Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Development Recap (May 19) - Albion Online Video Podcast

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited May 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageDevelopment Recap (May 19) - Albion Online Video Podcast

The Albion Online team is back with an update to discuss progress being made on the game as it applies to the road map laid out several months ago.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    I like the direction of the pvp which helps smaller groups or solo people survive in a guild dominated setting.

I'm not a huge fan of using "portals" in yet another game. To me, they shoul have kept to the port idea, but I guess it wasn't panning out.

I am still on the fence regarding this game. Will there be enough to do that isn't just an open world moba? Sandbox means play in a variety of ways at the players choice.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Giving solo players a fighting chance to escape/avoid large zergs will be the salvation of this game. If they only cater to guilds the game will end up like all those other games that ignore the needs of solo players and suffer for it.

I think they should make all enemies visible on the map not just 10+ groups because gank groups will just limit themselves to 9 to avoid being detected.

The random spot point is a good idea but how random is it? will people eventually learn all the points and just camp them like in other games?

All in all these look like a good improvements to the game and at least proves they are considering various options for combating the griefers that seek to destroy all pvp games given the opportunity.
  • healboothealboot Member UncommonPosts: 103
    player vs player in a mmo role playing game? And someones role they like to play is ruin the game for the masses. I wonder what makes designing this type game around pvp a good idea? I forked over $100 for this game and it disgusts me.
    AlomarMarcus-kinkyJalepeno
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664

healboot said:

player vs player in a mmo role playing game? And someones role they like to play is ruin the game for the masses. I wonder what makes designing this type game around pvp a good idea? I forked over $100 for this game and it disgusts me.

So you forked over $100 for a known pvp game, now you are disgusted by the fact there is pvp in a known pvp game that you payed for? I think I'm a little lost here.. Did you just see the name of the game and think "well this sounds like a good title, please take $100 now!"
    AlomarkinkyJalepeno[Deleted User]
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited May 2017
    I think this is all stupid, so reading the points here that they are doing...

Adding detection on the map to detect 10+ Players is something that kills the PVP Experience, this should remain anonymous players should be allowed to gank freely as it was in the original alpha as it was the danger should always be there like in "Dark Fall" same as in Alpha testing.

They have yet to address why resource downgrading was removed from the game example converting tier 8 iron to tier 5 iron and such it was in alpha should have stayed.

Many of the houses / Housing Features were removed from the game, many of the original housing models.

The whole way PVP is being addressed just sucks it seems like the company is trying to cater to two different play styles here and this is a problem, I always knew of Albion during alpha before they banned my account a couple of months ago for being a "Hard-Core" pvp game and this is what I enjoyed about Albion was being able to roam around and gank other people...

Sadly I too wasted like 150+ on this game and I too think anyone looking for PVP should skip over this game and go to "Dark Fall" or some other PVP game I just do not see Albion as a game being worth playing after many of the changes I have seen being made, and even before my ban during this beta for trading some resources across games I have to say I was actually as a player getting extremely bored with the game...

I loved the concept of the crafting, but the PVE was absolutely the most boring shit I have ever played, and the only fun I somewhat had was PVP just going out and ganking people was awesome.

Albion as a game has taught me to watch who I back now especially being a backer for over 4 years in this game, and expecting it would be great, which explains why my entire clan left this game for Black Desert, not that I like Black Desert anyways but they left this game way before I did for this very likely reason they knew what was coming before it steeped this low, and I am not sure how a game could turn out like this from something positive to something so negative, I understand every game has its fans, but truthfully I think a lot of people have to agree there just are better games.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited May 2017
    So basically they're dumbing down the PvP ganking aspect as they gradually realize it's too niche for a game to survive. (or at least, to put enough money in their pockets)

This really shouldn't be a surprise, yet judging by how so many people defended this game, I imagine it'll be a surprise to quite a few.  And a very unpleasant one judging by the comments above, it seems.
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    It's not dumbing down, it's making it more playable, I watched the streams, listened to the feedback, people would have rather played a game that didn't just cater to guilds, they wanted to do their own thing and still be a contributing factor in some fashion. Not that they didn't want guild play, they just didn't want to have to be in guild if they didn't feel like it
  • ThelricThelric Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I paid 100 for the cross platform support and still can't play it in my galaxy pro 12.2
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited May 2017
    It's not dumbing down, it's making it more playable, I watched the streams, listened to the feedback, people would have rather played a game that didn't just cater to guilds, they wanted to do their own thing and still be a contributing factor in some fashion. Not that they didn't want guild play, they just didn't want to have to be in guild if they didn't feel like it
    Well, I mainly used the dumbing down vernacular because of how "hard core" Albion's developers and many of their defenders were.  In truth, I agree.  The original iteration of Albion was... not-so-playable for the vast majority of people, so these changes make it more playable.  Although I guess it remains to be seen if it'll be enough.  It didn't take too long for people to begin finding loopholes in Ultima Online as the devs tried to tone down the rampant Pking with various systems (before the no-PvP world Trammel), although to their credit the rampant PKing did decrease a bit each time, even if not as much as the devs wanted it to (and thus they eventually said "Screw it" and came out with the no-PvP worldTrammel).
    [Deleted User]