Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lets get real regarding the graphics in Pantheon

Comments

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Torval said:

It takes a programmer with a special set of skills and education to program physics like that. You're talking about people with masters degrees in linear algebra and astrophysics

Neil deGrasse Tyson to the rescue!

:)
    [Deleted User]
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    DMKano said:
    Graphics are so often the focus here, but are actually of so little importance when it comes to what really matters in the end - gameplay.

hmmmm "maybe'.

I can easily understand why people want certain types of graphics or an art design that resonates with them.

I can tell you that if the game play of a particular game is amazing, friggin' fabulous, best ever, but I don't like the art design, I WILL NEVER PLAY IT.

Ever.

For me I need that other axis.

But to the point, when playing a game like Pantheon, one must understand it's an indy game, it's not going to be super beautiful and slick like a 200 million behemoth of a game.

As long as one can make peace with that and they like the game it shouldn't be a problem.
    I hate the character models in DDO. The rest of the game looks okay. I enjoyed the gameplay, but I hated how the characters look. They're all hideous with horrible skin tones and color palettes. I've tried a couple of times but it drives me crazy after a while. That makes all the other flaws I would have overlooked stand out that much more.
    I agree. The game play is fine but the setting and especially the character models, are horrid.

Turbine just isn't good at that.

True of LotRO as well. Nice environments and horrible character models.

Once of things I dislike about character models is that in many MMOs they have that "oops, I just pooped my pants" expression on their face.
    Sovrath

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Rhoklaw said:
    The best graphics engine is your brain. Try using your imagination instead of depending on eye candy.
    While it may sound funny, it actually is sort of true for me. I still play games from 90's (xcom, might & magic 6,..) and I do not mind the graphic at all. I think it is because they leave some space for imagination.
    I gave you an awesome just for Might & Magic 6, I played that game religiously back in the day.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112

genaknosc said:
    I don't know why anybody bothers to post anything remotely critical here. The Pantheon backers are like cultists lol

At this moment there's a massive chance that those backing Pantheon will actually have a game vs. the Ashes backers. That's a fact.

So, probabilities are facts now? Are you in the Trump School of Rhetoric?
    [Deleted User]DistopiaPottedPlant22
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Most engines can handle hi res textures or at least ones that look great.Physics is all up to what the developer is doing.Example characters in games,most are low end poly counts,most characters shoulders look like they are on a pinwheel and run like they are a stiff robot.

Devs are severely limiting the quality of characters because it would lag a lot of machines and ask the dev to do too much graphics tweaking,in other words,they can escape effort by going low end characters.
    However lets not point at Pantheon,name one MMORPG game that is doing it better?

Personally i don't even care much about the player model,i prefer to look at the gear that covers 90% of our character and i want lots of gear choices.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited May 2017
    I personally WOULD like to shutdown ANy type of combat or movement that just looks silly to ridiculous.I think over many games that turned me right off with silly ideas like scooting in charge mode fro ma far which many games allowed warriors or tanks to do.

Another really brutal peeve is when i see backflips and spin o rama's .aka BDO.that stuff is just total nonsense.

We have brains and we have common sense,when i see ideas that don't use either it turns me off.

What really lured me into Pantheon was NOT silliness but when Brad said he was aiming for a game "that made sense" and that is exactly what i am looking for as well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    DMKano said:
    Graphics are so often the focus here, but are actually of so little importance when it comes to what really matters in the end - gameplay.

hmmmm "maybe'.

I can easily understand why people want certain types of graphics or an art design that resonates with them.

I can tell you that if the game play of a particular game is amazing, friggin' fabulous, best ever, but I don't like the art design, I WILL NEVER PLAY IT.

Ever.

For me I need that other axis.

But to the point, when playing a game like Pantheon, one must understand it's an indy game, it's not going to be super beautiful and slick like a 200 million behemoth of a game.

As long as one can make peace with that and they like the game it shouldn't be a problem.
    I hate the character models in DDO. The rest of the game looks okay. I enjoyed the gameplay, but I hated how the characters look. They're all hideous with horrible skin tones and color palettes. I've tried a couple of times but it drives me crazy after a while. That makes all the other flaws I would have overlooked stand out that much more.
    I agree. The game play is fine but the setting and especially the character models, are horrid.

Turbine just isn't good at that.

True of LotRO as well. Nice environments and horrible character models.

Once of things I dislike about character models is that in many MMOs they have that "oops, I just pooped my pants" expression on their face.
    And for some reason, in Western developed games, they never get hair "right".
    [Deleted User]postlarval
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    edited May 2017
    DMKano said:

The ________ was/were so addictive, I simply could not log off.
    a) pie
    b) graphics
    c) cash shop
    d) gameplay

B, graphics, said no one ever.
    [Deleted User]Wellspring[Deleted User]

Wizardry said:
    I personally WOULD like to shutdown ANy type of combat or movement that just looks silly to ridiculous.I think over many games that turned me right off with silly ideas like scooting in charge mode fro ma far which many games allowed warriors or tanks to do.

Another really brutal peeve is when i see backflips and spin o rama's .aka BDO.that stuff is just total nonsense.

We have brains and we have common sense,when i see ideas that don't use either it turns me off.

What really lured me into Pantheon was NOT silliness but when Brad said he was aiming for a game "that made sense" and that is exactly what i am looking for as well.
    yeah but Wizardry you aren't taking into account that not every game is trying to be "realistic".

I mean, you might as well say Wuxia movies are crap because the character's fly. Well "duh" that's the whole point.

And if that is an issue then any movie with any fantasy element must also be stopped. No magic, no fantasy races, etc.

For some reason in your mind you think everything needs realism. I mean "heck" you have been a Final Fantasy fan. I can tell you that I know people who would say that was nonsense because of "Cat People" (and a lot of other things).

[Deleted User]Gaendric[Deleted User]

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
    What's wrong with the graphics? Saying they are "dated" is a narrow minded opinion that should be dismissed. I'm still enjoying Chrono Trigger on the SNES even after nearly 20 years of it's release and the graphics don't mind me at all.  Talking about graphics is a waste of time, WoW and Minecraft would of been dead right now if graphics were all that important, yet people think they know the business of gaming, come on these forums and post about graphics on certain games being crappy?  News flash, Ashes of Creation and Crowfall, just like ArcheAge, will be forgotten with barely no one playing em' 90 days after release.  700+ MMORPG's on the market right now at a growth rate of 20 MMO's per year, no new game will do a damn difference in the market for the next 10 years. What's so special about the new releases that will out do what we currently got? Graphics? Good luck with that thought process. Pantheon, like every other future release, with dated graphics or not will just be another grain of sand in what's already a pretty vast desert that will simply be played by the "loyal" users that apparently never played a MMORPG in their lives.  

The MMORPG world is in a state of denial right now, it's been pushed to it's limits but people still believe a Dev group can deliver? They might deliver for YOU, but you'll feel pretty lonely in a vast MMO with almost no one playing it. WoW and FF14 (P2P by the way...) are holding the biggest chunk of player base as far as MMORPG's go. So until both of them shuts down for good, any new release won't do anything, we'll always have those fanbois trying to push their new release saying how "awesome" or how much it's going to "kill WoW", but fail to admit that they are "fanbois" because they got banned from WoW and/or FF14 to begin with, but hey, that's none of my business.

If you want a sweet gaming experience with "sweet graphics", then go play a standalone game. Sweet graphics + MMO don't mix, unless you're FF14, but that's normal since SE has got all the money in the world. Pantheon, Crowfall, Ashes, have no where near the budget of SE, so expect cuts in either graphics OR game play OR in most Asian made games a cut in both. And from what I experienced since 2011, games with realistic graphics end up being booooooooring as hell.    

P.S: If graphics were at all that important, Devs and Pubs wouldn't be putting all their efforts on mobile games, which is currently generating billions in revenue per year. 
    GdemamiHawkaya399
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited May 2017
    Launching a game that for the most part only works on a state of the art graphics card - I already saw that movie and what can happen.

I still say the graphics in Pantheon are good enough as is. If they want to add a few more sparklies, that is always nice. Mor sparklies, mor!

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Launching a game that for the most part only works on a state of the art graphics card - I already saw that movie and what can happen.

I still say the graphics in Pantheon are good enough as is. If they want to add a few more sparklies, that is always nice. Mor sparklies, mor!
    I'm all for it. IF a company wants to make a game that only launches on the best equipment then that's fine as long as they know that their player base will be small.

Remember, Everquest required one to actually buy a graphics card, something that other games never required. And people bought one.
    [Deleted User]svannGdemami[Deleted User]

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    DMKano said:

On personal terms sure, but there is something to be said about first impressions though. Which graphics are one of the key features in that regard. A pretty game is simply more likely to attract a second look. 

It should also be said state of the art graphics aren't the be all end all in that respect, Art style itself can do a lot for a game in attracting attention, while still keeping the system requirements on the lower spectrum. 

[Deleted User]

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SynbolicSynbolic Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I just saw a clip on youtube of this game. Yes it's graphics are bad compared to some ohter mmorpg's. These days a game must have both - graphics and gameplay to attract big numbers of players. There's NO WAY a game that looks like it's been out for 15 years is gonna get big sales on release nowadays especially when people know what is possible in regards to graphics now.
    Clearly there are people who don't care at all about looks and that's fine, but that's a small amount of people let's be honest. Maybe it's an amazing game with incredibly fun content and gameplay, but it LOOKS BAD for a game of 2017 therefore many people won't even give it a chance.
    If WoW released tomorrow as it did in 2004 (?) it wouldn't be as popular.

@LeGrosGamer
    Speak for yourself, just because you found a game boring doesn't mean that's the case for everyone. I ran GW2 on very high/ultra and the graphics are really, really good, definitely in the top 5 when it comes to mmorpg's graphics imo. And the game itself ? Amazing, by far the best mmorpg I've ever played, nearly perfect for me...that's why I played it for nearly 1.5 years and achieved just about everything on that game within WvW/PvP and PvE and called it quits. Been waiting for a good graphics+gameplay mmorpg since then.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I just want the graphics and UI to be better than EQ1 and offer some of the same EQ1 type features.  It is offering something other MMO's are not offering.  I can stomach the poor gfx due to the unavailable gameplay features.  If people are finding things they like in the MMO's post EQ1, then they have the luxury of complaining about poor gfx as they are already happy with their linear quest hub themeparks.
    Nyctelios said:
    I have a problem with their material library and global light settings. Makes most of things like stone, masonry and metal look like plastic.
    I can certainly see that as well. while like I said earlier I think the graphics are fine for the type of game and audience. The critique I'd throw at it is it's just very basic in terms of artistic style. While some of the models look a bit better than that. There's still no real style on display. I don't mean in a cartoony sense, I mean in a way that sets it apart.  

A good example of that critique would be modern TES games VS Morrowind. There was so much character and imagination in the art on display in the latter. It's also what sets old school FX apart from new school in film. The character and imagination is lost in a lot of respects, in favor of "realism". It's also simply more cost/time effective to animate CGI, than it is to go with stop-motion or extensive robotics.. 

I'm actually surprised they didn't go with a bit more of an "artistic" approach, rather than relying on the more costly approach of relying on a GFX engine. Indies usually do better with the former approach.  

[Deleted User]

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    genaknosc said:

genaknosc said:
    I don't know why anybody bothers to post anything remotely critical here. The Pantheon backers are like cultists lol

At this moment there's a massive chance that those backing Pantheon will actually have a game vs. the Ashes backers. That's a fact.

So, probabilities are facts now? Are you in the Trump School of Rhetoric?
    You need to reread what I wrote and then read what you wrote again.  Feel free to ask someone else to explain it to you if you still don't get it.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I think the game looks pretty darn good. There world looks good and animations are improving pretty quickly. Just in a years time there has been big strides.
  • Risc1911Risc1911 Member Posts: 78
    Graphics need to be consistent in design and fit the mod and type of game. You can throw all the fancy effects at a game, if the artists are bad it will look bad. 

The game looks a little bland. Maybe they will improve on that.
    Distopia
    “I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.” ― Stanisław Lem

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer,
    the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" ― Derek's Law
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:

There is a divide here.  People who want graphics over gameplay do exist.  They want the money they spent on a bleeding edge system to be justified otherwise they just spent money foolishly!  j/k

Agree with you though:   gameplay >graphics.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Dekarx12Dekarx12 Member UncommonPosts: 380
    Scorchien said:
    game is in alpha .................whats the point here
    exactly this shouldn't even be a thing until the game is at least in beta...

edited May 2017
    Dullahan said:
    DMKano said:

a) pie
    b) graphics
    c) cash shop
    d) gameplay

Abzu
    Honestly, Abzu is graphically mediocre. It's the colorful art style, environmental storytelling, music and other charming non-gameplay elements that really bring it together.

edited May 2017
    Dullahan said:
    Dullahan said:
    DMKano said:

a) pie
    b) graphics
    c) cash shop
    d) gameplay

I'd replace graphics with atmosphere (which graphics/art play a big role in), Which is something that's kept me enthralled with a lot of games. It just wasn't common in older MMOs due to the limitations that were in place. WE can't really use that as an excuse anymore though. 

Nyctelios said:
    Dullahan said:
    Dullahan said:
    DMKano said:

a) pie
    b) graphics
    c) cash shop
    d) gameplay

Abzu
    Honestly, Abzu is graphically mediocre. It's the colorful art style, environmental storytelling, music and other charming non-gameplay elements that really bring it together.
    Color pallet is as much* part of graphics as number of polygons.
    While perhaps technically true, it's not what people are generally referring to when we talk about "graphics". Hence the reason why most older games are considered graphically dated. No amount of color would change that.