Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Effect of ping

d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
I'm really tempted to come back. I played original DF from 2008 till it closed and only a month of DFUW.

I'm getting an average of 205ms when I ping the server. I get about 240-260 when I play ESO, which does cause some problems. But you can get used to it even if it sucks. 

Any Aussies or anyone playing from Asia with 200+ ping?  

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    When it comes to PVP, the lower the ping the better, while i can't speak for Darkfall exactly, whatever incarnation you are thinking of playing, in my experience playing CS:GO at least, the closer you are to 40-50 ms ping the better,  you are at a disadvantage even with 100+ ms latency. So back to Darkfall, if you are consistently getting over 240 ms latency then i think you will just have to accept that you will be at a significant disadvantage when it comes to PVP O.o
    d_20
  • FullLootPvpFullLootPvp Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I got from EU around 120 ping, and I'm fine with that, just browsed the forum there are some Australian/Asian players, maybe you could ask them directly how it feels:

https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/lf-aussie-anz-sea-pvp-clan.10230/#post-146644

https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/wtfast-or-similar-service-for-aus-players.10535/#post-154450

and don't forget to signup here ;)

d_20
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited May 2017
    I got from EU around 120 ping, and I'm fine with that, just browsed the forum there are some Australian/Asian players, maybe you could ask them directly how it feels:

https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/lf-aussie-anz-sea-pvp-clan.10230/#post-146644

https://forums.darkfallriseofagon.com/threads/wtfast-or-similar-service-for-aus-players.10535/#post-154450

and don't forget to signup here ;)

Thanks for the info. I've decided to give it go. For ten bucks, it will be worth it just to see the old Agon again.

Last time I played with an Aussie clan and a lot of guys used polearms because of extended reach to compensate for the lag.

Any advice about race and weapon to use for RoA with lag? I think archery is tougher.

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    Yeah, some aussies wrote about ping today on the forums. They say it's not that bad as long as it's around 200 mark.

I play from Sweden with 120 and it's definitely doable. Can't compare Darkfall's 120ms with CSGO 120ms, because that game is unplayable with above 100 ping.
    d_20
    I've rolled a mirdain for skinny hit boxes and decent reach. Will probably go into magic for the splash damage and aoe. 

Thinking also about alfar -- small hit box and good for magic, but also short reach. 

I'm not sure how exactly the racials will work out in RoA compare to original DF, but I've watched a couple of vids on it and it seems like they are working on making all the races viable. 

• ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 271
    edited May 2017
    darkfall is pretty forgiving with ping, but ya lower definitely helps.  I'd echo Jakob and say 200 probably playable with a slight disadvantage, but much higher than that, prob not worth it.  I've been getting very steady ping tho, so hopefully it will work out for ya!  If not, New Dawn is coming out and will probably be London server which might be a little better for you.  Currently New Dawn beta is on a France server.
    Yeah, some aussies wrote about ping today on the forums. They say it's not that bad as long as it's around 200 mark.

I play from Sweden with 120 and it's definitely doable. Can't compare Darkfall's 120ms with CSGO 120ms, because that game is unplayable with above 100 ping.
    When it comes to CS:GO, definitely, i stick to servers where my latency is only around 40 ms, the point i was making was based on the 200+ ms latency, which in any game involving PVP would be a significant hindrance to gameplay, even against other players who had 120 ms latency imo. Though for games that are more PVE focused it really doesn't make that much difference, of course it depends a lot on the game itself, a lot of MMO's have 'windows' for commands where multiple commands entered too quickly result in the second command received within that window to either be delayed, or lost, the example of a game with say a 100 ms window for actions/commands and 2 players one with say 80 ms latency, and the second with a 220 ms latency is that the lower latency player could react much faster to encounters than the high latency player, in a game like CS:GO they could be killed without ever seeing their attacker, in other less fast paced games, it would likely mean that the 'initiative' was heavily in favour of the low latency player, and thats just for 100 ms, i think for a lot of games that 'window' is actually much shorter. :|
    ubermut said:
    darkfall is pretty forgiving with ping, but ya lower definitely helps.  I'd echo Jakob and say 200 probably playable with a slight disadvantage, but much higher than that, prob not worth it.  I've been getting very steady ping tho, so hopefully it will work out for ya!  If not, New Dawn is coming out and will probably be London server which might be a little better for you.  Currently New Dawn beta is on a France server.
    Europe servers are generally worse from East Asia. EU usually pings around 400-500.  West coast NA is best when it's available.

d_20 said:
    ubermut said:
    Europe servers are generally worse from East Asia. EU usually pings around 400-500.  West coast NA is best when it's available.
    To have 400  500 ms latency i think there are probably other factors involved rather than just distance :s
    d_20
    True. I think it has to do with the way it's routed there across various territories versus just a straight across the Pacific route.

d_20 said:
    I've rolled a mirdain for skinny hit boxes and decent reach. Will probably go into magic for the splash damage and aoe.
    sounds like a good choice, how is it going? How is your ping and how does it feel, to let also other australian/asian know...
    About CS, well like others said before, you can't really compare them... I guess if the rpg could carry more ammo and reload faster you could rock with it there also with 300+ ping ;)

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    It had its chance will not be giving them another.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Elsabolts said:
    It had its chance will not be giving them another.
    Not sure how this relates to Asian/Australian Ping, unless thats the reason you quit ;)
    But which one you quit?? You are aware that RoA is a new release just one week old? Doubt that you played this before...
    edited May 2017
    d_20 said:
    sounds like a good choice, how is it going? How is your ping and how does it feel, to let also other australian/asian know...
    About CS, well like others said before, you can't really compare them... I guess if the rpg could carry more ammo and reload faster you could rock with it there also with 300+ ping ;)

So far still fighting goblins, so that's going fine as I get used to the combat. My ping in game is usually around 205-210. It spiked up to 350  one time in about 4 hours of play. Otherwise, good enough for goblins. Not sure how it will be in pvp.

I feel pretty crap in combat and I found that there is a huge difference between R0 and R40 weapons (of course). I forgot about all that stuff, so I'm actually re-learning the game. I need to get on crafting pretty quick. I'm still in a wait-and-see mode regarding ping. If I decide to keep playing, I will start looking for a clan.

But I'm having fun in good old Agon. I missed it. It looks a bit dated, but the world is huge and I love knowing I can build a boat and go off exploring wherever I want. Of all games, this one gives me the greatest sense of adventure.
    FullLootPvp

Cool, thx for sharing, so happy goblin hunting then ;)
    on the official forums, there is also a thread for new player expierience, since you forgot everything, your feedback may be helpful there as well...
    i played already a bit in beta so it wasn't that new for me and i had to to refresh my memories, but so many things changed and improved... and about adventures... yes its the only game that gives you this feeling, i guess beside the environment, a major aspect may be the risk to die ;)
    I discovered my first portal, but didn't try it yet, need to do it though, to learn were it will lead me to ;)
    d_20