Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time for a new ^%&@# mouse---Stop buying mainstream junk

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
edited October 2019 in Hardware
Well my G600 started the well known double F'n clicking issue and it's out of warranty.....so the hunt begins. TBH I haven't had the best luck with Logitech anything lasting more than three years (besides my G710+ keyboard), and I have been buying their stuff for the last 15+ years.  I bought this mouse 4 years ago, but went about a year not using it much since I played games mostly on my laptop. I would say I got about 3 years out of it; this to me seems like below average for a mouse. Maybe it's just time to change in brands.

I'm looking for a new mouse, I alternate between claw grip and tip grip. I am not necessarily looking for an MMO specific mouse as I rarely use the added buttons since they tend to be on the small side and I have bigger hands, plus I like to play FPS and RPG so I only really need 2-3 left side buttons. I kinda want mechanical buttons that have a more tactical click and will last. Wired preferred and nothing reaching into the $150 range since there really is no F'n point in spending that much on a mouse in my opinion.

So far I have looked at

Corsair - Scimitar Pro (MMO gaming mouse but seems like it would be good multi use mouse)
Corsair - M65 PRO  (really like the aluminum frame even if it is FPS)
Logitech - G502 Proteus Spectrum ( Logitech, will it fail in a few years?) good all around mouse I guess
Razer - Lancehead Tournament Edition (not a huge fan of razor as I hear they either have buggy software, or really bad quality control, but this is a new mouse)
ROCCAT - TYON (this seems like a huge leap away from the mainstream pack)
SteelSeries - Rival 700 Gaming Mouse (again not as mainstream)

Anyone here tried any of these mice? Local Bestbuy doesn't seem to have any of the above to try so I'm basing the decision off youtube and review opinions. Thanks in advance.

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Post edited by Tiller on

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited May 2017
    Honestly, 3 years is pretty good for a mouse, especially if it's a daily driver.

I was a logitech fan for mouses for a long time (the G5 is still my favorite, and also using a G710 KB), but after a 500 wasn't quite was I was looking for I tried a Corsair M65, and I like it almost as well as the G5. I've had it for... a lil over a year now - no issues yet.

Tried a couple of different Razers and a Steelseries inbetween finding the Corsair - I didn't like the way the Steelseries felt in my hand, and I wasn't happy with the Razers either.
    Post edited by Ridelynn on
    Sovrath
  • frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
    I have a G502 Spectrum. Love it and the ability to adjust to mousepad surface. I use a Razer Sphex pad and I can adjust so the lift off is almost immediate in those times I do lift and reposition. Sensor is as accurate as I've ever used and probably more accurate than my old eyes and reflexes need. The RGB is whatever. I left it as it came out the box. If that's your thing it is easy enough to configure with their software.

The way I hold the mouse naturally, the thumb button is just past the tip of my thumb. I usually have my wrist resting on the pad and use it as a pivot, moving forwards and back by going from a tip grip to a claw grip. Don't know if that's how you alternate between the two, but that's my reference. I rarely bother mapping the thumb as I don't like moving my hand on the mouse, but as a bonus, I never accidentally hit it.

I had a G7 that got doubleclickitis so I know the burn. Oddly, it went away after a bit. I got my G502 shortly after they came out and haven't had an issue with it yet, but it's barely been over a year. Wouldn't blame you at all for not giving them another shot though.

As for the others, I have a Fry's and a MicroCenter both pretty close by and I'm constantly looking keyboards and mice for reasons I can't explain so I've tried most of them.

Roccat felt a little odd, but pretty similar to the G7. I already had the 502 by the time I checked it out. The G502 feels a little thinner in the ass than the G7 and Tyon to me.

Scimitar felt odd to me. I have a G600 also, but never use it because it feels odd as well. So it might work better for you.

Almost bought a M65 when I got the G502. The Pro I don't think was out yet. Only thing I didn't like was that I could feel the side cutaways on the back end when I brought it into a claw position. I'm pretty sure I would have gotten used to them, but the initial feel was weird. I also couldn't completely decide when I was messing with it in the store whether or not I liked the aim button and location.

Never tried the Razer Lancehead. 

I've tried the Steelseries 300 and 500. Not the 700. Just seen in the box. Profile wise it looks similar to the 500 though, which I thought was comfortable.

Side note: check your local Walmart also. A lot of them carry Steelseries now. Probably not the 700, but never know.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I use an M65 RGB. Feels nice in the hand and I have it pulsing a light blue to white. Corsair is also coming out with the Glaive. Definitely recommend holding each mouse as each hand is different. For instance I could not stand a RAT 7, but the Corsair is pretty much the same dimensions but feels better in the hand. The weights go in a little weird on the M65 and don't go in flush. Build quality with Corsair is pretty good in my opinion. Only issue I had was a Corsair H80i green color in the LED going out of dozens of products I have bought from them.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765

frostymug said:

I have a G502 Spectrum.

I use the 402, more simple. More expensive mouses tend to be over-complex D:
    rojoArcueid
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited May 2017

Ridelynn said:

Honestly, 3 years is pretty good for a mouse, especially if it's a daily driver.

I was a logitech fan for mouses for a long time (the G5 is still my favorite, and also using a G710 KB), but after a 500 wasn't quite was I was looking for I tried a Corsair M65, and I like it almost as well as the G5. I've had it for... a lil over a year now - no issues yet.

Tried a couple of different Razers and a Steelseries inbetween finding the Corsair - I didn't like the way the Steelseries felt in my hand, and I wasn't happy with the Razers either.

I had a G5 and that was my favorite mouse back in the day. I liked the ability to adjust weight. It died long ago, but if I could find something else that had the same similar shape and size It would be best I think
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

Been using an M65 for a good long while now and it's been fantastic.  My roommate however did have an issue with his roller button clicking not working, and he got a roccat to replace it and has been happy.

Thing about mice is they're so subjective.  If you have fingertip vs claw vs palm, etc, one mouse might be anathema to you that another person thinks is the best thing ever.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I've been using the Cyborg RAT 9 for a few years now.  It's a great mouse.  It adjusts in so many ways so different size/shape hands are able to be comfortable.  Best mouse i've ever used in regards to comfort.  The second part that makes this mouse so awesome for me is the software it uses.  It is so easy to make and store mouse profiles for every game you play.  The software works like a champ. 

Mad Catz just went bankrupt so I doubt you'll see more of these mice in the  future.  I'm trying to grab another before they disappear myself.  Anyone use this mouse and transitioned over to a different mouse that you would recommend?  
    [Deleted User]

Cleffy said:

I use an M65 RGB. Feels nice in the hand and I have it pulsing a light blue to white. Corsair is also coming out with the Glaive. Definitely recommend holding each mouse as each hand is different. For instance I could not stand a RAT 7, but the Corsair is pretty much the same dimensions but feels better in the hand. The weights go in a little weird on the M65 and don't go in flush. Build quality with Corsair is pretty good in my opinion. Only issue I had was a Corsair H80i green color in the LED going out of dozens of products I have bought from them.

The Glaive just came out and this is the one I am considering. I like that you can change out the left side thumb rests. I usually like a wide thumb rest for playing MMOs where your mouse hand isn't as active, but like narrower feel for FPS and MMOs with hybrid combat. Saves me from having to either buy 2 different mice, or settle on one style. No tilt scroll wheel as usual with Corsair mice, but I never use tilt if I have it anyways; it was always a "just in case" feature.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

I like the way the Glaive looks, will have to check one out next time I'm in the store

• OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited May 2017
    Oh man, the double clicking issue.. I used to use a couple macros for chat when I was playing WoW and my mouse started doing it, made me feel bad spamming chat lol.

Anyway, I've always liked using the Razer Naga, and a while ago I got the Razer Blackwidow keyboard as well. 

Both still work perfectly fine, maybe a bit overpriced compared to similar things, but I like their products.

Only thing is, I don't really use the buttons anymore on the Razer Naga because I quit WoW (and they made the game revolve around 10~ buttons a class compared to 40~ in MoP).
    ultimateduck
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    If you want something simple and solid I would go with a steel series rival.  Seems to be made well has a textured grip and works good for me.  Only quirk I have had was with black ops III.  I have trouble at the beginning of the first match after I load it.  My guy will auto walk forward and do nothing I can turn, but not shoot or do anything else.   This lasts for a good 20 seconds and after that it works perfect.  I dont know if its a COD issue a mouse issue or something else.  It is the only game that does this and I have no idea why.  It is the strangest thing.......Anyways  I had 2 razer mice and not impressed.  I had the naga with the 12 buttons and I was not patient / coordinated enough to use it properly.  I also had a mamba which did not last that long before it started double clicking everything. 
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    I purchased the older model Corsair M45 over 2 years ago now and it's built really well. Still going strong.

• skakrukskakruk Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Your mouse might be out of warranty, but have you tried contacting Logitech? They might surprise you. I got a replacement for a mouse I got 3 years ago OFF EBAY!
  • WingclipWingclip Member UncommonPosts: 54
    Last 5 or 6 years mice only last me just over a year then break. g600 13 months,mad katz mmo7 15 months, Razer naga 3 months and now Roccat Tyon 18 months and good as new. Feels well built, software does what I need it to do,. If it broke tomorrow I would buy another one.   
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    G502 Proteus Spectrum and I love it

I purchased the SteelSeries Rival for competitive FPS and I am very satisfied with it. 

If you needed a mouse for MMOs with many buttons, I would say do not get the Rival, but for FPS, it is one of the best mice you can get.

I would also recommend reading this article: 

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-gaming-mouse/

Good read. I don't personally care for Razers, but the article was informative and he gives pros/cons for all the mice he considers.
  • KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Wingclip said:

Last 5 or 6 years mice only last me just over a year then break. g600 13 months,mad katz mmo7 15 months, Razer naga 3 months and now Roccat Tyon 18 months and good as new. Feels well built, software does what I need it to do,. If it broke tomorrow I would buy another one.   

Considering your avatar, you must be violent with your mice lol.

To the OP:

I've had three Razer naga's over the last 6ish years. I'm pretty sure I got my first around 2010-11. Best mmo mouse, imo. First one died on me after about 3 years. The second one lasted me about two years until I accidentally dropped it and broke the scroll wheel. I've had the last one for almost a year, still going strong.

My only complaint is that the Naga is a bit on the larger side, so if you don't have longer fingers or a bigger palm it may get uncomfortable.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Oh whenever you get a new mouse, definitely install the drivers from the manufacturers website. If not you might experience double-clicking from Windows Mouse Drivers.

Cleffy said:

Oh whenever you get a new mouse, definitely install the drivers from the manufacturers website. If not you might experience double-clicking from Windows Mouse Drivers.

Yeah I always disable those.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

edited May 2017

skakruk said:

Your mouse might be out of warranty, but have you tried contacting Logitech? They might surprise you. I got a replacement for a mouse I got 3 years ago OFF EBAY!

Tried it, they gave me a generic answer and closed the ticket before it
    was even resolved and never offered to tell me how I could get it fixed.
    I then opened the ticket again, left them a nice message and left it at
    that. It was at that point I knew it was time to walk away from Logitech.

Little back story on why I hate them.

Years ago I bought a Logitech g15 keyboard, within 6 months of using it the
    key lettering began to wear off since they were just painted on. I asked
    for a replacement and they stated they couldn't even under warranty
    since it is not a mechanical failure due to manufacturing issue and if I
    wanted to send mine in I would be charged so I left it alone. Couple
    years go by and I start seeing the complaints that have mounted against
    them for the exact issue. I guess at one point they changed their minds
    and issued replacements for a short time. By this time they had already
    put out the G15 v2, so I asked if I could have mine replaced and of
    course since I was out of warranty by 2 months it was a no go. I asked
    if they had replacement keys, and got the generic response that they
    can't give replacement keys. Come to find out they had given out
    replacement keys to some customers.

I gave them another chance and I have of course since bought more of their
    products only because they seem to shovel out feature packed peripherals faster compared to most companies by at least a few years. Which is the problem, their
    speed to market is obviously too fast as their quality control sucks.
    They are notorious for shoving crap out, then fixing issues over many
    versions rather than getting it right the first time. I don't mind
    companies that revise their products with updates for the emerging
    market, but I don't like buying stuff that fails due to their negligence
    in thoroughly testing a product for before hitting the market.
    So with that said I am moving on from Logitech.

SWG Bloodfin vet

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I've been using Razer mice for about 10 years now.
    Never had a problem with any of them. Each mouse worked perfectly fine for years, up until I replaced it with a newer model.

I agree the software is poor. Can't say the same about quality control - at least not in my case.

I'm currently using a Mamba Tournament Edition.

This is a personal preference, but I'd stay away from MMO mice. The buttons always felt like a gimmick, and the mouse is more difficult to grip due to having less free space.

laxie said:

I've been using Razer mice for about 10 years now.
    Never had a problem with any of them. Each mouse worked perfectly fine for years, up until I replaced it with a newer model.

I agree the software is poor. Can't say the same about quality control - at least not in my case.

I'm currently using a Mamba Tournament Edition.

This is a personal preference, but I'd stay away from MMO mice. The buttons always felt like a gimmick, and the mouse is more difficult to grip due to having less free space.

Yeah am staying away from MMO mice. After using the G600 for a few years I found it more annoying and less comfortable to use. I only need two thumb buttons for any gaming I do. I ended up deciding to give the Corsair Glaive a go. It's not the coolest looking mouse but I like the modular capability and Omron switches.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Bought two Razer Nagas.  First one failed with middle button not clicking and left button double clicking after 18-24 months.  Second one failed with middle mouse button intermittently failing and finally mouse wheel shaft breaking after about 18 months.  The mouse wheel potentiometer shaft was intentionally narrowed to about 1/16" and that's where it broke. 

I moved to the Logitech G600 and have had no mechanical issues for the last 2-3 years.  Biggest issue I've had is accidentally pushing the re-assignable buttons to change DPI settings.  WTF just happened!  I didn't want to spin around 2 1/4 times and end up looking at the sky!

JeffSpicoli
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited September 2017
    I have had Logitech Mice for years I love them and luckily no issues so far but others have so no idea. G600 and then before that the G700 . I have two G600 actually now afraid one might pack up and bought another. I hear red dragon is good too. Using daily three years is pretty good for a mouse . How long do you expect it to last ? Redragon Perdition

Post edited by cheyane on
    Alverant
    Chamber of Chains
    edited May 2017
    Torval said:
    Glad you like the Glaive. How do you like the CUE software?

I decided to get the Corsair Sabre RGB. It's not perfect but it's pretty good so far. I wish it were about 5mm longer. The button behind the scroll wheel can't be reached without changing grip and the middle mouse button doesn't have a freewheel toggle like the G700s and G900 did. I still like this better than the G900 Chaos Spectrum and it's a third the price.

I also got the K70 LUX RGB with Brown Cherry MX switches. It's a dream.

The CUE software isn't as intuitive as the Logitech Gaming Software (LGS), but it's more powerful in how you can program lighting effects.

One major pro for both is I can store the configuration profile onboard the keyboard and I believe the mouse as well.

I sent the G610 and G900 to work to replace an aging Dell chiclet keyboard and M500 mouse.
    It's ok so far, still getting used to it. I have been switching out grips to see what I like best. A good comparison would be a stretched limo compared to Volkswagen bus. It sits a little squat and narrow so it's a bit more awkward to pick up but allows your hand to rest comfortably on it. Side buttons are in a good location and set back so no accidental clicks during lift off. I wish the mouse buttons curved down a bit more but it's still functional. If I used palm grip my fingers would be off the mouse, but since I use finger tip grip most times it's not an issue.  When I bought the G600 it took me forever to get used to since the shape forced you to rest your ring finger on the g-shift button; which I never used. I have another Logitech mouse with the free wheel design and I like, but it isn't a necessity for full time gaming, mostly good for work like scrolling fast through large excel spreadsheets.

All in all it's a decent mouse that does what I need it to and no more. As for the CUE software you are right, it's not as intuitive as Logitech's, but It works and seems to have more customization capabilities. I wish the they added onscreen DPI cues, but I mostly play in one or two dpi settings so it's not needed. I know some people complained that the DPI lighting on the mouse was not customizable, but I have never thought it was issue.  I almost went for the M65 which I felt was the closest in shape to the G600, but the fact that I would change the side grips on the Glaive sold me on it.

Edit: One thing I have noticed is that the Corsair RGB Logo gets warm after it's been cycling for about 30 min or so. While this isn't a deal breaker I could see ho wit might get annoying to some. Not sure what's going on there with that issue.
    Post edited by Tiller on
    [Deleted User]
    SWG Bloodfin vet