Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Combat Almost Always 90% or More of MMORPG Content?

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

True enough.  I did everything on the list except for dance lessons, singing in choir, and operating a lemonade stand.  But I did have my own personal yard sale in my front yard once.  A cop actually wanted to buy my baseball card collection.  And he tried to rip me off too, lol.

you where a busy boy as a kid, I was busy building the Space Shuttle out of legos which I guess is why I like kerbal space program and voxel games

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• cantankerousmagecantankerousmage Member UncommonPosts: 992
    edited May 2017

SEANMCAD said:

True enough.  I did everything on the list except for dance lessons, singing in choir, and operating a lemonade stand.  But I did have my own personal yard sale in my front yard once.  A cop actually wanted to buy my baseball card collection.  And he tried to rip me off too, lol.

you where a busy boy as a kid, I was busy building the Space Shuttle out of legos which I guess is why I like kerbal space program and voxel games

Well, I had two older half-brothers, a younger sister, a father who loved sports (he was a professional radio broadcaster), and a handful of good friends in my neighborhood.  Unfortunately, I spent more time messing around and slacking off than I did studying starting in my freshman year of high school.  I could have graduated in the International Baccalaureate program if I hadn't hated school so much.  By my sophomore year, I was in normal classes because I refused to do most of my three hours of homework a night.

That's cool though.  I did like Legos, but I preferred the medieval sets.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    17 professions in Wushu. From music to calligraphy. I was a Calligrapher.   
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    @bcbully - Unfortunately, with Wushu, the negatives outweigh the positives for me. 

There are good ideas floating out there in many different games.  Maybe it would be a good idea if some of these developers decided to cooperate instead of compete.  Make a few (or even a handful) of really good (or even great) games instead of making a lot of decent, adequate, or so-so games.
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736

@Eldurian - Scripted and predictable dungeons.  Progression and power for the sake of progression and power.  That's what we get for making people think that mmorpgs are supposed to be 90% combat or more. And classes or characters don't need or want many (if any) skills and/or abilities that aren't directly related to combat. Thank you Everkill and World of Warcrap. You have ruined the glorious possibilities of Massively Multi-player Online Role-Playing Games and transformed basically the whole genre into Monstrously Monotonous Online Repeat-Pay Grinds.

In most pencil-and-paper rpgs, characters/classes have different skills and abilities that are often required or wanted to do certain things in the game that other classes can't do.  At the very least, they can make things easier for your party in different kinds of situations.  Or provide a group/party with a different method for solving or dealing with a potential problem or encounter that doesn't involve being forced to kill.  In original D&D, that's how it worked. That was the reason why everyone didn't play a fighter.  Even though fighters usually had more hit points, could wear heavier armor with better defense, could equip shields, and used heavier weapons that generally did more damage. 

If every character/class has different skills and abilities that could potentially be useful in any given encounter, adventure, or dungeon, then we don't even need the holy trinity of tank-healer-dps.  We could get rid of the illogical nonsense that a one or two-handed sword in a the hands of a fighter cannot do much as damage as a dagger in the hands of a rogue or an arrow on the string of a ranger's bow.  And, yes, it is equally stupid that a mace in the hands of a cleric or a staff in the hands of a druid cannot ever do as much damage as a spell cast by a wizard.

For those who might not be aware, in real life, getting a mace or a sword swung into your face would most likely kill you just as dead as a dagger in the back, an arrow in the eye, or a mage's fireball.

But when the only real, tangible goal in most MMORPGs is to become more powerful (and when that is the predominant holy, orthodox, and accepted paradigm), WoW clones and imitators with different bells and whistles are generally what we get. Over and over and over.

Even in our current epic 6 campaign my character is 1 Barbarian 2 Fighter 3 Ranger. He's an exceptionally martial character with a bit of utility thrown in. But he didn't go the standard route of "I take the most HP possible and do the most damage possible."

Let me read you some of his feats:

Spiked Chain Proficiency
    Net Proficiency
    Quick Draw
    Combat Expertise
    Improved Disarm
    Net and Chain (Homebrew feat a prerequisite of quickdraw that allows me to make a full attack with a spiked chain after throwing a net.)

I'm sure you can see this is a very non-standard fighter. In combat he focuses on negating the threat of opponents through disarms and catching them in nets.

In a standard MMO this would just be a CC/Support character. In D&D he wins encounters for us and specializes in taking opponents alive.
    @Eldurian - Cool.  Sounds like fun to play.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    EQ2 had such a great in depth crafting system too, shame they dumbed it down so much.
    I did like EQ2's crafting system.  That sort of thing could be applied to a lot more tasks and jobs than just crafting though.  Humans can do a lot more than gather, craft, explore, decorate interiors, and fight.  Sure you have a limited economy involving buying and selling of goods in most games, but it's not very complex.  And politics is normally restricted to guild politics.

I did like EQ2's crafting system.  That sort of thing could be applied to a lot more tasks and jobs than just crafting though.  Humans can do a lot more than gather, craft, explore, decorate interiors, and fight.  Sure you have a limited economy involving buying and selling of goods in most games, but it's not very complex.  And politics is normally restricted to guild politics.

to be honest EQ2 crafting compared to crafting of today in games like Life is Feudal and MANY more is very remedial and basic

edited May 2017
    @SEANMCAD - Very remedial and basic is how I would define most things in most modern mmorpgs. 

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/ by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Thomson_Iserbyt

Also good to know names like Ivan Pavlov, B.F. Skinner, and John Dewey if we want to understand why people aren't as smart as they once were

Post edited by cantankerousmage on

@SEANMCAD - Very remedial and basic is how I would define most things in most modern mmorpgs. 

http://www.deliberatedumbingdown.com/ by https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Thomson_Iserbyt

Also good to know names like Ivan Pavlov, B.F. Skinner, and John Dewey if we want to understand why people aren't as smart as they once were

if you want a hint at some crafting that would make you laugh at your past feelings regarding crafting in EQ2 I would suggest trying out Life is Fuedual, Wurm Online and for non-mmo's Space Engineers, 7 days to die

I won't play Life is Feudal until it is released.  As for Wurm, I'm running Windows 8.1 (unfortunately), and Java won't seem to give me a 64 bit version that will let me run Wurm Online for some reason. 

I'm not a fan of anything to do with space except for Star Wars.  And maybe not even that anymore.  Disney has forever tarnished the vision of Lucas in my mind.

Episode VII:  The Force Awakens to Political Correctness (Not to mention it was just basically a horrible, uninspired rewrite of Episode IV)

But then they released Rogue One and changed everything.  Darth Vader is now the ultimate power in the universe.  Forget about the Death Star.  The entire first series will have to be remade.

Episode IV:  A New Hope Crushed By Vader
    Episode V:  The Empire Stretches Out to the Far Corners of the Galaxy
    Episode VI:  The Eternal Reign of the Sith

edited May 2017

I won't play Life is Feudal until it is released.  As for Wurm, I'm running Windows 8.1 (unfortunately), and Java won't seem to give me a 64 bit version that will let me run Wurm Online for some reason. 

I'm not a fan of anything to do with space except for Star Wars.  And maybe not even that anymore.  Disney has forever tarnished the vision of Lucas in my mind.

Episode VII:  The Force Awakens to Political Correctness (Not to mention it was just basically a horrible, uninspired rewrite of Episode IV)

But then they released Rogue One and changed everything.  Darth Vader is now the ultimate power in the universe.  Forget about the Death Star.  The entire first series will have to be remade.

Episode IV:  A New Hope Crushed By Vader
    Episode V:  The Empire Stretches Out to the Far Corners of the Galaxy
    Episode VI:  The Eternal Reign of the Sith

I ran Wurm on windows 7 and windows 10 just fine. Its a pain in the ass to get java set up but once that is done its done.

I am not trying to sell you on a specific game and to have each one shot down with crys of a river, I am trying to just illustrate that in 2017 EQ2 crafting is ridiculous.
    I encourage you, and all gamers really, to get with the times and take a look at what is happening in the gaming market around building games. refusal to do so or crying about it,  please let me know ahead of time so I can stop wasting my time and let people live to thinking Eq2 crafting is the shit while I roll my eyes in the background because I dont want to work too hard at this sillyness

That is my way of saying this:
    as a gamer who crafts most of his time I can tell you given MANY games that are out now in this area that EQ2 is some grade A bullshit when it comes to crafting and its so painfully obvious to those who are initiated I do not feel the need to proove it other than to give someone a slight nudge in the obvious direction

edited May 2017
    You're a jerk.  I never said that EQ2 crafting was the best over.  It's just the best that I've experienced so far.  I would have tried Wurm a long time ago, but I can't seem to get it to load.  If I used my old hard drive that runs Vista, it would probably be fine, but I don't want to go to that much trouble.

You're a jerk.  I never said that EQ2 crafting was the best over.  It's just the best that I've experienced so far.  I would have tried Wurm a long time ago, but I can't seem to get it to load.  If I used my old hard drive that runs Vista, it would probably be fine, but I don't want to go to that much trouble.

I am not suggesting EQ2 crafting is the best ever.

I am suggesting its terrible....compared to today crafting.

I know that.  I understand that.  I may have read your post from yesterday wrong, but it's all clear to me now. 

However, my statement that most things in modern MMORPGs is remedial and basic holds true.

Where is the logic in most games?  What about things like weight, encumbrance, hunger, thirst, fatigue?  Mobs with strengths and weaknesses? 

I know that.  I understand that.  I may have read your post from yesterday wrong, but it's all clear to me now. 

However, my statement that most things in modern MMORPGs is remedial and basic holds true.

Where is the logic in most games?  What about things like weight, encumbrance, hunger, thirst, fatigue?  Mobs with strengths and weaknesses? 

yes in most MMOs its insulting simple but there are trends in the non-mmo space that is showing strong signs of hope however my impression of gamers jumping on to such games is likely inflated.

edited May 2017
    Well, if we abandon all hope for the future, we're just surrendering to the forces of darkness.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited May 2017
    Combat is like "free content" for the Devs.  They don't have to write it (other than coding the parameters).  The players provide it.

Alternative content like crafting just feels really scripted to me, though, like painting by numbers.  You just follow instructions.  Although honestly, most MMO combat isn't much better- once you learn the best "rotation", you just press those buttons in the correct order over and over ad infinitum.

I certainly think interesting non-combat content could be introduced in MMOs, but it would have to be innovative.  It's much easier to make the games combat focused.

Combat is like "free content" for the Devs.  They don't have to write it (other than coding the parameters).  The players provide it.

Alternative content like crafting just feels really scripted to me, though, like painting by numbers.  You just follow instructions.  Although honestly, most MMO combat isn't much better- once you learn the best "rotation", you just press those buttons in the correct order over and over ad infinitum.

I certainly think interesting non-combat content could be introduced in MMOs, but it would have to be innovative.  It's much easier to make the games combat focused.

The fact that these games are too easy is one of the reasons the MMORPG market has been so stale and stagnant for years.

• DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I'm just gonna say. Doctor Strange Movie is about sorcerers fighting sorcerers with sorcery. 90% of all fight scenes in that movie is people punching other people.

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
    Well, it's a superhero action movie.  There are a lot more movies in the world besides action movies.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

DrDread74 said:

I'm just gonna say. Doctor Strange Movie is about sorcerers fighting sorcerers with sorcery. 90% of all fight scenes in that movie is people punching other people.

The Raven

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Completely agree. I play a Denobulin Doctor on Star Trek Online I've reached max level on everything that has to do with medicine (I'm Chief Medical Officer) and my ship spends all it's time now fighting things. There's no healing in the game to speak of. The special event episodes have nothing specific to my class. None of the missions for the exploration side of things (which is laughably missing in an IP that was basically all about exploration) are gone. There's no missions to heal people or even coordinate my teams.

Even missions to create things like hyposprays are RNG basically my medical team could FAIL to replicate the large hypos even though they are purple and orange quality medical personnel!

It's a sad state of affairs over there!
    I think it's a pretty sad state of affairs in most MMORPGs.  Hulk smash!