Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Online - What’s Your ESO Story? - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I understand the game is a decent game overall compared to most every other game but to me Bethesda/Zeni have never been that good,just average.

I know when a game is done really well because i literally think about playing when i'm at work and can't put it down to get some sleep.Most developers are not making that type of game that really gets me excited,they all seem like ok ideas but nothing heart felt.

The problem with the industry as i see it is we have a thousand really bad to crappy Indie games and that is what we compare the handful of decent games to .Well to me ,just because your game is better than the test of the crap doesn't make it good enough.
    By good enough,i mean ,i KNOW what developers are capable of delivering but everything seems like a money grab for very little in return.It is like devs feel ok we will just give them enough to sell this next dlc but not too much so we can sell them the rest next dlc.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Bill, I agree with you on this one.

The Good: I love this game. I hit CP 183 the other day and haven't even touched the DLC content yet. There is so much to do. Also, TES lore is some of my favorite when it comes to video games or fantasy worlds in general. I like how the game is constantly improving. The devs have overhauled many of the major systems in the game since launch.

The Bad:
    1. I still wish I could swim underwater ... I know it's not a deal breaker but come on! (I am glad Argonians finally got a swim speed increase).
    2. The Group Finder as Bill said has serious issues.
    3. Also, sometimes it gets annoying how quickly the Dark Anchors get completed. Swarms of players insta-killing the anchors gets old if you don't get there in time.
    4. Houses should be able to hold WAY more items. Half of the stuff I can craft for my house won't fit in it, even though it is a large house.

Overall this is still my go to game. I can't wait to see where it goes after Morrowind!
  • LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Bill, I agree with you on this one.

The Good: I love this game. I hit CP 183 the other day and haven't even touched the DLC content yet. There is so much to do. Also, TES lore is some of my favorite when it comes to video games or fantasy worlds in general. I like how the game is constantly improving. The devs have overhauled many of the major systems in the game since launch.

The Bad:
    1. I still wish I could swim underwater ... I know it's not a deal breaker but come on! (I am glad Argonians finally got a swim speed increase).
    2. The Group Finder as Bill said has serious issues.
    3. Also, sometimes it gets annoying how quickly the Dark Anchors get completed. Swarms of players insta-killing the anchors gets old if you don't get there in time.
    4. Houses should be able to hold WAY more items. Half of the stuff I can craft for my house won't fit in it, even though it is a large house.

Overall this is still my go to game. I can't wait to see where it goes after Morrowind!
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    My ESO story, played BETA - hated it.  Wasn't until about 2 months ago that I gave it another shot after watching a few of my brothers and other ESO players game videos.  I am glad that they started to turn the game into an actual TES game instead of trying to continue to make a new DAoC(make no mistake that is exactly what they were trying to do).  I only hope Bethesda keeps aiming to opening the world up, add more PvE content, fix the PC UI, add a bard class, add more Mages/Fighters/Thieves/Assassin quest, and some more sandbox stuff. 

BTW - Thieves and Assassins should get acrobatic and climbing skills.  And where the hell are our torches?!  So many times I wish I had a torch I could use in game(I know they have an emote for one - but come on - just give us torches). It's the little things like not having torches that annoy the bejeezes out of me. :)

This game is good, but it could be so much better.  It wouldn't take much to put it in the "great game" column. 
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    edited May 2017
    TESO has more of what I want from a game than what I can get in other games.  I don't expect a game to be perfect.  That's stupid.  If I wanted to try for perfection then I would start making a game myself.  So my expectations are not crazy ridiculous high like every one else's.  Yes everyone in game is angry about nerfs.  Yes I personally hate that the healer class is not super easy to play.  In this game you have to actually work at being healer and I hate that.  I like being the guy in the very back taking no-doze pills cause my class is boring yeah I kept you all alive cause I can throw out a heal now and again.  That is my kind of healer.  And it pissed me off that zos's idea of "BALANCE" is making my healer unplayable unless I research the best build and still there wont ever be enough magic regen to keep from dying.  So I'm lazy sue me.  But I'm still running around in a game that is full of dark elves and vampires and is graphically appealing (not a kids crayola playground).  I can do public dungeons or role play if I don't want to be stressed out.  No I don't get to be a dragon but I like being a vampire leading people to an alter to be sacrificed for my appetite.  I never got to do that in any game before so I'm enjoying it.  And I like that the game is always growing.  More map to explore yippie!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I have not been able to get a character above the mid twenties.  I have subbed a couple times in this game, but end up canceling before the month is up.  Just cannot get into this game.  The UI is just badly designed, the guild design is dumb.  Probably try again when Morrowind is out.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Wife and I dove into ESO around January-ish. Basically a little bit after Morrowind was announced. I'm a huge fan of the ES series, and the wife has always been curious as to why I love the series overall. With no single player game on the horizon, and much of what I didn't like about the game initially being fixed with One Tamriel, we decided to give it a try.

We are not playing this game like a MMORPG at all, but more like we just have characters in a living world. We've been having fun. We're both ESO+ members, basically for the Crafting Bag alone, but I do love that I don't have to sub if I don't want to. We got Gold Edition, so I don't have to worry about losing access to DLC if we drop +.

My main gripe with the game is the class system. I understand what they were going for, but I'd prefer if each skill line was just something I could level on my own, free of a class system. The weapon system needs to be expanded upon too. More than two morphs for any skill would be nice. An option for one hand+spell offhand would be a neat addition. Allow for some type of specialization into specific weapons too. Being able to switch from Inferno to Lightning staff is nice, but I'd like to be able to further develop into either of those flavors. Frost Staff, since turned into a magicka tanking weapon, definitely needs it's own line to help support that.

I don't ever plan on getting into any type of group PvE content. The community for high end pve, at least from what I've seen on the forums and reddit, is fairly off putting. While content creators are well versed in the game, and typically are pretty helpful. The high end PvE community reminds me way too much of the WoW raiding community. I'm burned out on the elitism that is fostered within those groups. From what I've experienced in game though, the community is pretty helpful and nice. Few trolls in zone chat, but well, what's zone chat without our beloved asshats?

I did delve into under 50 Cyrodil though. Not bad actually. Reminds me of WvW from GW2, with a hint of DAoC flavoring. I think Matt and the team captured the spirit of what I like about RvR style PvP.

Looking forward to Morrowind. Considering GW2 will probably have an expansion before the end of the year, it'll be nice to have two B2P games to dink around in.
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    My story:
    I started playing at release and immediately something didn't click. I played for a little under a month and didn't renew my sub. Perhaps unfairly I was expecting an immersive feeling like I had with Skyrim. I came back a few times over time, but just could not get into the game and engage with it more than a few hours. In all honesty, I really wanted to like this game and have no ill wishes, in fact I want it to be successful because somewhere inside me I hope they can find a way with another game to give me that feeling and experience I had with Skyrim.
    sumdumguy1
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Kaneth said:

Wife and I dove into ESO around January-ish. Basically a little bit after Morrowind was announced. I'm a huge fan of the ES series, and the wife has always been curious as to why I love the series overall. With no single player game on the horizon, and much of what I didn't like about the game initially being fixed with One Tamriel, we decided to give it a try.

We are not playing this game like a MMORPG at all, but more like we just have characters in a living world. We've been having fun. We're both ESO+ members, basically for the Crafting Bag alone, but I do love that I don't have to sub if I don't want to. We got Gold Edition, so I don't have to worry about losing access to DLC if we drop +.

My main gripe with the game is the class system. I understand what they were going for, but I'd prefer if each skill line was just something I could level on my own, free of a class system. The weapon system needs to be expanded upon too. More than two morphs for any skill would be nice. An option for one hand+spell offhand would be a neat addition. Allow for some type of specialization into specific weapons too. Being able to switch from Inferno to Lightning staff is nice, but I'd like to be able to further develop into either of those flavors. Frost Staff, since turned into a magicka tanking weapon, definitely needs it's own line to help support that.

I don't ever plan on getting into any type of group PvE content. The community for high end pve, at least from what I've seen on the forums and reddit, is fairly off putting. While content creators are well versed in the game, and typically are pretty helpful. The high end PvE community reminds me way too much of the WoW raiding community. I'm burned out on the elitism that is fostered within those groups. From what I've experienced in game though, the community is pretty helpful and nice. Few trolls in zone chat, but well, what's zone chat without our beloved asshats?

I did delve into under 50 Cyrodil though. Not bad actually. Reminds me of WvW from GW2, with a hint of DAoC flavoring. I think Matt and the team captured the spirit of what I like about RvR style PvP.

Looking forward to Morrowind. Considering GW2 will probably have an expansion before the end of the year, it'll be nice to have two B2P games to dink around in.

The high-end PVE toxicity, which is definitely there, is really only a raid thing. 4-man dungeons, including their veteran version are not nearly as bad although you will get some there as well.

And the under 50 PVP campaign has always been my favorite but then, I do like leveling alts. Quite a contrast between the much friendlier and inclusive community you find in ESO's under-50 campaign and the toxicity of the raiders... and they say PVPers are the asshats lol.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Thanks Bill and to everyone who posted their feedback. I've been on the fence about giving ESO a try for a long time. I can clearly see there are great things and some crappy things about ESO, but I won't know if the game is for me unless I try it for myself. So I think I'm going to stop dragging my feet on this one and just give it a shot :)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Teala said:

And where the hell are our torches?!  So many times I wish I had a torch I could use in game(I know they have an emote for one - but come on - just give us torches). It's the little things like not having torches that annoy the bejeezes out of me. :)

I actually agree with this. Was playing the other night and thought (because I was playing skyrim earlier) ooo better equip my torch. Then I came back to earth and realized there weren't any torches.

I'd like to have a torch. And I mean "a torch" not just a light that envelopes my character.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    My story is i love the single player games and hate ESO. I hate the classes the game play and the lame ass limited hotbar.
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    edited May 2017
    I was in the beta and played ESO for the first two months right after it launched 2-3 years ago. I stopped playing because I didn't like pay-to-play in that game. It wasn't nearly awesome enough for pay-to-play.

I got back into ESO after I started playing Elder Scrolls Legends a lot. ESL is based on ESO and they have even started giving out rewards like the doom wolf mount in ESO when you complete ESL campaigns. I like ESL because it's like Magic the Gathering in the world of Elder Scrolls.

However, I come to MMOs from Neverwinter Nights persistent multiplayer worlds like Baldur's Gate Online and because of that feel that ESO and other MMOs are still very inferior to the immersive experience that NWN/NWN 2 servers have to offer. The only real hope at the moment for me is Star Citizen. Ashes of Creation and Chronicles of Elyria look interesting too but I don't put too much faith in those projects because they don't seem to have nearly enough funds to reach their ambitious goals.
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• dadowndadown Member UncommonPosts: 210
    I played ESO in beta and couldn't believe how buggy it was when they decided to release it, so there was no way that I was going to subscribe to something that was still beta quality. When it went free-to-play I revisited it and decided that it was worth buying the basic package if there was no monthly cost and I liked that it supported LUA scripting. I was very disappointed at how much the DLLs cost.

The game has a good story line and there is a nice variety in the quests. I do like the flexibility of being able to train whatever weapon you prefer. However, there are numerous flaws that make the game less enjoyable than it could be:
    - there are still serious bugs. I get game crashes just about every week.
    - being limited to only 5 actions per weapon is very restrictive.
    - the auction system implementation is very inefficient. Running all over to find who has the lowest price is a pain.
    - when in a group, you shouldn't have to use travel-to-player to stay in the same instance.
    - crown store items are way overpriced and so are crowns. Why does it cost $15 for 1500 crowns when you get that many crowns for a 1-month subscription?
    - entering a dungeon is excessively slow.
    - why was the jewelry crafting never implemented?
    - why no item storage chest in houses?
    - scaling low level zones up for high level characters is fine. Scaling high level zones down for low level characters takes away half of the feeling of achievement for leveling up. Craglorn is just about as hard at level 5 as it is at level 50. Only champion points start making it easier.

The main reason that I'm currently playing ESO more than LOTRO or GW2 is that my gaming buddies are playing it.
  • GladariGladari Member UncommonPosts: 12
    My story is our story: I was living in Wisconsin and started playing EQOA on the PS2. I joined a guild and met a really great player! He lived in West Virginia. Now I do also! I love playing FRPG and EQOA was one that had co-op gaming, my very favorite. You can learn a lot about someone by playing Co-0p with them. Since then, we have tried FF II, but quit when they killed my Chocobo (I call it "The Chocobo Incident") - I cried and cried! We tried others like Borderlands, which was quite good but I'm not really a first person player. The various versions of Monster Hunter; starting with PS2, WII, then the DS3. We both love Skyrim! Were really excited when it came to XBox One and with mods! Both of us had played Morrowind and Oblivion individually also.

Then came ESO! Wow, MMOFRPG with amazing co-op! It has been 13 years since EQOA and following my heart to West Virginia. Both with beautiful open worlds. Cannot wait for the Morrowind expansion pack.

Things I love about ESO besides co-op: mounts, pets, housing, dolemans, delves, crafting, colorizing armor and costumes, ability to play solo or with my partner, selection of races and classes, ability to get housing without spending extra money through questing. being able to use housing as a fast travel method from anywhere even dungeons or delves

Things I would change or fix: when in the bank & the banker moves and kicks you out, Recipes in the bank that have "known or use" way at the bottom - motifs use a better method of "already in your library" at the top! Also, a way to do the "group" areas as duo co-op, have an open maketplace/auction (like Neverwinter) where any player can put up an item and anyone can bit on it!

Gladari:
    Ranger of Surefall Glade
    Red Mage of Vana'diel
    Acrotecher of Moatoob
    Mate of Union

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I think I'd still be playing this game if it wasn't for ZOS' constant monetization. Entire guild left at the announcement of "Crown Crates" and I'm glad we did. With what they've done with housing (which I was really looking forward to) and the constant NERFs to player toons, specials, etc etc etc in favor of more monetization my cash is better spent somewhere else. And this comes from a person that can afford it. Last month I played ESO, wife and I spent over $100.00 but I'm also an old guild leader and we had several who couldn't afford that kind of expenditure for nothing but pixels.

I had a "whew" moment when they announced their "expansion" not being free to subs when they promised this over and over and over but the almighty dollar changed their entire outlook, again.

I can only see this getting much, much worse now that they've changed their way of thinking about monetization. Bill, it may not be P2W right now (altho that depends on what your version of WIN is - it is for someone who is a game collector right now) but as simple attrition gets to the playerbase, I'm positive this too will come for the PVPers. They're just too willing to change their complete design docs, NERF player toons into oblivion (pun), and milk their existing playerbase thru the Crown store/lockboxes while going further and further out with the timelines for DLCs, and all this in a story based MMO. Same recipe here with ZOS as from Cryptic and STO and we all know how that turned out.
  • LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Drove to a nearby Bestbuy a few years ago to grab myself a copy of ESO. Drove back home after I stopped at a Burger King 2 streets away. Let's just say I enjoyed my Whopper and fries way more than ESO. If only ESO was edible I'd give it 1.5 stars out of 5, but sadly it isn't ... So yeah, that's pretty much my story with Burger King, uh? ESwhat?
  • BC_AnimusBC_Animus Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Finally gotten round to trying this recently - have spent about 30 hours ingame and sadly my experience has been average.

I didn't play around with it much, but the UI annoyed me for some reason, and I wasn't a fan of the NPC interactions either. Some basic ingame mechanics aren't explained in the tutorial, I had to manually go into keybinding settings to see how to put a weapon away for example, and I it took me a while to figure out how lockpicking work. I had to experiment quite a bit to figure things out for myself - got chased out of town a few times due to accidental attacks and an experimental attempt to see how pickpocketing work. Was almost funny actually - this NPC was hurt, two other NPCs laying next to her, and when I talked to her she asked me to heal her friends right? I didn't know how to heal, had a restoral staff in my pack, so I equip that and pointed the staff at one of her friends thinking it'd zap him with restoral energy magic or something... but no, ends up with me attacking, and the whole town trying to kill me. Hmmm.

Anyways as with a lot of MMOs I started off by spending way too much time playing around with the creator creation part, only to get into the game and realise the char looks completely different in action, quit out, delete, and restart. With it's 24-hour-wait on character deletion limit thing, it look me three days before I finally got the look I liked... only to realise there was another layer of character creation that wasn't explained - the Alliances.

When I saw that Alliances can't be changed, and that it actually affects the story, I went out to do some research on the lore behind them, before going back in (another day later) with yet another new character. After playing around for a while I realised, crap, I actually prefer the story and setting of the original Alliance I had originally chosen. But, character deleted and replaced, it was too late to go back now... unless I wait another day and restart the char again. So, I pushed on. After a few hours, finally equiped with the weapon class of my choice, I realised that the combat, especially for the class I have chosen, wasn't actually that fun. It just didn't do it for me. At this stage I could've created alts to try out the different classes I guess, but weapons and abilities don't unlock till a few levels in, and to be honest it was just too much hard work.

I considered trying again with a different Alliance and class, but I thought, do I really want to wait yet another day to restart the char, again? The answer was sadly no, and I ended up uninstalling.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    @BC_Animus

To each their own I guess, but whenever I try a new MMO, I spend at least the time it takes to download if not longer, reading up on the basics of characters, classes, factions etc., precisely so I won't have an experience like yours.

[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED