Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Communication in online video games

WmxWmx Member UncommonPosts: 16
Hello everyone,

How do you communicate in online video games? I am conducting a research (B.A. thesis) on word formation processes in video games and social media and I would love to hear your opinion on this matter. Let's engage in a discussion. 

I'm pretty sure that it would be interesting for some of you to know how others communicate their message in an online video game or just an MMO in short. I have gathered over 150 examples of abbreviations (Acronyms), shifts, clippings, and phonetical formations (l8r, cu, k, y) and it would be beneficial to add some more to the list, maybe there are specific things that are new and not usual like WTB/WTS, or LFG. 

So, how do you communicate in online video games? Do you tend to use a great number of abbreviated forms like lol, kk, wtf, omg and et. al.? 
Also, I would like to hear your opinion on the relationship between an MMO and the usage of such words. For example, from my personal experience, I know that League of Legends players use a ton of abbreviated forms, but maybe you know more.

Thank you for your contribution!

Cheers.

Comments

• ituk8757ituk8757 Member CommonPosts: 1
     @사용자 이름
  • OrionKnightOrionKnight Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Discord! We used it when playing dota 2 and csgo  B)
  • 13thBen13thBen Member UncommonPosts: 120
    GG= Good Game
  • carter_gcarter_g Member CommonPosts: 3
    @Wmx ;   I think people tend to use various means of voice communication these days, particularly when they do something that could be challenging in terms of gameplay mechanics: e.g. raiding, group organised PvP and so forth.
  • carter_gcarter_g Member CommonPosts: 3
    @Wmx
    As to the acronyms, they are quite popular in most online games, I think, not exclusively LoL or WoW. It is possible that players who prefer 'retro' MMOs -- such as LotRO or DDO -- use relatively less acronyms, than those who play more 'mainstream' online games, but I wouldn't bet on it.
  • Dullahan29Dullahan29 Member CommonPosts: 2
    Most people I know use discord to justtalk to each other but otherwise a mix of acronyms and full words.
  • eviloverlordgameseviloverlordgames Member CommonPosts: 4
    @Wmx
    What a neat study. Of interest to me too, as we're currently working on developing our chat system for our weird interactive fiction/MMO hybrid game. It'll be interesting to see how communication there differs from more "traditional" MMO settings...

Where can we see your findings when complete?