Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early Access games already in persistence...

blorpykinsblorpykins Member RarePosts: 466
If you were following a MMORPG in early access AND it was already persistent, would you keep following it and wait for commercial launch or start playing now?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    If the game was very attractive in a way that brought something to the table that I found intresting (instead of some talking head hyper boy on gamespot telling me I should be).

I play early access games and really the only downside is that you can loose all your work after a major update, however major update is usually just that, major and often contains new toys to try out anyway

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    If you were following a MMORPG in early access AND it was already persistent, would you keep following it and wait for commercial launch or start playing now?
    Depends on wipes for me. I've got plenty of games to play that won't wipe my progress :)
    [Deleted User]

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    edited May 2017
    Depends if the game is like this:

Bild knnte enthalten Essen und Text

Start playing now if its the "Then" category.

Have fun
    waynejr2AsheramblorpykinsZombieCat[Deleted User]DistopiaAgent_Joseph[Deleted User]TsiyaNildenand 3 others.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    Usually MMO's will be ruled by wipes before release, and play them before the release means more checking things out than ever play them seriously.

So, you I would poke around before release but never dedicate much time until it releases and the real thing begins.
    blorpykinsKyleran
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    although that is funny and clever I have to say I really get tired of all these 'good ol days' points.
    The old days where never that great
    ManWithNoTanKyleranMightyUnclean[Deleted User]

• TekmonTekmon Member UncommonPosts: 28
    edited May 2017
    I bought into Albion and Gloria Victis and both are early access but I really enjoy both games. I say if you think you will enjoy the game as it is now then go for it. If you are only buying into it for what it may be later perhaps wait.

Albion Online is not persistent yet, but i've got my moneys worth of quality entertainment just with the alpha/beta phases.  

I think early access games that are truly persistent are being very dishonest to their customers.  They simply released and launched a game way too early and are abusing the label of "early access".  Personally I hope the early access label becomes of dirty word and stops being used.
    Post edited by Tekmon on
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Erillion said:

Have fun

Lol, that doesn't really represent EA though. EA would be more like you eat the bun, tomato and cheese right now and by the time the burger is done you're really not interested in a burger anymore. 
    ShaighGaendricManWithNoTan

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

Lol, that doesn't really represent EA though. EA would be more like you eat the bun, tomato and cheese right now and by the time the burger is done you're really not interested in a burger anymore. 
    that is a lot like Electronic Arts good point

SEANMCAD said:

In Star Wars Galaxies they were. ;-)

Have fun
    ManWithNoTanDistopiaTalonsin
    Erillion said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Have fun
    I didnt play that game but I can tell you currently there are very rich and deep game play out there with better graphics.

They just dont have the AAA fanboy seal of approval so one has to be willing to step outside of that box
    ManWithNoTanKyleran

SEANMCAD said:
    Erillion said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Have fun
    I didnt play that game but I can tell you currently there are very rich and deep game play out there with better graphics.

They just dont have the AAA fanboy seal of approval so one has to be willing to step outside of that box
    What games would you recommend that are:

a) sci fi

b) sandbox

c) free profession progression (you can mix and match professions)

d) have vehicle combat, perhaps even space vehicle combat (NOT rail shooters)

e) have social professions (dancer and musician where you can create unique works of art and jam together in a group with different instruments)

f) have a deep crafting system where one can create unique items that show that you are the creator and it does make a difference if you know what you are doing

So far i have not yet found such a game amongst the newer games, but i would be very happy if you can point me to such a game. I know that some are in development that attempt to do that (e.g. The Repopulation and Star Citizen).

Have fun

Tsiya
    edited May 2017
    Erillion said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Erillion said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Have fun

What games would you recommend that are:

a) sci fi

b) sandbox

c) free profession progression (you can mix and match professions)

d) have vehicle combat, perhaps even space vehicle combat (NOT rail shooters)

e) have social professions (dancer and musician where you can create unique works of art and jam together in a group with different instruments)

f) have a deep crafting system where one can create unique items that show that you are the creator and it does make a difference if you know what you are doing

So far i have not yet found such a game amongst the newer games, but i would be very happy if you can point me to such a game. I know that some are in development that attempt to do that (e.g. The Repopulation and Star Citizen).

Have fun

yes I would say Repopulation but here is the thing.

, if you take out 'dancing' and 'sci fi' from your strick requirements the pool explodes with options.

I dont honestly think you are lamenting the old days because of dancing or even for that matter sci fi. I think your lamenting for other reasons but we most likely shouldnt go down that road.
    I think your hell bent on playing the vicitim here and I doubt there is anything I can say that woudl change that.

but I will say on average the aviablity for deep and compelling game play is better now then it ever has been in the past. IF you are willing to play early access, otherwise you will just have to wait
    Ramajama

Torval said:
    Tekmon said:
    I bought into Albion and Gloria Victis and both are early access but I really enjoy both games. I say if you think you will enjoy the game as it is now then go for it. If you are only buying into it for what it may be later perhaps wait.

Albion Online is not persistent yet, but i've got my moneys worth of quality entertainment just with the man alpha/beta phases.  

I think early access games that are truly persistent are being very dishonest to their customers.  They simply released and launched a game way too early and are abusing the label of "early access".  Personally I hope the early access label because of dirty word and stops being used.
    Would you be happier if they dropped the label and left bugs in, systems incomplete, changed systems radically because they want or need to, and schedule a surprise wipe because it needs to happen? Because that's what early access or pre-launch labels are trying to communicate.

How pissed off do you imagine gamers would get if their progress gets wiped or their class gets a revamp without notice.

EA is there to tell you "things could happen". They can plan on never wiping. They can plan on not changing anything. But EA means they're not sure. Google Mail stayed in beta for years. It was fully functional and people used it for business. It changed radically in the time from open beta acces to the removal of the label.
    yes I would.

let me explain why.

Option 1 (non early access) game: character runs out into the forest, kills mobs, returns, puts stuff in chest, runs out to the same spot, kills mobs, returns. NOTHING else, repeat for hours, days, years even

Option 2 (early access game): Build a space ship block by block to my design, fly it with physics, build a factory to supply my needs, build a cargo vechile to move things around, farm for food, and on and on and on.

Yeah I would take a buggy mess option 2 over clean option 1.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    SEANMCAD said:
    yes I would.

let me explain why.

Option 1 (non early access) game: character runs out into the forest, kills mobs, returns, puts stuff in chest, runs out to the same spot, kills mobs, returns. NOTHING else, repeat for hours, days, years even

Option 2 (early access game): Build a space ship block by block to my design, fly it with physics, build a factory to supply my needs, build a cargo vechile to move things around, farm for food, and on and on and on.

Yeah I would take a buggy mess option 2 over clean option 1.
    Would play Empyrion, but is no such MMO. There's very few within any persistent nature.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    The prospect of a future wipe is not the reason why I tend to avoid early access games.  If it's polished enough to be a released game but they're just calling it early access for whatever reason, then maybe I'll play it.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    It depends on the type of game...A game like Star Citizen? I feel I will be so far behind the EA people that there is really no point in playing....so many of these games allow access so early that they will have years of experience on the rest of us by the time the game releases.
    >>>I think your lamenting for other reasons but we most likely shouldnt go down that road.>>

?

>>>I think your hell bent on playing the vicitim here>>>

?

>>>IF you are willing to play early access, otherwise you will just have to wait >>>

Here we agree. The current up and running games do not give me what i am looking for (and i play(ed) them a lot ... 20+ MMOs, often with lifetime accounts) - it is the games in development where i have high hopes. I support over a dozen in-development-projects at this time.

Have fun

edited May 2017
    Erillion said:
    >>>I think your lamenting for other reasons but we most likely shouldnt go down that road.>>

?

?

>>>IF you are willing to play early access, otherwise you will just have to wait >>>

Here we agree. The current up and running games do not give me what i am looking for (and i play(ed) them a lot ... 20+ MMOs, often with lifetime accounts) - it is the games in development where i have high hopes. I support over a dozen in-development-projects at this time.

Have fun

'up and coming' 

that is what Early Access is. I am not clear, what I am saying is 'if you are not willing to play early access (from your statement I am not clear if you are or are not) then you will have to wait'

SEANMCAD said:
    Erillion said:

?

?

Have fun

'up and coming' 

that is what Early Access is. I am not clear, what I am saying is 'if you are not willing to play early access (from your statement I am not clear if you are or are not) then you will have to wait'
    I am playing a few Early Access / Alpha / Beta games. But its only a handful.

In general i tend to wait until a game is finished, tested and polished.

Have fun
    edited May 2017
    Erillion said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Erillion said:

?

?

Have fun

'up and coming' 

I am playing a few Early Access / Alpha / Beta games. But its only a handful.

In general i tend to wait until a game is finished, tested and polished.

Have fun
    so what I am saying then is that the past 2 years or so has offered better variety of compelling game play then any time in this history of the universe.
    So lamenting over the past over one games is being silly.

SEANMCAD said:
    so what I am saying then is that the past 2 years or so has offered better variety of compelling game play then any time in this history of the universe.
    So what i am saying is:

I disagree with this statement --> "that the past 2 years or so has offered better variety of compelling game play then any time in this history of the universe." It is a personal opinion of yours. Not a statement that is necessarily true in general.

A matter of opinion. We seem to have divergent opinions. In my case my opinion is based on extensive experience with old, new and upcoming MMO's and computer games.

You may call it "silly". However, the whole point of the indy and crowdfunding movement was to break the mold of the current type of games created by publishers. These indies often intentionally use older grafical styles ("retro" style, 8-bit style etc.) to focus on excellent gameplay used in older games (e.g. NSCs living their daily lives in Ultima, calling for the police if you steal their bread or the stuff from their chests while they can see you etc.)

What you call "lamenting" is giving a list of things that newer up-and-comin games would benefit from. Things that are rarely found in contemporary games - which are more often than not clones of a small subset of successful computer games (e.g. WoW).

And to come back again to the topic of the thread .... if one has been living a "second life" in such a new game, helping to playtest the game and find bugs .... then i hope the devs honor that dedication by letting the playtesters keep some of the stuff gained during testing (if gained without exploits of course).  Persistence as a reward for helping to make a game great.

Have fun
    Gdemami
    edited May 2017
    Erillion said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    So what i am saying is:

I disagree with this statement --> "that the past 2 years or so has offered better variety of compelling game play then any time in this history of the universe." It is a personal opinion of yours. Not a statement that is necessarily true in general.

I disagree even with that, I think it can be measured and quantified to be accurate. It would take a lot of work but I do think it can be prooven as factual and not opinion. BUT..with that said, I am personally convinced that it wouldnt matter to you, you want to lament the past and live as a victim.

EDIT: I should add that my statement on variety work for gaming in general, just if your limited scope is MMOs ONLY.

EDIT 2: I consider a likely position of 'I like dancing in my games and nobody can suggest that any other game feature is more compelling because its a mater of taste' to be dead on 'Special Snowfalkism'. I think suggesting a feature might be more compelling then 'dancing' is something that can be proven, quantified and measured but not easily

SEANMCAD said:
    Erillion said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    So what i am saying is:

I disagree even with that, I think it can be measured and quantified to be accurate. It would take a lot of work but I do think it can be prooven as factual and not opinion. BUT..with that said, I am personally convinced that it wouldnt matter to you, you want to lament the past and live as a victim.

EDIT: I should add that my statement on variety work for gaming in general, just if your limited scope is MMOs ONLY.

EDIT 2: I consider a likely position of 'I like dancing in my games and nobody can suggest that any other game feature is more compelling because its a mater of taste' to be dead on 'Special Snowfalkism'. I think suggesting a feature might be more compelling then 'dancing' is something that can be proven, quantified and measured but not easily
    So .. in summary ...

you cannot be ars.... errmmm.... bothered to back up your statement with facts, disguising your personal opinion as some kind of general truth.

Furthermore you like to pick out one of many listed traits and call anyone calling for such a trait a "special snowflake" and a "victim". Of course all the while ignoring all the other traits listed, many of those being of a more general nature.

RIIIIGHT.

*** slowly backs away from that person, being careful to make no hasty move  ***

Have fun

PS:

Back to the topic of the thread:

I want to amend my statements upthread. The persistence i mentioned should start sometime in mid Beta (or the equivalent of it). Anything before that may still be too much in flux. Too much things and stats and appearance subject to change.

However, these days it is not as easy to discern what phase a game is really in. Many games that spend many years in player-accessible development do not exactly follow the typical pre Alpha --> Alpha --> Beta --> Launch sequence anymore.
    Kyleran
    edited May 2017
    Erillion said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Erillion said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    So what i am saying is:

So .. in summary ...

you cannot be ars.... errmmm.... bothered to back up your statement with facts, 

no...its that I do not have time to argue that its possible that an actual piece of fecees is more compelling to a person then a stake dinner. The position you are trying to take is that 'nothing is ever better than something else' thus you can claim anything you like and pull the 'special snowflake' card. I dont have time to proove that view of the world as wrong.

what I do know is that you want to live in your world view and there is nothing i can do to pull you out of it but i do know your world view is wrong.

that is all I am saying on this subject to you at this time....take care