Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESL Guild Wars 2 is officially shutting down

Comments

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689
    ESL?

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• PinoXPinoX Member UncommonPosts: 71
    edited April 2017
    This game esport pvp was pretty much Dead on Arrival, Anet finally pull the plug on the life support cord.

The price you pay for designing and balancing combat synergy around 5 players holding a node. This also creep into pve where most combo fields, boons and traits boons are literally melee range, making the game become melee oriented. Hence, the cancerous stacking on and for everything.
    They thought it is fixed in fractal with mistlock instability-social awkwardness, not really, you could easily heal through it.

Spammable cc is a bad idea for competitive pvp.

Good riddance GW2 ESL. My guess is they will attempt to revive it on next expansion.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Was it a PvP site then from the remarks  above that's my conclusion? I thought that the PvP was one of the better aspects of the game.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I actually thought this was some foreign educational program "English as a Second Language"  type of thing.
    Tiller
  • theNILVtheNILV Member UncommonPosts: 49
    This one was long time coming, I'm actually surprised that it even went this long and far. 

Arenanet had probably greatest opportunity to bring mmorpg into competitive esports, but sadly they were too slow at fixing shit. It's really a shame because kinda enjoyed the PvP in the game when it launched. 
    Proud member of best EU roleplaying guild
    Twitter - @theNILV
    Twitch - @theNILV
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    kitarad said:
    Was it a PvP site then from the remarks  above that's my conclusion? I thought that the PvP was one of the better aspects of the game.
    E-sport is a different matter, it is better then most MMO PvP but that doesn't say much. Watching it isn't as fun as it should be either. Guildwars did a better job as an E-sport then the sequel.

They should honestly tried to make the PvP better before starting on the E-sport thing instead of the other way around. GW2 certainly could improve it's PvP to be good enough for E-sport but as @PinoX say, they need to get rid of the stupid stacking mechanic first (and it would improve PvE as well).
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    PvP in this game has always been a joke.  
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Said No Guild Wars 2 player, ever.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    edited April 2017
    Torval said:
    Loke666 said:
    kitarad said:
    E-sport is a different matter, it is better then most MMO PvP but that doesn't say much. Watching it isn't as fun as it should be either. Guildwars did a better job as an E-sport then the sequel.

They should honestly tried to make the PvP better before starting on the E-sport thing instead of the other way around. GW2 certainly could improve it's PvP to be good enough for E-sport but as @PinoX say, they need to get rid of the stupid stacking mechanic first (and it would improve PvE as well).
    PvP took off as an e-sport in GW1 because it was fun and people enjoyed competing in and watching matches and it included GvG which was huge.

Anet sort of put the horse before the cart with GW2. They did that in a lot of ways, made assumptions about popularity of interest, before finding out if their core player base even liked that. I think they're going after the attrition from the WoW crowd now with their raids and WoW style seasonal stuff.
    GW1 GvG was popular while there were $100K tournaments. When Anet stopped those the popularity of GvG went down the drain.
    And no GvG not only wasn't particularly fun to watch it was very hard for anyone not heavy into it to spot the pieces of skill like timely weapo swapping to hide energy or timely blackouts on the enemy monk.

If Anet wanted to have a popular Esport format they should have turned it into something similar to a moba, with in match leveling and character development.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    It's a lot better than the GEAR CENTRIC PVP.
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    DMKano said:
    was a shit idea from the start.

If you want to have your game be esports - then build an esports game from scratch.

True. That applies for all mmorpgs out there trying to do PvP esports. This news is for the best IMO. No more valuable resources wasted on esports.

• MalcomLittleMalcomLittle Member CommonPosts: 3
    @DMKano

The money and fame blinded ANet.

There was no foundation of balanced skills.
    Constant Players versus points (not players)
    F2P lie of being competitive upon download when runes and amulets are under paywall or HoT expansions.

Once Colin and Grouch committed the lie, they ran it till they left the company.
    and.... Amazon now have them on their next MMO.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,821

BizkitNL said:

Actually, said me. One of the most avid Guild Wars players here. 
  • pandaclysmpandaclysm Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I think esports are horrible for online game and say good riddance.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Aeander said:

BizkitNL said:

I would disagree with that.  PvP is fun.. they just don't know how to balance classes very well. It's one of the more fun PvP systems out there.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Aeander said:

BizkitNL said:

Thats quite a self-proclamation there. 

Tastes differ, but the PvP is what has kept GW2 rolling up untill today.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878

In term of balance, I agree.

PvP gameplay itself is quite fun IMO.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

BizkitNL said:

The pvp was terrible. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

BizkitNL said:
    Tastes differ, but the PvP is what has kept GW2 rolling up untill today.

huh? I'm pretty sure the cosmetic items in the cash shop is what have kept GW2 rolling until today.
    [Deleted User]
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Not really news to me, thinking that GW2 had a strong pvp didn't really hold water.

Engineer explosives still bad, enemies dance on mines, shrapnel does nothing, and across the whole game Conditions still don't crit. So yeah the game as far as pvp is terrible what's worse is they balance PVE around it as well which crushes several builds everytime there's a major change.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited June 2017
    They tried to push PvP since day one like their highest priority for the game, they were unable to really, Guild Wars 1, however, had PvP actively ongoing for 7 years after its release... It's something that GW2 didn't live up to. O.o
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
       This shocking news .....................lmfao , we tryed to warn yas this wouldnt work
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited June 2017
    Yeah this honestly was dead when it was announced, waste to even try. But everyone thinks they can be Blizzard or at least ride their coat-tails when trying to make everything they do have a professional competitive aspect.