Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First!

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Looks like people who were banned, (at least today) are now unbanned.
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]Asheram

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Kyleran said:
    Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!!!!
    TheScavenger[Deleted User]Kyleran[Deleted User]Asheram

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Kyleran said:
    Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom!!!!

Octagon7711[Deleted User][Deleted User]MeddleAsheram

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Kyleran said:
    Somebody needs to notify Malabooga; he has an Intel/Nvidia hate backlog that's months overdue.
    Yes I hope many of my old debate partners return.  I miss them all.  I truly enjoy the banter.
    [Deleted User]bartoni33

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Noooo,

All my reactions have disappeared, now nobody has ever agreed with me or thought I was awesome :neutral:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Asheram
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited May 2017
    I just noticed post count is gone too. Can still see it on the profile page, shows how many comments person has made and how many topics. But, looks like most of that viewing was removed.

Though I actually kinda like that. Sometimes new members to MMORPG.com or just people that don't post much, make a topic and people don't take it seriously or contribute to the thread (even if it seems like a good topic to me) and think having 10,000 posts makes you the authority of the forum. A lot of forums and some people take someones post count way too seriously lol, I'd rather have buttons (like MMORPG.com has) than a useless post count statistic that is visible. Someone can still look at someones profile anyway if they REALLY cared enough to look.

But maybe it will come back anyway and its still being worked on or something, dunno.

I just noticed post count is gone too. Can still see it on the profile page, shows how many comments person has made and how many topics. But, looks like most of that viewing was removed.

Though I actually kinda like that. Sometimes new members to MMORPG.com or just people that don't post much, make a topic and people don't take it seriously or contribute to the thread (even if it seems like a good topic to me) and think having 10,000 posts makes you the authority of the forum. A lot of forums and some people take someones post count way too seriously lol, I'd rather have buttons (like MMORPG.com has) than a useless post count statistic that is visible. Someone can still look at someones profile anyway if they REALLY cared enough to look.

But maybe it will come back anyway and its still being worked on or something, dunno.
    Final wipe before release!  End of beta wipe!
    [Deleted User]

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nyctelios said:
    I think they are trying to follow the gaming industry trend of going out of early access into open beta by adding more bugs and glitches. It is working as intended I must admit.
    This page gives you a quick rundown about the differences between the Vamilla forum cloud service (which is, I believe, what we had) and the Open Source version:

https://blog.vanillaforums.com/understanding-vanilla-offerings/

[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758
    We've got a bunch of new bugs to work through yay!

Seriously though what we did was move from Vanilla's hosted forum package to open source hosted on our own servers.  The move is good from a budget standpoint.  What's not good is that we've lost access to some features that only come with a hosted plan.  One of those is the gamification system.  This includes reactions, ranks and badges.  I did install another gamification plugin but like a lot of open source software it's buggy and needs some kinks ironed out.

So yes everyone lost their reactions they previously had.

As for adding / removing reactions we can definitely do that.  Looking at the reactions bar right now I'd say we have room for 1 more to add.  So if you guys want agree AND disagree one of the existing reactions has got to go :)  We're open to ideas on this.

We also lost some of the moderation niceties.  The temprary bans are now gone since we don't have support for those tools.  We're working on replacements.  For now the team has access to permabans... I would suggest if you had a tempban in the past to be nice.  For now your next ban will be permanent ;)

I'll work on getting user post counts back on the post author info section and styling the reaction icons at the bottom of the posts to make them more presentable.  Of course along with all of the other issues.

I would like to say that we're open to other forum packages at this point.  What's keeping us with Vanilla is that it's hard to find forum packages that also act as embedded commenting systems which we use for news and features commenting on the main site which then mirror into the forums.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]laserit

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758
    Scorchien said:
    i would like to WTF the new forums , as they are acting very strange , every thread i click on leads to a differnet one ... and other oddities ...
    If you can tell me where you're clicking links that take you to other threads I'll investigate.  From the recent posts block on the main page or category discussions list pages etc.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Meddle said:

Seriously though what we did was move from Vanilla's hosted forum package to open source hosted on our own servers.  The move is good from a budget standpoint.  What's not good is that we've lost access to some features that only come with a hosted plan.  One of those is the gamification system.  This includes reactions, ranks and badges.  I did install another gamification plugin but like a lot of open source software it's buggy and needs some kinks ironed out.

As for adding / removing reactions we can definitely do that.  Looking at the reactions bar right now I'd say we have room for 1 more to add.  So if you guys want agree AND disagree one of the existing reactions has got to go :)  We're open to ideas on this.

We also lost some of the moderation niceties.  The temprary bans are now gone since we don't have support for those tools.  We're working on replacements.  For now the team has access to permabans... I would suggest if you had a tempban in the past to be nice.  For now your next ban will be permanent ;)

I'll work on getting user post counts back on the post author info section and styling the reaction icons at the bottom of the posts to make them more presentable.  Of course along with all of the other issues.

I would like to say that we're open to other forum packages at this point.  What's keeping us with Vanilla is that it's hard to find forum packages that also act as embedded commenting systems which we use for news and features commenting on the main site which then mirror into the forums.
    We don't need a disagree if comes at the cost of the wonderful new "WTF" button. If you can only add one I say add "Agree" and be done with it... just my 2 devalued Canadian cents.
    AsheramKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Once you start WTFing its hard to stop.
    Iselin[Deleted User][Deleted User]DullahanKyleran
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Meddle said:
    Scorchien said:
    i would like to WTF the new forums , as they are acting very strange , every thread i click on leads to a differnet one ... and other oddities ...
    If you can tell me where you're clicking links that take you to other threads I'll investigate.  From the recent posts block on the main page or category discussions list pages etc.
       It was from recent posts on the main page , and it was happening for the first 20 minutes or so after site came up .. Seems to have resolved itself
    Meddle said:

There should be no Agree button.   We should ditch Insightful and replace it with Triggered.  Awesome should become Shill.  And add a Disagree button.      Then we will be all set!
    TheScavenger

Well, for the agree/disagree button, on a more serious post...

We have insightful, awesome and LOL as all positive posts. Some here think LOL is bad (but now we have the WTF button), but it means you made someone laugh or/and the post was funny. So we have 3 positives and 1 negative. 

Insightful is a good one, as it means the post was knowledgeable or/and someone learned something from it.

Awesome is as it says, a freakin awesome post man

LOL means the post was funny

WTF is the negative one, and it means the post is bad and you probably triggered someone and could be seen as the "disagree" button, it kinda serves the same purpose.

We don't really have a way to "agree" with a post with just a button. None of the above 3 positive ones really match up.

However, a disagree button would be hilarious. Drive-by disagree like I posted the other day. Oh boy would that annoy people. But in terms of forum usage, I think that be abused by trolls (I would! At least I'm honest lol) and make more people annoyed and not use the forum. It would be hilarious to see all the people triggered by it, because someone is bound to start ranting and raging cause someone did a drive-by disagree. But I dunno how helpful that is to the actual forum in the long run. 
    [Deleted User]

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We have insightful, awesome and LOL as all positive posts. Some here think LOL is bad (but now we have the WTF button), but it means you made someone laugh or/and the post was funny. So we have 3 positives and 1 negative. 

Insightful is a good one, as it means the post was knowledgeable or/and someone learned something from it.

WTF is the negative one, and it means the post is bad and you probably triggered someone and could be seen as the "disagree" button, it kinda serves the same purpose.

We don't really have a way to "agree" with a post with just a button. None of the above 3 positive ones really match up.

However, a disagree button would be hilarious. Drive-by disagree like I posted the other day. Oh boy would that annoy people. But in terms of forum usage, I think that be abused by trolls (I would! At least I'm honest lol) and make more people annoyed and not use the forum. It would be hilarious to see all the people triggered by it, because someone is bound to start ranting and raging cause someone did a drive-by disagree. But I dunno how helpful that is to the actual forum in the long run. 
    Disagree will never be a thing.  I'm not a huge fan of WTF, either, but we can trial it out and see how it goes if you guys really want to keep it.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Asheram
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    MikeB said:

Disagree will never be a thing.  I'm not a huge fan of WTF, either, but we can trial it out and see how it goes if you guys really want to keep it.

Well dam it Mike .......... i was gonna lobby for STFU button but i suppose that will never happen now :)
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Asherambartoni33
    edited May 2017
    hey :smiley: the agree button is back :smiley:
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]Octagon7711

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited May 2017
    MikeB said:

Honestly, I don't like the new response buttons. The response that I used the most was "agree", and most of the time people agreed with me. Agree was my highest badge, people very rarely use "insightful" and "awesome" even less.

I guess they added the agree button as I was typing this comment lol.
    [Deleted User]
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    First new thread on the upgraded forums. 

Who else was going through withdrawal?

First to post wins a brand new copy of Mass effect Andromeda courtesy of SBFord
    Octagon7711
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    DMKano said:
    MikeB said:

Honestly, I don't like the new response buttons. The response that I used the most was "agree", and most of the time people agreed with me. Agree was my highest badge, people very rarely use "insightful" and "awesome" even less.

I just agreed with you, so Agree is back :)
    Yep, thanks! :)
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
    edited May 2017
    DMKano said:
    MikeB said:

Yep WTF is immature and doesnt belong on these forums. it needs to go.
    yeah, in truth I'd rather have the same buttons as before. I don't really think WTF belongs here.

Make a thread/post someone doesn't like...and they'll just press WTF. That will happen a lot, because people often make threads people don't agree with or say something they don't like.

Someone doesn't like someone, and they'll just WTF their posts for no reason but to troll them. There are a couple people I can think of, that a portion of people don't like their threads/posts at all and will just press WTF instead of doing anything constructive and helpful.

I think there is a reason there is no negative buttons on facebook and twitter, and I'm sure they did research to discover why things like that are bad for their sites. 
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188Allerleirauh[Deleted User]

I'm going to own WTF the way GDemani owns LOL.

[Deleted User]Scorchienbartoni33

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    Torval said:
    Awesome. There's a WTF button. I've wanted one of those! :D

Right now we just need a middle finger smiley button like the SC "forums".
    [Deleted User]

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    I'm going to own WTF the way GDemani owns LOL.

He got reset like us all, so all his hard work troll-LOL'ing the entire MMORPG.com was in vain. Gotta start all over again heh?
    Dullahanbartoni33