Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Birth of a Legend - LEEROY JENKINS & 12 Years of Yolo - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430

FuryV said:

Look at the graphics and UI setup in that video compared to some of the areas in Legion and the new default UI, yet people still go around saying "How can you even play a 13 year old game?".

So it's an enhanced edition now? lol I like to play Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition from time to time for nostalgia. It's a really old game. So is WoW.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Dakeru said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    If I wasn't slightly intoxicated right now, I'm pretty sure Cantankerousmage wouldn't make any sense to me right now.

No idea why he wasn't banned. This was a thread about a popular gaming myth and he just spammed it with:
    -this game sucks
    -game x sucks
    -game y sucks
    -game z sucks
    Then he added some completely untrue "facts" just to show that he has no clue.
    He was banned yesterday actually. With the forum changeover it seems all bans were lifted.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    DMKano said:
    12 years of a video that actually made fun of raiding nerds.

But instead it turned into a meme and the mmo playerbase apparently completely missed the point that the staged video was making fun of them.

Classic

It was already said that it's staged.
    We can still enjoy it though cause it's a sidejab at us gamers and we decided to accept the irony and laugh at it.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    DMKano said:

But instead it turned into a meme and the mmo playerbase apparently completely missed the point that the staged video was making fun of them.

Classic
    That was exactly what I was thinking when I saw it 12 years ago. 'WTF, why aren't these people realising this video is making fun if them?' I found it hilarious nevertheless. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited May 2017
    DMKano said:

Classic
    It was a light-hearted jab at nerds, made by nerds. No one missed the point, people can laugh at themselves.
    Iselin
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DMKano said:

Classic
    It was a light-hearted jab at nerds, made by nerds. No one missed the point, people can laugh at themselves.

But it also continued to stereotype MMO players, as Ive shown this video to coworkers and family who dont game and they thought thats just typical online video gamers, aka basement parent dweling social outcasts.

We can all laugh at ourselves, but lets recognize that it also continued and reinforced a stereotype.
    A stereotype that existed long before the video ever came out, and would have continued to exist independently of any such video.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DMKano said:

Classic

But it also continued to stereotype MMO players, as Ive shown this video to coworkers and family who dont game and they thought thats just typical online video gamers, aka basement parent dweling social outcasts.

We can all laugh at ourselves, but lets recognize that it also continued and reinforced a stereotype.
    A stereotype that existed long before the video ever came out, and would have continued to exist independently of any such video.

True - but as anything, it can reinforce or dispell stereotypes.

For the record, my condo does not have a basement.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DMKano said:

Classic

I politely disagree. There was no stereotype for MMO players here in Western Europe. The Dial-up internet connections were recently upgraded to broadband. Online gaming was something for a very small minority.
    Due to commercials on TV and watercooler interactions at work, people started to wonder what this new hype called World of Warcraft was about. Online Gaming sounded like fun, harmless entertainment.

Leeroy Jenkins was a good conversation starter. People could see the humor in it. Not a stereotype at all. More and more people wanted to try WoW, after seeing the video.

The 2 South Park episodes, now there you have some stereo types! Made me go to the gym ;)
    Forgrimm
    Keller said:
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DMKano said:

Classic

I politely disagree. There was no stereotype for MMO players here in Western Europe. The Dial-up internet connections were recently upgraded to broadband. Online gaming was something for a very small minority.
    Due to commercials on TV and watercooler interactions at work, people started to wonder what this new hype called World of Warcraft was about. Online Gaming sounded like fun, harmless entertainment.

Leeroy Jenkins was a good conversation starter. People could see the humor in it. Not a stereotype at all. More and more people wanted to try WoW, after seeing the video.

The 2 South Park episodes, now there you have some stereo types! Made me go to the gym ;)
    Exactly, the South Park episode immediately came to mind as an actual example of negative stereotyping. Most non-gamers or non-mmo players wouldn't even know what's going on in the Leeroy video. But the South Park episode had the quintessential fat old gamer, with food wrappers and drinks on the desk and the carpal-tunnel brace on his wrist. And the famous line "How do you kill that which has no life".
    Keller
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DMKano said:

Classic

True - but as anything, it can reinforce or dispell stereotypes.

For the record, my condo does not have a basement.

I am jealous of people who have basements, as there are no basements in my area.
    The part of Vancouver where I live is slightly below sea level. Basements would be an issue here too. But hey, that's why we have garages.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I'm not 100% certain that leeroy jenkins actually came from WoW...Like everything else, WoW got the credit for it....There was a Bard on one fo the servers in EQ named leeroy jenkins before WoW was even made...i'm pretty sure whomever had the idea to film it in WoW got the idea from this guy.
    I'm not 100% certain that leeroy jenkins actually came from WoW...Like everything else, WoW got the credit for it....There was a Bard on one fo the servers in EQ named leeroy jenkins before WoW was even made...i'm pretty sure whomever had the idea to film it in WoW got the idea from this guy.
    Never heard of a Leeroy Jenkins in EQ. And even if there was a character with that name, the video is what made the meme, and that was definitely from WoW.
    [Deleted User]
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    That egg thing you have to admit was annoying for EVERYONE at the time lmao. :)
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Cantankerousmage is starting to sound like he would be at home under a bridge.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    To this day, I don't understand why people found this entertaining.
    Justsomenoob
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Whatever, they're all just stupid games.  But look, the only reason WoW became king is because EQ2 demanded that people have a more powerful, expensive computer to run it in 2004.  I had EQ 1 and WoW vets in my guild on EQ2.  A couple of them told me that the only reason they played WoW was because they didn't want to get a new computer back then.  That's why WoW was more popular and successful than EQ2.  But overall, even with all of its problems, even in 2014, EQ2 was a better game than WoW.  More fun, more stuff to do, more challenging, etc.

I was able to mentor down my paladin and solo many lower level raids on EQ2.  Mentoring down means you pay some gold to have your level decreased.  I did that so I could get loot from the lower level raids I soloed.

Look, I'm not even a fan of WoW... but you are out of your mind. WoW didn't solely become a gaming Juggernaut because EQ2 had higher system requirements.
    Iselin
  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Why do you do this shit Leeroy?

I'm trying!
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Galadourn said:

What's more interesting to contemplate is WHY such moments can NEVER be repeated in WoW in its current state...

MMOs really don't foster community anymore, they are designed from the ground up to be single player RPGs these days, so events like this are fall less likely to happen. 

Tree of Savior had a good bit of it. First mmo in a while where at launch I had 20+ people on my friends list whilst going in blind. They just released the game too early with very little in the way of server space.

That being said I still keep in contact with some of the strangest people from WoW.
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538
    The funniest moment we had was in the dungeon in Stranglethorn, I forget the name. Zul something. We were fighting the final boss and my buddy tried to use his gagdet to resurrect someone, only he didn't realize he didn't have the proper gadget equipped. He actually had the teleportation gadget equipped and he ended up in Gadgetzan.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    Wait. Are we saying this started in WoW around 2005? Sure seems to me that we were using that term in another MMO at least a year maybe two before WoW came out.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    ROFLMAO. At the end when every1 is dead... "Leeroy your just stupid as hell"... "At least I have chicken"... BAHAHAHA!!!
  • TENTINGTENTING Member UncommonPosts: 262
    DMKano said:

Classic

Its about love. When you laugh at someone else that is doing something extraordinary foolish or in other ways behaving in a specific noticeable or controversial way, its a sign of love. Love for others, love for your own inner rebel, clown, intentional or unintentional flaws.
     Its about love and the ability to feel it towards others and yourself.

In this time and age though, I have noticed how all the cute and adorable stereotypes have started to get a "no fun allowed" tag on them.

Which basically means, no love allowed. This is the consequence eventually if we continue to deny ourselves and others these precious moments and jokes that brings attention to every day people and life in a nutshell.

We never laughed at raiders as a specific group, we laughed because we had experienced these Leeroys first hand and could recognize the scene. And it was as much fun to laugh at the people who got angry with the Leeroys, as much as the Leeroys themselves. 

Its human, its humor, its fun, lifegiving and shows love for the genre and the many different kinds of people playing the games. In this case it was WoW, but there are Leeroys everywhere, which I am truly grateful for, otherwise the world turns into a really boring place.

sedatedkarma
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    DAS1337 said:

Whatever, they're all just stupid games.  But look, the only reason WoW became king is because EQ2 demanded that people have a more powerful, expensive computer to run it in 2004.  I had EQ 1 and WoW vets in my guild on EQ2.  A couple of them told me that the only reason they played WoW was because they didn't want to get a new computer back then.  That's why WoW was more popular and successful than EQ2.  But overall, even with all of its problems, even in 2014, EQ2 was a better game than WoW.  More fun, more stuff to do, more challenging, etc.

I was able to mentor down my paladin and solo many lower level raids on EQ2.  Mentoring down means you pay some gold to have your level decreased.  I did that so I could get loot from the lower level raids I soloed.

Look, I'm not even a fan of WoW... but you are out of your mind. WoW didn't solely become a gaming Juggernaut because EQ2 had higher system requirements.

Sorry to break it to you, but it is quite true.  The high computer requirements along with a multitude of bugs made EQ 2 almost unplayable at release.  I had a decent computer at the time, that I had just built and I just could not run the game well at all.  Wow came out a week or two later and I was running it on high graphics settings with no issues.

As to the Leroy story, it was funny because it was not uncommon to wipe in that room, people were always running in there with little caution and causing the party to self destruct.