opinion is to save your money or quit your job.

You won't even be ready for the expansion AFTER Stormblood if you start the game fresh today.

/endrant