Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Week 3 "Sale" announced! Buy tokens for $10 each to add a slot to your Guild or Pop Center !!!

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
Seriously..  wow.

Villager and Guild tokens represent a player's commitment to a settlement or organization. By contributing a token to another player, you're investing in their organization in the same way you would when the game was live by contributing your time to the gathering of resources, the building of structures, or the execution of your duties and responsibilities. This allows your settlement and organization to begin to grow immediately, and will grant your player-community access to our website management tools as soon as they become available.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/19399/part-of-something-noble-and-purposeful?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

PottedPlant22Ramajama

Comments

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    and the winner is?  king of vornair!  his ultimate P2W rant META quashed all the people on the fence that would participate in this contest - now he's a shoe in to collect all the tokens and win entry into world  lore and have a major story event happen in his city.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Just in case the game wasn't quite mind-blowingly P2W before..  now you can spend $10 (up to 3 times for each type of token) to give these to your guild leader or population center leader to get:

Villager Tokens

• Notoriety: Each token a settlement receives increases the notoriety of the settlement. This is an in-game mechanic that factors into the Reputation & Fame system. More notoriety means an increased chance that NPCs will seek out your settlement, and communicate your organization to other PCs and NPCs.
    • Population: Each token increases the population of a settlement by 1, with you, in theory, being at least 1 of those citizens. Population slots unclaimed by player characters will be filled by NPCs.
    • Expansion: An additional parcel of land will be added for every 3-5 tokens, depending on the type of settlement

Guild Tokens

• Notoriety: Each token an organization receives increases the notoriety of the organization. This is an in-game mechanic that factors into the Reputation & Fame system. More notoriety means an increased chance that NPCs will seek out your organization, and communicate your organization to other PCs and NPCs.
    • Research Points: Each token increases the Research Points of a school, or the resources of an organization by a small amount.
    • Expansion: Each 15 tokens grants the organization an additional building or add-on. This can be used to expand an existing establishment, or lay down a new one.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
    Don't forget, this is for a contest for the rest of the month of May!

What's To Win?

In order to celebrate our Kickstarter-versary this month, we are keeping track of all the Tokens contributed through the rest of May. Villager Tokens must be contributed to a player with a Settlement (Mayor title and above), but Organizations could be started by anyone. Each Token is ultimately an entry into a raffle with prizes as follows:

• The winning settlements are guaranteed to have a major story event occur in their settlement!
    • The winning organizations will be written into the lore and history of Elyria as we continue to develop the game!

There will be a set of winners on each server, which we'll announce after Server Selection. So check with your groups and find out who to send those Tokens to - there is a limited amount of Tokens you can contribute and a limited time to contribute in order to be entered into this raffle! Don't miss out! Tokens will still provide their normal benefits during Exposition so, if you haven't decided which town or organization you want to be in yet, there's still plenty of time to search through the offerings and find your comrades.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Oh man, I now know what game SotA whales are going to migrate to when SotA folds!
    blorpykinsSlapshot1188MrMelGibsonAsm0deusRamajamapostlarval
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Every developer knows by now that MMO gamers love to throw buckets of money at them. Can't blame these guys for accepting it. :D

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Will they actually have a player base at the end of all this or just a law suit or several law suits.
    Kumapon

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    *snicker* ....and some people called us "haters" a long time ago when we said this was going to be p2w!

Gdemami

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Not sure how good this game will end up being, but it is pure gold in providing entertainment here in the MMORPG.com  forums.
    Asm0deusSlapshot1188Azaron_NightbladeDakeru

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    The descriptions make this game seem more like those P2W browser/mobile city building games than an MMO.
    Slapshot1188Octagon7711
    edited May 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    The descriptions make this game seem more like those P2W browser/mobile city building games than an MMO.
    Over on the official forums the debate is whether it's better to spend more real money on tokens that make your pop center bigger and with more npc/pc slots or on EP to upgrade the buildings and make stuff better.   So of course the right answer is to spend money making it both bigger AND better!

Pay to Build!
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    Gdemami[Deleted User]

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    WOW really? 
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited May 2017
    I cannot believe there is an actual demand for this.
    Idk if there is anymore. Seems like more and more people are now seeing the game's p2w issues. 

You can always look at the money. 

During their month of sales, the pledged total is still at $2.6 million. Which idk if anyone has been tracking their funding progress per month, but I'm pretty sure it's been at the $2.6 million range since at least April. 

For a big anniversary sale, you'd think now would be as good a time as any for the whales to spend a lot of money...

Gdemami
    --------------------------------------------
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    There was this thing in the villages in Malaysia where I come from. I come from a very rural state in Malaysia and they used have this system among the housewives called ''Kutu". 6 housewives get together and each puts 500 Ringgit in a pool. Everyone draws a number and the one who get the first number gets to use the whole amount first than for 6 months each person will be able to use the whole 3000 Ringgit but the first person has to put in the money in every month even after they have taken the share first. It is based on trust plus no interest and allows these housewives to buy things they would normally not be able to. See they are neighbours and if anyone stops paying they can see immediate consequences as they are all from the same village.

How do people give money constantly like this to companies to people they essentially cannot even hold accountable. How do you reconcile normal caution with what you see before you. I just find it so strange that people do not even think or have any expectations  and ignore what is before them. 
    Octagon7711holdenfive
    Chamber of Chains
  • ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    If there is any justice, this will end up launching as a browser game.
    edited May 2017
    Idk if there is anymore. Seems like more and more people are now seeing the game's p2w issues. 

You can always look at the money. 

During their month of sales, the pledged total is still at $2.6 million. Which idk if anyone has been tracking their funding progress per month, but I'm pretty sure it's been at the $2.6 million range since at least April. 

For a big anniversary sale, you'd think now would be as good a time as any for the whales to spend a lot of money...

Well as @Slapshot1188 said in his post, the discussion at the official forum indicates that there most likely still is a demand.

Hard to say if the total pledged is being updated regularly.

Anyway, the project is becoming rather hilarious from my point of view. I would not touch this, but to each their own.

If there was a finished game and it was great, I would understand that people spend their money on it, but there is no game.
    I'm not sure if the $2.6M total is updated.  My guess is that it probably is a week or two behind and that it will go up from the sales.  This group really loves being able to buy their in game advantages.   I do think there is a demand for this, but the demand is from the same backers.  There were 10,700 backers at Kickstarter and I think that is pretty much the same number at the 1st anniversary sale.  Sure some new folks pop in and plop down $1k every so often but I would actually guess that a bigger chunk of those 10k gave up already.  As Caspien said, they are looking for a minimum of 200,000 players.  They need 20x their current amount.  I don't even think the greatest fan can say they believe that is going to happen...

And when these mythical 190,000 new players do not show up... and all the existing players have pre-paid for game time that will last years.  Where does the money come from?

[Deleted User]GdemamiKyleran

• RamajamaRamajama Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Thanks OP for the updates. This project is becoming the king of P2W and makes sure it ups the ante at every corner  :D
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited May 2017

I'm not sure if the $2.6M total is updated.  My guess is that it probably is a week or two behind and that it will go up from the sales.  This group really loves being able to buy their in game advantages.   I do think there is a demand for this, but the demand is from the same backers.  There were 10,700 backers at Kickstarter and I think that is pretty much the same number at the 1st anniversary sale.  Sure some new folks pop in and plop down $1k every so often but I would actually guess that a bigger chunk of those 10k gave up already.  As Caspien said, they are looking for a minimum of 200,000 players.  They need 20x their current amount.  I don't even think the greatest fan can say they believe that is going to happen...

And when these mythical 190,000 new players do not show up... and all the existing players have pre-paid for game time that will last years.  Where does the money come from?

Especially true when you remember that these 190,000 additional players are supposed to join after the game has been live for 3 months.

For an MMO to increase their population 20x three months after the servers become persistent almost never happens. It's more likely for an MMO to lose 19/20 of their  original launch players.
    --------------------------------------------
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Oh man, I now know what game SotA whales are going to migrate to when SotA folds!
    You got that right!

Their resident article writing shill is going to have a hard time adding another game, now that he's bought his way into writing fluff marketing pieces for Crowfall to his routine. The $10k pledge should buy him that privilege I would think. 

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    The average player doesn't do their research. They read the features, and they buy the game if it sounds/looks good. They might very much regret the purchase once they get to know the systems involved better.

And the ones shoveling out $1000+ on Kickstarters are generally the player type that love to pay for advantages (wallet warriors), so this game probably becomes more and more appealing to them. On other games they had to rely on RMTs, and risk their accounts for those perks, here they can just outright do it.
    Gdemami

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    This game is going to become an interesting test of how big the pay for advantage player base really is.

As they've stated they won't be selling any of these advantages post "build" phase they believe they can appeal to the "190K."

I think their error is in not going full monty on the P2A aspects both before and after and see how big of an audience a game which embraces it along with RMT really is.

Entropa manages to thrive on an audience which understands what it is, I think this game might be able to do so too.

They won't need 190K players if the player base is willing to spend more on the game as typical.

Using EVE as an example, I was one player paying for 6 accounts and even with my discount for annual subs I was giving CCP about $780 a year. (I kept my ISK)

I was by no means in the minority nor one of the larger whales, one corp mate flew 35 accounts/ships at a time.  

Even if he PLEXED all of them someone, somewhere was paying CCP up to $20 a month x 35 to buy the PLEX to support the whale.

It's one reason why CCP was able to report record revenues despite clearly seeing the number of paid accounts drop by 40% or so.
    Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Kyleran said:
    This game is going to become an interesting test of how big the pay for advantage player base really is.
    I'd say it's the last leg of an ongoing test that started with Shroud of the Avatar and it's $16k pledges, through Star Citizen (a bargain at $15k...take that, Garriott!!!), and the veritable bargain basement of Chronicles of Elyria at $10k. Add into it the ridiculous cash shops and the test is complete.

Self-absorbed players with more money than sense are the new target audience.
    Gdemami

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Kyleran said:
    If I recall correctly, several MMO companies have reported figures about 5% of their player base providing 95% of the revenue, and 1% of the playerbase providing 99% of the revenue.

So "how big the pay for advantage player base is" basically equates to 1% of the population for super whales, and 5% of the population for general whales.

And the ones in CoE are probably loving every minute of it.  ...well, the ones that aren't worried there'll be no sheep for them to feed on (that 95-99%) at this rate, at least.
    KyleranSlapshot1188