Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So much talk about scam and waporware

MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
There has been so much talk about this game for the past week that the game are a scam, it's a waporware, well everything to well rob you clean kinda talk.

Yes true the one who pure in the money have a shady background, true I don't deny that, but if you really think about this, why?
Why do the team who work on the project who has background in gaming production for years  sigh up for a scam artist to rob all those who pledge on the KS, does that really sound logical to you?, I mean you think they are willing to kill off their own career in the gaming world for what?, split a 1-2mill KS money between them, they will never get another job in the industry if it were true.

So, does this community have all seeing eyes and these poor bastards who work on the project don't have a clue?.

No, this community are so toxic on everything, you can give them the real holy graal and still someone says its a fake.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Maurgrim said:

So, does this community have all seeing eyes and these poor bastards who work on the project don't have a clue?.

No, this community are so toxic on everything, you can give them the real holy graal and still someone says its a fake.

There is no holy grail, many of us here understand this. So we look at projects and teams who promise to deliver it with distrust and want to see solid evidence they can actually pull it off.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I don't think it's a scam.  I just don't think it will be accomplished as planned.   Another lofty concept that will never be released as originally intended.  I've been hearing about revolutionary MMO's for years, since WoW became the game to dethrone, and haven't seen one deliver anything close to the promises of the developers and fanboys.  But hey, I could be totally wrong.  Maybe this is the one.  I can always back it in a few years, if it's showing amazing progress.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982

Maurgrim said:

Yes true the one who pure in the money have a shady background, true I don't deny that, 

So the above quote is what you say about the guy who is asking you to give him money... based on faith and trust...

And you wonder why folks here are skeptical about the project.  Do you not see the blatant disconnect there?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Maurgrim said:

Yes true the one who pure in the money have a shady background, true I don't deny that, 

So the above quote is what you say about the guy who is asking you to give him money... based on faith and trust...

And you wonder why folks here are skeptical about the project.  Do you not see the blatant disconnect there?

Hey dude, why so skeptical?  He's only the one in charge of handling all the money!
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    edited May 2017
    It will be the No Man's Sky of MMOs. Videos and promises that do not represent what the game actually will be.

Its not necessarily an intentional scam, Steven Sharif already made tons of money that way. He really just believes he is the chosen one to rebirth the genre even though there is zero evidence that he can actually do so.

Way bigger companies with way more experience and way more money have made the same claims and utterly failed.

Jacobin said:

Way bigger companies with way more experience and way more money have made the same claims and utterly failed.

Yeah, but then there's always the success stories, like EQ Next.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    edited May 2017
    "noun
    1. a confidence game or other fraudulent scheme, especially for making a quick profit; swindle."

I don't think any sane person thinks the project is a "scam". Wherein Intrepid Studios set out to create a Kickstarter with the intention of stealing everyone's money...

I think it's more a question of confidence in the leadership/team and if:
    a) the game will release on time or even ever?
    b) the final product will live up to the hype/promises?

If the project does end up failing, I don't think anyone at Intrepid Studios will be making out with a profit...

--------------------------------------------
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    If something is too good to be true, it probably is.

Ashes of Creation is showing us some amazing looking videos, of a MMO releasing in 2018, made by team of less than 20 people, while at the same time they give us very little details about the game's mechanisms.

A Kickstarter team might have better ideas than established studios, but it's utopia to think that they could do something significantly cheaper, faster, or with less developers than an established studio is able to. Their employees are only humans, with same human limitations.

I don't think people are claiming Ashes of Creation would be only a scam, they are probably really doing a game. But there's a huge difference between what they are presenting us, and what they could realistically create.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    What is Waporware anyone ?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA

Elsabolts said:

What is Waporware anyone ?

Not positive, but I think that's German for Vaporware.  Or Russian, like Mr. Chekov?  Idunno.