Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confirmed for Release Via the Blizzard Launcher - Destiny 2 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageConfirmed for Release Via the Blizzard Launcher - Destiny 2 - MMORPG.com

Destiny 2 News - During the Destiny 2 game play reveal event, Bungie announced that the PC version of the game will be available exclusively on the Blizzard Launcher, not Steam as many had predicted. The announcement was made by Blizzard's Mike Morhaime.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

laserit

Comments

• Kunai_VaxKunai_Vax Member RarePosts: 527
    edited May 2017
    Destiny characters coming to Heroes of the storm? Could it happen ?
    IceAgeXingbairongNoxeronmetareal

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Very strange, but very awesome. I wonder if we'll see some Destiny leak into Overwatch designs or Heroes of the Storm.
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    edited May 2017
    I'm so glad they did this. I only use steam for games that I know I will play for a short period of time. All the other games that I play daily either have their own launcher or on blizzard launcher. I already played Destiny for hundreds of hours on my ps4. So I know it won't be different with this one too.
    IceAgeJeroKaneNoxeron
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    I would prefer that it be on Steam, but the partnership makes perfect sense. Guess i'll have to download the blizz launcher again.
    KalebGraysonbartoni33

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    I don't know what to make of this
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Activision - Blizzard? Corporate giants? It makes more sense to use a launcher that is specific to AB's games than to get lost in the massive pile of games on Steam.
    Nepheth[Deleted User]PottedPlant22Scott_JeslisJeroKaneScotchUpbartoni33NoxeronElvocWraithone

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    I actually wondered about when Blizzard would do it - adding Activision games - it just a few days ago.

Though ironically, they renamed it to "Blizzard App" only recently, instead of using the more general "Battle.net" or something completely else.
    metareal

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

No doubt the Launcher will also be used to promote Blizzy's other games...

Every time you open the launcher to play Destiny, you'll probably see special offers for WoW, Overwatch, etc.
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    And so it begins
    forcelima
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    SBFord said:
    Activision - Blizzard? Corporate giants? It makes more sense to use a launcher that is specific to AB's games than to get lost in the massive pile of games on Steam.
    While I agree with you completely on this point, I wonder what considerations this means (if any) in terms of content?  If there's something that is deemed objectionable or too mature, would this be a problem for Blizzard hosting the game on their client?

However I don't think this will be an issue because Blizzard and Bungie just seems like such a natural fit to me for some reason.  Both excellent companies that have put out some great products.  Although I will say that the initial campaign of Destiny was too short for me and unfinished... so that was annoying.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    It makes perfect sense.
    I am also glad they are making D2 for PC as I gave up on Consoles and I really wanted to try Destiny.

Alomar

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    If you read the FAQ in the main article, they are only using it as a launcher. Servers and Customer Service stuff will still be all Bungie.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I don't mind this. I am actually getting sick of loading up steam to see the list of games I've wasted money on!
    XingbairongViper482KyleranWraithone

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Good news, 

I do not care for STEAM.
    Kyleran
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited May 2017
    Margrave said:
    And so it begins
    Babylon 5 one of my all time favourite shows. Absolute favourite was Farscape but this was close.
    Chamber of Chains
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    Personally quite happy with this decision. What's more I like the idea that we will be able to use the Blizzard Balance to buy the game.
    Haven't played Destiny 1, but only because I'm not a console player. Other than that this game has been on my rader since it came out. Can't wait.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Well, Blizzards launcher is my second favorite behind Steam, and one sure to be on my PC, so fair enough. And I do get them not wanting to pay Valve Tax on their game when an obvious alternative exists.
  • BukkerzBukkerz Member UncommonPosts: 177
    I thought that with Destiny 2 being a completely new game that Blizzard may have been involved. More than a little Titan in the Destiny franchise going forward I imagine. Yes Overwatch was created by a bored Titan team 'jamming' session ...... but I imagine there being many other sugar coated assets in the 200 Million dollar larder.

I would say that Destiny 2 has gained even more kudos by this move. Certainly it makes sense taking it away from Steam ....but having personally utilized and enjoyed the Blizzard 'Battlenet' Launcher since the mid 1990's and enjoyed the offerings has convinced me even more that the first game was just a prototype run for the 'proper' MMO one we may possibly be just about to get.

Also it suggests that Destiny will be enrolled into Blizzcon 2017 .... may sound crazy .... but it would fill the missing gap and pull back all those funds that were once thrown at a mystery science fiction MMO .......Next Chris Metzen will come out of retirement as the Budgie Creative Liaise and may be invited onto the Anaheim stage once more ....

all very cool in my book and great news ....
    metareal
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

SBFord said:

I doubt that's the reason. The main reason any video game publisher avoids Steam unless with great reason is because they take cuts from sales. So in essence, if they were to put it on steam they'd lose some profits. Take to account also that putting it on the blizzard launcher will lure Destiny 2 consumers to their other video game products and vice versa. That's why, if I am to assume.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Torval said:
    SBFord said:
    Makes sense when you think through it. Why give Valve a 30% cut of the release profits when you don't have to.

Blizzard publishes nothing with Valve and outside of CoD most Activision titles are old and on GoG as well as Steam.

Bungie has a 10 year publishing deal with Activision that is structured similarly to EAs dev coop program. Bungie owns the rights to their own IPs now (learned their lesson with Halo) so if Blizzard wants to incorporate Destiny heroes into their own IPs then they'll probably have to pay a licensing royalty, but totally possible. It's possible for Blizzard to license those now and they haven't. Launching through the Blizzard Launcher won't automatically open those doors, though it may provide incentive for a cross IP licensing deal.
    Agreed

But I'd be surprised if Activision or any other big publisher for that matter hasn't negotiated a smaller commission than 30%
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    WoW token price jumped by 13k gold since the announcement. Up to 125k gold per token now.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited May 2017
    Forgrimm said:
    WoW token price jumped by 13k gold since the announcement. Up to 125k gold per token now.
    lol so glad I hoarded up earlier last month before my sub lapsed. At least I have something to buy with the blizzard balance though
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    edited May 2017
    Hate Bnet immediately canceled my PC pre-order on Amazon soon as they said it, back to PS4 : (
    Nepheth7SilentNightsforcelimabartoni33XophMightyUnclean
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

laserit said:

Torval said:

SBFord said:

Makes sense when you think through it. Why give Valve a 30% cut of the release profits when you don't have to.

Blizzard publishes nothing with Valve and outside of CoD most Activision titles are old and on GoG as well as Steam.

Bungie has a 10 year publishing deal with Activision that is structured similarly to EAs dev coop program. Bungie owns the rights to their own IPs now (learned their lesson with Halo) so if Blizzard wants to incorporate Destiny heroes into their own IPs then they'll probably have to pay a licensing royalty, but totally possible. It's possible for Blizzard to license those now and they haven't. Launching through the Blizzard Launcher won't automatically open those doors, though it may provide incentive for a cross IP licensing deal.

Agreed

But I'd be surprised if Activision or any other big publisher for that matter hasn't negotiated a smaller commission than 30%

To be fair to Steam however a large chunk of the "30%" is tax that Steam as the seller collect and pass on accordingly. So if tax is 20% say in your country the Blizzard launcher will also collect 20%.

And the Steam % probably varies depending on whether Steam are hosting the game or not.

There will be a % that Steam, as the seller, collect though and by using the Blizzard launcher this % will go to A-B / Bungie. Same deal with EA Origin and Ubisoft UPlay.

Other advantages:
    - as mentioned there is also the ability to promote other games;
    - signing up new users / potential customers.
    laserit
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    now we know why titan was scrapped.
    MMOExposedKaneth