Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting Out Ideas

ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
Going to be joining the game soon, not as a free trial, already figured I want to play the game longer than that.

Class, looking for a tank but I don't understand the FF system; what would you recommend as a tanking class. What class/es do I need to get to that tanking class/job?

Looking at Highlanders currently, they have the right sort of look and background for me. Any sources of information that go into them in more detail?

Any other tips, things you wish you had known when you started?

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Don't stampede me with ideas. :)

I am also looking at trying to pick a RP server. I have heard all the US/Europe severs are in Canada and the unofficial RP server is Balmung? No European ones then? Also I may find I cannot get on the server due to restriction, can we transfer later?
    edited March 2017
    Final Frustration?

No problem about no replies on here, I can just ask on the official forums...oh no you can't. I have to do more sign ups for this MMO than any other I have played, I gave up on signing in for a look at the merchandise page, while still signed in to my SE account.

Ok so the forums is a separate sign up, fair enough that's common. You can't log in if you have just joined...you log in a couple of days later and find you can't do a thread as your level is too low. But you can post, so I do a post as a add on to a thread talking about tanks. I press send...you can't post as your level is too low. Wasting time is becoming the norm with FF14.

I can't get on to the server I want to go to, its restricted. This is a yesteryear problem, why are they still doing this? The old FF online from years back was a bit notorious for the 'level up on another server and see if you can transfer idea' and they are still doing that. Plus I may never be able to transfer to the server I want to go on. So its just lets hope you can find a guild on servers with low RP populations. Whoopee.

The game itself is perfectly fine, but the management of the game by SE seems dire so far.
  • redneckgamerredneckgamer Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Making a character on another server and transferring is really the only way to get on Balmung unless you get really lucky right after or before maintenance but that never seemed to work for me.  The transfer thing always works but it costs money to do it.   
    The transfer will work? That's fine, I don't expect to play for free and won't quibble. Its just I saw somewhere (as you can imagine I have been fishing around) saying transfers did not always work. Thanks for that.
  • kallenskallens Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Scot, why do you want to be on Balmung? My main is on Balmung and I left her there to start anew on Sarg. Why? Well, Blamung is packed, so packed that is too much, and SB will make it worse, you cannot get a house .the Market is saturated with EVERYTHING so you cannot make money.

Why not try Cactaur or Sargantanus ? They are both high to med servers that will see a ton of people in SB, plus you can make money and maybe get a home. 

Also, for tank, WAR is more of the dps tank, PLD is more of the basic easy tank, and DRK is a magic mitigation tank, but you can't roll DRK until you reach Heavensward.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Scot said:

The transfer will work? That's fine, I don't expect to play for free and won't quibble. Its just I saw somewhere (as you can imagine I have been fishing around) saying transfers did not always work. Thanks for that.

Just placing this here in case someone else stumbles upon it:

You're able to transfer 8 characters at once for a single $18 fee if you ever want to do it.

Balmung is packed, but it also has a ton of RP FCs (guilds) and Rpers as a whole, if that's what you're looking for.  Though it being locked to new players (aside from the transfer) also has some benefits in that trolls can't get in, and RMT people are non-existent.  Have not, in the last few years, seen a single advertisement.

As far as housing and the like, the competition is fierce.  Though you are able to get a room from an FC that you join (if they have one) and they have apartments now.  Both (housing / apartments) of which they will increase shortly after Stormblood's release.

Also, this is probably the forums you want to be:  http://www.ffxiv-roleplayers.com/

Most RPers post there.

------------------

As for tanks, Warrior is considered to be "Perfect" and Paladin has pretty much been a joke since patch 1.18.  This was completely expected for those of us that played 1.0, as they always seemed to favor warrior.

Until you learn tanking mechanics, Paladin is much harder to play 1-50 due to having no real threat mechanics and no real AoE.  You have to keep track of it all manually, mark targets and constantly switch between targets to attack them and maintain threat (even hitting multiple mobs with the same combo chain).  Warriors and Dark Knights can pretty much just stand still and spam an AoE a few times and maintain aggro throughout, making them much easier tanks when it comes to maintaining threat.

If you want to play a job to their maximum effectiveness in a raid situation, Warrior has a bit more depth to it in that they stance dance and the like -- with the two main stances having different rotations.  Dark Knights manage resources while fighting, but are relatively simple as a whole.  They're also the best at AoE threat.

In Stormblood they're saying that Paladin is receiving a major buff and being brought up to the Warrior, but I'll believe it when I see it.

tldr;

Warriors are the easiest class to learn and start with at the beginning, and while they get more complex by the end, they're also the best by then.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • kallenskallens Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Balmung and Gilga are closed to transfers from now on, so you're out of luck