Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE plans to allow RMT(gold sellers) during the live game

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Distopia said:
    You're probably right there, as that's what draws the communities attention to it.

'Community attention' would rather fall under 'not  worthwhile' category.

I am talking about real, tangible damage that most players won't ever notice - increased server and infrastructure load caused by botting, dealing with legal and CS matters related to account and billing issues, etc.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Gaendric said:

I don't think it really matters at this point. The anti-p2w people have long discarded this game from their watchlist, the devs might as well go all in.

In related news, bringing a bazooka to a knife fight is not an unfair advantage. Because theoretically you could step on a banana peel, lose your footing and blow yourself up while doing a summersault.

Another false analogy.  You don't have to choose between a knife or a bazooka.  Here, the equivalent is being able to buy a knife, sword, gun, machine gun, bazooka, tank, and hire a team of body guards.

Gdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283

MrTuggles said:

Iselin said:

MrTuggles said:

Also, we have absolutely zero information on the power disparity between items. We don't know if a legendary item is 100x better than a normal item or .005% better. In fact, we have almost zero concrete information about the game in its entirety.

In other words, you don't really know what you're buying, but you guys are buying it anyway... gotta love KS MMO fans.

I am buying into the concept of the game because it checks all the boxes of what I've been waiting for in an mmo since vanilla UO. If it releases and meets half of the expectations I have I will be happy.

So has Ashes of Creation without the RMT bullshit. That's where I put my money.
  • MrTugglesMrTuggles Member UncommonPosts: 188

Rhime said:

MrTuggles said:

Iselin said:

MrTuggles said:

Also, we have absolutely zero information on the power disparity between items. We don't know if a legendary item is 100x better than a normal item or .005% better. In fact, we have almost zero concrete information about the game in its entirety.

In other words, you don't really know what you're buying, but you guys are buying it anyway... gotta love KS MMO fans.

I am buying into the concept of the game because it checks all the boxes of what I've been waiting for in an mmo since vanilla UO. If it releases and meets half of the expectations I have I will be happy.

I backed that game as well at the life time sub level until I thought long and hard about another themepark game. Canceled my pledge and put it back into CoE. Ashes of creation does look great, the node system seems interesting, but in the end I fear it will just be another one of those endless gear grinds where everyone plays a meta build with the same skills, so on and so forth.

CoE is attempting to make a living world that is molded by the player base. Anything other than basic items are going to be crafted by players. Items/pets will decay and break/die. Your character can die, lose their title, etc, etc, etc. Have a manor that you got when you took over a mayor/baron city? Guess what, you can lose it just like the last guy did.

Even with all the hate you guys are spewing out about the game I am still pretty excited for how the game appears to be shaping up.
  • MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Couldnt whoever makes the laws of a city, or land or whatever just come up with a law that states that one is not allowed to advertise for RMT or some shit, and then have it punishable by drowning, or whatever - that would effectively just kill the account outright no ? lol...
  • RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283

Rhime said:

MrTuggles said:

Iselin said:

MrTuggles said:

Must say that game looks interesting and whilst similar not the same.

I will probably try it though 

Here's a Google Doc to everything about Ashes of Creation so far... https://docs.google.com/document/d/14luppZ3Ub8jmcw_aK65QWxYY4xa8qAo9zRfpYWBxOXE/edit#

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Almost every game allows you to convert real world currency into in-game currency these days.

The EVE PLEX system has spread World of Warcraft, Runescape, and ArcheAge just to name a few.

Very few games allow you to convert in-game currency into real world money. Wurm Online, Entropia are the main ones. There are also grey markets that are tolerated in Star Citizen and Shroud of the Avatar though you can't advertise it in-game or on the official forums I hear.

The thing I would impress is that this system is only as good or bad as it's implementation. In Wurm it is implemented well and the anti-botting is effective. It has no negative effect on the community. In fact it's presence makes the game more enjoyable.

In Entropia it is the overbearing focus of the game and they use the promise you can make money from the game to make people willing to pay for absolutely everything they do in the game. I found it stifling and overbearing.

In Diablo 3 the game was easily botted and accumulating gold and gear was the whole darn point of it even you weren't looking to sell it later on. It devalued all your ingame effort and made things that were not trivial to obtain for a legit player worth mere pennies.

Overall I would say good decision. CoE seems most comparable to Wurm so if the anti-botting measures are solid it should actually enhance the game.
    Slapshot1188
  • skelexxskelexx Member CommonPosts: 4
    well at least the game tries to bring people together
    gold sellers will unite conquer a kingdom and sell the King position for 9999$
  • Hero001Hero001 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Love this, everyone knows that when your character logs off it continues "as a bot" running scripted tasks, living it's life without you right ?

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited August 2017
    I have like no faith in this game because of the whole Life and Death thing as well as other reasons that turn me away.

But that aside talking about RMT specifically, I have nothing against games that fully allow "RMT" or Real Money Trading between players I hope its a concept that is adopted by newer games, or selling your time through services such as Fiverr, there are people who sell their time for playing games of Over Watch, or League / DOTA with players I think its perfectly fine. (Its a persons private matter, and Real Money, they are free to do what they want with it.)

The exception to this is when a game using Albion as an example again because its one of the worst at this has people from foreign countries who can hop into a game "Commit Fraud" very easy and quickly exchange currency between players / sell it, and repeat all day long, as well as things like Bots, Cheaters, and Hackers which run rampant like in Lineage 2 which are generally used to illegally obtain resources.

In this case I have a problem with RMT, but in General a player who spends 1 hour gathering flowers for example and decides to sell 1000 flowers for $10 I have no problem with just saying, as long as they obtained it 100% Legally no RMT, bots, auto clickers, or cheats of any kind.
    Gdemami
    Renoaku said:
    I have like no faith in this game because of the whole Life and Death thing as well as other reasons that turn me away.

But that aside talking about RMT specifically, I have nothing against games that fully allow "RMT" or Real Money Trading between players I hope its a concept that is adopted by newer games, or selling your time through services such as Fiverr, there are people who sell their time for playing games of Over Watch, or League / DOTA with players I think its perfectly fine. (Its a persons private matter, and Real Money, they are free to do what they want with it.)

The exception to this is when a game using Albion as an example again because its one of the worst at this has people from foreign countries who can hop into a game "Commit Fraud" very easy and quickly exchange currency between players / sell it, and repeat all day long, as well as things like Bots, Cheaters, and Hackers which run rampant like in Lineage 2 which are generally used to illegally obtain resources.

In this case I have a problem with RMT, but in General a player who spends 1 hour gathering flowers for example and decides to sell 1000 flowers for $10 I have no problem with just saying, as long as they obtained it 100% Legally no RMT, bots, auto clickers, or cheats of any kind.
    You are only looking at it from the seller's side.  What about a game such as this which is based on territory control and wars?Is it OK for one person to buy resources or some other advantage that is far more than they could ever have gotten in game by playing it?  So he buys the work of 100 people with out of game cash.  

Not a game I want to play...

Asm0deus[Deleted User]Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

You are only looking at it from the seller's side.  What about a game such as this which is based on territory control and wars?Is it OK for one person to buy resources or some other advantage that is far more than they could ever have gotten in game by playing it?  So he buys the work of 100 people with out of game cash.  

the person that would buy the resources would have bought them regardless if RMT was allowed or not

the only difference is this:
    if RMT is allowed the gold seller will sell you 100 iron bars for 10$
    if RMT is banned the gold seller will sell you 100 iron bars for 12$

those 2 extra dollars the gold seller will put at the side in order to buy the game again if he gets ban

as someone that has dabbled in gold selling trust me on this : a gold seller doesn't care if RMT is allowed on not what he cares is if the game is good or it sucks

if its good a lot of people play it so there will always be demand for what he is farming
    if it sucks very few people play it so he wont be able to find people to sell what he farms

so even if they say we wont allow RMT this will only give you some peace of mind and you will see the occasional we banned 1000 gold sellers
    but in reality nothing has changed the are still here just selling at a bit more expensive prices to compensate for the accounts they lost
    KyleranGdemami
    skelexx said:

the person that would buy the resources would have bought them regardless if RMT was allowed or not

those 2 extra dollars the gold seller will put at the side in order to buy the game again if he gets ban

as someone that has dabbled in gold selling trust me on this : a gold seller doesn't care if RMT is allowed on not what he cares is if the game is good or it sucks

if its good a lot of people play it so there will always be demand for what he is farming
    if it sucks very few people play it so he wont be able to find people to sell what he farms

so even if they say we wont allow RMT this will only give you some peace of mind and you will see the occasional we banned 1000 gold sellers
    but in reality nothing has changed the are still here just selling at a bit more expensive prices to compensate for the accounts they lost
    An admitted gold seller trying to explain why RMT is good in a game...OK

Asm0deusGdemamiYashaX

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    this game will never be released I received this email this week

TAKING STOCK

That's a peek at the stuff we've done over the last six months. I hope your takeaway is that things are moving along great, and we're extremely happy with the progress. That said, I think many of you want a clearer picture of where we are in the overall timeline, and by how much we've been off on our estimates.

The truth is, our estimates were pretty accurate. However, as you'll soon see, there's a difference between timelines and schedules, it's possible to be accurate with one, while the other drifts apart.

In project management, the key difference between a timeline and a schedule is the presence of dates. When talking about a timeline we're generally focused on the order in which events will occur, and the relative work involved, in man-hours, man-weeks, etc., of completing some set of tasks.

We always predicted about 6-9 months of early, pre-alpha development, and about 12 months of active development focused on the various game-mechanics. For the most part, we're right in line with our timeline. We started focusing on core server work about 7 months ago, and are now moving into gameplay mechanics. Unfortunately, while our timeline has been fairly accurate, our schedule has slipped.

You see, when we first launched our Kickstarter last May and gave our estimates of an 18-month development cycle, we made two invalid assumptions.

First, we assumed that we'd be able to lock ourselves away and quietly go about development while the community patiently waited.

Second, we wrongly assumed that having a kick-ass game design, a rock-solid team of core employees, and a successful Kickstarter under our belt would immediately draw in world-renowned talent.

In effect, we began a relay race with no runners on the track. Then, at some point after the race started, people slowly began to step onto the track with our pennant on and immediately hauled ass to where the next person should be. At first, there was nobody there and so our engineers were forced to do a second lap, but as time has gone on and we've gained in credibility, more runners have joined our team and now we're starting to catch up. We have a team of rockstars, but no matter how fast they are, they simply won't be able to close the gap in the time we've lost.

In short, while we're actually right where we should be, we're obviously not when we'd like to be. Here is our estimated timeline: 

1. V3 of the Website (Q3 2017)
    2. ElyriaMUD (Q4 2017)
    3. Alpha 1 (T1 2018)
    4. Server Selection (T1 2018)
    5. Settlement / Domain Selection (T2 2018)
    6. KoE (T2 2018)
    7. Design Experiences (T3 2018)
    8. Alpha 2 (T3 2018)
    9. Beta 1 (S1 2019)
    10. Prologue & CoE Adventure Toolkit (S1 2019)
    11. Exposition (S1 2019)
    12. Beta 2 (S1/S2 2019)
    13. Stress Test (Any paid account)(S2 2019)
    14. Launch (S2 2019)
    Asm0deus[Deleted User]YashaX
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

Almost my thought..
    My thought exactly was:

So the community will consist of RMT - just the kind of people I want to hang with.

He makes it clear that the reason for him to play the game is whether there is a "demand" he can cash in on.
    ForgrimmGdemami
    Harbinger of Fools
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Dakeru said:

Almost my thought..
    My thought exactly was:

So the community will consist of RMT - just the kind of people I want to hang with.

He makes it clear that the reason for him to play the game is whether there is a "demand" he can cash in on.
    Just like SOtA, SC and many other current projects. It's attracting a weird bunch of speculator-"gamers" with $ in their eyes. And these devs are at the very least, tolerating the re-sale of future digital goods if not outright encouraging it.

Not really people I want to play games with.
    [Deleted User]ForgrimmGdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited August 2017
    skelexx said:

never said that it was good i simply explained how it works

you can chose to ignore it if you don't believe me everyone is entitled to their opinion

edit:

what matters is if you want a constructive discussion or just a pat in the back
    telling you yes yes you are right
    Post edited by skelexx on
    Slapshot1188Gdemami
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited August 2017
    Myrdynn relaying an e-mail which said:

Second, we wrongly assumed that having a kick-ass game design, a rock-solid team of core employees, and a successful Kickstarter under our belt would immediately draw in world-renowned talent.

It's funny how people are willing to trust a project run by people with logic like this.  It's probably a case of birds of a feather flocking together.
    Slapshot1188MyrdynnGdemami
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    edited August 2017
    Not followed the game for a while so I don't know anything about this latest RMT thing but I still do not understand how people confuse buying items pre-launch meant to flesh out the world with other mmos where you can buy advantage post-launch. The two are fundamentally not the same. 

Personally I prefer the world being built from scratch post-launch but that is a personal preference not meant to indicate whether it is better or worse. Someone has to be king and the vast majority of players of an mmo would never be one anyway. So what does it matter if people get that as reward for helping fund the game?

Yes join the existing kingdoms after launch if they are 'insurmountable'. Seems to me the only people losing out are the handful of would-be-kings that are miffed they might not be able to establish their own empires. And that is only a MAYBE.

The conversation should really be about what SBS is doing to ensure that bought advantages are not permanent, not whether pre-launch world building funds are right or not.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    The catch is this:

Caspian - Today at 9:35 PM @Rahl Draikskorn Ⓥ Unless my attorney says otherwise, we're not going to stop you.

Their attorney will tell them otherwise. There are some pretty serious legal issues if they state that resale is legal. The legal solution is to make it illegal, and then dont do anything about it.. but statements like this in the public could cause them problems if someone wants to push it.
    GdemamiOctagon7711Asm0deus
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I have little hope for this game
    Octagon7711Panther2103
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'll follow this game and just wait and see because the plan and the game will be two different things.  It sounds interesting enough but so does every game until it actually comes out.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Not followed the game for a while so I don't know anything about this latest RMT thing but I still do not understand how people confuse buying items pre-launch meant to flesh out the world with other mmos where you can buy advantage post-launch. The two are fundamentally not the same. 

The conversation should really be about what SBS is doing to ensure that bought advantages are not permanent, not whether pre-launch world building funds are right or not.
    I agree with your summary, if they can ensure no insurmountable advantage your first point is valid.

If however they can't then IMO it's actually worse they won't be selling the same advantages post launch.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• grimmlibertygrimmliberty Member UncommonPosts: 41
    edited August 2017
    I read the first page, got to the second, LOLed, skipped to the 12th... and will say this, 

The only thing you can buy For Your Character once the game goes live is Sparks of Life in the store, and most of the pre-buys have a shit tons already..... Really it is "game time" like PLEX in EVE...

All "in game currency" will be Limited, there is a Set Amount, unlike most MMO "infinite" RNG mill mobs(that cause hyperdeflation).
    Mobs won't be dropping anything, you'll need to "use a tool and some skill"(=time) to even gain "a fur", et al, from whatever you can kill. 

There probably will be farmers, but in all honesty it will dry up fast because there isn't an endless supply. Gold Farming requires that. A closed loop system means you have to work for it whether you want to or not. Even RAIDs get's you little gain for the effort. 

[edit]
    As for pre-buy's advantage, they gain a little power and a lot of responsibility. The main thing is they start with housing and transportation. ALL of which they could lose to roaming band of griefers the first week without lots of planning... LOL
    (and they WILL lose the mounts over time anyhow, because they age...)
    [/edit]

In any event, it will be interesting. 

TheScavengerAsm0deus

Sincerely,
    Grimm Liberty

"they gain a little power". LOL

Amazon is a little eCommerce company...

Asm0deusJamesGoblin