Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is this CPU even worth getting at the price

13»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350

Ozmodan said:

Ozmodan said:

Well here is another big boost for Ryzen, seems the I7 7700 has some nasty issues....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/04/intel_i77700_heat_spike_problems/

Mine disagrees, but then it's a "K" version...

Come by my place sometime, I have a box of burnt out processors that I have had to replace. 

And I'm going to assume also some empty tanks of liquid nitrogen.

How dangerous overclocking is depends tremendously on how far you overclock and how good of other components the system has to be able to handle the heavier load.  If you start by adding 0.4 V before you touch the clock speed, that will fry a lot more things than if you just go for the maximum clock speed that you can get at the stock voltage.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Yep, if he has a box of burnt out CPU's he is either A. Doing something horribly wrong, or B. One of those guys who is competing to get the highest possible OC.

I've been OC'ing since the days of Pentium 2's and I've literally never once fried a chip.  I've had chips with 15-20% overclocks that I ran for 6 years with 0 issues.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited May 2017
    I have seen weird operation in CPUs that have been overclocked for several years. Not sure if it was caused by the thermal paste degrading, typical aging, overclock, voltage surges due to appliances run on the same circuit, or having it working at 100% load for several days rendering CG animations. My guess is the voltage fluctuations.

The noted problem with the 7700K is the cheap thermal compound where de-lidding helps. On the other hand, you can't get a Ryzen 7 over 4.1 ghz reliably. May change in the future as engineer samples are floating around at 4.7 ghz. However, I have my doubts on if it is a driver fix.
  • dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    edited May 2017

So im going to try putting together a new PC for streaming and gaming primarily (although surfing and youtube is also whats going to be done). I figure I'll start the decision making with the CPU, then MB, then RAM etc...

I'm looking at http://www.ncix.com/detail/intel-core-i7-7700k-processor-8m-a8-137588.htm?promoid=1500

INTEL CORE I7-7700K Processor 8M Cache 4 Cores 4.2GHZ FC-LGA14C Retail Box Kaby Lake

I read up and this appears to be a higher end Kaby lake series. It is roughly $450 CAD (I cant find big sales for it).

Now I wikipedia CPU and a new series is set to release late 2017. I don't feel like my PC can wait that long, but is it worth getting this for 450$ with a new series sort of around the corner? I'm not an early adapter so I would most likely wait out the beginning anyways when the new series is released. My concern is if I would be overpaying at that price. 

I'm currently using Intel Core i7 CPU 950  @ 3.07GHz, 3060 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Any advice or opinions is very appreciated

From what I've heard its a very good processor. If you do get it make sure to get a 200 series motherboard for it to take advantage of the new tech in the 7700k

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited May 2017
    It's the same price on Amazon. The price listed at NCIX is in CAD.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Quizzical said:

Ozmodan said:
    Ozmodan said:
    Well here is another big boost for Ryzen, seems the I7 7700 has some nasty issues....

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/05/04/intel_i77700_heat_spike_problems/
    Mine disagrees, but then it's a "K" version...
    Come by my place sometime, I have a box of burnt out processors that I have had to replace. 
    And I'm going to assume also some empty tanks of liquid nitrogen.

How dangerous overclocking is depends tremendously on how far you overclock and how good of other components the system has to be able to handle the heavier load.  If you start by adding 0.4 V before you touch the clock speed, that will fry a lot more things than if you just go for the maximum clock speed that you can get at the stock voltage.

I just build systems for people, I do not overclock them.  What they do after I build the system is up to the owner.  There is nothing wrong with minor overclocking, the problem is that people always seem to OC as high as they can go.  If you are running your I7-7700k at 4.8 it will see my blown cpu box sooner than later.